The Lost Princess

eclipse

What started as somewhat of a joke in the Drafts subforum wound up turning into a story.  I'm porting it over here, because I really want to finish the story, even if the draft in its current state is nigh-unwinnable (Corrin's level 5 promoted, and I'm on the one map where I can't pair her up).  I'll leave the original story where it is, but I'm going to add all those little things I wanted to while I transfer it over.  For the sake of "where are we now", I'm going to keep the chapter headings.  No, I don't feel like fleshing out the beginning, there isn't much to say.  Yes, this will take a while.

Besides, I owe it to Soliel.

Chapter 2

"Hey, Rinkah," Kaze whispered, long after the Nohrians had left. "Doesn't she look familiar?"
"Nohrians all look the same to me," Rinkah replied flatly, arms crossed in front of her chest.
"One of them was the spitting image of Princess Sakura." Rinkah's slowly receding back was to him.
"I guess it was my imagination," he mumbled, before hurrying after her.

Chapter 3

"I guess she does look like Princess Sakura, if I squint hard enough," Rinkah muttered under her breath, the limp form of the kidnapped Nohrian princess over her shoulder.  "I wish you were as light as her."

Chapter 4

"Y-you're my sister?" The pink-haired priestess took a look at her namesake - the middle child of the Hoshidan royal family, presumed dead. Both of them had pink hair, cut nearly the same way. Only the height difference and Sakura's hairpiece were enough to distinguish them.
"I looked exactly like you when I was your age," the older girl responded lightly.
"I can't believe it. . .both Sakuras, together again. . ." Hinoka's words were interrupted by her own tears, as she grabbed the other two girls in a giant hug.
"And now that we're together again. . .I won't let anything separate us. . ."

---

"Two of them?" Takumi said under his breath.  His head darted between the newly-found Sakura and his younger sister.
"W-well, I had another name after I reached Nohr--" the elder Sakura started.
"You're not in Nohr anymore," Ryoma cut in.  "We'll figure this out."
"But dear, what would you like to be called?"  Everyone turned to the woman on the throne, who hid a chuckle behind one of her sleeves.
"U-uh, Mother, I. . ."  The younger Sakura stopped as everyone's attention turned to her.  "Sakura is a common name in Hoshido.  I can be 'second princess', and my older sister can be 'first princess'."
"That's a mouthful," Hinoka grumbled.  "What about Sa-chan?"  The younger girl's face scrunched up in displeasure.
"Hinoka, she's not a little girl anymore," Takumi said sternly.  "What about 'older Sakura' and 'younger Sakura'?"
"Are you calling your newly found sister an old lady?!" Hinoka snapped.
"That's not what he was implying," Ryoma spoke up.  He briefly coughed into his forearm before continuing.  "What would you like to be called?"
"Back when I was in Nohr, they tried to call me Corrin.  But I hated the name, and refused to use it.  My siblings--"  The faces of her newly adopted family fell.  "Uh, I mean, the other princes and princesses called me 'Sakura' since it made me happy.  Eventually, it stuck.  But if it'll be easier, I can be 'Corrin' over here."
"I suppose 'Kourin' would be distinctive enough."  The elder Sakura cocked her head, then nodded.  "Consider it a nickname.  But in my heart, both of you are my dear Sakuras."  The two girls looked at each other, before turning back to the throne.
"Yes, Mother," they said in unison.

Outside, another girl silently slipped away from the window.  "So, that's my other half," she mused, her feet leading her back to her room.  "I wonder what my family would think of me?"

Chapter 5

"You're Azura?"  The older Sakura and the blue-haired girl locked eyes.
"Who else would I be?" she replied, brushing one of her long locks away from her face.
"S-sorry to bother you."  Azura watched the other girl slowly walk back to her room.  Once she was out of sight, Azura's hands clenched into white-knuckled fists.
"Why did you have the love of siblings, even in the land of darkness?"

---

She saw the figure rise, sword in hand.  Part of her wanted to stay silent, to LET the swordsman do his deed.  Then she'd have her family back.  The glint of steel from the sword snapped her back to her senses.

