Shin Megami Tensei V Revealed

Von Ithipathachai

So.  Atlus finally revealed Shin Megami Tensei V today.

Alas, it was just another freaking teaser.  Aside from what the new Hero and Heroine of the game look like (and that's being rather generous), we still have nothing really substantial.  I hope someone can get ahold of this new trailer and translate it at the very least.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

Getting some Nocturne vibes from the teaser. From a normal world to being destroyed. What I want to know is what tore through the demons in the tunnel with magatsuhi coming out of them. Wondering who is doing at artwork this time?

Edited by Jingle Jangle

6 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Getting some Nocturne vibes from the teaser.  From a normal world to being destroyed.  What I want to know is what tore through the demons in the tunnel with Magatsuhi coming out of them.

Now that I think about it, it does look really similar to Nocturne.  Perhaps this game is going to take place in the Vortex World as well?

1 minute ago, familyplayer said:

I always forget how gigantic demons really are. Then I see them in the trailers alongside humans and remember why they would be so terrifying.

That depends entirely on the demon.  You can't really go around lumping tiny Pixies and Jack Frosts with big Oni and Titans.

It looks so beautiful and awesome! This is definitely going to be my first SMT so I hope it comes soon like 3rd or 4th quarter 2018. (With how it looks currently, I'd expect early 2019 for here in the US.)

The music gave me chills too. Hopefully the special edition will come with an OST.

Edited by Captain Vulgar

I noticed some people elsewhere are annoyed its only on the Switch as of right now, but they seem to forget that besides Nocturne the mainline SMT series has only been on Nintendo consoles.

53 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I noticed some people elsewhere are annoyed its only on the Switch as of right now, but they seem to forget that besides Nocturne the mainline SMT series has only been on Nintendo consoles.

A lot of the earlier games got ported to other systems like the PS1, but they were Nintendo games first and foremost.

7 hours ago, Slumber said:

I hope it's more Nocturne than 4.

Really loved Nocturne. 4 just felt like it was missing something. 

Nocturne surprisingly held up to the test of time when I played it long after its original release on a PS3. Just make demon leveling a little faster, cut down on their movepool or make it so I can see what they'll learn on leveling up- that blindness was a gripe of mine.

Make the characters a little less flat, don't repeat the subway tunnels 3 times, don't do the Rider who spawns near Terminals, don't repeat the moving block puzzle you have to solve every level of in one sitting, and don't feature that stereotypically gay Manikin again. Those are my other nitpicks.

7 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Now that I think about it, it does look really similar to Nocturne.  Perhaps this game is going to take place in the Vortex World as well?

Please not the same Vortex World as the Demi-Fiend. The process of Conception-Vortex-Reason Rebirth is said to happen in countless worlds. Plus, if it happens alongside DF, whatever happens would need a good explanation for not being meaningless since barring Pathetic Demon Ending, the DF undoes the Vortex World.

59 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Well there is IMAGINE and NINE, and Atlus didn't oppose putting spinoffs (like the entire Persona family) and remakes on other systems.

I'd guess the shift to the PS2 for Nocturne was player base (the PS2 by virtue of the PS1 had an innate RPG crowd- the GC did not b/c the 64 had ONLY Q64, PM, and Ogre Battle 64) and cost of development. Since the DS established itself a solid RPG console, and that it was cheap for the budget conscious Atlus, they moved on to that. And then from there, the 3DS. The Switch is likewise cheaper to make games for than the PS4 I'd think, and Atlus will only give Persona the super budget based on sales I guess.

Here is hoping to a good SMTV. I should have plenty of time to finish SJ and RK1, start and finish Apo and DDS2.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

57 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

A lot of the earlier games got ported to other systems like the PS1, but they were Nintendo games first and foremost.

Yeah fair, and the Sega CD even got a revamp of SMT1 haha. (Had a really cool design of Pascal Cerberus too).

http://gematsu.com/2017/10/shin-megami-tensei-v-will-game-sympathizes-times

According to the article the game feels like a darker take on Japan compared to  Persona 5. Of course that will be expected, Persona being a lighter spin-off and all. Wonder ehat the "miracle of God" means, I guess we have to play to find out.

As a casual Persona fan who only knows a little bit about the main series, Shin Megami Tensei always looks so weird to me. It always seems to boil down to god being pissed and Tokyo destroyed. What do the many gods have against Tokyo, anyway?

