Why did they make Frederick an Axe user?

Gima

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, wissenschaft said:

The fact that Derrick wasn't feeling the music tells me hes not much of an FE fan to begin with. I don't know many any FE fan that isn't enjoying the remixes we got.

He likes streaming FE, at least. He's gone from FE7 to 9 so far and is the best FE fan out of Andre and Ash, so it's probably just personal taste. I'll concede that he made the mistake of comparing the game too much to another, though, now that I rewatched the video.

I think its more that hes just a bigger zelda fan. He just ignores the improvements FE warriors made over Hyurle warriors while giving a vague feeling FeW isn't as good. I can't blame him too much. I'm not a Zelda fan so Hyurle warriors doesn't excite me anywhere as much as FeW.

Edited by wissenschaft

4 minutes ago, wissenschaft said:

I think its more that hes just a bigger zelda fan. He just ignores the improvements FE warriors made over Hyurle warriors while giving a vague feeling FeW isn't as good. I can't blame him too much. I'm not a Zelda fan so Hyurle warriors doesn't excite me anywhere as much as FeW.

Not entirely; he calls History Mode superior to HW's Adventure Mode. I'll also give him props for stating in a discussion video that he wanted to settle his thoughts first, but I do see how he makes too much comparisons. Not his best review.

Yeah, the FIre Emblem: Warriors review he did is biased towards Zelda, but besides that it's a decent review that makes some proper points about the quality behind the game.

24 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

The bunch of XDs is sorta obnoxious.

But Derrick didn't just "call it trash". He gave fair points, like the lack of a focused villain and said the story was not expected to be amazing for based on prior Warriors games' stories (not that I'd know).

I didn't feel like Derrick really extended his grumblings about the roster to the whole game, let alone harp on the character selection from the games at any point; just their movesets, and even then he said he got over it. He gave plenty of positive points about the History Mode being better than Hyrule Warriors' Adventure Mode, claiming FE Warriors stands out with its strategy, praises the option for quality or performance, believing the visuals get the job done...

You spread "XD"s out, but aside from how he worded his opinion on the music, I think he was fair in his review. I don't have the right to believe his claim about the comparison between FE and Zelda (nor do I want to), but I don't think his review was full of "garbage-throwing".

First of all, sorry if the "XD" bothers you, but is a way of transmiting my feelings "via writting" that I got used over the time (and as English is not my mother tounge, and I use this more than is necessary).

Obviously, what I wrote was an overexagerated summary, and not all what he said was explained in my comment (nor I was interested to explain absolutely all the points he said textually), but I think saying that he said "plenty of positive points" is also overexagerating.

About the focused villain, I think this is more a personal opinion that he has instead an impartial point, aand I can understand that (even if I don't share the same opinion), but trying to put this as a general truth is what bothers me. And as he compares the HW story (and remember, he said that it was very good even if it was extremely simple) with the FEW one, I don't get his point.

About the movesets, get used to it doesn't mean he changed his opinion, only that now he doesn't mind. Also, as was shown here in the comment of the user who started this topic, he even considered Camilla a clone of the Pegasi (although I think it was a mistake from his script, but with the popularity of the channel and knowing not all the people are in with the information of the game I think is not excusable).

With the "quality or performance option", he said he liked the capability of choosing because he found the "performance" option "bugs him" because he prefers good graphics, not that the "quality" option has great graphics (instead, he said between lines that the game have bad graphics, saying "they aren't spectacular, but it feels like a FE game", which is a bad evasive to avoid saying the game has bad graphics) or the "performance" option runs the 60 FPS well (or even deny it), so by his opinion, if the game had only the option of better graphics at 30 FPS he wouldn't mind it.

And with the FE strategic gameplay implemented into the musou formula... Yes, he indeed said he liked it, but he didn't said reasons (he only explained which mechanics are in and, in the end of the video, says his first opinion about it saying he likes it).

Also, I said in my first comment that he sure said some possitive points (like the History Mode). However, I think those are buried over the negative points.

