Worst Fire Emblem Lord?

Zepler

So I've been wondering lately, especially with the looming war between the 'Old' and the 'New' and Fire Emblem Warriors, what you guys think is the worst Lord in the series? I'm really curious of opinion, because I honestly love both Old and New games.

So I would like your worst Lord, and why you think that he/she is at your bottom list. It could be unit wise, like stats, or character wise, like in-game story or supports, or you hate the design. (You can even throw in Heroes Gauntlet responses too, I don't mind.)

Thank you guys, and hope to see some neat opinions! 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been one to care a whole lot about Fire Emblem characters as anything more than units.  So I'm gonna have to go with Eliwood.

Roy and Eliwood both have pretty similar stats, but at least Roy gets access to the incredibly broken Binding Blade to patch up his combat deficiencies.  Eliwood does not even have that.  Sure, he gets a mount, but what exactly does he have over better mounted units like Kent and Sain?

Micaiah, from a story and gameplay aspect. In the story of RD the only time when she really is the main character for the first act. Afterwards she becomes a side character for majority of the game. Even worse, Yune fully replaces her by the end, she didn't stop Ashunera, Ike and Yune did. Just her being branded is weird, somehow she inherits the brand form hundreds of years of being a decent of Altina, whic  adds more questions.like why Sanaki isn't branded? In gameplay she a slow powerhouse in a game where magic is ineffective compared to other titles in the series. Playable in most levels where the Dawn Brigade struggle without the assists of guest characters.

7 minutes ago, Hardin said:

I would have to give it to Sigurd. I like Sigurd, but getting your entire army wiped out is its own class of terrible. 

This. Like, Roy might suck, but at least that's just him.

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Corrin. Awkward haircut, awkward voice, and indecisive as all hell. His only redeeming quality is his critical animation and stats.

Hey, I love her hair.

It's a competition between Corrin, for being a Mary Sue who gets coddled and doesn't develop out of their flaws, and FE10 Ike, who's a one man spotlight stealing squad who doesn't do anything particularly interesting with that spotlight, when there are far more interesting characters who can make use of it.

And Robin if he counts for usurping Chrom and making the world revolve around him in the last 1/3 of the game.

Micaiah. She's horrendously slow, is less durable than a soggy paper bag, and promotes to her final class far too late in the game.

Also, this should probably be in General FE.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Lords that I don't think are all that great are Roy and Corrin. I'm convinced people only like Roy for being playable in Smash and having Jun Fukuyama voicing him, while Corrin is a Mary Sue who never grows as a character in all 3 stories while eating up all the focus that could have gone to the other siblings.

Sigurd. Props to him for having the most flaws out of any Lord but he has like, the most forgettable personality. Was honestly pretty glad when got BBQ'd.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

Like, Roy might suck, but at least that's just him.

Adding to this, Roy was always more of a brains over brawn-type guy so him not being that great as a unit actually made sense.

Also, yeah this should've gone in the General Fire Emblem section.

2 hours ago, Hardin said:

I would have to give it to Sigurd. I like Sigurd, but getting your entire army wiped out is its own class of terrible. 

This, I love his Heroes design but after reading the story line of FE 4 and seeing his lines in Heroes he comes across as someone who should not have been in command of an army.

Corrin is second on my list for the reasons others above have stated. 

Edited by EricaofRenais

There are three lords that I dislike quite a bit and they are Micaiah, Corrin, Chrom.

1) Micaiah. My biggest gripe with Micaiah is how bad of a unit she is, had she been given better speed and hp I probably would enjoy her more. On top of that she has no business leading the DB, advising and counseling yes but not leading. That job should be delegated to Nolan, and while we have had inexperienced characters before in roles of leadership I find Micaiah's the least convincing. In the case of Marth, Roy and Eliwood they are all royalty so even though Jaigen and Marcus are more qualified they do have to bow to their lord's wishes. In the case of Ike he is the son of Greil so he would have probably inherited leadership of the Greil Mercenaries anyway at some point regardless of Greil dying. Micaiah on the other hand the sole reason that she is leading the DB seems to be because of her unnatural abilities specifically her foresight which is a foolish reason to place the future of your company in. Again her being an important advisor would have made a lot more sense.

2) Corrin. As a unit Corrin will inevitably be a good unit so my dislike for Corrin has nothing to do with how good or bad of a unit he is. Ultimately it comes down to him being an Avatar but is an avatar in name only. In that if he/she's going to be an avatar there should be multiple occasions where the player makes a choice (Awakening actually did this a little better) furthermore Corrin a player representative character should not be making decisions for the player, rather the player should be making decisions for Corrin. Any bad decisions that Corrin makes as an Avatar should all be the result of the player's choices. Instead there are times where Corrin makes a decision for the player and often times this is a decision that no player would have made if they were in control of Corrin's actions. Finally another issue I have with Corrin is that he has no business leading the troops, once Xander or Ryoma join the team, they should be the "lord" of the game, they should not be taking orders from their YOUNGER almost youngest brother. Corrin has no tactical training or experience leading troops he has no business leading and it doesn't make sense for him to still be in charge when Xander and/or Ryoma join.

