I'm Upset That They're Selling Characters Already In The Game As DLC

Captain Karnage

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-warriors-dlc-characters-revealed-azura-tharja-more/

so yeah, my mixed feeling have already turned south, I thought that these characters were unlockables like Lyn and Cecilia 

I've already paid off the game but I haven't bought the DLC, and I plan on not even touching the DLC at this point, I'm very upset, I don't even want to bother with wanting a sequel at this point

Edited by Captain Karnage

As if they weren't making enough bad PR decisions, this and Ayra have made things turn down a very dark path... I was hoping the Echoes reaction would make sure nothing would happen again for a couple years or so, but I see that an EA representative a money-grubber or two has decided to do some not so nice practices. Guess we'll just have to vote with our wallets and hope.

I'm just happy Minerva and Linde are in. The NPC cash-grab strategy could be seen from a mile away. They were finished, fully fleshed out characters from Story Mode taken out at the last minute to take extra money off them. They hype up the fans by having them in the base game somewhat, so that they can lure them for sure past Paywall Fortress. Simultaneously, that's 4 less characters they need to create to complete a big Season Pass.

#KTthings

Edited by Gaia093

3 minutes ago, familyplayer said:

As if they weren't making enough bad PR decisions, this and Ayra have made things turn down a very dark path... I was hoping the Echoes reaction would make sure nothing would happen again for a couple years or so, but I see that an EA representative a money-grubber or two has decided to do some not so nice practices. Guess we'll just have to vote with our wallets and hope.

This.  The more I read of it the more I was convinced this is what's happening to IS - and Nintendo in general.

As @Gaia093 said, the NPC characters have already been voiced and given full movesets so whoever decided to pull them out of the base game at the last second is pure scum. I figured after Hyrule Warriors had such a praised DLC scheme that the NPCs would be free downloads alongside the Season Pass but clearly not.

And that's not even getting into the fact that they put Azura in the DLC, given how big a part of Fates she is and how eager the public will be to play as her. There's no room for her in the base game, yet Niles and Oboro are okay as NPCs, IS? Really?

With how generous Heroes was until this point I'd almost forgotten the sleazefest that was the Echoes DLC. It seems IS (as well as Nintendo) is indeed headed down a very dark path.

11 minutes ago, Gaia093 said:

I'm just happy Minerva and Linde are in. The NPC cash-grab strategy could be seen from a mile away. They were finished, fully fleshed out characters from Story Mode taken out at the last minute to take extra money off them. They hype up the fans by having them in the base game somewhat, so that they can lure them for sure past Paywall Fortress. Simultaneously, that's 4 less characters they need to create to complete a big Season Pass.

#KTthings

3 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

This.  The more I read of it the more I was convinced this is what's happening to IS - and Nintendo in general.

As @Gaia093 said, the NPC characters have already been voiced and given full movesets so whoever decided to pull them out of the base game at the last second is pure scum. I figured after Hyrule Warriors had such a praised DLC scheme that the NPCs would be free downloads alongside the Season Pass but clearly not.

And that's not even getting into the fact that they put Azura in the DLC, given how big a part of Fates she is and how eager the public will be to play as her. There's no room for her in the base game, yet Niles and Oboro are okay as NPCs, IS? Really?

With how generous Heroes was until this point I'd almost forgotten the sleazefest that was the Echoes DLC. It seems IS (as well as Nintendo) is indeed headed down a very dark path.

Stop saying this stuff.

The characters AREN'T done. Their moves are 100% copied and pasted from other characters, and generic enemy units. Hell, their models aren't even finished, as they're noticeably more pixelated than the other characters.

They aren't on disk DLC.