Finally, with my reference of "He used the roster excuse and magically extended it to the rest of the game to feel less bad" I didn't wanted to say that all the negative points are there because of the roster. Instead, I wanted to explain that he did it with the disappointment he had with this roster (again, not because of the roster itself).

7 hours ago, NoirCore said:

You sure? I dunno...Derrick doesn't seem like the kind to be biased- or want to be biased, anyways. He's streamed the older FE games recently and is more familiar with FE than the other two GX guys. He also seems to have experience with other Dynasty Warriors games, but I admittedly don't know much about that. He mentioned in a discussion that despite playing the game, he wanted to play it some more to settle his thoughts; I don't think he'd want to just wing it.

Sorry if I'm missing something; Derrick just doesn't come off to me as a bad reviewer, despite what Jedi says about him being "pure rubbish" on apparently anything not Zelda-related.

I meant more biased toward older Fire Emblem, not Zelda. He's made his disappointment pretty clear to the point I'm not confident in his objectivity. 

1 hour ago, wissenschaft said:

The fact that Derrick wasn't feeling the music tells me hes not much of an FE fan to begin with. I don't know many any FE fan that isn't enjoying the remixes we got.

How can you not like this music? Admittedly I've been avoiding major spoilers, but everything I've heard sounds good to great.

11 minutes ago, wissenschaft said:

Ah, maybe he just didn't like the 3DS FE games. In which case, yeah, I can see a lukewarm reaction to this game.

He liked both Fates and Echoes.

He never completed Awakening though. He said he's just never gotten a chance to do it.

13 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

I think the best hope for ever getting lance cavalry like Jagen or Silas is for them to just fork the Paladin class into separate Sword Paladin and Lance Paladin classes. That way Xander can keep his sword but other Cavalier-line characters like Jagen or Silas could come in armed with lances.

Camus is the most likely for SD. While you technically still have Cain, Abel, and Jagen who can hop into the DLC spot, Camus is one of the most popular SD characters.

But I agree, Lance cav will likely pop in somewhere in the DLC. Most likely in the SD pack, but we could get a surprise out of the Fates pack with Peri or something.

18 hours ago, Folt said:

In Leo's case, this probably has to do with how Tome users are supposed to use every mainline FE element under the book in this game so Brynhildr's capabilities gets used for super attacks instead of regular attacks. Presumably, that could be the standard for Fire Emblem Warriors mages onward.

Yeah, but doesn't that make Takumi's moveset weird?

I have no doubt they decided to use Sakura/Elise as soon as they decided to use Leo/Takumi. It's weird that Sakura (never mind Anna) has wind stuff, but they held back so Elise doesn't have tree stuff.

1 hour ago, guedesbrawl said:

Yeah, but doesn't that make Takumi's moveset weird?

I have no doubt they decided to use Sakura/Elise as soon as they decided to use Leo/Takumi. It's weird that Sakura (never mind Anna) has wind stuff, but they held back so Elise doesn't have tree stuff.

Well, the main point of Archers in this game is to be able to attack from further away than normal melee weapons, but the other point is to be a hard check against fliers. Bows and the Wind element often do that in Fire Emblem games so they share a function. Having the Archers use wind as part of their moveset wouldn't be too farfetched by that logic.

There's also the fact that Sakura and Anna actually have some magic power (tremenduous ones in Sakura's case) so while Takumi can do all the wind stuff because of his weapon, the other two could conceivably pull off the Fuujin Yumi's feats due to magic (and the power of being a playable character in a Musou game).

25 minutes ago, Folt said:

Well, the main point of Archers in this game is to be able to attack from further away than normal melee weapons, but the other point is to be a hard check against fliers. Bows and the Wind element often do that in Fire Emblem games so they share a function. Having the Archers use wind as part of their moveset wouldn't be too farfetched by that logic.

There's also the fact that Sakura and Anna actually have some magic power (tremenduous ones in Sakura's case) so while Takumi can do all the wind stuff because of his weapon, the other two could conceivably pull off the Fuujin Yumi's feats due to magic (and the power of being a playable character in a Musou game).

