Why I won't be buying this game new...

Lucario666

Okay, after the financially successful/critical failure that was Fates, and after Echoes flopped, I think we can all expect this new game to play a lot like Fates (and to most likely suck too). I could go into detail about everything wrong with Fates, but I think everyone here on the forums knows why people hate it. So, considering how we can expect this new game to most likely suck, I won't be giving both IS and Nintendo of America/Treehouse my hard earned money and will just buy it used to formulate my own opinion. Screw them for pandering to normies and screw NoA/Treehouse for censoring. All of you reading this are more than welcome to buy it however you want, but just don't expect me to give a single penny to them. 

7 minutes ago, FuckThisPizza said:

and after Echoes flopped

We have no reason to believe Echoes was a flop in the eyes of Nintendo or Intelligent Systems. 

8 minutes ago, FuckThisPizza said:

I could go into detail about everything wrong with Fates, but I think everyone here on the forums knows why people hate it.

You're making a childish post with no real basis in our current knowledge of our game and you won't even explain your reasoning? Besides, most people here agree that Conquest has stellar gameplay.

9 minutes ago, FuckThisPizza said:

Screw them for pandering to normies

I'm flabbergasted by this comment. Even if we go by your logic, their "pandering to normies" increases the amount of money they make.

Just now, FuckThisPizza said:

I'm just going off of history, facts and logic here. 

You're doing anything but. My suggestion is that you relax, wait for news and make an informed decision later.

1 minute ago, Thane said:

We have no reason to believe Echoes was a flop in the eyes of Nintendo or Intelligent Systems. 

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/154085/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia/ Now compare this to the sales of Fates and Awakening. 

1 minute ago, Thane said:

You're making a childish post with no real basis in our current knowledge of our game and you won't even explain your reasoning? Besides, most people here agree that Conquest has stellar gameplay.

I didn't bother explaining why Fates was terrible because it's pretty much common knowledge amongst open minded FE fans at this point and I don't feel like typing a gigantic text wall. 

2 minutes ago, Thane said:

I'm flabbergasted by this comment. Even if we go by your logic, their "pandering to normies" increases the amount of money they make.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's automatically good. 

3 minutes ago, Thane said:

You're doing anything but. My suggestion is that you relax, wait for news and make an informed decision later.

Like I said, I don't have any news, but I do have history and facts on my side, and the history of Fates' success is what's going to influence the game. Just take a look at how Awakening influenced Fates and see how that turned out. 

2 minutes ago, Florete said:

Good for you. But I do wonder: What timeline are you from?

What do you mean? 

2 minutes ago, Emeraldfox said:

How was Fates a critical failure and how did SoV flop?

Look at how people (such as myself) hate Fates. Also, did you see the sales numbers for SoV? The game flopped, and the roster for FE Warriors kinda proves my point. 

1 minute ago, FuckThisPizza said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/154085/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia/ Now compare this to the sales of Fates and Awakening. 

1) vgchartz is unreliable.

2) Just because it sold less doesn't mean it's a flop according to Nintendo, like I said. It sold through around 80% of its shipments in its first week in Japan.

3 minutes ago, FuckThisPizza said:

I didn't bother explaining why Fates was terrible because it's pretty much common knowledge amongst open minded FE fans at this point and I don't feel like typing a gigantic text wall. 

Open minded fans preemptively assume the next installment will be bad without a shred of news?

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's automatically good. 

And vice versa. 

Besides, why would they opt to make less money? 

4 minutes ago, FuckThisPizza said:

Like I said, I don't have any news, but I do have history and facts on my side, and the history of Fates' success is what's going to influence the game. Just take a look at how Awakening influenced Fates and see how that turned out. 

And then look how different Echoes was. 

I'll stop responding to you now because you're clearly just doing this for shits and giggles.

Look at how people (such as myself) hate Fates. Also, did you see the sales numbers for SoV? The game flopped, and the roster for FE Warriors kinda proves my point. 

That doesn't explain how Fates was a critical failure. Please, in your own words tell me how Fates failed, critically. Also parroting that VGCharts isn't all that reliable.

5 minutes ago, Thane said:

1) vgchartz is unreliable.

2) Just because it sold less doesn't mean it's a flop according to Nintendo, like I said. It sold through around 80% of its shipments in its first week in Japan.

How is it unreliable? 

It sold through 80% because they didn't ship many copies to stores. They weren't confident it would sell so that's why. 

Open minded fans preemptively assume the next installment will be bad without a shred of news?

I said I would give it a chance, I just said I was getting it used. 

And vice versa. 

Besides, why would they opt to make less money? 

Because appealing to the people who actually plays these games works a lot better in the long run? 

And then look how different Echoes was. 

I'll stop responding to you now because you're clearly just doing this for shits and giggles.

How am I doing this just for shits and giggles? 

"That doesn't explain how Fates was a critical failure. Please, in your own words tell me how Fates failed, critically. Also parroting that VGCharts isn't all that reliable."

Okay, how about the fact that the main characters were all idiots, ESPECIALLY Corrin, the children mechanic was forced and had no purpose being there, the story in conquest and revelations being shit, the poor english voice acting, the god awful localization, too much casualization, pheonix mode, removal of any challenge, etc. Need I say more? 

Edited by FuckThisPizza

Ooohh, extrapolation! I'm good at that stuff!

