Canon Couples

I really like the fact that there are clear canon couples. I think it cuts down on ship wars in the fandom. Also, having a set of canon pairs instead of several possible pairings allows the writers to focus on the chemistry between specific characters instead of trying to make every pairing plausible. I'd much rather have a handful of good couples than a bunch of so-so pairings.

What do you guys think? Should they give us more freedom to pair off whatever couples we find cute or do you prefer the focus on specific pairings? Is there some sort of middle ground that you like better? Also, was there a pairing you would have preferred over one of the canon ones?

Edited by Dracologist

I think I prefer having established couples. 

Having already happily married couples like Pent and Louise, or Clive and Matilda helps bring variate in the way units behave towards each other.  I also think established couples help in bringing variety to the character designs too. The reason for the vast majority of the newer characters being in their teens or very early twenties is likely because they need to be conventionally attractive in order to pair them up. This leaves less room for old folks like Tauroneo and Niime. Its unlikely to be a coincidence that almost all the old folk are deprived of support in the newer games. It can't lead to pairings(or gets creepy if it does) so why bother? That the games don't have a Lorenz either also isn't a coincidence. Old people just don't fit the new style. 

When pairings don't have to be involved there is more room for old people or battle veterans covered from head to toe in battle scars. 

I really like cannon couples and I am not overly fond of pairing couples just for kids like Awakening and Fates.  I like supports, but my favorites are the friend ones where the units form a comrade at arms relationship, but there is no romance involved.  Like Nowi and Tharja's support chain in Awakening. 

I like either kind, but I would like if there are some established couples. The thing about being able to pair characters we like is the case where we can see a much wider variety of conversations and the possibility of seeing some chemistry between them. And in the case of having established couples, it at the very least prevents fans from arguing which pairing is canon. Particularly with the Avatar's ability to pair with anyone.

I much prefer the canon couples. They don't stop the people for whom freedom of choice is aimed at, and they allow for more human moments between units that would have no relationship in free choice.

I mean, we get Lucina on about her father all the time, but we have next to nothing on her mother because she has five of them, and only the original Awakening has the 'licence' to pick one/just use all five.

Canon couples develop a lot more naturally than "Marry anyone", so that helps. Admittedly, I haven't been a fan of "Anyone can marry anyone" since FE4.

I wasn't big on Clive as a unit, but I really liked his and Mathilda's relationship, as sickly saccharine as it could be at times.

Gray/Claire was another one. While that one wasn't quite as believable, it did lend to great moments between Gray and Tobin(Their last support is one of the best friend supports in the series).

Edited by Slumber

I would certainly like having canon couples back.

Although I didn't minded the limited options way the GBA games had (in addition of non-romantic paired endings). Either of the those two. Or doing both at the same time, like how Blazing Blade had PentxLouise as set, and the rest could still pair up with limited options.

5 hours ago, Slumber said:

Canon couples develop a lot more naturally than "Marry anyone", so that helps. Admittedly, I haven't been a fan of "Anyone can marry anyone" since FE4.

Speaking of which, I would prefer if any S-Support conversation doesn't end in marriage. Confession of love only and not have a label saying "Married" or such.

I very much like seeing established couples in Fire Emblem. I especially like when they are already a couple when they appear in the game. As much as I disliked Clive in Part 3 for both his decisions and him not being a good unit, his relationship with Mathilda was quite good.

8 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I would certainly like having canon couples back.

Although I didn't minded the limited options way the GBA games had (in addition of non-romantic paired endings). Either of the those two. Or doing both at the same time, like how Blazing Blade had PentxLouise as set, and the rest could still pair up with limited options.

This sounds like a good idea. I admittedly have never played the GBA games, but having both established couples and couples you can choose based on supports would be good. 

3 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Speaking of which, I would prefer if any S-Support conversation doesn't end in marriage. Confession of love only and not have a label saying "Married" or such.

That also sounds like a good idea; having a more natural progression than 3 friendly conversations, followed by proposal.

Didn't the Robin x Lucina S-Support conversation in Awakening end in a love confession rather than marriage? I think there might have been a few others that also didn't jump from three friendly conversations to "Is that a ring?"