Is there any canon confirmation of Nino's family?

DefyingFates

I looked at her wiki page a few days ago and saw that it lists Raigh and Lugh from FE6 as her sons, as well as Canas as her uncle. The former is only implied by the boys being green haired mages and the latter is implied by her support conversation with Canas in this game, though I saw a Support Science by Ghast Station who said this was in fact confirmed. Where? The two don't have a paired ending or anything that would spell this out, so was this confirmed by IS themselves?

As for the twins, I get that them being Nino's is the inference you're supposed to make when you see them since they're orphans, but I was wondering if this too is something IS clarified later or there's a point later on in FE6 where they mention their mother/ father was on the run.

These are probably very simple answers (I'm probably just being overly cautious) but I'd appreciate some answers nonetheless. I also want to clarify that I've only played the first 4/ 5 chapters of FE6 and plan to finish it, so please refrain from FE6 spoilers if you can (at the very least, be vague if my hypothetical scenario above does end up happening). 

Spoiler

I do know - thanks to the wiki - that Lugh states his parents died when he was 4, so part of my asking this may be because I don't want this to happen to Nino. Then again, I have some hope that he's actually referring to her going into hiding because he doesn't know any better... :'P

Thanks in advance!

Edited by DefyingFates

I think this is a case where Video Game logic applies and simple inference.

Nino was designed to look like Lugh and Raigh. Her paired endings both mention having twins that were placed in an orphanage, and we know Lugh and Raigh are twins that come from one. It's details like this written because they were made to be connected. Otherwise, why are they mentioned at all? Law of Conservation of Detail, and all that.

To give an example also semi-related to the twins: Lucius's solo ending mentions he opens up an orphanage in Araphen. Why would the writers do that if not meant to be linked to the orphanage that Laugh, Raigh, and Chad come (it was in Araphen, after all) from? Although this one is not a nice detail, since the orphanage's caretaker was killed by the invading Bern forces.

To quote something from a post I made long ago addressing this particular issue...

Binding Blade has twin characters, Lugh and Raigh. They physically resemble Nino, which in real life it would be circumstancial evidence at best. But let's not forget we are talking about video games, and that the game they appeared in was made first, so it's more accurate to say that Nino resembles them, and that Nino comes from a game that was made as a prequel of the game the twins appeared in and contains methods to ensure the events that could contradict Binding Blade can't happen. Now, before we already established that it's canon that Nino lives through the events of Blazing Sword. Her paired endings both agree she gives birth to twins. So with those points and her resemblance to Lugh and Raigh, it can be concluded that she is the twins' mother. So we can establish that as canon.

39 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think this is a case where Video Game logic applies and simple inference.

Nino was designed to look like Lugh and Raigh. Her paired endings both mention having twins that were placed in an orphanage, and we know Lugh and Raigh are twins that come from one. It's details like this written because they were made to be connected. Otherwise, why are they mentioned at all? Law of Conservation of Detail, and all that.

To give an example also semi-related to the twins: Lucius's solo ending mentions he opens up an orphanage in Araphen. Why would the writers do that if not meant to be linked to the orphanage that Laugh, Raigh, and Chad come (it was in Araphen, after all) from? Although this one is not a nice detail, since the orphanage's caretaker was killed by the invading Bern forces.

To quote something from a post I made long ago addressing this particular issue...

Thank you for this!

I figured it was just a case of inference but wanted to remove all doubt at the risk of making myself seem slow. But by doing so I got to read your amazing post, so thanks again! The implication that Nino was added to give the twins a mother is interesting (I don't know if they're popular enough to warrant a character as amazing as her or not, nor how I should feel about that) as is the detail about Lucius: I guess that's the benefit of writing a prequel last. (Poor guy, assuming he didn't leave running the orphanage to someone else.)

So now I know that Nino's children are heavily signposted by the games (I just met Raigh in FE6 and wish one of Nino's sons isn't always as rough as he is right now :P) What of her being Canas' niece? Is there any further evidence to suggest that beyond the support conversation and the Law of Conservation of Detail?

(P.S. I also need to find that FE7 novelisation. Is it easy to find and has it been translated, by fans or otherwise?)

Edited by DefyingFates

40 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

So now I know that Nino's children are heavily signposted by the games (I just met Raigh in FE6 and wish one of Nino's sons isn't always as rough as he is right now :P) What of her being Canas' niece? Is there any further evidence to suggest that beyond the support conversation and the Law of Conservation of Detail?

As far as I know, no. But it usually goes in Fire Emblem that these kinds of conversations, unless they have a follow up conversation that casts doubt on the previous conversation, you can usually take whatever revelations as fact.

Otherwise there wouldn't be much point in Canas bringing up that his wife's sister shared a name with Nino's mother, and that she was a talented mage. That conversation is met with total sincerity. And while Canas could be lying to Nino to make her feel better, that's not really in his character.

Also, by this connection, you can mention that Hugh is also Nino's cousin.

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

(P.S. I also need to find that FE7 novelisation. Is it easy to find and has it been translated, by fans or otherwise?)

The novelization, to some extent, assumes things that aren't suggested by the game, though.

Certain characters in FE7 don't die if they lose all HP; at the end of the chapter, you'll see a brief scene explaining that they're still alive, but no longer able to fight.

Some of these characters have roles later in FE7 (most notably Marcus and Oswin, who remain your "scorekeepers" when you check your Tactician ranking in Eliwood and Hector mode respectively even if they've fallen in battle) while others must canonically survive either to be present in FE6 or to have children who were present in FE6.

And Nino is one of those characters.

Edited by Paper Jam