3) Chrom. A lot of my dislike for Chrom is that he is an AllRight unit but he acts like he thinks he's either Sigurd, Hector or Ike which he isn't. As a unit he gets outclassed by most other members of the Shepherds. As a character he has horrible leadership skills no wonder Fredrick is always advising caution to Chrom, who should definitely listen to Fredrick more. Now on the one hand Chrom is royalty so Fredrick is required to listen to Chrom, on the other hand Chrom's leadership and decision making skills are lousy and therefore Fredrick should be the one in charge. Largely my dislike for Chrom is a result of Chrom thinking he's Sigurd Hector or Ike and yet is only an average unit, based off of his design and how he was being written I was expecting Chrom to function like Ike and I was very disappointed with what I got.

8 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

This, I love his Heroes design but after reading the story line of FE 4 and seeing his lines in Heroes he comes across as someone who should not have been in command of an army.

He was competent enough to eradicate Verdane and Agustria with a small army that was hamstrung by the fact most of Grannvale's resources were in Issach. Sigurd is a loyal warrior at heart, he just lacks an awareness of politics. Unlike Arvis, in tune with politics, but doesn't care to fight.

3 minutes ago, SavageVolug said:

1) Micaiah. My biggest gripe with Micaiah is how bad of a unit she is, had she been given better speed and hp I probably would enjoy her more. On top of that she has no business leading the DB, advising and counseling yes but not leading. That job should be delegated to Nolan, and while we have had inexperienced characters before in roles of leadership I find Micaiah's the least convincing. In the case of Marth, Roy and Eliwood they are all royalty so even though Jaigen and Marcus are more qualified they do have to bow to their lord's wishes. In the case of Ike he is the son of Greil so he would have probably inherited leadership of the Greil Mercenaries anyway at some point regardless of Greil dying. Micaiah on the other hand the sole reason that she is leading the DB seems to be because of her unnatural abilities specifically her foresight which is a foolish reason to place the future of your company in. Again her being an important advisor would have made a lot more sense.

It was only the DB she led, five people at the start. When she becomes leader of the Daein Liberation Army, Pelleas and Izuka are her superiors, and Tauroneo offers plenty of professional military officer leadership to help her out.

Corrin is outright bad. Chrom is too moved by his heart. Eirika too naive. Ike is flat in personality. Ephraim I'm starting to see is way too perfect despite some clear stupidity on his part (he wanted to march on to Grado Keep with 4 visible units including himself- not more than two-three hundred factoring in invisibles I think). Lyn is a tutorial bot and nothing more. So far, Hector has retained his sacredness with me, but who knows if that'll last? The rest I'll just say ambivalence to for now.

I'd choose Corrin without thinking twice, honestly, for flaws others already pointed out.

However, my second pick would be... Marth. I really like Marth, but his writing is all over the place. I adore his writing in Shadow Dragon as the heroic prince carrying an enormous burden and learning the cruelties of war, but still a capable man who's fighting to end said war. But then New Mystery of the Emblem happens, which is an overall great game, but it turns Marth into a naive prince, as if his development from Shadow Dragon didn't happen at all.

I'm not sure if this is the result of translation issues, since NMotE was translated by fans, but the inconsistency of Marth's personality in between these two games bothers me a lot.

I'm also not very fond of Post-Act IV Celica in SoV, for obvious reasons.

55 minutes ago, sleeplesskar said:

I'd choose Corrin without thinking twice, honestly, for flaws others already pointed out.

However, my second pick would be... Marth. I really like Marth, but his writing is all over the place. I adore his writing in Shadow Dragon as the heroic prince carrying an enormous burden and learning the cruelties of war, but still a capable man who's fighting to end said war. But then New Mystery of the Emblem happens, which is an overall great game, but it turns Marth into a naive prince, as if his development from Shadow Dragon didn't happen at all.

I'm not sure if this is the result of translation issues, since NMotE was translated by fans, but the inconsistency of Marth's personality in between these two games bothers me a lot.

i think it's actually less of a translation issue and more just them being less willing to change things for new mystery

in the original versions of fe3, marth didn't have much character in either book, but he was more on the naive side in general, particularly in book 2

there was also no prologue and thus no sacrifice, which is obviously meant to be a big turning point for him

shadow dragon changes it up in a way I really liked, but new mystery seems to prioritize being true to the original in that regard over being consistent with the previous game, which led to marth going back to being more naive and pretty much ignores all of his development from shadow dragon

according to something I read a bit back this might actually have been because people in japan weren't happy with the changes to his character? not sure how much that might've factored in it, but it would make sense, especially considering marth's more like how he was in new mystery in all of his appearances since (like heroes and warriors)

either way i'd agree that it's definitely a big disappointment that they decided to go that route, I liked marth a lot in shadow dragon and I was pretty disappointed to see that he's not really like that in the sequel or any other game

Edited by unique

Gameplay- Probably Roy or Leif. Both suffer from horribly late promotions and Leif suffers in particular due to having a promotion that just gives +1 to everything but move. At least Roy gets a prf weapon that can overkill the final boss.

