PSA: The sequel probably won’t represent every game.

Dragonage2ftw

23 hours ago, dmurr said:

Seems to be pretty popular opinion that we'll get FE Switch represented in Fire Emblem Warriors 2, but it's not really as logical as people think.  I can imagine they're waiting for the response to the DLC before officially greenlighting the sequel, but even if they already have, development likely won't start until after March when the last DLC pack is released.  I doubt we'll see FE Switch released anytime prior to Q3/Q4 2018, and a FEW2 would likely come out Q1/Q2 2019. This isn't super far off from the overlap in dev time that Shadows of Valentia and FE Warriors had, and all we got from that game is Celica. Even her corresponding history map and the music remix is from Gaiden, not Echoes. 

Also, I don't think we'll see Binding Blade, or any Japan-only release, as a focus title anytime soon. New Mystery of the Emblem features Marth too, and we could've gotten that as a featured title, but we didn't. They based on Shadow Dragon, and I think it's a safe assumption that's because it saw an international release. Roy is an oddball character who has popularity because of Smash Bros., so I'm not positive we'd get anyone further from his game, sans maybe Lillina or Zephiel. I'll admit Heroes has shaken up the whole international character popularity and exposure, though, but Intelligent Systems knows what the most popular games and characters are. Blazing Blade is almost a guarantee given it's international popularity and notability being the first internationally released game.

They also don't have to focus on three new or separate games.. HW Legends added Skull Kid from Majora's Mask which was already represented in DLC. Don't be surprised when we see Severa or Inigo (especially with Olivia's inclusion now) or the trio's Fates counterparts or Felicia, Kaze or Jacob (or even Gaius) with the added weapon type not in this game. Characters aren't the only thing they'll expand on, of course.

The devs specifically stated that Roy and Ike were being saved for a sequel, so I think that Elibe and Tellius have to be a lock. And by mentioning those universes, I do mean a mix of both Binding/Blazing and PoR/RD. FE Switch will also have to be featured, as the mainline FE launches next year and I expect FEW 2 to be either released late into the Switch life span or even next generation. And we may get one throwaway character each from Judgral and Magvel, similar to Lyn and Celica. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Dandee Leone said:

The devs specifically stated that Roy and Ike were being saved for a sequel, so I think that Elibe and Tellius have to be a lock. And by mentioning those universes, I do mean a mix of both Binding/Blazing and PoR/RD. FE Switch will also have to be featured, as the mainline FE launches next year and I expect FEW 2 to be either released late into the Switch life span or even next generation. And we may get one throwaway character each from Judgral and Magvel, similar to Lyn and Celica. 

Unless the Switch is going to have a shorter lifespan than the Wii U, I don't think there's any way that a sequel to this game will come out the end of it, let alone on the next generation. Sales-wise, they're only going to see diminishing returns on it, and I'm doubtful we'd get more than one sequel unless it does really unexpectedly well. They'll ride off of whatever success this one has because they'll have considerably less to build -- there'd be more fine tuning and feature adding than actual engine development. The new things would be mostly content, not gameplay mechanics, which has a faster turn around rate. That said, unless the new mainline FE drops sometime Q1/Q2 when DLC is completed, I think it's fairly implausible that we'll see a significant amount of content from it. I could be completely wrong, as I'm unaware the size of the staffing at Intelligent Systems, but I suspect that a majority of the development team moved from Echoes to the new Switch title once sometime March/April of this year when work on that game was mostly completed. Echoes had a little under a two-year development cycle, and that's for a game that's a remake and reuses the engine two previous games made and refined over the 3DS's lifetime. Nothing but planned release of 2018 is given about FE Switch yet, and while it can reuse significant portions of that same game engine, it will also need to be ported and adjusted design-wise for an entirely different device, in addition to the updating to HD graphics, etc. I truly doubt we'll see the JP release of FE Switch any earlier than Q3 2018, which is a smaller turn around than Echoes, which they considered quick. Q1/Q2 is only a year or so of development time. I could be completely wrong though, perhaps they increased staffing or hired new engineers/developers to work on this game during Echoes dev cycle.

Anyway, in short, I'd be surprised if FE Switch was coming anytime soon, or that a Warriors sequel would release a large amount of time after it's release. Given the similar overlap in development time Echoes had with Warriors and the content that game got in Warriors, I think it's pretty unlikely we'd get FE Switch as a full featured game.

Agreed Elibe/Tellius are a lock, which characters is up in the air.

Edited by dmurr

The Elibe/Tellius characters will depend a lot on a few factors.

1- Which people from FeSwitch are needed or wanted for the sequel.

2- If any characters from Elibe/Tellius make it into FEW1's rumored "fan-oriented season 2 " (I think Hector has amazing chances here)

3- How much work is going to be put into decloning our current 8 clones, and most likely endgame 11 clones (the 3 male ally NPCs).

4- How much they need/are willing to clone characters between the new casts. (An easy example here would be Sothe/Jaffar)

5-How many slots might be used to get people from the past focus games (I'm mainly looking at Jakob here)

6-How many of the people in "5" can be cloned (Merric-Soren, Gaius-Sothe/Jaffar, etc)

7-How many class gaps still need to be filled after all of this.

Personally, I'm assuming Tellius and Elibe will have close to the same endgame weight as Fates and Awakening will have post DLC.