DLC characters announced

Tolvir

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The Geek said:

Yeah, everyone's acting like the characters are the only things in the DLC and basing their decisions entirely on that.

A significant number of the people buying this game aren't buying it for the Warriors part, so of course characters are more important than History Mode maps.

16 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

I know it's disappointing that the NPC's are part of this DLC and not free, and I agree that it's disappointing. But to those it may concern (you know who you are) (and I'm sorry if this is beating a dead horse already) let's make one thing clear and please stop calling them "on-disc DLC"!? A model, a few quotes, and literally one or two moves does not a playable character make. Because unless you can hack them playable and be fully functional without having to hack a moveset in as well, it's not exactly a whole lot on the disc to "rip-out", now is there?

Niles had translated supports in the base files of the Japanese version of the game that weren't removed before launch. Likewise, the characters have audio files and scripts for quotes that they couldn't say unless they were playable. I'd say that's a pretty good indication that they were axed from the playable roster late in development to stick them in DLC, which is pretty scummy regardless of the semantics.

16 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

But you know what? I'm grateful they're gonna be playable at all. We really should feel more grateful about things. That this game even exists, even if it wasn't quite a dream come true for everyone. We have to make with what we've got. 

At the end of the day FE Warriors is a commercial product that we are expected to pay money for, not an ugly sweater our kindly grandmother made for us as a gift. As consumers, we don't have to feel a lick of gratitude for IntSys and KT making a product, especially if it's one that a significant portion of the fanbase wasn't asking for in the first place.

Edited by Azure Sen

On a more positive note, what are you hoping for gameplay out of these characters? For Azura, I hope we get whole bunch of water to go with that lance. Seeing Tharja use exclusively dark magic would be awesome to see. And it would be really cool of Olivia could give buffs to allies. And, as I said earlier, I hope that if Owain is a Ryoma clone, that he uses dark magic instead of lightning.

1 minute ago, Azure Sen said:

Niles had translated supports in the base files of the Japanese version of the game that weren't removed before launch. Likewise, the characters have audio files and scripts for quotes that they couldn't say unless they were playable. I'd say that's a pretty good indication that they were axed from the playable roster late in development to stick them in DLC, which is pretty scummy regardless of the semantics.

Or, they were cut because there wasn't enough time to finish them, and they added them to DLC so they could finish them.  Not that we'll know for certain one way or the other, but there are more possibilities than just assuming it's a money grab.

I guess I can't say that 4 out of the 9 characters are paid DLC, even though they're already in the game, but I guess that's the norm for most games nowadays. As far as the other choices go, nice to see Minerva and Linde making it in. Also Olivia is a nice surprise to see since I thought Azura would be the only "Dancer" type character and I'm interested to see how they play like.

7 minutes ago, TheSS said:

On a more positive note, what are you hoping for gameplay out of these characters? For Azura, I hope we get whole bunch of water to go with that lance. Seeing Tharja use exclusively dark magic would be awesome to see. And it would be really cool of Olivia could give buffs to allies. And, as I said earlier, I hope that if Owain is a Ryoma clone, that he uses dark magic instead of lightning.

Doubt it, but I think he will be a magic sword alternative to Ryoma statwise which gives him a rather cool niché (+ Ryoma's moveset really lends itself well to a magic swordsman from the east thanks to his thunder moves).

I also doubt Tharja will exclusively use dark magic since it's not something that works with the way magic users are portrayed (and designed) in this game.

(Honestly, element-wise, we already know what element the four NPC characters will use: Thunder for Owain and Wind for the rest.)

You know, I ought to ping @SniperGYS and let 'em know that Oboro will be in the game after all...

4 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Or, they were cut because there wasn't enough time to finish them, and they added them to DLC so they could finish them.  Not that we'll know for certain one way or the other, but there are more possibilities than just assuming it's a money grab.

I'm gonna echo this sentiment.

2 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

If all that needed to be done was to finish their movesets and touch up their models, then why not just make them free post-launch DLC like the villains in HW? I don't want it to be true because KT is usually pretty good about this sort of thing, but there was no reason characters with that much stuff in the base game needed to be paid DLC. Not to mention that they managed to finish Lyn and Celica just fine despite those two being added fairly late in development, but these four gave them trouble? It just doesn't make sense to me.

1 minute ago, Azure Sen said:

If all that needed to be done was to finish their movesets and touch up their models, then why not just make them free post-launch DLC like the villains in HW? I don't want it to be true because KT is usually pretty good about this sort of thing, but there was no reason characters with that much stuff in the base game needed to be paid DLC. Not to mention that they managed to finish Lyn and Celica just fine despite those two being added fairly late in development, but these four gave them trouble? It just doesn't make sense to me.

In this case, it's probably not that they gave them trouble, but that there were other important matters to tend to (like History Mode maps as a result of Lyn and Celica's inclusion f.ex.) and they worked well enough to keep in the game as NPCs rather than to finish them up (which holds even if they were added earlier than Lyn and Celica).

Making them a part of the DLC packs probably has to do with content that's not characters.

17 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Based on the datamine, we know that the NPC quartet were cut in favour of adding Cordelia, Anna, Celica and Lyn. There were also lots of empty space between the data so that means that some there were several supports finished before the four were canned.