"LOOK OUT!" Azura called out, in vain. With the last of its strength, one of the invaders plunged a wickedly sharp sword straight through the dragon's scales. Rinkah's club ended the enemy's struggle for good, but it was far too late for the white dragon. Azura closed her eyes and sang, tears running down her face. The white dragon's form shrank, horns transforming into pink hair, claws into hands, and scales into bloodstained clothes.

"T-thank you. . ." the figure on the ground whispered, raising her hand towards Azura's face. Sakura raised her staff, its healing light doing nothing to staunch her older sister's bleeding.

"Sakura, it's over. She's gone," Ryoma said softly. Sakura looked up at her older brother, sorrow transforming into fear. Something metallic flew towards him. She opened her mouth to scream, but no sound came out. Instead, she mutely pointed. Her brother turned, just in time to see the glint of steel that flew towards him. He shielded his face--

--as the sword landed in Sakura's outstretched hand.

"W-what is this?" Sakura stated numbly, sinking to her knees.

"Yato. . .it's chosen you. . ." Ryoma mumbled.

"A sword? But this should be yours! I don't know how to use it!" Sakura yelled. Ryoma shook his head.

"The sword chose you, not me. But you'll need training. I'll start you on the basics tomorrow," her older brother said flatly. "Swords of legend show up during times of trouble. We need to be prepared."

Sakura carefully put the sword down, before burying her head in her hands. Ryoma carefully got down on one knee, and held his sobbing sister.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, his voice thick with emotion.

---

Once clear of the others, Azura rubbed her throat.  Oh, she'd hated her supposed sister as soon as she laid eyes on her.  Hoshido only needed one Sakura, and it was the little girl she'd first seen as an infant.  But even if she couldn't bear the sight of her adopted family fawning over the newcomer, she hadn't wished death upon her.  Or did she?  She was the first to see the soldier rise, yet she hesitated.  But as soon as the soldier struck, the song of release came out of her mouth, unbidden.

"Am I truly responsible for this?"  She tried to remember the melody she'd sang, but all that greeted her ears was silence.

Chapter 6

With shaking legs and an unsteady grip on Yato, Sakura walked onto the battlefield. Instead of spending her time meditating, she endured all sorts of physical training, from running to weight lifting to proper sword technique. The thought of using Yato to hurt others made Sakura's stomach roil, but what choice did she have? The sword chose her, so she had to be strong. For everyone.

---

Sakura screamed as an arrow found its way to her shoulder. She looked back towards he family, but only saw Nohrian soldiers. The sound of hoofbeats drew her attention. A man in black armor stood above her, sword pointed at her head.

"If you wish to live, surrender now."

So how does this work if you don't mind me asking, I saw some people get together and so something like this a while back, and it looked pretty fun. Do you just play through the game and add portions to the story? Do you also pre pick what units you use like I saw in another one? Also did you just do this solo or with a group at the start? Just curious

7 hours ago, JimmyBeans said:

So how does this work if you don't mind me asking, I saw some people get together and so something like this a while back, and it looked pretty fun. Do you just play through the game and add portions to the story? Do you also pre pick what units you use like I saw in another one? Also did you just do this solo or with a group at the start? Just curious

Several people (3-5) come together.  Certain units are designated as "free" or "banned".  Free units are available to everyone.  Banned units are available to no one.  The remainder of the cast is thrown into a common pool.  From there, players take turns picking units they want to use out of the pool.  Once picked, the unit is removed from the pool.  Once drafting is over, the units you picked, along with the free units are your team.

In this case, it started as a normal draft run.  But then I decided to have some fun writing the story.  Turns out I suck at gameplay-story segregation, which is why the run is currently not winnable without breaking the draft rules.  The story is based off of my drafted team.  They are the ones doing the fighting in my story.  The rest of the cast ranges from NPC to not mentioned at all.  Since this IS a story, I took some serious liberties with the actual scenario.  These will become apparent towards the latter portion of the game.