You see, for all I know, Master of Orion was a really solid game back in the day. The sequel was even better - it's one of my favourite 4X games of all time and it has the objectively best abbreviation (MoO2:BaA). Therefore, any calm person, who is not blind or idiotic, can see that the 3rd game of the series must be the absolute peak of space 4X games, or rather video games in general. That's how science works, after all.

I'm loathe to respond to something that is flamebait, but eh why not?

So let me start with this.  I'm nostalgic, in fact if something is old I tend to give it greater value just because it has history, I'm so nostalgic that I idealize time periods where I'd literally have had zero chance of surviving in my current health.  So start with that baseline.

Giving a carte blanche statement that Fates is a critical failure is unfair.  Are there elements of the game that I don't love? Yeah, it isn't my favorite FE game, it probably isn't top 5, but it's still a Fire Emblem and most of the core elements are there.  All of us  who really enjoy the older set of games, whether that's the Tellius saga or the GBA era or even the SNES era, have to come to some grip that things change and everything in life has to change and evolve.  If you want to point out elements of the game you find less than appealing, for me it's the self-insert playing a central role in the plot and the child characters, go right ahead.  But to say they are appealing to more people isn't a flaw, it is the very nature of capitalism and in terms of profitability a good thing, a thing that is required for more Fire Emblem games to be made.  Who knows what the new game will look like, keep an 'open mind', maybe they'll go throwback, maybe they'll do the Fates thing, or maybe they'll come out of left field and do something completely new.  But if enjoy the series, at least go in with idea that they have made 15 'good' games, games that you probably enjoyed a majority of.  So don't lose your temper over something that hasn't happened yet.

Edit:grammar

Edited by Zasplach

7 minutes ago, Zasplach said:

I'm loathe to respond to something that is flamebait, but eh why not?

So let me start with this.  I'm nostalgic, in fact if something is old I tend to give it greater value just because it has history, I'm so nostalgic that I idealize time periods where I'd literally have had zero chance of surviving in my current health.  So start with that baseline.

Giving a carte blanche statement that Fates is a critical failure is unfair.  Were there elements of the game that I don't love? Yeah, it isn't my favorite FE game, it probably isn't type 5, but it's still a Fire Emblem and most of the core elements are there.  All of us  who really enjoy the older set of games, whether that's the Tellius saga or the GBA era or even the SNES era, have to come to some grip that things change and everything in life has to change and evolve.  If you want to point out elements of the game you find less than appealing, for me it's the self-insert playing a central role in the plot and the child characters, go right ahead.  But to say they are appealing to more people isn't a flaw, it is the very nature of capitalism and in terms of profitability a good thing, a thing that is required for more Fire Emblem games to be made.  Who knows what the new game will look like, keep an 'open mind', maybe they'll go throwback, maybe they'll do the Fates thing, or maybe they'll come out of left field and do something completely new.  But if enjoy the series, at least go in with idea that they have made 15 'good' games, games that you probably enjoyed a majority of.  So don't lose your temper over something that hasn't happened yet.

I don't mind the idea of change, what I do mind are changes that are for the worse. The older games would've been more popular/sold more if NoA didn't do a terrible job marketing them outside of Japan. I am keeping an open mind, as I've said, I'm buying it used. Also, what makes you think I'm losing my temper? 

6 minutes ago, FuckThisPizza said:

That doesn't mean I'm going all like "OMG OMG NEWBIES AND SJWS R EVIL!!!!!!!!!!11!!111!!!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!" 

I didn't say you were, but loaded adjectives and generalizations don't tend to suggest levelheadedness. 

8 minutes ago, FuckThisPizza said:

The older games would've been more popular/sold more if NoA didn't do a terrible job marketing them outside of Japan

And I think this is what everyone who loves older Fire Emblem tells themselves, I don't think there is any empirical evidence to suggest this.  I just think it was a mostly niche series that people saw as hard and inescapable, who knows who's right?  It's just like me telling myself that if Kaga stayed on the team they would have kept making games I enjoyed with series themes, who knows? 

Edited by Zasplach

1 hour ago, FuckThisPizza said:

What do you mean? 

Multiple things you've said aren't accurate to the realities of the current timeline, so I assume you've come from a different one and have yet to fully adjust to the differences.

Yeah there's no evidence currently that Echoes was a flop.  Sure it didn't sell as well as Awakening or Fates, but it still sold well.  As for Fates being a "critical failure" I have no idea what you're talking about, since all three versions of Fates got fairly high scores from professional reviews and most of the complaints about it come from a vocal minority within the fandom.  Sure most people agree that Fates' story is hot garbage, but I think the majority of people still think that it's a good game.

11 minutes ago, The Geek said:

Yeah there's no evidence currently that Echoes was a flop.  Sure it didn't sell as well as Awakening or Fates, but it still sold well.  As for Fates being a "critical failure" I have no idea what you're talking about, since all three versions of Fates got fairly high scores from professional reviews and most of the complaints about it come from a vocal minority within the fandom.  Sure most people agree that Fates' story is hot garbage, but I think the majority of people still think that it's a good game.

When I say critical failure, I mean more and more of the fanbase is starting to hate Fates. 

This topic is a failure.

Look, I don't care whether you buy this game new, used, or not at all.  The very fact that you had to make this topic, then invoke SJWs and "normies" tells me enough about your intent.  If all you want to do is start shit, go somewhere else.