• RPG Site – 8
  • Nintendo Life – 8
  • GameRant – 4/5
  • Wccftech – 7.5
  • Hobby Consolas – 72/100
  • FNintendo – 7
  • GameSpot – 6
  • Metro UK – 4

Quite sad....oh well atleast now we know that fans can't always get what they want.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from Merto UK, these scores aren't bad at all.  Only one of the critics seemed outright negative, and it seems that reviewer doesn't like Musou games to begin with.  The rest are either mixed or outright positive.

14 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Aside from Merto UK, these scores aren't bad at all.  Only one of the critics seemed outright negative, and it seems that reviewer doesn't like Musou games to begin with.  The rest are either mixed or outright positive.

Even at least one of the mixed ones is pretty questionable in content (Gamespot complains about graphics before going on how "it's too much like other Warriors games" --ignoring all that it actually does do differently. And then there's Gamexplain's constant comparisons to Hyrule Warriors, being one of the few reviewers declaring it to be the inferior game-- along with such choice critiques as "too much choice").

Overall though, it's about what I expected-- was hoping it would score better than HW (since that seems to be the majority opinion), but Metacritic's dumb weighting system prioritized Gamespot and others. Goes to show in general how flawed Metacritic is.

8s are pretty good for a musou game. The Musou games tend to be scored low. Reviewers tend to just complete the story mode, its all they have time for. But with this game, the story mode is more like an extended tutorial so not much challenge will show up till the history mode maps or Lunatic difficulty. Hence you often get complaints that Musous are nothing but button mashers meanwhile the reviewers never did any challenging mission.

I'd ignore Metacritic. Its aggregate score lacks context and are therefore meaningless.

Edited by wissenschaft

8 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

...8/10 is quite good; dunno where you're getting "mixed" from. It's clearly above mediocrity (5).

It's metacritic averaging things, meaning the few low scores bring it down to 73 (which warrants a big ol' yellow number). The disparity between number scores and the actual value to them is also a huge issue; personally, I think 5 should mean "average". It really just comes together to show how little reviews actually mean-- but, paradoxically, they matter so much nowadays in gaming culture.

Edited by The DanMan

Musuo games always trend low with professional outlets. There is a negative bias towards them for being "repetitive" in a gaming industry in which the most popular genre can be summed up as "center your screen on your foe before they center theirs on you."

The reviews for Musuo games are so poorly done that it becomes difficult to determine which ones are quality for their genre (like Hyrule Warriors and DW8 XTREME Legends) and which are not worthy of a Musuo fan's money (like Arslan Musuo and Fate Extella the Umbral Star). This isn't new or unexpected. It's a continuation of industry bias against an entire genre. 

i found the metro review funny, 4/10 "almost mediocre", and the guy called the Warriors series rubbish

not that I really would expect professionalism from the free newspaper you pick up on the bus, and not that I really think they are trying to be professional, but they are counted on Metacritic all the same.

but yes, it's not uncommon for warriors games to be rated middling or low, either there is few fans of the series or type of game at reviewer sites or they've already seen it before (very likely).

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

i found the metro review funny, 4/10 "almost mediocre", and the guy called the Warriors series rubbish

not that I really would expect professionalism from the free newspaper you pick up on the bus, and not that I really think they are trying to be professional, but they are counted on Metacritic all the same.

but yes, it's not uncommon for warriors games to be rated middling or low, either there is few fans of the series or type of game at reviewer sites or they've already seen it before (very likely).

I heard something about that reviewer being personally biased against Musou games so eh.

Either way, 74 in total is a pretty good score and the majority of the reviews are very positive. I'm not too worried.

also don't consider the scores read their articles carefully.  You'll notice some of the 8's will say it's the best musou they have played and most polished they've experienced and even consider it to be better than Hyrule Warriors.  So the score numbers mean nothing at this point.  

Decent enough reviews. I would say its about what I expected. The only ones calling it outright terrible are the ones that have an issue with the game style itself, which makes you question why they were reviewing it in the first place.

1 hour ago, kingddd said:

also don't consider the scores read their articles carefully.  You'll notice some of the 8's will say it's the best musou they have played and most polished they've experienced and even consider it to be better than Hyrule Warriors.  So the score numbers mean nothing at this point.  

"Best Warrriors game" definitely sounds under a 9 to me. I think the only people getting hung up on scores are the people in this thread. Reviews aren't meant to be in accordance to any reader's specific personal tastes.

32 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

"Best Warrriors game" definitely sounds under a 9 to me. I think the only people getting hung up on scores are the people in this thread. Reviews aren't meant to be in accordance to any reader's specific personal tastes.