Chapter 7

"This. . .child is the one that bears Yato?" Sakura shrunk back at the sight of the man on the throne. Unlike her mother, he radiated ill will.
"Yes, father, she does. She also bears a striking resemblance to our Sakura, no?" Father? She'd be captured by a prince? He ordered his men to tend to her wounds, and to keep an eye on her, but that was all that they did. For a brief moment, a sneer graced the older man's face.
"Very good. She will make a fitting replacement for our missing princess." The man on the throne smiled coldly. "If she's willing, of course," he added.
"Your Highness, I don't think this is a good idea. She's still a Hoshidan, and they can't be trusted!" a man with lanky, oily locks of black hair interjected.
"W-why would I want to do anything for you?!" Sakura interjected. The king's smile became even wider.
"Bring them in," he ordered one of the guards. A short time later, two familiar figures were rudely shoved into the audience chamber.
"Y-your Highness! You're safe!" The brown-haired girl's frown turned into a brief smile.
"Don't worry about us! You've got to get back home!" Though his words were harsh, Sakura saw relief in the redheaded man's eyes.
"If you do as I say, they'll be. . .taken care of. If not, I'll see to it that they feel the depths of my disappointment in you. Do I make myself clear?" Sakura bit her lip, and looked at the prisoners. Both of them shook their heads.
"Do you truly expect me to be of any use in this state?" Sakura stated, pointing to her bandaged shoulder. "And how am I to fight, if I have no weapon?" she continued.
"You've made a wise decision, young lady," the man on the throne said, no kindness in his tone. "One week. That's when I'll expect something from you."

---

"May I come in?"  The knock on the door caused Sakura to jump.
"Y-yes," she said hesitantly.  A man with long blond hair stood in the doorway.
"My name is Jakob.  I shall--" he started.  "Sakura?  Is that really you?"
"T-that's my name," she said shakily.  The man walked around her, staff in hand.
"Ah, you're too young to be my Sakura.  But you look exactly like her!"
"Oh.  She was. . .my sister. . ."  Her last memories of her older sister played through her mind.  Much to her horror, she felt tears come to her eyes.
"Is something the matter?  I can come back if you'd like--ah!"  He took a startled step back as Sakura grabbed him, sobbing.
"Why did this happen?  I. . .couldn't save her. . ."  He froze at her words.  Eventually, compassion won over his torn sense of loyalty, and he gently patted the crying girl's back.
"Just let it out.  Please tell me what happened.  When you're ready, of course."

---

Sakura massaged her newly-healed shoulder. She'd told each of them what had happened to her older sister. Xander's stern expression hadn't changed at all, while Camilla sank to the floor, sobbing. Leo immediately stormed off, while Elise silently stood where she was, her eyes wide with shock. Yet their mourning only seemed to last a day, as each of them did their best to teach her something. Xander's sword lessons were no less grueling than Ryoma's. Camilla taught her the differences between Nohr and Hoshido, something that Sakura never dreamed she'd have to learn. Leo provided her with reading material, to pass the time. Elise sneaked various foodstuffs to her, things that Sakura would've never been served in Hoshido. It wasn't the home Sakura had grown up in, but it felt oddly comforting.

"You called, Your Highness?" she said deferentially. Camilla would probably point out a thing or two that Sakura had erred on.

"Good, good. Your first assignment is to go to the Ice Tribe, and assess their loyalty to Nohr. If they are unwilling to submit to the proxy of the king, you must subjugate them, by force." Sakura swallowed hard.

"Where is this 'Ice Tribe'?" she asked, doing her best to keep the fear out of her voice.

"You will be provided with a map before you leave. I will await the good news." Once the door behind Sakura closed, the king let out a chuckle.

"You're in a good mood, Your Highness," the ever-present sorcerer commented.

"Yes, indeed. There's no way the Ice Tribe will believe that a Hoshidan is acting under my orders. They'll probably kill her on sight. And then. . .we can take their land as ours, as reparations for killing one of our princesses."