Story- Definitely Corrin. I can't really feel too much when she/he is crying, whining, being indecisive, or just plain stupid every second. To be more path specific, Conquest Corrin is mentally challenged, Birthright Corrin is the least offensive to your intelligence as she/he at least doesn't have too much plot in the first place to react to, and Rev Corrin is super gullible and characters in the game praise him for it. 

In terms of gameplay - Roy hands down. Awful late promotion, terrible bases in a tough game, and not many super beneficial supports. Other "meh"  lords like Leif, Lyn, Eirkia, Micaiah or Marth are tossed some kind of bone that gives them some use or utility. Roy doesn't.

In terms of writing - Corrin or Robin. Corrin's treated as this "Can do no wrong" God among men who farts cotton candy. Hero worship ruins that character, and there might have been some interesting writing in Conquest if they curbed the hero worship and explored the consequences of Corrin's actions with sticking with the bad guys. But we don't get that. Robin, meanwhile, isn't written as bad as a character, but the story collapses in on itself when the story stops being about Chrom(Gangrel's "arc"), and starts shifting to being about Robin(The Grimleal "arc"). The empty void that exists in this transition(Walhart's "arc") is also terrible. So yeah, pick your poison here. Either one who is just written terribly as a whole, or one who ruins a passable story.

In terms of lore - Sigurd. Yeah, his crusade was admirable, but he ignored some crucial advice and ended up getting half his army killed, with the rest being captured/tortured, or otherwise left as shells of their former selves. And he left a massive power vacuum that made it easier for the influence of the Lopto to spread, resulting in the deaths of many, many children.

Edited by Slumber

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Corrin is outright bad. Chrom is too moved by his heart. Eirika too naive. Ike is flat in personality. Ephraim I'm starting to see is way too perfect despite some clear stupidity on his part (he wanted to march on to Grado Keep with 4 visible units including himself- not more than two-three hundred factoring in invisibles I think). Lyn is a tutorial bot and nothing more. So far, Hector has retained his sacredness with me, but who knows if that'll last? The rest I'll just say ambivalence to for now.

xD I see your not the Lord-Type. It's fine, but I think each Lord has their strengths and their weaknesses, but some fall flat then others. Nothing terrible about that, but they are the face of the certain series (via Awakening, Radiance, Sacred Stones, etc.), and I hope with the new games that Intelligent Systems/Nintendo builds off of those previous mistakes.

9 hours ago, sleeplesskar said:

I'm also not very fond of Post-Act IV Celica in SoV, for obvious reasons.

Celica did fall a little 'flat' after Post Act IV, but I won't spoil for reasons why. With Marth, I have never played the 'Shadow Dragon' arc (I'm sorry, It's such a crime forgive me.) but from reading several articles about the game and the characters, I see why you could say that. Usually with a 'sequel' sort of story, the older characters fall 'short', and it's quite the common thing in games, movies, TV, etc etc... And especially with the 'Avatar/Kris', I think the focus was put upon him, leaving other characters sidelined, including Marth. (That's how I see it.)

Also please forgive me if this is considered a 'double post', I'm still quite new, and I'm trying to not break the rules. D:

Character-wise: Corrin. No need to explain this one.

Honourable mention: Chrom for being boring af, I didn't really like Ephraim and Eirika either, but I couldn't be bothered to finish that game, so perhaps I shouldn't judge them.

Stat-wise: Eliwood, Lyn and our boy Roy are all pretty bad.

Roy has the redeeming feature of his rapier being very useful and once he gets the Binding Blade he's all right. However, he is still really bad throughout most of the game and his very late promotion doesn't help this. I will say, it does make sense when looking at his character, being more of a strategist than a fighter, same for Eliwood who's more of a politician.

Edited by athena_57
was Durandal, but I meant the binding blade of course

Poor Corrin. I think there is some good in him but the writing just ensures that Corrin doesn't work. 

Corrin is pure, innocent and a lot of other things that would make for a good Disney princess but he's so pure that he can't function in his role as lord. He trusts people he's not supposed to and the story makes it very clear that it finds this to be admirable. Corrin isn't allowed to grow out of a flaw that hinders his performance. This is best exemplified by the Anthony arc. Corrin always having to be super innocent also leads to bizarre situations like him and Kotaro turning on each other for no real reason other then the plot not wanting Corrin to work with someone as shady as Kotaro.

And Corrin just comes off as a load. He's not fit for command at all but he manages to come through because the siblings take pity on him and offer their support. Other lords require help too but Corrin just comes off as if he would be hopelessly lost without his siblings looking after him. Ike requires Soren and Titania to babysit him as well in the beginning but he grows in his role, Corrin doesn't and forever has the siblings having to babysit him. 

Character wise: The bland and uninspired Gary Stu known as Sigurd. Dishonourable mention to the Renais twins.

Unit wise: SD Marth. Roy isn't much better.