Which FE would you like to see get a remake next?

Dracologist

58 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Well, I think making it actually playable worth a damn is worth making sacrifices. Because otherwise, people are bound to be disappointed.

I still refuse to believe that the game is unplayable. Different and unbalanced yea but not unplayable.

But if they change the game too much Holy War fans will be disappointed. I'd rather them keep it faithful so it still feels like FE4 than completely change how the game is made. If they get rid of the wonky skills and big ass maps it just wouldn't feel right.

Things like telegraphing the hidden events better or the aforementioned commit button for the lover system, also making it less convoluted, I'm all for but straight up changing the core principles of the game is a little too much. 

Weapon weights do need to change though, I can't support keeping them.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Greencapps said:

But that's also what makes Genealogy what it is. Taking that away would take away some of the charm.

I mean, there's stuff they could add to it, rather than gut the game. 

Much like how Echoes added sidequests and other stuff to do on the game's overworld map, they could add more side-objectives, map events and general other things to FE4's massive maps to make them not feel so empty. 

I'd also like there to be more to castle sieges, like maybe an indoor section or something where mounted units aren't quite as effective as they are on the field. Some game play additions as well as tweaks that mitigate the massive "Horse Emblem" imbalances. 

Fleshing out and adding more "skill weapons" like they were doing in FE5(Even though these were still all nearly swords) would be cool, too. 

Edited by Slumber

8 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

There's no charm in Genealogy's weapon balance. It's practically offensive.

On top of that, the money system is just awful, and fixed weapon ranks are just offensive. There's no charm in these, either. And by the Goddesses, the pawn shop system needs to go.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

23 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

There's no charm in Genealogy's weapon balance. It's practically offensive.

50 minutes ago, Greencapps said:

Weapon weights do need to change though, I can't support keeping them.

Please read all my posts before saying I said something I didn't

Anyways as for the money and pawn shop systems. I don't think they have to change. Maybe make money transferring easier or a little more universal to alleviate the small problems it does cause. I do kinda like the idea of each unit having to make a living. Plus without the pawnshop you'd just have way too much gold.

Weapon ranking could use a change but I don't think it's 100% needed. 

Oh and the weapon triangle bonuses have to be balanced cause as they are is broken.

Edited by Greencapps

Easily Genealogy. Its the most deserving in terms of how unique it is and for the high esteem people have of it. Genealogy is also the game that would benefit from it the most since it can iron out the flaws that held the game back and expand on a very solid foundation.

I also wouldn't appreciate the thought of Genealogy being skipped over despite these strong points and despite the infidelity less known and appreciated Gaiden getting the chance.  Genealogy being snubbed implies its unworthy and second rate and that's evidently not the case. If the forgotten Gaiden could get a very successful remake then the fondly remembered and influential Genealogy should get one as well. 

Realistically, Genealogy of the Holy War.

I'd love another of Mystery of the emblem though, I know it's unlikely as it already has one, but seriously, the ds games were really lame esthetically, not only the combats were unimpresive, but the portraits were liveless too, and of course, we only received the game lacking supports and other mechanics, so the Akaneia games hardly receive love from the western community, are the DS titles even considered to be classic fe games?

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Easily Genealogy. Its the most deserving in terms of how unique it is and for the high esteem people have of it. Genealogy is also the game that would benefit from it the most since it can iron out the flaws that held the game back and expand on a very solid foundation.

I also wouldn't appreciate the thought of Genealogy being skipped over despite these strong points and despite the infidelity less known and appreciated Gaiden getting the chance.  Genealogy being snubbed implies its unworthy and second rate and that's evidently not the case. If the forgotten Gaiden could get a very successful remake then the fondly remembered and influential Genealogy should get one as well. 

To be fair, Gaiden got remade BECAUSE it was obscure, and there wasn't much risk of alienating fans of the original game. Compare to Genealogy, where, as Zasplach said earlier, if the remake changes too much from the original, it'd alienate the hardcore FE4 fans, but if it doesn't do enough to change the problems people have with it, they risk disappointing everyone else.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

On 10/25/2017 at 6:57 AM, Lau said:

However...I would love for the Archanea duo to be remade...again. Give Marth the respect he deserves IS you cowards! Obviously you'd get the pests who groan about "Archanea getting shoved in our faces again" but I could not care less. Archanea is quite clearly the best continent.