---

"Leaving so soon?"  Jakob stood at her door, map in hand.
"Yes, I must.  His Highness doesn't care for tardiness."  Her butler bowed deeply.
"Very well.  I have prepared a pack for you.  Please see the guards at the front gate before you leave."
"T-thank you.  For everything."  Jakob watched wordlessly as his master departed.

Once she was out of sight, he sat down on a nearby chair.  He regarded a spare staff that she'd left in her room.  Staves could patch up minor wounds, and make more serious wounds less debilitating.  However, its magic required time.  If the victim bled out before the staff was able to do its job, then nothing could be done.  Sakura had clearly adored her older sister, before she perished.  The younger girl wouldn't have hesitated.

"Jakob?  What are you doing in here?"  He jumped as Elise stood in the door.
"Just composing myself, milady."
"You're worried about her, aren't you?"
"What do you mean?"  Elise crossed her arms across her chest and sighed.
"This mission.  She's never been to Nohr, and the first place Father sends her is a freezing hell."  Jakob's eyebrows knit.
"Are you saying he's trying to kill her?"  Elise's eyes went wide.
"Not so loud!"  Jakob swallowed hard.  "I don't think he means lasting harm to her.  But something like this would rattle her.  Did you check the map you gave her?"
"Of course not, milady.  It's none of my business."
"Well, it should be."  She opened up another map.  "What does this look like?"  Jakob stroked his chin thoughtfully.
"She has been training with Xander," he said thoughtfully.
"That's not going to cut it!  This route goes straight through several monster-infested places.  It's the most direct, but also the most dangerous."  Jakob felt the blood drain from his face.  He wasn't quite sure how he felt about Sakura, but he knew better than to cross Elise.
"Are you saying I should go after her?"  Elise shook her head.
"Of course not!" Elise said, far too loudly.  "Effie needs to collect some herbs for me in that area.  I'd like you to go with her, because you're better at identifying plants than she is."  Elise's face broke into a grin as Jakob nodded.
"And if you see Sakura, make sure she comes back," she whispered.  "That's what a loyal butler would do, right?"  The butler in question swallowed hard.
"Y-yes, of course, milady.  I shall set off at once."

On the way back to her room, Elise chuckled.  Jakob would do his duty - he was smart enough to do that.  She'd seen the conflict in his eyes when she mentioned Sakura's name.  He'd been loyal to only one of them.  But if the other one was to survive, she needed allies in Nohr.  Her retainers would follow her without question.  Everyone else was another matter entirely.  Her siblings seemed fond of the newcomer, at least.

"I need you alive, Sakura.  Alive, and on my side."

---

"T-thanks, you two," Sakura huffed, the last of the monsters laid to rest. "But what possessed the two of you to come out here? Won't you get in trouble?"
"I am Sakura's butler, milady," Jakob stated bluntly. "My loyalty is with you alone."
The larger girl offered a gloved hand, stained with blood and bits of leaves. "My name is Effie, Your Highness. Elise sent me to make sure you'd be okay. She can explain away my absence."
"It's nice to meet you, Effie! But please, call me Sakura. I'm not your master--AH!" Effie loosened her overenthusiastic handshake.
"Alright, Sakura. Let's go to the Ice Tribe. Your claim should look more legitimate with me around."

Chapter 8

The freezing winds whipped through Sakura's short hair, as she drew her cloak closer. Thanks to Effie and Jakob's help, they had little trouble reaching Ice Tribe territory. The blizzard they'd encountered had separated Sakura, and she wandered aimlessly, partially to keep warm, and partially in hopes of finding the village.

The ground underneath her gave way. Her scream was lost to the winds.

---

"I-is this the afterlife?" In stark contrast to the raging winds outside, Sakura found herself in a small room. A fire on the opposite wall threw shadows all along the walls. Her legs were covered with a pale yellow blanket, its worn edges a testament to its usefulness. A bookshelf was placed within arm's reach, with a small table nearby. The books themselves ranged from wilderness survival to history to flights of fancy. Sakura's head jerked towards the far corner, where footsteps approached her.

