Just got the game today. Any tips?

Got Echoes today as a late birthday gift. Just started the game today on hard/classic and only did like 2 battles in Act 1. Is there anything I should look out for or know about? Like when to promote, what classes suck and which are good? Obviously keep it spoiler free lol.

I'm assuming villagers are ass so I've been having Alm and Lukas weaken enemies while the 4 villagers finish them off.

Promote ASAP. The promotion gains are better than your level gains most of the time.

Don't promote any of your Villagers to Soldier or Cavalier. Alm's route gets enough Cavaliers, and they're a detriment on Celica's side. Soldiers are just all around bad outside of the units who start with Soldier as their class. Mercenary's a very safe bet if you don't know what to do.

Make sure you make Kliff a mage. He's useless as anything else in my experience. Gray is a good mercenary because of his high luck or that's what I found. Tobin can be a good archer or mercenary, Faye is a good cleric or Pegasus knight. These are just recommendations that may help you. Do whatever you please. 

While I'm no expert, I might be able to say a bit.

You'll be able to promote the villagers rather early, and you should do so. Experience is relative to a level - levels 4-5 might take 3 enemies to level up, but 14-15 might take 30.

Yeah, you'll have enough cavaliers on Alm's side for you to not want to make any of them cavaliers. Investigating the town resulted in what I believe the canon classes for the Ram Villagers - Mage for Kliff, Archer for Tobin, and likely Mercenary for Grey. Whether that is the perfect class for them or not I cannot say, but they were good as that when I played.

Faye, on the hand,  I think has two reasonable promotions. Pegasus Knight is rather broken in this game, but I'm not certain how well she does as one. I recommend Cleric, as she learns some good spells and is one of only two healers on Alms side for most of the game.

Having the villagers finish off the enemies is a good idea. You just need them to get to a level where they can promote, and maybe gain a few extra stats or so.

If you don't mind a little grinding, don't promote everybody early like everyone suggests for some reason.  You will get more level ups, so you will at the very worst be equal to what you would have gotten by promoting early, but you will very likely get more stat ups by waiting a bit.  This helps a ton in late game on hard mode.

Atlas could be a Cavalier.  You only get one on Celica's path very late.  He's a good merc, but you already get 3 others, possibly 4.

If you want a mage in early game on Alm's side, you'll have to promote one of the villagers, I recommend Kliff.

This is something you won't have to worry about for a looooooong time, but the final boss moves to attack you. In fact, if you're playing on Hard mode, I'd just lure Zurg away from the nearby Arcanist, who's not worth the headache of trying to kill. (Said Arcanist has the dreaded Medusa spell, which reduces the HP of whoever he attacks to 1 if it hits (and kills them if they're already at 1 HP)... And thanks to a passive ability, he doesn't have to pay the HP cost of the spell. Hard mode gives him a Silver Shield, which makes him really hard to break physically.) Aside from this, I'd remember that magic attacks ignore terrain effects, which is good since terrain gives obscene evade bonuses. However, as I stated earlier, it also costs HP to cast magic (that is, except for Nosferatu) - and this includes healing.

EDIT: At the end of Act 3, you'll run into a female mage in the enemy ranks. She's recruitable... But you'll have to avoid killing her before you can kill the boss of said map.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

In my experience, Atlas isn't a bad Cavalier, though I also find that the one you get later is better. I've also heard that he makes a good archer and considering that you only got one on Celica's route, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to make him one.

I've seen a few cases of when to promote, I just promoted ASAP and had no problems. 

Since you're on Hard, watch out for the Sea Shine! Normally you fight a Necrodragon there, Hard mode throws two of them at you. At that point in the game, they'll be hard to kill even with the proper spell.

When you start forging weapons, make sure to upgrade the Royal Dagger into it the Beloved Zofia, it teaches Celica's personal art, Ragnarok Omega.

When you're in a dungeon, offering food to servant of MIla will restore all fatigue. Offering wine will restore turnwheel uses.

You can upgrade the amount of uses of the turnwheel by finding gears throughout the game while examining an area.

I think you can miss Atlas if you don't recruit him before defeating Grieth or beating Act 3. Not sure which, as it happened to a friend and not me.

When you reach Act 4 with Alm, go right first.

I honestly tried to get everyone to 20 and then promote, but early game that's impossible so promote asap.

Double noting go right on act 4, as that allows you to pick up two good units.

Prepromotes aren't actually bad in this game, so the two you get on Alm's side before endgame are good units (one of them being top tier in my opinion)

This is probably just me but if you want better stats, get the second echoes dungeon dlc. That will allow you to create the starsphere, keep in mind the enemies there are promoted and occasionally dragons.  But the starsphere is pretty good as it gives 30% to a units growths (30% to every stat) except res, which boosts it by 5%. I honestly did this early act 3 in preparation for who I consider the best character in echoes, but she's very debatable. That of course being the unit mentioned in act 3 that needs to survive to be recruited. That character in particular has a 70% attack growth, so 70+30=100, which made them really strong on my playthrough.

Dread Fighters are still OP, run at least 1 on each pathway, strong attack, high speed, good dodge rate, and a skill that lower the effectiveness of magic.

Double note on forging the golden dagger into the beloved zofia, it's the only way for Celica to get her ultimate skill, Alm can get his with two swords but until you get the last one, just stick with the royal sword you get at the middle of act 3.

Very important: If you want Celica to be good at the endgame, get her to level 20 before the end of act 3, otherwise she loses some much needed level ups.

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Got Echoes today as a late birthday gift. Just started the game today on hard/classic and only did like 2 battles in Act 1. Is there anything I should look out for or know about? Like when to promote, what classes suck and which are good? Obviously keep it spoiler free lol.

I'm assuming villagers are ass so I've been having Alm and Lukas weaken enemies while the 4 villagers finish them off.

