Awakening/Fates or Classic?

Lucario666

How do you want FE Switch to play closer to?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want FE Switch to play closer to?

I voted classic, however I am of the opinion that EVERY FE game has something good about it that could enhance the next FE installment if maintained. For instance I really like the world map of Echoes/Gaiden with its villages, shrines, caves etc. and would love to see this kind of approach again just have more continents, kingdoms, maybe some islands with various villages and kingdoms etc. Awakening introduced the pair up system (now I don't generally use pair up but it is a nice mechanic and in certain situations makes sense) Awakening also of the games that feature character creation did it the best, there are 3 build sizes a variety of hair and face options I just wish facial hair had been one of them. Radiant Dawn has a lot of good mechanics and even skills I would like to see again such as Saviour, Resolve, Colossus, Corrosion, Stun and others but one of the things I really love that Radiant Dawn does is its forging system. Due to how much control the player has over what get's improved and how much not to mention the player can choose to have their new weapon be any outlandish color they choose I consider this game to have the best forging system. The only downside is you can't forge poleaxes, greatlances or Blade swords. Genealogy of the Holy War also has a variety of mechanic I would like to see again but in particular I want to see the weapon repair function brought back. Sacred Stones had variations with their monsters which I enjoyed and would like to see that kind of creativity again. So in short what I would love to see is using mechanics and features from EVERY FE title not just borrowing ideas from the latest FE game. 

16 hours ago, Gebby said:

Both tbh, but classic if I have to choose.

justbringbackhugemapsplease

As long as those huge maps don't make infantry units useless 

Horses are already super useful, if the maps are too big for on foot units to catch up to horseback units, I think I might cry. I already play enough horse emblem in FEH, I don't need to repeat that over here 

On 10/26/2017 at 2:31 AM, Doof said:

As long as those huge maps don't make infantry units useless 

Horses are already super useful, if the maps are too big for on foot units to catch up to horseback units, I think I might cry. I already play enough horse emblem in FEH, I don't need to repeat that over here 

You raise a valid concern however I have often thought a way around this would be, to have the maps of varying sizes. For instance have some huge outdoor maps like in FE4, followed by some smaller urban setting map where the foot infantry get's to shine, and maybe add a few defend fortress maps where knights get to be put to good use as well. Another thing would be raising the movement of foot infantry in SoV it seems relatively easy for Dread Fighters to keep up with Gold knights so maybe have a similar movement ration there.

By the way what's FEH like? I never played it as I have never been interested in mobile games.

In terms of story, I'd rather go with the rich lore and politics of the classical era, and Elibe/Tellius in particular, though with much less hero-worshipping. In terms of gameplay, I'd go much further with the approach and mechanics of Conquest that outright makes a one-man army gameplay impossible.

1 hour ago, SavageVolug said:

You raise a valid concern however I have often thought a way around this would be, to have the maps of varying sizes. For instance have some huge outdoor maps like in FE4, followed by some smaller urban setting map where the foot infantry get's to shine, and maybe add a few defend fortress maps where knights get to be put to good use as well. Another thing would be raising the movement of foot infantry in SoV it seems relatively easy for Dread Fighters to keep up with Gold knights so maybe have a similar movement ration there.

By the way what's FEH like? I never played it as I have never been interested in mobile games.

They should also be unhesitant/unsparing with more anti-cavalry weapon-carrying units on later chapters and higher difficulties to force us to solve with other units.

Edited by henrymidfields

On 10/27/2017 at 9:57 AM, henrymidfields said:

In terms of story, I'd rather go with the rich lore and politics of the classical era, and Elibe/Tellius in particular, though with much less hero-worshipping. In terms of gameplay, I'd go much further with the approach and mechanics of Conquest that outright makes a one-man army gameplay impossible.

They should also be unhesitant/unsparing with more anti-cavalry weapon-carrying units on later chapters and higher difficulties to force us to solve with other units.

Oh, yeah definitely I agree. While I like both classes and gameplay on Conquest as a whole Fates is very lacking in weapon variety especially when one compares to the GBA games, Tellius games or even Awakening. It's something that I hope changes with the next installment.

• 5 weeks later...

This game series is very much alive due to its accessibility and the appeal of the ability to pair up (and pair with) its characters that was a major part of Fates and Awakening. While I think it's cool we have games like SoV that differ from it and push the series in new directions, the game mechanics introduced in those games helped make it into a wider reaching series. 

So yes, make it like Awakening. Give it a Sacred Stones map, give it S supports, give it casual mode, and give it a self insert that you can pair with a character of your choice. I want this game to sell well, and none of those come anywhere close to ruining the experience. As a matter of fact, I actually like S supports. I don't mind for it to innovate in some ways, but for a game this pivotal you shouldn't fix what isn't broken.

Though, I will admit that children should probably go. It worked in Awakening, but Puberty-realms was cringe inducing. 

Also, what even defines 'classic' FE? All those games were so different.