39 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-warriors-dlc-characters-revealed-azura-tharja-more/

so yeah, my mixed feeling have already turned south, I thought that these characters were unlockables like Lyn and Cecilia 

I've already paid off the game but I haven't bought the DLC, and I plan on not even touching the DLC at this point, I'm very upset, I don't even want to bother with wanting a sequel at this point

27 minutes ago, Gaia093 said:

#KTthings

19 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

The NPCs had incomplete movesets shared with generic enemies and models of noticeably lower quality than the playable characters (Oboro's arms just extend out of her solid-color sleeves, for instance). They have some voiced lines in-story and a couple of combat grunts, but nothing else besides that.
The people crying and calling this on-cart DLC are exaggerating things to ludicrous extents. They were included in the game only in a very incomplete state.

Man, such disinformation people are spreading. I'll say this, if the NPC in the DLC are still just clone movesets then yeah, time to be angry. However, its quite likely that the movesets they have as NPCs are just placeholders. If they get their own unique playstyles then yeah, it will be worth the DLC cost.

50 minutes ago, Dragonage2ftw said:

Stop saying this stuff.

The characters AREN'T done. Their moves are 100% copied and pasted from other characters, and generic enemy units. Hell, their models aren't even finished, as they're noticeably more pixelated than the other characters.

They aren't on disk DLC.

18 minutes ago, wissenschaft said:

Man, such disinformation people are spreading. I'll say this, if the NPC in the DLC are still just clone movesets then yeah, time to be angry. However, its quite likely that the movesets they have as NPCs are just placeholders. If they get their own unique playstyles then yeah, it will be worth the DLC cost.

Yeah, no. Aside from Oboro they're going to be clones. That's just hopelessly naive and optimistic to assume otherwise.

In fact I'd be surprised if Oboro herself doesn't just share a moveset with Azura, too.

It seems I was a bit hasty and that the DLC characters still need work done. However I'll hold onto my opinion that IS is being lazy for easy profits until we see everyone's movesets since, in the worst case scenario, we'll only get one new one (shared by Oboro and Azura, at that). Maybe Linde will get something unique, but I'm certain Tharja is going to share a moveset with someone.

Just now, DefyingFates said:

It seems I was a bit hasty and that the DLC characters still need work done. However I'll hold onto my opinion that IS is being lazy for easy profits until we see everyone's movesets since, in the worst case scenario, we'll only get one new one (shared by Oboro and Azura, at that). Maybe Linde will get something unique, but I'm certain Tharja is going to share a moveset with someone.

Tharja and Linde will share the mage moveset with Robin, most likely.

2 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Hyrule Warriors did do that with the free npc updates, but that's pretty rare tbh. For Azura not fitting, it would honestly be hard to. The Fates represented is more Birthright vs Conquest, not Revelations or General Fates. Azura would be hard to work in given her relationship to each family is based off Corrin. Either she's regarded as a family member by one or an outcast by the other, and having the developers decide where she fits isn't right given her fluctuating character. If they did Revelations has a third representative then It wouldn't be a problem, but scene in the early game it is Birthright vs Conquest, which was the original appeal of fates.

Can we call it a Dark path? Okay them announcing the dlc before echoes came out may have been wrong, but it was content that didn't really fit in the base game, either design wise or lore wise. They didn't have to give us dlc, but they did, maybe a little early but I still think it was good. Shouldn't support for a game after it's release be embraced? Especially when the content is optional and doesn't fit the base game?

34 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Hyrule Warriors did do that with the free npc updates, but that's pretty rare tbh. For Azura not fitting, it would honestly be hard to. The Fates represented is more Birthright vs Conquest, not Revelations or General Fates. Azura would be hard to work in given her relationship to each family is based off Corrin. Either she's regarded as a family member by one or an outcast by the other, and having the developers decide where she fits isn't right given her fluctuating character. If they did Revelations has a third representative then It wouldn't be a problem, but scene in the early game it is Birthright vs Conquest, which was the original appeal of fates.

Can we call it a Dark path? Okay them announcing the dlc before echoes came out may have been wrong, but it was content that didn't really fit in the base game, either design wise or lore wise. They didn't have to give us dlc, but they did, maybe a little early but I still think it was good. Shouldn't support for a game after it's release be embraced? Especially when the content is optional and doesn't fit the base game?