From my very limited experience with the game (one playthrough, it was on hard/classic though):

The villagers in Alm's route are pretty good for filling niches you'd otherwise lack. For instance, it takes quite a while before you get a mage on his route, so promoting a villager into a mage will be a huge help early on.

Faye is really helpfull as a cleric. You only have one other cleric for most of Alm's route, and Faye gets some really great spells that the other cleric lacks.

Apart from that, archers are on steroids in this game. I personally promoted Atlas into one, and he turned into one of the best units in Celica's party for me.

Also, make sure to level Alm reasonably well and maybe save some stat boosters for him in case he gets RNG screwed. It uhm, might turn out useful in a later part of the game...

Thirding going right with Alm in act 4's beginning. Also, beware of summoners (mostly Cantors, but boss Witches can summon too). They will try to harass you with swarms of cannon fodder. However, once the summoners are defeated, their summoned units vanish as well.

EDIT: On the subject of Witches, they can teleport near your units and attack. Same goes for the female mage in the final battle on Alm's side in act 3.

16 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Is there anything I should look out for or know about? Like when to promote, what classes suck and which are good? Obviously keep it spoiler free lol.

Save your coins to Forge Killer Bows (iron forges up to steel, steel to silver, and silver to killer).  Give all your archers killer bows.

There is a skill on the Killer Bow called [Hunter's Volley]. When you see it, you'll shit bricks.

Like Archer Atlas is actually busted.  [Hunter's Volley] is good on all archers and makes all archers good. But Atlas in particular is built for abusing it.

Edited by Shoblongoo

On 10/19/2017 at 9:41 AM, Syntax said:

Make sure you make Kliff a mage. He's useless as anything else in my experience. Gray is a good mercenary because of his high luck or that's what I found. Tobin can be a good archer or mercenary, Faye is a good cleric or Pegasus knight. These are just recommendations that may help you. Do whatever you please. 

Promotion in this game isn't very punishing except for Faye. 

Kliff is completely flexible and can do well in anything you promote him to. Same goes for Tobin as well although many would prefer him to be a mage for some reason.

There is almost no right or wrong on which class you promote. However, I recommend that you promote one villager to an archer atleast for both Alm and Celica's routes. Archers in this game are extremely powerful unlike in the other games as they now have 1-5 range!

For tips. Don't worry too much on levelling up here as you get opportunities to grind in this game. When you get soldiers, don't bother using them or use them until you start getting better units. Although you have this one Knight that is very useful early game in Celica's route.

Alright so the basic gist I'm getting is

promote early
Mage Kliff, archer Tobin, cleric Faye, and mercenary Gray
go right on act 4

and a bunch of other tips I'll look back to when they become relevant to my playthrough. Thanks guys!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2017 at 9:11 AM, Ronnie said:

Mage Kliff, archer Tobin, cleric Faye, and mercenary Gray

Yeah I think that about sums it up. But again, don't do it because we suggest you to do so. Do it because you like the choice. Again, Kliff is very flexible in any class you put him into and he works on anything so he's full proof. Tobin can also work as a mage. Why not try out Faye Pegasi? The game doesn't discourage you to try out different styles and makes you regret it. Anything works even Gray can work on other classes too.

About to get the game in a few days and so far from what I've been seeing from the reviews, I feel I won't be disappointed.

One question though, how do you guys feel about the no weapons triangle system in this game?
Until now, all the FE games I've played had it but feel that without it, you'd have to grind a lot to level up your guys.

Anyone feel bored or any negative aspects about this?

18 minutes ago, albert said:

About to get the game in a few days and so far from what I've been seeing from the reviews, I feel I won't be disappointed.

One question though, how do you guys feel about the no weapons triangle system in this game?
Until now, all the FE games I've played had it but feel that without it, you'd have to grind a lot to level up your guys.

I can't believe I am saying this, but if there was a weapon triangle in this game, it would probably cause balancing issues. I got bored of the game quick myself, but that is just me.

2 hours ago, albert said:

I was honestly least bothered with it simply because I still cannot get how such a thing is even a necessity for FE. Frankly, the lack of weapon triangle fits the game for what it does because this game has several other strategies to compensate for it such as now you are able to use invoke which creates multiple clones, weapons that alter your stats properly unlike in Fates and this game's archers being more of a nightmare to deal with and mages sacrificing HP inorder to attack.

You also have tactics into limited amount of resources you have to forge weapons unless you opt for DLC unlike in Fates where forging is redundant although it is not required to beat the game( I didn't bother using killer bows and I beat the final boss just fine).

Personally, considering the presentation, the rich voice acting and the solid gameplay despite the absence of weapon triangle, Its a solid game to me. Nothing in the game ever felt boring to me as I was having so much fun with the dungeons and the gameplay. Characters are fun to use and you do have an extra quest to play when you beat the game. 

Only real negatives I can think about is one part being horribly cryptic for a particular boss and the horrible axe quest that does nothing but troll you. Other than that, not much.

7 hours ago, albert said:

I'd say that no weapon triangle was indeed for the best - there's pretty much only one axe using class in the entire game, and said class stops being relevant after the first two acts. Thus, I agree that it'd only cause balance issues if it was implemented. It's certainly better than Shadow Dragon - another remake - implementing it poorly.

10 hours ago, albert said:

It made sense to drop it in this game since you never get any playable axe units of your own. It makes me focus less on what weapon the unit uses and more on what class (and by extension, role) the unit fills.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Just got the game yesterday and even though I'm still in the first part, I can't wait to go back to it after work!
I think I'll get used to the no weapons triangle thing pretty comfortably so that shouldn't be a problem now that I read everyone's responses. Will be going here for more tips in the future! Thanks again everyone! :^_^: