What units do you wish you could use but can't?

NekoKnight

1 hour ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

Ogma: First off, I like Akihiro's style, but those arm muscles are wild and look partially like tumors. Also I'm talking mostly about his damaged art that has some bumps that just look weird. I've looked up some really buff dudes and it comes really close otherwise, but those weird jumps between forearm and upper arm weird me out; maybe I'm wrong and it's totally anatomically correct.

Ogma's idle art is fine to me (I mean it doesn't make him look amazing, but I think it kind of works for him considering his past), but his attacking and special art are kind of savage (once again kind of fitting...but also awkward). He kind of goes from ruggedly handsome to, "I can tear your ear off with my teeth." What's even funnier is the juxtaposition of his savage intensity with the delicate design of the Brave Sword. It seems SOOOO out of place. 

24 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

She comes from the world of Code Geass.

Once the proportions deviate enough from the model, I stop caring that the proportions make sense and pay attention to the general aesthetics of the style. No one complains that chibis have weird proportions, and I don't see why deviation in the reverse extreme should be any different.

Those are the actual positions of those muscles, but chiseled to an exaggerated degree.

Concerning Wendy: A valid point. Being rather unique in her design, she stands out a bit more noteably than others, but I don't hate Arthur's weird design from Codename S.T.E.A.M, either. I'm not too bothered by her, unless I take a closer look, but I'd be lying if I said she looked unpleasant. I couldn't exclude her from the list, though, she is just too weird on closer inspection.

Concerning Ogma: I guess it's just too accentuated to be pleasing to my eyes. But yeah, I can't deny that the positions are correct. Luckily, Gunter and Jagen wear armour to not cause the same issue.

5 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Ogma's idle art is fine to me (I mean it doesn't make him look amazing, but I think it kind of works for him considering his past), but his attacking and special art are kind of savage (once again kind of fitting...but also awkward). He kind of goes from ruggedly handsome to, "I can tear your ear off with my teeth." What's even funnier is the juxtaposition of his savage intensity with the delicate design of the Brave Sword. It seems SOOOO out of place. 

It's mostly the damaged art I was talking about, the rest I can live with just fine, but the region around his left elbow just seem so weird. It's like he is partially diseased or is melting away... I don't even know how to describe it; it looks unhealthy.

image.png

I try to build everyone, so I will eventually get around to using everyone at some point in the Training Tower at the very least.

In my opinion, everyone is at least somewhat useful. Even characters with the worst stat distribution can utilize a Gem Weapon/Brave Bow/Raven/Poison Dagger/Triangle Adept-Breaker build to counter specific units.

With some exceptions, staff users will be last group of characters I will build, so I guess they are the ones who are the closest to being never used.

I do not discriminate against bad art... I think. Cordelia looks funny, so I guess that is why she is still stuck at level 1 as a 4*+10 even though she got all major skills inherited and most of them learned. I do plan to level her up to 40 at some point, just not now. I do have a tertiary neutral Cordelia (my secondary Cordelia still needs to be assembled) with Drag Back that I seldom use for Arena Assault, but I do not really count this one since I kept her mostly for her novel nature and I do not plan to actually use this one once my main Cordelia is complete.

9 hours ago, eclipse said:

- You thought Eldigan was bad?  I happen to be fond of Stahl.  Not even a Ruby Sword can save him at this point.

What is wrong with Stahl? Just give him Seal Atk Def, and he will basically be Seth but less handsome.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Titania: I pulled a 5-Star recently but Titania's just really lackluster imo. Doesn't help that i'm not really a fan of the Triangle Adept weapons. As Skills, i don't mind them, but as weapons, there's just so many better options.

You can never have enough Reinhardt tank and counters in my opinion.

9 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Catria
I honestly have no idea how to build for her stat distribution. I have like a million of her, but I can't do anything about it because I have no idea what build she should actually be using.

Since you have tons of the same character, why not build multiple Catrias? [+Atk, -Res] for Brave Lance, [+Spd, -Res] for Slaying Lance/Firesweep L, [+Def, -Res] for Sapphire Lance-Swordbreaker, [+Res, -Def] for Sapphire Lance-Distant Counter, and neutral vanilla 3*, 4*, & 5* for Grand Hero Battles. It is always nice to have more options in Arena Assault and Grand Hero Battles.

8 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

Caeda, Florina, Clair, what have they done to you?

They are all decent mage tanks.

7 hours ago, Tsak said:

- Seth: He's pretty garbage, one of my all time favorites in FE8. But he's largely unusable in this game, i use him for fortress defense fodder for goofy builds on other units that have a use

He is great for Arena Assault. I have not actually used him yet, but he is basically Stahl 2.0. Stahl is a good Hector counter, at least for me anyway.

