I'm Upset That They're Selling Characters Already In The Game As DLC

Captain Karnage

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

BREAKING: FEW2 to have loot boxes to unlock characters.

Pay $20 for you FEW bucks for more chances to unlock!

Don't trigger me. :P

All we can do is wait and see. I'll choose to be hopeful.

Edited by wissenschaft

1 minute ago, wissenschaft said:

Don't trigger me. :P

All we can do is wait and see.

Don't worry, you'll be able to grind for FEW bucks in-game. Which is good, because you'll need to spend a lot of them to get the true ending!

5 hours ago, wissenschaft said:

I think they'd only be free if they were clones. If the DLC gives them unique movesets then its worth the price of the season pass.

Sorry, but 2 unique characters and 3 whole history maps are more than worth the price of the packs.

I mean, to be fair, expecting 13 dlc characters was a little optimistic. It’s a somewhat scummy strategy, but one I fully expected. I doubt the characters were fully done in the base game though.

3 hours ago, Slumber said:

Don't worry, you'll be able to grind for FEW bucks in-game. Which is good, because you'll need to spend a lot of them to get the true ending!

Hey, here you're getting 9 characters (4 of which have models in the game) and 200+ battles from the History mode maps, plus some alt costumes, for $20.

It's not like you're forking over hundreds of dollars to try and get your favorite character (who's a glorified sprite edit) via a random draw that, oh yeah, is also fully in the game data.

18 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Welcome to the future. Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Yeah, no. That's not going to happen.
Sorry if this might sound patriotic, but as consumers, we have to make our voices heard until publishers / devs stop with this nonsense. And if the only way to do it is to complain about this stuff on the internet, then gosh darn it! That's what we are going to do.
I know this isn't what you meant. I just felt like saying what I did.

I've already stated before that my interest in this game is pretty much gone, but now it's like it didn't even exist in the first place.
You and your shady DLC / cashgrab practices can rot in hell for all I care, Nintendo and KT! I'm voting with my wallet on this one.

And like the OP, I have no more faith that a sequel to this will mend any grudges I have toward this crap.
So glad I got Etrian Odyssey V instead of this shitshow.

Also, what's the deal with Ayra? I heard that there is some sort of pickle going on, but I don't know the deets.

Edited by DragonFlames

13 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Sorry if this might sound patriotic, but as consumers, we have to make our voices heard until publishers / devs stop with this nonsense. And if the only way to do it is to complain about this stuff on the internet, then gosh darn it! That's what we are going to do.
I know this isn't what you meant. I just felt like saying what I did.

I've already stated before that my interest in this game is pretty much gone, but now it's like it didn't even exist in the first place.
You and your shady DLC / cashgrab practices can rot in hell for all I care, Nintendo and KT! I'm voting with my wallet on this one.

And like the OP, I have no more faith that a sequel to this will mend any grudges I have toward this crap.
So glad I got Etrian Odyssey V instead of this shitshow.

Also, what's the deal with Ayra? I heard that there is some sort of pickle going on, but I don't know the deets.

How is this any more "shady" than Fates' multiple routes? There's some data for the routes you don't have in the base one you buy; should IS have given you the two you didn't buy for free because there's leftover data in the game files and some characters from them appear in-game? You talk about owning Revelation right in your sig, after all.

Also "rot in hell Nintendo/KT"? You're just embarrassing yourself.

This is comparable to Fates' multiple routes minus the story elements (which should make it better, if anything); it's nowhere near close to the actually scummy stuff like SoV's DLC and Heroes.

Edited by The DanMan

14 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Shadow of Mordor sold boatloads. We already lost. 

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

Shadow of Mordor sold boatloads. We already lost. 

2 minutes ago, familyplayer said:

*shadow of war

Sorry, but FTFY

As someone who has the game, I never needed to ever needed to use the microtransaction at all.  Yeah it's there but it's really easy to ignore it and the game is 100% not even difficult to beat it.  You can vote for your wallet for buying the game but completely ignore the options to use those microtransactions.  I've done it plenty of times with Battlefield 1 and so on and really don't even need any of that stuff to enjoy the game.  Majority of the items that I've seen that people pull from are pointless and not worth your time and you're better off getting the actual items in game anyway since they're usually better than from the loot box system.

So people are honestly overblowing the Shadow of War stuff way out of proportion.

I get it...

uodating models. Adding promotion and broken costumes. 

Updating moves (mousus and such) 

Recording supports (Maybe writing some?) 

I’m more mad about needing to wait until March to play as Owain; he’s so funny 

1 hour ago, IEatLasers said:

I get it...

uodating models. Adding promotion and broken costumes. 

Updating moves (mousus and such) 

Recording supports (Maybe writing some?) 

I’m more mad about needing to wait until March to play as Owain; he’s so funny 

On the bright side, every time you do a critical strike, special, and awakening attack your going to hear Owain over the top attack names. Or so I hope.

8 hours ago, Slumber said:

I would accept a microtransaction system if it meant FE Warriors becoming a war-themed hat simulator.

Eh, sorry to say, but since it looks like the characters already in the game are more "partially" in the game (aka unfinished), I don't really have much of an urge to cry foul play here. It looks like they are indeed unselectable because they're just the pizza in the "uncooked pizza dough with sauce and cheese on it" stage. If they're truly adding in plenty new content for the NPCs already in so they function as playable characters, I think it's fine.

Let me put it this way.

Should Burning Legion, the 1st expansion for world of warcraft, have been free because Hellfire Penninsula was in the classic version of WoW? How about the Demon Hunter class? Should it had been free because various NPCs used the class and it was originally intended for the original release? How about How about episode Prompto for Final Fantasy XV? Should that have been free because he was a character in the game?

And before you say that of course not because they came with extra content and what was there was not complete, realize its the same with Oboro, Navarre, Owain, and Niles.

Not a one of these characters are finished products. Oboro doesnt even have a complete model. All they have are generic movesets and voiced lines for stories. Niles was the only one with any supports, and it was only 1 support. considering he releases in a month, its understandable why he might have some parts already in the files. Otherwise not a one of them have a moveset, specials, supports, voiced lines, skills, promotions, costumes, ways to unlock, etc.

Along with that you are getting 3 History Mode maps. And before you ask what that has to do with the 3 characters, notice how there are 3 characters and 3 maps? And Lyn and Celica are unlocked through maps? Do you not think it will be the same ordeal with the DLC? So not just are you getting entirely new characters with the DLC, you are also getting a history map along with them. On top of this you are receiving costumes, new supports, new skills, new weapons, new music, new new classes that can change how you go about a map, etc.

This isnt some money grubbing DLC pack asking for $15 dollars for 1 new character and a few maps ripped directly from the base game. This is all reasonably well priced and giving a ton of content, and when all combined together more content than the base game has to offer for less that the price of the base game itself. And we are going to decide that its not worth the money because of 4 of the characters being NPCs in the base game?

Now I am not here to convince you whether or not you should or should not buy this. It is your money after all, but I do think its quite foolish, and really a case of boy who cried wolf to call this DLC corporate trickery.

Regarding supports and quotes, note that the 2 Niles supports were in English, not Japanese, which suggests they were actually cleaning files to remove traces of the characters, but overlooked those due to the language difference.

ways to unlock, etc

It's pretty obvious they were supposed to join in the story but were just cut at some point of development. Just look at Owain. He appears as an ally npc in his debut, like other characters, but when he "joins" the party he's often completely missing, unlike the foreign prince, not even appearing as an npc ally. They basically designed the maps with the idea of these characters being one of the four player choices, but then cut them from the game for one reason or another.

57 minutes ago, NeonZ said:

Regarding supports and quotes, note that the 2 Niles supports were in English, not Japanese, which suggests they were actually cleaning files to remove traces of the characters, but overlooked those due to the language difference.

That doesn't mean they were complete or near complete though.  It just means they were removing what they had completed.

If you have a problem with a piece of DLC, don't buy it (but do buy the game; if you don't buy the game they won't get a message that your issue is with the DLC), while encouraging others to do the same. The reason practices like this spread is because consumers reward them.

Personally I don't really care about what is and isn't DLC. I don't buy much DLC anyway, unless it sounds like a really good deal. What surprises me is that I meet a lot of people who are a lot more angry than me about DLC practices... who seem to invariably buy all of it. Which I find mind-boggling.

16 hours ago, Slumber said:

I know it's a good meme and all that, but you don't need to buy lootboxes to "beat" the true ending in Shadow of War. That was (some) reviewers being bad at the game.

Edited by Tryhard

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

I know it's a good meme and all that, but you don't need to buy lootboxes to "beat" the true ending in Shadow of War. That was (some) reviewers being bad at the game.

Reviewers? Being bad at games? Who would ever know of such? It's almost like they only play an hour of the game before putting out a review so they can get their sites more popular for getting reviews out quick.

On 10/19/2017 at 2:26 PM, familyplayer said:

As if they weren't making enough bad PR decisions, this and Ayra have made things turn down a very dark path... I was hoping the Echoes reaction would make sure nothing would happen again for a couple years or so, but I see that an EA representative a money-grubber or two has decided to do some not so nice practices. Guess we'll just have to vote with our wallets and hope.

Bolded emphasis.

Places like this are white noise to the devs. Maybe they'll listen to feedback on how the game *plays*, but once it comes to money, the guys that matter only listen to the bottom line.

And let's face it: the DLC for Awakening and Fates did very, very well (not too sure about Echoes; I think $50 was too much even for superfans. I didn't even get any Echoes DLC, and I have every game save Thracia on display in my house), and as someone mentioned in one of the FEH threads, that game's gross earnings jumped after the Ayra update.*

We have to accept that this is a major series now, and as such, in 2017, it tends to cater to people who have more money than brains, and are far more willing to use the former than the latter.

That means, if we really want something to change, we have to simply start making that decision at the base level and not paying. It sucks, I know, but consider the alternatives: the closest analogue to Fire Emblem on Nintendo systems is Advance Wars. There is already a very good Advance Wars clone on iOS for like $5, and there's another indie game dropping that looks good, too. So someone will give us the core gameplay experience without IS or Nintendo's input. It's inevitable. We just have to show there's a market for it.

* - Actually, the maths on this don't check out. Gross earnings did jump when the ayra update hit, but the jump wasn't even as high as it was when the Performing Arts update hit, per App Annie.

. . .and how does telling the world that you're upset make things better, TC?

If all you're going to do is complain in this subforum, then why even show up?

8 hours ago, Superbus said:

Bolded emphasis.

Places like this are white noise to the devs. Maybe they'll listen to feedback on how the game *plays*, but once it comes to money, the guys that matter only listen to the bottom line.

And let's face it: the DLC for Awakening and Fates did very, very well (not too sure about Echoes; I think $50 was too much even for superfans. I didn't even get any Echoes DLC, and I have every game save Thracia on display in my house), and as someone mentioned in one of the FEH threads, that game's gross earnings jumped after the Ayra update.*

We have to accept that this is a major series now, and as such, in 2017, it tends to cater to people who have more money than brains, and are far more willing to use the former than the latter.

That means, if we really want something to change, we have to simply start making that decision at the base level and not paying. It sucks, I know, but consider the alternatives: the closest analogue to Fire Emblem on Nintendo systems is Advance Wars. There is already a very good Advance Wars clone on iOS for like $5, and there's another indie game dropping that looks good, too. So someone will give us the core gameplay experience without IS or Nintendo's input. It's inevitable. We just have to show there's a market for it.

* - Actually, the maths on this don't check out. Gross earnings did jump when the ayra update hit, but the jump wasn't even as high as it was when the Performing Arts update hit, per App Annie.

The thing is, the Season Pass actually has more for your money than the base game (about 2.20 per character and History Mode map compared to 2.60 per character and 12 bucks per History Mode map). When DLC is almost always sold at a premium, this looks like a steal. So what that a few of the characters were incomplete and got featured in the game's story mode as NPC? Content that is unable to be completed in time ends up as DLC pretty often. Games like World of Warcraft and Destiny ended up dummying out whole areas that where half-way completed, only to add them back in as part of expansions-- should they have been given to players free because they were partially completed and technically in the game data? Heck, all the updates to Smash 4 gave you the DLC characters-- you're just paying to unlock them. Yet nobody complained about that.

Also, thanks for passive-aggressively attacking people buying the DLC as "having more money than brains". This is probably the most bang for the buck the series has ever had with DLC, yet people just bitch about it and insult others over it.