Which would be better to use?

BrokenGrace

So I've been playing around for awhile with the idea of De-making Shadow Dragon so to speak into the GBA games, I know there was a project floating around a few years back but it seems like it has more or less died off. I've been working on it for a few months actually, worked out how I'd do Growth Rates and Base Stats depending on a couple of scenarios.

Right now I'm trying to determine if I'd be better off making the game using Fire Emblem 7, or Sacred Stones there are pros and cons to both for sure.

Fire Emblem 7 Has a lot of material as well as the way it's designed is closer to the Vanilla Game in which each class had only one promotion.

Sacred Stones however, has less reference materials for me to work with as well as myself being less familiar with editing it. But as a pro it has branching promotions which could allow me to get more creative with gameplay as well as help with unit diversity problems which is something I'd really want to somehow fix with this (I mean seriously, 7 Pre-Promote Cavaliers? If you were to promote them all you'd potentially have 10 Paladins).

So I guess what I'm wondering is, should I try to use Sacred Stones as the base or Fire Emblem 7? My goal is to keep it close to the source material but also flesh out some characters with supports, and in trying to keep it close to the original experience should I try to go with Fire Emblem 7 which would make the experience more similar to FE3 in a sense, or should I go with Fire Emblem 8 which would likely prove more difficult but also allow for characters to be more unique in their development as well as make the project a more unique experience?

EDIT: I also realize now that the title is likely inappropriate as neither is truly "better" but I can't think of a much better title. 

Edited by BrokenGrace
Explanation and Clarification?

FE7 is better documented as far as events etc. go and if you want normal FE7 mechanics then it's fine. You can create a full hack from start to finish without issue.

If you want fancy assembly hacks, skills systems, branching promotions etc, then go with FE8, but be prepared for a more involved hacking process.