I don't know how Warriors adapts the Hoshido vs Nohr conflict, but surely Azura could have been included as Corrin's confidant as she was in Fates proper. If not, she really should have been a post-game unlockable a la Lyn, Celica and Anna.

As for Echoes: the problem was also that the content was ridiculously overpriced, especially compared to Fates and Awakening's DLCs (I could be wrong about this point, but Echoes' maps were definitely more expensive). There's also the fact that gold is incredibly difficult to come by (even if you exploit the final floor of the post-game dungeon) and grinding is a chore in Echoes due to the EXP gain drop-off, meaning levelling up your units was a long process unless you fought an Entombed (which gives extra experience). However, there's usually only one Entombed in some dungeons and it will always run away and disappear if you're too slow - which is made more likely because other enemies will try to get in your way.

Contrast that with the DLC, which gives you dungeons filled with Entombed that also drop bags of Silver and Gold Marks whenever you want and it almost starts to feel like a Pay 2 Win game at that point. Apparently Gaiden also had low EXP gains so the hardcore probably don't care, but as someone who's only played some of the second half of the FE library...well.

And that's not even getting into how the best weapons are near-impossible to get without DLC unless you're RNGesus himself.

Edited by DefyingFates

23 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I don't know how Warriors adapts the Hoshido vs Nohr conflict, but surely Azura could have been included as Corrin's confidant as she was in Fates proper. If not, she really should have been a post-game unlockable a la Lyn, Celica and Anna.

As for Echoes: the problem was also that the content was ridiculously overpriced, especially compared to Fates and Awakening's DLCs (I could be wrong about this point, but Echoes' maps were definitely more expensive). There's also the fact that gold is incredibly difficult to come by (even if you exploit the final floor of the post-game dungeon) and grinding is a chore in Echoes due to the EXP gain drop-off, meaning levelling up your units was a long process unless you fought an Entombed (which gives extra experience). However, there's usually only one Entombed in some dungeons and it will always run away and disappear if you're too slow - which is made more likely because other enemies will try to get in your way.

Contrast that with the DLC, which gives you dungeons filled with Entombed that also drop bags of Silver and Gold Marks whenever you want and it almost starts to feel like a Pay 2 Win game at that point. Apparently Gaiden also had low EXP gains so the hardcore probably don't care, but as someone who's only played some of the second half of the FE library...well.

And that's not even getting into how the best weapons are near-impossible to get without DLC unless you're RNGesus himself.

Don't forget the Overclass DLC, which was not only overpriced but there was nothing to actually use them on.

23 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

True but it's how they decided to include her. The conflict is set Hoshido vs Nohr due to warriors taking place right when Corrin makes their choice.

But wasn't Echoes dlc equal to fates and awakening's in total? Awakening had like 3 maps for $10 and had a few sets of that, okay maybe pricing was high but as I said it was content not fitted for the main game. Also the gold and exp dlc are meant to be boosters, Fire Emblem likes to be faithful to its remakes if we look at shadow dragon and new mystery. Ultimately it's just getting familiar with the games mechanics since it is so faithful to the original. I honestly got the season pass since I had been saving up for it. But besides that I would probably still grind units up like I've done with a few past games. Sacred stones was not graceful with exp once you got high enough leveled, and I feel that here in echoes, maybe not to the same extent as 1 exp but still noticeable for me. The game does give you the Royal sword, a brave sword or two, and Gradivus. There's also plenty of currency if you explore and do quests. The only bad thing I can say is the limited number of blessed bows. It may take luck but even with the dlc it's hard to get. Which I find fitting given they're the best weapons in the game, and it's not like everyone needs it at once due to limited deployment slots.

5 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Don't forget the Overclass DLC, which was not only overpriced but there was nothing to actually use them on.