Speaking of Sakura's Magic stat, I'm kinda disappointed she doesn't have an unexpectedly high Strength stat this time around.

21 minutes ago, Folt said:

But they can't use magic because they don't have tomes, right? That's what they said about Celica's moveset after all...

Seriously, don't justify something like giving the fujin moveset to every archer.

5 hours ago, Sbuscoz said:

But they can't use magic because they don't have tomes, right? That's what they said about Celica's moveset after all...

Seriously, don't justify something like giving the fujin moveset to every archer.

Not as their main thing. They're certainly not using FE spells with their movesets (unless it's their specials).

2 hours ago, Folt said:

Not as their main thing. They're certainly not using FE spells with their movesets (unless it's their specials).

Actually Robin's combos are the different tome elements. He has a fire, thunder, wind, dark, and light combo. I think these elements are just for show and have no special effect but its a nice little homage none the less. 

Edited by wissenschaft

7 hours ago, Folt said:

Yes, they are. I noticed Robin wielding a Fire (Either El- or Arc-, I can't remember right now), Elwind, Thoron, Ruin, and Rexaura. Leo and Elise wield Moonlight, and Mjölnir. With Elise also wielding Ginnungagap (Dual Musou) and Odin's Grimoire (In her Weak-Point Smash or whatever it is called in FE Warriors). And those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

On 10/19/2017 at 9:07 AM, wissenschaft said:

The remixes are a hit-or-miss for me. Alight was great. The others? Not so much. HW had much better remixes IMO. 

@GameXplain’s review: It was alright. The comparisons to HW were to be expected. 

As for Frederick, well, as it has been mentioned before, the developers wanted more axe users and there’s also a reference to him in Awakening carrying an axe or something along those lines in his dialogue. 

4 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

The remixes are a hit-or-miss for me. Alight was great. The others? Not so much. HW had much better remixes IMO. 

@GameXplain’s review: It was alright. The comparisons to HW were to be expected. 

As for Frederick, well, as it has been mentioned before, the developers wanted more axe users and there’s also a reference to him in Awakening carrying an axe or something along those lines in his dialogue. 

Maybe I'm just super team Nohr biased but the Dusk Falls remix is my favorite by far. But then Dusk Falls is my favorite song in fates. Though I like a lot of the remixes. Maybe I'm easy to please? lol

On 10/18/2017 at 4:47 PM, Lightchao42 said:

You just forgot what the review said. What Derrick said was, "If one character uses a certain mode of transportation, [...], and wields the same weapon, they'll pretty much have the same moveset."

Camilla uses an axe so she has a different moveset from the three Pegasus Knights (whom all play identically). Derrick also mentions that this doesn't apply to sword users, so the entire statement is true.

I have no idea why he'd make that statement anyway, since it doesn't include the non-mounted characters who make up the bulk of cloned movesets (counting NPCs we have Rowan/Lianna/Darios, Ryoma/Owain, Lyn/Navarre, Takumi/Sakura/Anna/Niles Marth/Celica, Chrom/Lucina and Robin/the evil Mages), and the only characters it actually groups together are the Pegasus Knights and Leo/Elise. It's like he was trying to mislead people.

Edited by GeminiJ
Typo

Koei acted like their would be an Armored Lance user and another lance moveset that would appear.

This was not true for the final game where Frederick would've made the game more balanced by using a Lance as we already had 2 axe movesets and only 1 lance which is awful for a Fire Emblem, especially with the weapon triangle.

2 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Koei acted like their would be an Armored Lance user and another lance moveset that would appear.

This was not true for the final game where Frederick would've made the game more balanced by using a Lance as we already had 2 axe movesets and only 1 lance which is awful for a Fire Emblem, especially with the weapon triangle.

And in turn there would have been 2 axe users and 4 lance users, whereas what we got gives 3 of each.  Yeah, lances got shafted for moveset variety, but weapon variety only matters for how many people can use a weapon, not how many movesets there are (unless all movesets are unique, which they aren't).