6 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I don't discriminate based on bad art because I'm not a monster like you people. They are Naga's creation.

Preach, brother.

That being said, I still judge a character based on their looks though. It makes training them less enjoyable.

— — — — — — —

With Arena Assault, I thought people would finally get to use their favorite characters. Even if they are stuck with a Gem Weapon or Triangle Adept build, they are still useful in tanking or countering certain units. I guess I was wrong.

Edited by XRay

5 minutes ago, XRay said:

With Arena Assault, I thought people would finally get to use their favorite characters. Even if they are stuck with a Gem Weapon or Triangle Adept build, they are still useful in tanking or countering certain units. I guess I was wrong.

It's luck of the draw if the units you need countering even show up, even if that was satisfying enough.

Also, I don't trust the tactical advice of someone who thinks this is reasonabe advice:

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

What is wrong with Stahl? Just give him Seal Atk Def, and he will basically be Seth but less handsome.

Also, Roy count: 0.

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

Since you have tons of the same character, why not build multiple Catrias?

Because someone else does the exact same thing better for each of those builds.

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

and neutral vanilla 3*, 4*, & 5* for Grand Hero Battles.

Not necessary because Peri can solo most of them.

2 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Also, I don't trust the tactical advice of someone who thinks this is reasonabe advice:

There is nothing wrong with giving Seth an Awakening skin. Seth is smoking hot and his voice is divine. Stahl is less so, but you can marry him. By giving Stahl Seal Atk Def, you are sort of marrying Seth too.

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Because someone else does the exact same thing better for each of those builds.

But what if you need more of those builds?

1 minute ago, XRay said:

There is nothing wrong with giving Seth an Awakening skin. Seth is smoking hot and his voice is divine. Stahl is less so, but you can marry him. By giving Stahl Seal Atk Def, you are sort of marrying Seth too.

Not even touching the Awakening vs Magvel thing, and instead pointing again at the idea of 'just give Stahl this random 5* locked skill'. At least it's on a 4-5* unit, but still.

1 minute ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

"most"?

Since I started the series, I've done

• BHB Lilina and Cecilia
  • GHB Valter
  • BHB Eirika and Ephraim
  • BHB Ninian and Hawkeye
  • BHB Minerva and Maria
  • GHB Arvis

with only Peri and three dancers. Starting with BHB Ninian and Hawkeye, the dancers have been weaponless.

I skipped the GHB reruns because they don't leave much room for maneuvering and because Peri solos don't count for the quests because none of Peri or my three dancers is Anna, Alfonse, Sharena, or the GHB character who needs to kill the boss.

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

But what if you need more of those builds?

I won't. The number of red units at 744 points is almost zero. It's all Draug anyways, and I have lots of things that can kill Draug more efficiently than Catria can.

2 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Not even touching the Awakening vs Magvel thing, and instead pointing again at the idea of 'just give Stahl this random 5* locked skill'. At least it's on a 4-5* unit, but still.

He meant "Stahl and Seth are basically the same unit if you give them the same skills".

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

I was lucky enough to be blessed with a -Spd Lyn.  She runs into some serious doubling issues.  I am thankful for Brash Assault!

With the new Brash Assault seal, now you can run Desperation, Brash Assault and Wrath on Lyn!

Wrath Machine broke.

Oh....

1 hour ago, XRay said:

You can never have enough Reinhardt tank and counters in my opinion.

Even then, Titania is still lackluster. Maybe she would be a good Reinhardt counter, but she would need Distant Counter to actually be useful imo, and i would have to pull two Hectors to even think about that (one Hector for me and one to use as fodder).

Besides, I already have Michalis as my Rein counter and i hear Fae makes a really good counter as well, so i'm currently in the process of training her up.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Even then, Titania is still lackluster. Maybe she would be a good Reinhardt counter, but she would need Distant Counter to actually be useful imo, and i would have to pull two Hectors to even think about that (one Hector for me and one to use as fodder).

Besides, I already have Michalis as my Rein counter and i hear Fae makes a really good counter as well, so i'm currently in the process of training her up.

I mostly use Titania in AA against Ninian and Nowi when they show up. She doesn't even need anything done to her. It's a small niche, but one that needed filling for me.

Artwise:

The two units I just can't use without skipping the art frantically are Lloyd and Lachesis.

Lloyd is just heart-breaking. He was so pretty. Why did they do that to him? v.v

Lachesis... She does not look like Lachesis. She's overly chibified and young looking, and her staff art makes me wince with those skew-whiff legs. I really hate it. I do actually use her, but only on maps where I've turned off the artwork (like Camilla's Warriors map).