The only character I was genuinely hoping for is Gaius. We have Cordelia and now Tharja, but no Gaius. I am so sad right now...

I mean, I like Olivia, but I would have traded her out in a heartbeat. The other characters though, I'm pretty okay with. I would rather have had Navarre, Owain, Niles and Oboro as a free add-on, but I'll survive. Azura is most hype character right now.

In-game characters getting DLC is pretty lame, but whatever.

I'm pretty stoked about Linde, and am actually relieved Merric didn't make it in. Screw Merric. Sorry but I think Heroes has made me bitter after him ruining a couple rates of mine in the past. Olivia is a pleasant edition too. Minerva is alright, I was never really huge on her but I think she's neat for the most part. Azura is solid but not surprising. Tharja...eh. Kinda expected her but I'm not thrilled she's in. The rest I'm indifferent to.

So it looks like we're going to be seeing people in their skivvies, eh? Based on that broken armor thing? Hmmmm.

27 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Theres always cut content in games. Theres deadlines to meet after all. So yeah, I agree. No need to assume the worst.

Edited by wissenschaft

I'm happy that Linde and Minerva made it in :D:. Would have liked to see Camus and Merric but I'm still glad regardless. Olivia is honestly not someone I expected and I like her character. I'm on the fence of the npc crew. Out of the three I only really care about Navarre.

59 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

You know, I ought to ping @SniperGYS and let 'em know that Oboro will be in the game after all...

I'm gonna echo this sentiment.

I'M LITERALLY CRYING OF HAPPINESS IN MY JOB!!!!

Some of the students are giving me some weird looks now, but I don't care, gonna tell them that Fire Emblem is making me crying! Gimme all her supports! I don't care with who, I just want to read them haha!

Oh wait!! But I actually hope she have supports with LUCINA!!!! Since Lucina is so bad at fashion it can become very funny!!!

Can I be more happy? Yes I can if they add Innes, but for now... I'm happy with Oboro and Azura! Also Minerva good!!!

I don't mind paying for Oboro really, like... If they make a remake of Tellius? I will pay for playing with Oboro! Jugdral remake? I will pay for Oboro! Elibe remake? I will pay for Oboro! I don't mind really!! And I throw my money for Takumi, Leo and Innes too

Too bad I'm only  going to play the 3DS version since I'm poor and can't buy a Switch, but hell I'm so happy now!

Edited by SniperGYS

48 minutes ago, Azz said:

Based on the datamine, we know that the NPC quartet were cut in favour of adding Cordelia, Anna, Celica and Lyn. There were also lots of empty space between the data so that means that some there were several supports finished before the four were canned.

Do we know this or are you just talking about people speculating? Because that sounds like a load of garbage to me.

Besides the NPCs as DLC, I'm extremely happy with the character choices. I really didn't think I'd actually like all the choices.

I'm not going to buy a season pass until we see what the characters can do however. If it turns out that not a single DLC choice has a unique moveset then I'm unlikely to buy it. Barring Minerva and the NPCs, all of them have a clear concept that can separate them from any potential cloning, so it's really unacceptable.

7 minutes ago, Florete said:

Do we know this or are you just talking about people speculating? Because that sounds like a load of garbage to me.

There's no confirmation but you can just tell at least that Lyn and Celica were late additions. I understand skepticism but you shouldn't out right deny other possibilities.

Just now, ChickenBits said:

There's no confirmation but you can just tell at least that Lyn and Celica were late additions. I understand skepticism but you shouldn't out right deny other possibilities.

Oh, I don't deny the possibility, at least with Lyn and Celica. I don't believe it, though, and people shouldn't talk in absolutes when we don't really know for sure.

When it comes to Cordelia and Anna, I do straight up deny it. I think the idea that others were cut for them is completely ridiculous.

Why in the world does everyone seem to think we'll get a second wave of DLC? Is there any precedent for this? 

No, Hyrule Warriors doesn't count because Legends was basically a sequel or a "deluxe" edition because it was a port. We already have a second version of this game.

3 minutes ago, dmurr said:

Why in the world does everyone seem to think we'll get a second wave of DLC? Is there any precedent for this? 

No, Hyrule Warriors doesn't count because Legends was basically a sequel or a "deluxe" edition because it was a port. We already have a second version of this game.

KT said they were considering doing more DLC beyond this, and Legends is a sort of 'soft precedent', I suppose. Doesn't make it any less likely, for sure.

26 minutes ago, TheSS said:

KT said they were considering doing more DLC beyond this, and Legends is a sort of 'soft precedent', I suppose. Doesn't make it any less likely, for sure.

They seemed a bit ahead of themselves in some comments(like talking about a second game before this one even came out), so I'm not sure what to really expect from them that isn't already in stone. They could just hold things back for a second game, and/or with the mediocre sales they might not extend the DLC support out further than the initially promised stuff.

It would be nice to at least see some free DLC sprinkled in between the promised packs. I'm still surprised they didn't decide to drop in Ike or some others in anywhere, even as smaller standalone DLCs.

Edited by Alkaid

I wasn't expecting Linde or Olivia, so I'm excited to see their movesets. Linde is known for light magic and Olivia is a dancer so they can make her moveset really gimmicky if they want to.

A part of me hope they'll take her fan from the Performing Arts banner and that'll be her weapon instead of a sword.