Dynasty Warriors 7 and 8 were noticeably better at displaying the series after 6 and they still got like 70 on metacritic or below, 7 got like under 60.

From what I've seen, though I wouldn't want to exactly pass total judgement on FEW since I haven't played it, those games probably did a better job at the time they came out at revitalises interest in the series and were generally "better games". This genre/series has been panned pretty much outside of the first few games.

I mean for me that pretty much means I don't have to care or worry about reviews but it's worth noting.

Edited by Tryhard

22 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Dynasty Warriors 7 and 8 were noticeably better at displaying the series after 6 and they still got like 70 on metacritic or below, 7 got like under 60.

From what I've seen, though I wouldn't want to exactly pass total judgement on FEW since I haven't played it, those games probably did a better job at the time they came out at revitalises interest in the series and were generally "better games". This genre/series has been panned pretty much outside of the first few games.

I mean for me that pretty much means I don't have to care or worry about reviews but it's worth noting.

Are you just arguing that some outlets put out some bad scores of some video games in the past? Welcome to the industry. A lot of games get a raw deal in that department. I mean, did you read all those reviews for 7? Did they all miss pointing out those improvements? 

Maybe people would take these niche products more seriously if they weren't pumped out with so much frequency and with mountains of expansions. There are 73 Warriors games made in its 20 year history. Over 50 of which came out in 2007 or later. And I'm not even sure that list is complete. Over-saturation is a perfectly reasonable thing to bring up in a review

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

Are you just arguing that some outlets put out some bad scores of some video games in the past? Welcome to the industry. A lot of games get a raw deal in that department. I mean, did you read all those reviews for 7? Did they all miss pointing out those improvements? 

Maybe people would take these niche products more seriously if they weren't pumped out with so much frequency and with mountains of expansions. There are 73 Warriors games made in its 20 year history. Over 50 of which came out in 2007 or later. And I'm not even sure that list is complete. Over-saturation is a perfectly reasonable thing to bring up in a review

I'm arguing that it is common for the Warriors series to get panned and so I'm not really surprised when it does. Reviewers will often point it that's its the same button mash gameplay and dismiss it, so I generally ignore reviews as I already pretty much do as I'm a fan of the series - and I understand why other people are not. 

It's not like I didn't acknowledge there was a lot of these games and it would be games that reviewers would very likely have seen before.

Its odd since Diablo is a popular game and yet all you do is grind for more gear endlessly. Whats boring to some is endless fun for others. Musou games are not for everyone.

I'll say this, Musou games are button mashers only at the low diffculty. On harder maps, trying to S rank, thats where actually knowing the mechanics of the game rather than just button mashing comes into play. But reviewers don't play the game long enough to get to this point. So what they see is a super easy button masher.

Edited by wissenschaft

14 hours ago, The DanMan said:

It's metacritic averaging things, meaning the few low scores bring it down to 73 (which warrants a big ol' yellow number). The disparity between number scores and the actual value to them is also a huge issue; personally, I think 5 should mean "average". It really just comes together to show how little reviews actually mean-- but, paradoxically, they matter so much nowadays in gaming culture.

They should instead opt for a trimmed mean. Outliers can really change the average. 

15 hours ago, NoirCore said:

...8/10 is quite good; dunno where you're getting "mixed" from. It's clearly above mediocrity (5).

Whilst five is indicative of 'average' reviews, it's almost universally seen as a 'bad' score. 

Just now, SlipperySlippy said:

Whilst five is indicative of 'average' reviews, it's almost universally seen as a 'bad' score. 

Yeah, it's sorta silly. It feels like 1 - 6 is "bad", 7 is "acceptable", and 8 - 10 is "good" now.

My wonder is now that the reviews are mixed, how much can this game sell in western territories? 

Nintendo unlike most big third parties don't do evil marketing schemes inorder to improve on the sales so how can this game sell well if it ends up being mixed. Star Fox Zero and Federation Force were mixed and they sold poorly....

Well I guess it doesn't matter much due to it being a spin off..

Edited by Harvey

9 hours ago, Harvey said:

My wonder is now that the reviews are mixed, how much can this game sell in western territories? 

Again, why do you consider the average for FE Warriors reviews "mixed"? They look mostly positive to me considering most of the scores are 7s and 8s.

Like others said, I feel these reviews are pretty solid for a musou game.

As for Metro UK review, I read it and I think it's very biased and not so objective overall (like the reviewer just wanted to bash the genre).

Personally I'm enjoying the game, I'm playing on Hard/Classic and some bosses can be quite challenging.