I suppose I'll also mention Catria and Amelia. I try to avoid using them because of their art. Catria's not so bad - it's only her normal art I dislike. Amelia... It's her damaged art. I just really dislike it, to the point where I don't plan to use her very much, if at all, if I ever do pull her.

Utility-Wise:

The only unit I've really struggled with has been Mathilda. I know she can become an okay unit, but a sneeze knocks her out, even from sword units. I've seen some builds that save her but they are cost heavy, so it will take me a while to invest into her. I like her character and art, though, so I might do in the distant future.

Gameplay

Henry, I trained my best 4* to level 40 but he still hits like wet paper towels.  I used him a lot in Awakening so seeing him like that in Heroes makes me sad.

Seth, one of my top 10 favorite FE characters and while I use him he is so outclassed by other horse units that I have I only use him in AA.

Art

Lloyd what did they do to you?  I loved Lloyd's art in FE7 and to see him in heroes is so sad.

Cordelia I love her Awakening art, but her Heroes art just doesn't work for her.  They muted her colors and she is supposed to be bright.

Art-wise:

Eliwood:
Probably the lynchpin of wrong treatment in this game. One of the worst artworks in the game keeps me from using him. As a cavalier he is definetly not bad though he is outclassed by his son.

Mae:
Not one of the worst arts but I don't think it gives her justice. She would be a decent blue mage to use despite having rather low Spd.

Lloyd:
He met a terrible fate. His kit is pretty interesting but no, I cannot look him into the eye.

Stats-wise:

Seth:
Being the god of SS I expected better. There was a distinct lack of offensive-oriented cavaliers and he could have filled that void. Even now I find it puzzling why he is Def-oriented in a sea of other similar units.
It won't stop me from using him but it leaves a bad aftertaste that there are way better red riders out there.

Edited by Talandar

My biggest problem here is what I want to play in Arena and I can't.
I would like to play different units and not play too much with generals so I can stay in Tier 20.

If I could I would make more use of my Cherche or Frederick in the Arena. Especially now where I have something nice with Brash Assault Seal.

I also would like to build Fir, with Distant Counter and make use of her nice res now that Def Ploy is available. But I don't have enough feathers.

Honestly I don't care if someone says to me this is a bad unit. The same is with a friend of mine who uses Hinata. Countless players tell him how bad Hinata is, but I have more respect for players who invest more into their loved characters and still win as players who go Reinhardt all the way. Of course I should reconsider what the game gives these players.

So the only thing that keeps me from using some characters is the point system of the arena and that I remain a f2p player.
In Arena assault I make even use of Serena who has luckily good boon/bane.

Henry and Odin, mainly. I think I've done a pretty good job with Henry (as good as I can without having close counter RIP), between the Fortress Def + Poison Strike + Savage Blow build and general QR Raven builds he does pretty all right actually...?? But definitely not great. And Odin, yeah nuff said. 

I'd love to be able to use Cherche better but alas I'm horribly strapped for death blow fodder. Got my extra Ursulas, but strapped for feathers as well blegh.

Fir is one whose art and character I like, and I still plan to build, but she seems pretty bad regardless even with the Wo Dao build. I'll give it a shot eventually when I have the feathers anyway, though. 

Not units I use per se, but it's disappointing how pretty bad Roy and Jaffar are compared to how I feel like they should be... by rights, they should be way more powerful but are just kinda lackluster RIP. 

12 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

His face is     s  o     w  i  d  e.

I use him anyways since it's mostly fine in his attacking art. But he usually ends up just being a buff bot and Reposition bot for Eliwood.

Yes! Wide, that’s a good way to discribe it. 

I occasionally throw him at greens in AA but that’s the most use he gets anymore. Poor guy doesn’t even have Vantage3. 

Unit-

Odin - Poor Odin. I really want to make you useable. I will 5 star you one day....just after some needed promotions first.

Lon'qu- My other favourite unit. He has speed....but needs more Attack. Lucky enough to get a +Atk one but better sword units means his promotion keeps getting delayed. Also slight art reasons (mostly his neck when attacking) make me not like using him- but I guess his damaged art makes up for it.

Henry- Pretty cool to be a defensive Anti-colourless but he's just so weak and slow. Also his English VA is just so squeaky.

Fir - Okay unit but poor Attack and Lloyd's existence holds her back.

Clair - Like her character but again, poor Attack holds her back. She has a lot of Res and Spd but that's really it. At least Subaki has a Sapphire Lance.

Seliph - Alphonse sees more use because of bonus unit. Seliph doesn't really have anything he can offer.

Navarre - Don't really have reason to use him.

Florina - Poor speed, attack and bad art.

Caeda - Too weak and can't take a physical hit.

Jagen - Too weak physically and meh weapon.

