Starting my collection again

SoloMish

So i have not touched this card series since the second set(which i got every single card for in both sets) but i'm looking to get into collecting more sets. Just how much is it going to hurt my bank account starting this collection again? are booster boxes expensive for the older sets like set 3, 4 and 5?

13 minutes ago, Kirie said:

You can still get older boxes from AmiAmi for around MSRP. Generally, single prices are either stable or have gone down a bit over time.

Oh cool i forgot all about AmiAmi! thanks the prices seem decent here. Since i'm trying to get one of each card from a set do you recommend getting 1 or 2 boxes? is 2 boxes over kill?

Amiami is a good place to get them from. Anyways if you care about the promo cards in each set then two boxes will be needed since they are basically 50/50 chance you'll get one then the other. For example Series 7 had a Seliph promo card and I think a Chrom promo. You had a 50 chance of Seliph and a 50 chance of Chrom. Also if that doesn't make sense two boxes are needed due to the amount of SRs and Rs most boxes have. I got a box of series 7 when it came out and I know I didn't get all the cards. I'm missing several SRs along with a few Rs so it could work out if you get two boxes. If not then getting them single may be your option but some of those cards may be better off getting the box since you do get more cards for probably the same price (I'm specifically referring to the SR Nino out of series 7, that card alone was worth the entire box and shipping.) Anyways I wish you luck in getting back into this. I need to since that series 7 box was my first and last box.

2 hours ago, Nickop said:

Oh cool i forgot all about AmiAmi! thanks the prices seem decent here. Since i'm trying to get one of each card from a set do you recommend getting 1 or 2 boxes? is 2 boxes over kill?

Buying one box will get you probably all N/HN cards, 11~12 out of 16 Rs*, 4 out of 12 SRs, and 1 + card. Boxes you buy after that will bulk up your Ns/HNs and may fill your R/SR/R holes, but you also run the risk of getting duplicates, with more duplicates likely the more boxes you buy.

Either way, it's kind of a gamble, since if you're looking to complete sets, you'll need to buy more SRs/+ cards at the very least, and depending on the ones you pull, you might have to shell out a lot for the singles, or you might luck out with a really nice pull.

Personally, I buy 3~4 boxes of each set, but I enjoy trading and selling my duplicates, and opening packs is at least half the fun for me. Plus, I get to use the photos for my articles.

I think 2 is probably a safe bet, since you're less likely to get a bunch of duplicates, but you might still have a bit of leeway for trades.

(* - S1~S4 and S5+ sets do + cards a bit differently. In S1~S4, every box came with 12 Rs and 4 SRs, and one of those was replaced with a +, getting an SR+ 1/4 times and R+ 3/4 times. Ever since S5, the rates are still the same, but + cards occupy their own slot, so to speak. So you either get 11 R, 4 SR, and 1 SR+ or 11 R, 4 SR, and 1 SR+. So, basically, S5+ pulls are slightly better since you have a chance of getting 5 SRs per box instead of 4, if you luck into an SR+ pull.)

11 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Amiami is a good place to get them from. Anyways if you care about the promo cards in each set then two boxes will be needed since they are basically 50/50 chance you'll get one then the other. For example Series 7 had a Seliph promo card and I think a Chrom promo. You had a 50 chance of Seliph and a 50 chance of Chrom. Also if that doesn't make sense two boxes are needed due to the amount of SRs and Rs most boxes have. I got a box of series 7 when it came out and I know I didn't get all the cards. I'm missing several SRs along with a few Rs so it could work out if you get two boxes. If not then getting them single may be your option but some of those cards may be better off getting the box since you do get more cards for probably the same price (I'm specifically referring to the SR Nino out of series 7, that card alone was worth the entire box and shipping.) Anyways I wish you luck in getting back into this. I need to since that series 7 box was my first and last box.

8 hours ago, Kirie said:

Buying one box will get you probably all N/HN cards, 11~12 out of 16 Rs*, 4 out of 12 SRs, and 1 + card. Boxes you buy after that will bulk up your Ns/HNs and may fill your R/SR/R holes, but you also run the risk of getting duplicates, with more duplicates likely the more boxes you buy.

Either way, it's kind of a gamble, since if you're looking to complete sets, you'll need to buy more SRs/+ cards at the very least, and depending on the ones you pull, you might have to shell out a lot for the singles, or you might luck out with a really nice pull.

Personally, I buy 3~4 boxes of each set, but I enjoy trading and selling my duplicates, and opening packs is at least half the fun for me. Plus, I get to use the photos for my articles.

I think 2 is probably a safe bet, since you're less likely to get a bunch of duplicates, but you might still have a bit of leeway for trades.

(* - S1~S4 and S5+ sets do + cards a bit differently. In S1~S4, every box came with 12 Rs and 4 SRs, and one of those was replaced with a +, getting an SR+ 1/4 times and R+ 3/4 times. Ever since S5, the rates are still the same, but + cards occupy their own slot, so to speak. So you either get 11 R, 4 SR, and 1 SR+ or 11 R, 4 SR, and 1 SR+. So, basically, S5+ pulls are slightly better since you have a chance of getting 5 SRs per box instead of 4, if you luck into an SR+ pull.)

Cheers for the response guys and yeah looking at ebay and how much some of the single SR's are going for(pretty much the price of a single box) i think ill pick up 2 boxes or more if needed.