But it already got remade. Just because it wasn't good enough for you doesn't mean Nintendo should keep on remaking it until it gives Marth the "respect he deserves" because they'd have to remake the game an arbitrary number of times to fulfil your wish. 

20 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

But it already got remade. Just because it wasn't good enough for you doesn't mean Nintendo should keep on remaking it until it gives Marth the "respect he deserves" because they'd have to remake the game an arbitrary number of times to fulfil your wish. 

Alright calm down, you're taking what I said wayyy too seriously. I enjoyed SD, I'd go as far as to say that it's one of my favourite FE games, but I'd love to see it get the Echoes treatment. Goodness me...

1 minute ago, Lau said:

Alright calm down, you're taking what I said wayyy too seriously. I enjoyed SD, I'd go as far as to say that it's one of my favourite FE games, but I'd love to see it get the Echoes treatment. Goodness me...

It could benefit more compared to some of the latest games because DS is still weaker than GB, Wii and 3DS. 

Just now, Icelerate said:

It could benefit more compared to some of the latest games because DS is still weaker than GB, Wii and 3DS. 

Exactly! And lets be honest, SD left a lot to be desired. We need supports, better graphics, animated cutscenes, voice acting...ah, it would be great. Obviously I'm not expecting it to be remade anytime soon, but it would be nice.

Just now, Lau said:

Exactly! And lets be honest, SD left a lot to be desired. We need supports, better graphics, animated cutscenes, voice acting...ah, it would be great. Obviously I'm not expecting it to be remade anytime soon, but it would be nice.

Is it on VC for either Wii, Wii U, Switch or 3DS? I haven't played Marth's games but I'm guessing no because it had no international release. 

2 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Is it on VC for either Wii, Wii U, Switch or 3DS? I haven't played Marth's games but I'm guessing no because it had no international release. 

Shadow Dragon is on the Wii U VC. New Mystery of the Emblem has never been localised, so you'll have to emulate it.

2 hours ago, Icelerate said:

That's kinda my take on the matter. Nothing Archenea ever did made it deserving of yet another remake, quite the opposite really.  Archenea got its remake, they wasted the chance and for now that's where the story should end. 

I do think Archenea can benefit from a remake but not before other games have had their chance. Giving them a remake now would just be an unwelcome implication of Archenea  getting special treatment once again while other games that deserve the chance are ignored. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

37 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Path of Radiance; mainly so I can sell my Gamecube copy after having heard that even a used one can sell for a huge amount. But also because Path of Radiance is my favourite FE game.

If a remake is announced I think the price of POR is going to get down significantly. Its so pricey because its very hard to get and a remake pretty much solves that issue.

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

That's kinda my take on the matter. Nothing Archenea ever did made it deserving of yet another remake, quite the opposite really.  Archenea got its remake, they wasted the chance and for now that's where the story should end. 

I do think Archenea can benefit from a remake but not before other games have had their chance. Giving them a remake now would just be an unwelcome implication of Archenea again getting special treatment once again while other games that deserve the chance are ignored. 

The SNES and GBA ones probably deserve them more. I haven't experienced Marth's games or Judgral but from what I've heard Jugdral has a very deep plot but it was on an archaic console so the narrative can be made much better.  

14 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

If a remake is announced I think the price of POR is going to get down significantly. Its so pricey because its very hard to get and a remake pretty much solves that issue.

I know; I was mostly just making a joke.

I've already said my piece in this topic, but I'd like to go further and give a full synopsis of points for and against the games being remade. Order will be my most to least likely, but I'll try to remain unbiased as far as points go.

FE6: Binding Blade
For: This game has several things going in its favor...

• Roy is the most iconic JP-only Fire Emblem lord by leaps and bounds. He's been in two Smash Bros titles and won 2nd on the CYL popularity poll for Heroes, all without a proper game outside of Japan. Sure the mystery behind him is probably a part of it, but people would be thrilled to see what he's all about.
  • Being the template for the following GBA games, Binding Blade's gameplay will feel very familiar with people who joined when the first game hit the West. Those following games improved upon the UI with more quality of life options and balancing tweaks, and it isn't far-fetched to think those would be included here.
  • And as everyone has discussed before, the director of Echoes has expressed interest in Binding Blade, so if he has a say in it then FE6 has a stronger chance.

Against: I can't think of any strong points against it beyond breaking game order or that involve bias. Next.

FE4: Genealogy of the Holy War
For: I'm putting this one up next because not only did Heroes just recognize it, but it also has several points in its favor.

• This game is remembered fondly in Japan and remains one of its best sellers to date.
  • It had the original marriage and children system. This was a well-received feature of Awakening (albeit with a few criticisms) and was less warmly received when they repeated it in Fates. Remaking FE4 would arguably be the best way to include children in a "new game" while dodging the controversy.
  • Besides children, the gameplay is unique among the Fire Emblem series in its scale and implementation of certain mechanics. That was one of the draws of SoV: you got to experience a relic of the past without the rust that made playing it cumbersome without emulator features.

Against: There are, however, a few things working against it.

• The story is a touchy subject, with incest being a major plot point and a few other family-unfriendlies like the Child Hunts. Still, Gaiden had its dark moments that were kept in Shadows of Valentia.
  • The gameplay is a double-edged sword. People were not too fond of the faithfulness to SoV's gameplay, and there are wide criticisms about Genealogy's. I'll give an abridged list: the map scale, the item system, and a love system which are very different from what we know of in modern games. There was even a recent discussion on the latter.

FE3: Mystery of the Emblem
Against: I'm starting with the cons for this one because...

• It technically already happened. This is arguably the strongest point one would pull against any game to be considered for a remake.

For: That said, it's about the only one I can think of. On the other hand...

• Said remake was JP-only and covers only the latter half of Mystery, while Shadow Dragon covered the first half. The important takeaway is that Marth's saga is technically incomplete outside of Japan.
  • Having been remade once, there's a lot of source material to draw from if they wanted to retread it. Each has a distinct form of gameplay, elements that could be mixed and matched to create a unique experience.

FE5: Thracia 776
For: I ranked this lowest but there are a few good things going for it.

• It was the predecessor to FE6 in that it set the standard for how all following games played up until Awakening. So while it may not be GBA FE it will be fairly recognizable.
  • It has several gameplay mechanics unique or nearly unique to it including capturing, weapon stealing, dismounting, movement stars, and escape maps.

Against: There are some glaring issues though...

• Thracia 776 was originally the series' black sheep after Gaiden, and with Shadows of Valentia out it has taken the mantle itself. It took three years to get proper recognition in Cipher and Heroes representation has been limited to two characters, one of which was not playable. It remains the most obscure game to date.
  • Like FE4, those gameplay differences could create a shock to newer players, and it is not friendly to first-time players at all. The devs could address that though.
  • Thracia 776 is not a standalone story and its events are more strongly tied to Genealogy's than Elibe's duology. Even SoV followed Shadow Dragon despite being less connected than these two. It would be odd to receive this time without getting Genealogy first.

I won't cover the other games because the initiative behind the remakes seems to be introducing older treasures to a wider audience that never got to experience them (emulation notwithstanding). FE7: Blazing Blade has the strongest chance out of them because of ties to Binding Blade but as I've said before they are loose ties and base FE7 already exists. Thoughts? Think I missed any points for or against the games?

15 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

Thoughts? Think I missed any points for or against the games?

I think all your points are valid, but you forgot to mention that Binding Blade's prequel was already released internationally, and Blazing Blade ended on a psuedo-cliffhanger that led into it's predecessor. Players unfamiliar with FE6 never learned about what came of Zephiel's subplot, so I think that's another good reason for Binding Blade to get a remake next.

23 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I think all your points are valid, but you forgot to mention that Binding Blade's prequel was already released internationally, and Blazing Blade ended on a psuedo-cliffhanger that led into it's predecessor. Players unfamiliar with FE6 never learned about what came of Zephiel's subplot, so I think that's another good reason for Binding Blade to get a remake next.

Darn, and that's a low-hanging fruit. Can't believe I missed it!