Gunter - Frederick exists. Too bad I want to use him but Frederick I like better as a character too so he's just spare Hone Cav for AA.

Eliwood - Probably because I haven't promoted him but he's physically frail. I don't need a red cavalry yet since Xander exists so he's just sitting in the back.

Art-

Lloyd - I was so hyped when he was announced. Then his art came out. I'll still use him one day but again, the art is making his promotion a bit less urgent.

Laslow - His eyes are too big and are emphasised by his winking face. Also his leg is in a weird position. I mean he's okay as a sword unit but there are other better ones (and many other swords). 

Female Robin - Her face is really off. Eyes too wide apart, big forehead and lips too small. Doesn't help she is overshadowed by other green mages and is only neutral. Default weapon and Definat Res is meh and needs a inheritance to work. Also I like other F!Robin hairstyles more

Summer Robin - Slightly related but I really don't like her face and outfit. It's just very awkward and the face is too moe try hard. I mean not that I have her anyway but if I did I wouldn't really use her.

Cordelia - Same face problem with F!Robin. Which is a shame because she is a good unit.

Est - Reallllly hate her bug-eyed face. Don't really like her personality either (VA herself is good but just don't like that personality). Also mainly because she is an orb waster, too.

Catria - Been getting less and less units partly because of having no real niche and that awkward art. Makes playing in public a bit awkward, too.

Peri - Not the worst art but I really don't like her default stance/art. Also squeaky voice.

Mae - Very poor fitting art, nothing like her great Echoes design. Already have better mages anyway.

Lachesis - Again infamous bad art, but also I have better bulky healers like Azama, Lissa and even Wrys.

Edited by mcsilas

Berkut. I really want to use him, but he's just so... bad. It's really difficult to justify investing resources into him. Sully is in almost the exact same boat, actually.

Also, Mae. It's not as much that she's a bad unit as that I keep getting only instances of her with meh to terrible IV spreads. (+Def/-Spd, for Mila's sake!) Also her art's just. Really, really bad. I mean, I'm gonna use her anyway, but...

Edited by Topaz Light

Utility

Fir- Poor attack stat and I lack the resources to optimize her skillset

Titania- Quite honestly I have no idea how to build her and has been pretty underwhelming from what I've used

Alfonse- He's surprisingly unremarkable in comparison to the other sister and I have plenty of good reds coupled with his poor res and speed leave him on the bench 

Ryoma- Definitely a good unit but he doesn't click with me so more often than not he's left in the barracks

Art

I'm fine with most art in heroes and just enjoy it as a playable anthology of series but I have a few exceptions

Est- The size of her eyes stand out way too much and she's looks even younger than nino

Lachesis- I didn't like her art since she looks like a moe blob and after stumbling upon her cipher art and looking up her character I dislike a lot more 

Innes, you are going to be summoned and you are going to like it (don't have him)

Same to you Eldigan, Sigurd, Deirdre, Olwen and every other character I don't have that I want. 

Stats wise... Sorry Sheena and Lon'qu (especially you Lonk since the one I always ran with and is near and dear to my heart is -atk)

Art...? Aside from Lloyd, Charolette and Arden, no. I can look even bug eyed Eliwood and Athena in the face and use them (their art reminds me of my own in a way.) Especially Eliwood since I pulled a +atk -spd one of him today. I don't care if it was a 3*, that's awesome. He's Red Reinhardt. 

Felicia, your Res is pretty amazing but you just can't deal any DAMAGE. Aside from using Iceberg/Glacies (and I actually managed to take out an Effie this way), she can't deal damage at all. It's sad, even if she's one of my Fates!waifus.

Alfonse...there's just something about putting Defiant skills on a weapon that turns me off. Perhaps if they put Defiant Spd 2 on a weapon I'd be glad to use that, but having to go below 50% when I could just Rally Attack (or Blaze Dance) him for almost the same effect? It doesn't even stack with Defiant Atk 3...its reliability makes it worse than a toothpick. I understand that it essentially transforms into a 21-Might weapon when in Defiant range (lol) and that he's literally given to you at the start of the game, but the novelty starts to wear off when you realize Lyn and Elincia are sooooo much better.

On the other side of the Atk value spectrum...units like Odin are just impossible for me to want to use aside from using them as inheritance fodder. Their Atk is so low that training them up is mind-numbing at best and string-tugging at worst.

Edited by MilodicMellodi

Lloyd sadly falls into both categories for me. Before I had amazing sword units, I repeatedly considered using feathers on him, only to pass him up purely because he looks like a meth dealer/user. And now his chances have dried up since BRoy showed up and my other sword infantry units have been stacked up with SI.

No other units truly come to mind. I actually use lots of staff-users despite it maybe being stupid, but I still see success on TTs ect.