GC Controller Support on Switch?

Hopped on GFAQs to stalk it up a bit. Found this link to Gamexplain video, so I guess it's reliable. Apparently a recent Switch update makes the GC Controller Adapter used for Smash 4 on the Wii U work on the system. 

Smash 4 port coming? GC VC? What does this mean?

Oh my god, step aside Fire Emblem Warriors, first game I tried this with is Sonic Mania. Welcome home.

Lack of ZL can be a problem for some games - that's the left trigger. There's also no Home or select button. The Switch registers inputs as though the controller is a pro controller. What I see them doing is making some games explicitly compatible with the GC adapter. And by that I mean a setting on games that lets you play without the need for ZL and Minus. With a hypothetical Smash or any other game that lets you re-map controls, they're already compatible. I'm just surprised you can use GC controllers generally. Not even the Wii U did that.

But I'd bet the speculation is dominated by the subject of GC VC and Smash bros. games. Playing the games the way they were meant to be played. If you count Wii VC, every Smash game to date has had GC controller support, so I think all the Smash games are on the table. As for Virtual Console, well, we still have no Virtual console service. The closest we have is the Arcade Archives line, that I assume only exists digitally because they didn't have enough games to package into a blasted "Arcade Mini". As long as the __________ Mini line is successful, why do Virtual Console? This GC support at least gives me hope that this will be the All-In-One Nintendo system I've been waiting for.

Edited by Glennstavos

Damn it, my brother has the Wii U and adapter. Need to convince him to give it back to me without letting him find out about this.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Since when did Sakurai port Smash games to the next console? I always thought it was one new entry per console so I expect a Smash 5 in the eventual future.

Because of the Wii U's failure and the sheer amount of content across both versions of Smash 4, people have been speculating for years now that Smash 4 will get an enhanced port on the Switch.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

Because of the Wii U's failure and the sheer amount of content across both versions of Smash 4, people have been speculating for years now that Smash 4 will get an enhanced port on the Switch.

If there was going to be a port I think it'd have been announced by now, but we'll see.

39 minutes ago, Jedi said:

If there was going to be a port I think it'd have been announced by now, but we'll see.

I don't think so, actually. I think they had enough other games for the year that they didn't want a Smash announcement to overshadow everything else. I'd say by next E3.

On 10/24/2017 at 1:43 AM, Florete said:

I don't think so, actually. I think they had enough other games for the year that they didn't want a Smash announcement to overshadow everything else. I'd say by next E3.

Time will tell! I just think it'd have been a good crowd drawer for the first Switch year.

17 hours ago, Jedi said:

Time will tell! I just think it'd have been a good crowd drawer for the first Switch year.

Switch first year had Zelda at launch, then Mario Kart, Splatoon, and now Mario. 

Smash can wait. Leave it for next year along with Mario Maker. 

According to an interview with Reggie, GC adapter support was simply a result of the Switch hardware now being able to recognize third party peripherals. Activating Gamecube controllers for Switch was not an explicit intention. Guess we should tone down the speculation then...