Hopefully, it won't have a shaddy writing like 4 and Apocalypse that fall on it's face with it's story and theme. Like, this is SMT, not Persona, and certainly not a stupid anime.
...I said that, but thank goodness, they let us choose Massacre/Anarchy ending. Not many game would be so kind or ballsy to let us choose between the stupid weaboo ending or this is the real shit ending.

50 minutes ago, Thane said:

As a casual Persona fan who only knows a little bit about the main series, Shin Megami Tensei always looks so weird to me. It always seems to boil down to god being pissed and Tokyo destroyed. What do the many gods have against Tokyo, anyway?

Haven't you heard ? Tokyo is the center of the world, the universe even ! For all japanese things. :p
You know, at first SMT was more of a deconstruction of pokemon (before pokemon funnily enough) then a Cyber-Punk universe (I'm not kidding, that bad pretty cool), then all of this was tonned down for the Gods, Demons, Ideals, humanity we have now.

Casual... Persona... hiiiiiiisssssss...
Eh, just kiding, now that I have a PS4, I'm gonna buy P5, even though I know the plot ride won't be pleasant.
... What ? I though I could never play it ! Of course I'm going to look at all the spoil in the world ! I'm going to do the same with SMT5 since I'll never havec a Switch !

1 hour ago, Thane said:

SMT is usually about the War of ideals of Law, Usually those focused on bringing the millennial reign or a very strict lawful world from a crazed YHWH, since SMT4 its been theorized that the actual God of the universe's angels are acting against the usual flow of order, but then again it could just be Japan interpreting some of the harsher aspects of the Old Testament into just being entirely what God is, although a Christian myself I find it to be an interesting what if of my faith lol.

And Chaos which is focused on being free and wild, while their only rule is that the strong survive and lead. 

The MC usually falls in the inbetween unless they decide to follow one of the 2 extremes, but some games like Nocturne and the Devil Survivor games made the lines less clear, and gave everything more greyness, the canonical ending of most of the games is the Neutral route, which is usually the hardest route to unlock. 

SMT1 was originally going to be a world wide trip of sorts ending in Israel, but they decided to keep focusing on Tokyo. There are alot of religious and mythological themes, present and they pretty much get mashed into a blender. 

SMT games tend to focus on the main character (usually a silent protagonist who can make choices), and the ideals they get presented by other characters, usually you have a Law Hero, a Chaos Hero and a Heroine, who all travel together until their ideals break them apart and you & the Heroine follow what your characters path is (although sometimes the Heroine is locked to neutral and you face off with her too). The end result is usually death for most of the named main cast, SMT games are really dark, and focus more on the atmosphere and ideals, while Persona is more about its characters interacting off each other and whatever the threat is.

The Persona series was actually made from a certain spinoff of SMT1 called SMT:IF which was a what if story on if the nukes of the world didn't fall and the demon presence was more contained into the summoning program & something called the Guardian system which would later become the basis of the Persona system. It's main character would cameo in Persona 1 & 2. SMT:IF's school based setting was really well received and is why the Persona series usually sticks to a school based formula.

Edited by Jedi

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

It's main character would cameo in Persona 1 & 2. SMT:IF's school based setting was really well received and is why the Persona series usually sticks to a school based formula.

Funny, that's one of my complaints with the series. How many washed up student best friends and student council presidents do a series need?

Anyway, I was mostly poking fun at how everything seems to happen in Tokyo and how there always seems to be some kind of god(s) to defeat. It feels very...Japanese (well, like their entertainment industry at any rate). But thanks for the explanation!

38 minutes ago, Thane said:

Funny, that's one of my complaints with the series. How many washed up student best friends and student council presidents do a series need?

Anyway, I was mostly poking fun at how everything seems to happen in Tokyo and how there always seems to be some kind of god(s) to defeat. It feels very...Japanese (well, like their entertainment industry at any rate). But thanks for the explanation!

That is one of the reason I enjoy Strange Journey so much. Due to it having an international team in the arctic rather than being set in Japan, with  them responding to a crisis affecting the world. With the cast being made of adults (except for the remake, coming out.

3 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

That is one of the reason I enjoy Strange Journey so much. Due to it having an international team in the arctic rather than being set in Japan, with  them responding to a crisis affecting the world. With the cast being made of adults (except for the remake, coming out.

Yeah the remake honestly looks pretty disappointing right now.

50 minutes ago, Thane said:

I figured you were, I just love giving tons of information on things I like haha.

4 hours ago, Magical CC said:

And it will be on steam (hoping).

it's a switch exclusive, and if it going anywhere else, it's to the PS4. I don't think Atlus has ever released one of their "big games" on steam.