I would say the slightly higher caps and other benefits helps in act 6, as that is really the only viable way to try to farm the legendary weapons without the dlc map, though at that point might as well just get the dlc map instead. But I've said it multiple times, they were scrapped content they decided to give to us as it didn't fit with the context of the game. DLC though does whatever it wants.

To be honest, if they were going to do this, I feel they should of had the characters ALL the way in or not in at all. Guess we'll have to wait to see how this turns out. I try so hard to be an optimist with this game, but they make it so damn hard.

3 minutes ago, familyplayer said:

I try so hard to be an optimist with this game, but they make it so damn hard.

Pretty much the story of our relationship with the PR in a nutshell.

57 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Don't you mean herself?  Everyone knows that Anna is RNGesus around these parts.

Regardless of whether their playable character assets were complete or not, it's still kind of upsetting that I'll have to pay for characters already present in the game.  But I'll be damned if I don't wreck fools as my favorite racist fashionista or the glorious warrior princess of Macedon.

People are really short sighted.

Regarding the NPCs

*Models aren't polished (look at Oboro's sleeves during her intro)

*No support convos for anyone but Niles

*Only a few of text-based Battle banter is in the game

*Pair-up specials dialogue is not in the game

*Navigator/Menu dialogue is not in the game

*Victory animations aren't in the game

*Musous aren't in the game

*Awakenings aren't in the game.

*Personal skills and materials aren't in the game.

*Promoted models are not in the game

There's plenty of stuff to justify them being paid. But, there was just enough that it also justifies them being free. It's a grey area, but don't act like it's unreasonable to have them being paid for all that work that wasn't done yet.

Edited by guedesbrawl

Being upset over characters that appear in the game being unplayable at base is understandable and all but some people calling the NPCs "finished, fully fleshed out characters from Story Mode" may be getting a little presumptuous. Take support conversations for example, during the datamine only one of the four unplayable NPCs had any at all and I think it was only two conversations.

Edited by donkeykhang
forgot some words

7 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

Yeah, no. Aside from Oboro they're going to be clones. That's just hopelessly naive and optimistic to assume otherwise.

In fact I'd be surprised if Oboro herself doesn't just share a moveset with Azura, too.

Proof?

Because there’s no evidence that suggests what you’re saying.

Clones are done to pad out a base roster. They probably won’t just be more copypasta’s, since, you know, people have to PAY FOR THEM.

47 minutes ago, Dragonage2ftw said:

Proof?

Because there’s no evidence that suggests what you’re saying.

Clones are done to pad out a base roster. They probably won’t just be more copypasta’s, since, you know, people have to PAY FOR THEM.

You aren't paying for the clone moveset--that's ALREADY in the game.

You are paying for the polished models, an extra promoted model, and all the unique things each of the clones have over their originals (supports, personal skill, musou, awakening, voiced lines in pair-up, battle banter, etc)

If Owain, Niles, Oboro, and Navarre were gonna be DLC, then they should've been free, imo. Then we could've added more characters to replace them in the paid DLC 

3 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

If Owain, Niles, Oboro, and Navarre were gonna be DLC, then they should've been free, imo. Then we could've added more characters to replace them in the paid DLC 

I think they'd only be free if they were clones. If the DLC gives them unique movesets then its worth the price of the season pass.

5 minutes ago, wissenschaft said:

I think they'd only be free if they were clones. If the DLC gives them unique movesets then its worth the price of the season pass.

I think we're going to have to wait and see. I have a feeling Niles will have the standard archer moveset that Takumi, Sakura, and Anna have, with just some combo and special deviations. Oboro will be new for sure, and I wonder if Azura will have the same moveset or not. I think they should be different, since Azura's class allows for gimmicks, but who knows.

11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Welcome to the future. Speak now or forever hold your peace.

BREAKING: FEW2 to have loot boxes to unlock characters.

Pay $20 for you FEW bucks for more chances to unlock!

Edited by Slumber