Virtual Console on Nintendo Switch?

Michelaar

So, I am curious. Is it known when/if there will be virtual console on the switch? I really would like to know, since there are some games that would be perfect for it. Like FE9 AND FE10.

3 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

So, I am curious. Is it known when/if there will be virtual console on the switch? I really would like to know, since there are some games that would be perfect for it. Like FE9 AND FE10.

You forgot to mention that the prices would be reasonable.

It was just discovered that the GameCube adapter works fully on the Switch following update 4.0.0. This could heavily hint at a GameCube Virtual Console I think. Especially since games like Sunshine need Analog triggers to work properly.

I think the virtual console will be put up next year after Nintendo's paid online service starts.  It will be nice when they do put it up and I am really hoping that VC is not region locked because I would love it if I could buy the Japanese only FEs on the eshop.

1 hour ago, EricaofRenais said:

I am really hoping that VC is not region locked because I would love it if I could buy the Japanese only FEs on the eshop.

If I remember correctly, on the Wii Shop Channel (rip in 2019) there were some Japan exclusive virtual console games that were not region locked. I hope the Switch shop goes the same route and gives us Japan exclusive games. 

3 hours ago, Thane said:

I wonder if you'll need to pay for the online services in order to buy the old games, if the old games are included in that price, or if the two are mutually exclusive.

I bet they will make you have to have the service to use VC, but I hope not.  At least it is $20 a year which I can live with. It would be nice if you could get a couple of VC games with your subscription though.

Edited by EricaofRenais

I've been burned so much by the virtual consoles of old that I'm a little bit skittish regarding the idea of a new one. There's only so many times I can buy Metroid, and if I'm going to go in for Gamecube games that I don't already own, then at this point, I need a guarantee that I don't get burned when Nintendo updates their system in the future.

Having to repurchase all of these VC games again and again on the newer systems is terrible, and unnecessary, and just exploitative. 

21 hours ago, Superbus said:

Having to repurchase all of these VC games again and again on the newer systems is terrible, and unnecessary, and just exploitative. 

If I own a game on an older console, I just, y'know, don't buy it again since I literally already own it.

I really hope the Switch gets GC VC games. If Nintendo is never going to make another good Paper Mario or F-Zero game, then ports of their finest are the best we can get.

Nintendo's been so hush-hush about the VC that there's no way it won't be disappointing. I do want the Switch to basically be an amazing, portable SNES, N64, GC and Wii machine, as well as an updated GB/GBC/GBA, but I just know the libraries will be limited. It's just how Nintendo is. 

Kinda hoping we see Ogre Battle on the Switch VC like the Wii VC considering I'll always shill those 2 games :P: 

I mean, it is Nintendo after all, you shouldn't really be surprised at this point.

I've been burned so much by the virtual consoles of old that I'm a little bit skittish regarding the idea of a new one. There's only so many times I can buy Metroid, and if I'm going to go in for Gamecube games that I don't already own, then at this point, I need a guarantee that I don't get burned when Nintendo updates their system in the future.

Never understood why people keep buying the same VC games over and over. I buy them once and I'm done, not gonna reward Nintendo for the lack of transferred purchases.

52 minutes ago, DragonLord said:

Never understood why people keep buying the same VC games over and over. I buy them once and I'm done, not gonna reward Nintendo for the lack of transferred purchases.

Often I find that people will drop an old console entirely instead of keeping them so repurchasing is like easier than finding their old console. 

I will admit I kind of did this with the PS4 I just got because one of the first games I got on it was Dark Cloud despite still having my PS2 (its in storage and my capture card doesn't work with ps2 though).

2 hours ago, DragonLord said:

Well we were a little upset about the Wii U/3DS situation. Since Sony's competing systems, the PS3 and PS Vita, did have cross play with new games ands PS1 classics. You only needed to buy one copy since the Playstation Store was shared between systems. That was cool. Nintendo could have attempted to do the same with the NES and SNES VC games that were shared between the 3DS and Wii U eshops, but they didn't. 

I do think it's reasonable to expect there will be some program like this between Switch and previous Nintendo systems however. Recall that you could buy Wii VC games you already own on Wii U VC at a massive discount: About 80% off. They weren't free, but the discount was permanent and especially generous. Why not make those previous purchases free on the new hardware? Well, I'm guessing Nintendo's thought process was that the Wii U VC offers were of a higher value than what we paid for on Wii. Wii U VC sports HD resolution, off-tv play, and restore points. Paying 1-2 dollars each to get those games on the new hardware seems fair in my imo. And cross platform access makes me feel like I "own" these classics more than if I was stuck having to pay full price again and again. 

On 10/24/2017 at 1:08 PM, Thane said:

I wonder if you'll need to pay for the online services in order to buy the old games, if the old games are included in that price, or if the two are mutually exclusive.

I can’t remember where the quote was but I believe they’ve already disconfirm this theory I believe they said classic game service they’re providing for subscribers is completely different from Virtual Console and that there will be Virtual Console available for the average consumer, it would be completely moronic for them to do anything otherwise regardless.

5 hours ago, DragonLord said:

Well if they have the same discount as they had for Wii U i’ll do it, 2$ for the good version (not a fan of the 3DS remake) of Majora Mask on a handheld sounds like a deal to me (though even if I don’t discount it I’ll probably buy it anyways cause I’m hopeless Zelda Fanboy), heck I’ll definitely buy Blazing Sword again too (crosses fingers for GBA Virtual Console to come back).  Though all of my repurchases will be because it’s handheld and for no the reason.

Though I am less excited for Virtual Console games I played recently and more excited for GameCube Virtual Console I really want to play games like Mario Sunshine, Luigi’s Mansion, and Path of Radiance (among other games) on a handheld.