FE8 Grinding help

Hey guys I know this might not be too popular since in my experience most people don't like grind playthroughs. I intend to tower abuse, arena abuse, whatever. A shitload. "Hard" difficulty.

Obviously I intend to use characters like Amelia, Ewan, and Ross, since they are the kind of characters that thrive when you invest a lot into them. What other characters fit that description?

Also, what is the best way to grind in this game? From what I've read arena seems to be quicker but less safe than the tower. Thanks for any help guys!

Towerwise, I usually have a certain character let's say Amelia solo the tower until she's at a level I want. Now first of all usually I'm able to get Amelia into an actual class line by the end of the chapter that she joins on so she's in cavalier at this point. What I like to do is I'll bring everyone but I'll send my focus unit in this case Amelia into the thick of things usually have her stand on a tower or something and kill everything or at least as many as possible. Then leave the tower, rinse and repeat or continue up the tower until this can't be done. I still bring everyone else just in case Amelia or my focus unit needs healing or protecting.

As for other characters that thrive with investment Marissa might fit that description though I prefer Joshua or Gerick, Franz may be another character that fits your description as well though like with Marissa I prefer Seth, Forde and Duessel (Respect this man's beard).

And don't worry about what other people say or think about grinding, if that's how you enjoy playing then play that way. Besides it's nice to take full advantage of all your resources (arenas, tower, etc.) 

The tower grind is fastest if you just retreat after doing the first floor rather than doing the later maps. Grinding the tower conventionally would be slower than arena due to how mazy the higher floors are. 

This does  prevents you from selling off the stuff in the chests, but it takes forever to run out of money for irons anyway.

FE8 doesn't really have characters with amazingly high average stats - even the trainees don't significantly outperform their competition outside of their sky-high Luck stat. Marisa, for example, is probably even worse than Joshua at equal levels, given that her strength is worse than his by two points at 20/1.

The only exception I can think of would be L'Arachel, who clearly outperforms Valkyrie!Natasha, MK!Lute or MK!Ewan in terms of averages, making her the best mounted magic user in a grinding game. To level her up, just buy a bunch of torch staves and go into map encounters - iirc, they have Fog of War more often than not.

Oof, FE7 is probably the GBA title that I've played the least... I can't remember if there's an arena after Nino joins, but iirc her average stats are the highest in the game at a given level. I don't think Farina's stats are higher in total than her sisters', but they're distributed quite nicely, with more Str and Def than Florina and Fiora. She's only available on Hector mode, though. Raven is another character with a low base level and good averages, especially if you're playing on Hector Hard mode.

There's no proper arena after Nino joins. While there technically is one in Chapter 29Ex/31Hx, you only have five turns to use it. Best place to train her is the gaiden chapter immediately following her join time or during Cog of Destiny. Also, give her the Afa's Drops. 

In FE8, virtually everyone is at least somewhat viable. Use Amelia at your discretion, though - I've seldom had her turn out decently.

• 3 weeks later...

Amelia just isn't worth it, Ewan can become a dark god of destruction -- if you want to completely halt any story progress to tower grind him. Ross is the only trainee that can reasonably be used with success. IMO the only time to use Amelia is if you somehow got Franz (Better Seth) killed.