The Koala is bored. (Splices)

KoalaDude

Hey guys.

So, while I'm currently working on my first hack, I'm already planning A LOT of things for my second one, and I'm already making my characters. So yeah, here's the work of a koala who tried his best to make actual good portraits. I would really like some of you to review them and maybe point me where my mistakes are, just to remind I'm new to hacking and making portraits.

Ydrielle.png.3e75c9f88ba6dab11b7ce97b97ad5be5.png  That's Ydrielle (really proud of this one) (EDIT1 : Here's the complete mug, tested it and it's fonctionnal : 59e9f5f6de2af_mugydrielle.png.87b8e8a6206bfb4d455426742887055f.png )

59e7b4a387bfb_myrrhadulte.png.d5077cd3cd03ca3fb44f2f6220cbda38.png  Here's an adult version of Myrrh

Klaid.png.3cbaea01ed5fb95a6fdb291288f1161e.png  And this guy is Klaid. I know he looks weird, I had some compromise to make due to the 16 color restriction, his armor used to be ugly but I did my best to make it look presentable.

59e7b505a57bb_koalaingame.png.993738725854be896f2adf04bfb1e9a4.png  Oh and yeah here's my profile picture but that's me, it doesn't count. It's the first one I made. (EDIT2 : I tried to give him a beard since I have also a beard IRL, let me your thoughts on it : 59ea03833d04d_koalaingame.png.4f23bc3dc77be772f5f5a35baf38cfdb.png )

Koala out ~

Edited by KoalaDude
Progression

8 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

They look a bit choppy, but really can't point out why or how. The colors maybe?

Well, for Klaid it's easy : the problems are the hair shading and a couple pixels in the eye. I used to have another variance of the hair color and a very light blue for the eyes but this damn 16 color restriction is killing me xD

For Ydrielle and adult Myrrh, I really don't know, I have the same feeling.

The integration between the parts is kinda rough, things to look out for are janky necks and badly shaded foreheads. Adult Myrrh looks like a child's head on an adult body as opposed to an adult character. Klaid's neck is kinda weird, might be a little too long. The colors in his armor are a little too dark too. I don't know why you would have color problems with that palette, with the way FE portrait palettes are done you should have 6 colors for skin and outline, 3 colors for hair, 3 colors for armor 1, and 3 colors for body 2 + 1 for the background. Since it looks like you only have 1 set of hair colors and 1 set of armor colors, you lost three colors somewhere. Your profile pic is pretty good, the pieces are put together well, except for the fact that your hair and face are at different angles which is kind of awkward. 

Thank you for your advices TOA, I appreciate it.

For Adult Myrrh it's really weird because I used L'Arachel's face, I thought it was good enough but I guess I'll try with a more "mature" face".

I had the same feeling concerning Klaid's neck, I fucked up the placement during the splice. And for the pallette my problem was that I took the hairs of an FE6 character (Klein), the face of an FE7 character (don't remember who), and the armor of a bad guy from FE8, and the recoloration took me hours of raging, I should have done it before spliting together the different parts. But don't worry, I'll redo him aswell.

And for my PP, thank you I too thought it was the easiest one to make, even if the hairs and the face are not aligned I'll keep him like that, I like him like he is.

I'll also work a little on Ydrielle, see if I can polish her.

Koala Out ~

Well, here I'm back! I worked on a few new ones during the week and I made some slight changes to some of the old ones. I didn't touch Klaid yet 'cause I have to redo him from zero and I'm lazy, he will come in time don't worry, I'll not use it as it is.

So here you go, for the old one :

Koala.png.2efe2927363b69756044503d97449c4c.png  For this one I moved the hair "planting" a lil to the right to make it more aligned, not a particularly visible change but a change noneless.

And now some new ones :

59f4c823a74bd_Leilith2.0.png.06878e5b62fdfc3090f29bf0e0e08e70.png Yup, that's Leilith! I changed the face and the body, I think it looks WAY better than the previous one (I forgot to show you the first one, I don't know how to insert a new image in an edit so... you'll not see the Leilith 1.0 yet.)

59f4c87678834_LIranya.png.8962e8892768ea65036a9bdff0bc90ff.png That's L'Iranya. This is obviously the best of the new ones.

matudan.png.889311ec2c81cb100fc5c5a8dcf2fd27.png Here's Matudan. Fun fact : my first splice to make him finished in a complete MESS, I'll not even show you 'cause it is embarassing.

Neathys.png.258771d0060acaa75e02190a798afe35.png This is Neathys. A quite "important" character of my secret project.

Sinedor.png.d013bb091ec3730caf9b3c9e81b2c677.png This is Sinedor. Soooo, for this one, I'm pleased as it looks from far away, but if you zoom I know I messed the shading of her left eyebrow. I could really use some tips to make it look better... Oh and, since this is also a character for my project, I needed another one of her but with a cloak.

So, here it is :59f4c9640ccb9_SinedorCapuche.png.53fa3a15a6beb635e54864f9c59284c4.png

Nuadh.png.bb30ada974aa57cb8490e6c3fa309f14.png And that's the last one. This is Niadh... Yeah he looks weird, I think I used a head that's too small, I'll change him too.

As the previous batch of sprites, feedbacks appreciated :)

Koala Out ~

Edited by KoalaDude
EDIT 'cause I'm a moron.