"I see you're awake," the man at the other end of the room said, his voice as warm as the fireplace. "How do you feel?"
"I'm fine," Sakura said softly. "Thank you for taking care of me," she continued. The man's eyes sparkled in spite of his age, not unlike Yukimura's when the latter had an idea.
"It's my pleasure, young lady. Your clothes look like they're from Hoshido. What brings you all the way out here?" Sakura swallowed hard, then took a deep breath.
"I was sent here by King Garon to investigate rumors of a rebellion," she blurted, mangling the truth in the process. The man's eyebrow arched.
"Someone from Hoshido acting on behalf of the Nohrian King? Surely you've been addled by the cold weather!" Shouting and footsteps from outside saved Sakura from having to answer that.
"Sir, we have intruders!" Jakob and Effie were hauled unceremoniously into the house. "We found them wandering outside of our village!"
"Jakob! Effie! You're alive!" Sakura yelped.
"Well, someone had to deliver Yato to you," Effie responded, placing the sword on the ground.
"That armor is of Nohrian make, and Flora worked with a butler named Jakob. And at the foot of my doorway is a sword of legend. Who are you, girl?!" the man demanded.
"My name is Sakura. Yato flew into my hands the day I lost my mother and sister. Then, I was taken into Nohrian custody, and now here I am." The man shook his head.
"If it wasn't for that sword, I would have you all executed on the spot. However, I will make an exception for this. . .unsightly intrusion. Show me why you were chosen by Yato." Sakura sighed. Not another deal!
"I-if I win, you'll stay loyal to the Nohrian crown," Sakura said slowly.
"And if I win, your lives are forfeit." Sakura slowly rose to her feet and nodded.
"Jakob, Effie. . .I'm sorry, but I really need your help," she apologized.
"I will do whatever milady asks," Jakob stated curtly.
"They'd better feed us after we win!" Effie growled.

---

"A deal is a deal," the defeated village leader acknowledged, holding his side.
"W-wait, all you have is Jakob and your daughter as healers?!" Sakura said, shock in her voice. "But there's so many wounded people!"
"Nonsense. These scratches are nothing compared to the weather." Sakura shook her head.
"If you have an extra staff, I can--" A tap on her shoulder stopped her thoughts. Effie held out a staff.
"Just in case," she said.
"Oh, thank you!" Sakura said, her voice light with happiness. "I can start with you! After all, you saved my life earlier." Sakura closed her eyes, remembering simpler times, when all she had to worry about were her studies. Her innate magic reacted to the staff, and in moments, the village leader was enveloped in a warm glow.
"A staff in one hand, and a sword in the other. Perhaps that is why Yato chose you," the village leader mused, poking the area where he'd been injured. "It takes strength to face an enemy, but even more to move on from a conflict."
"I-I'm glad you're okay!" The village leader chuckled at Sakura's expression.
"You're all more than welcome to stay! Dinner should be ready soon, and it should be an experience to remember." Effie's cheer was cut short by her growling stomach.

---

"I didn't mention Yato," Sakura said between bites of stew.
"You didn't have to.  Elise briefed me on everything."  Effie wiped the gravy off of her lips.
"Why is she being so nice?"  Effie let out a chuckle.
"Elise is the baby of her family.  The others are far too busy with their responsibilities to pay attention to her.  The two of you have a lot in common, right down to busy older siblings.  It's a good change of pace for her."  Sakura smiled shyly.
"I-I'm glad," she mumbled, before shoving another spoonful of stew in her mouth.  Effie leaned in close.
"Elise takes care of her friends.  Always."

Chapter 9

"I have returned, Your Highness," Sakura said, bowing deeply.
"I have received the message from the Ice Tribe. They will no longer be of any concern," Garon said slowly.
"My sources tell me that you had others with you on the expedition to the Ice Tribe," Iago countered swiftly.
"They followed me of their own volition, and were forced to fight for their lives against the Ice Tribe. Surely that is punishment enough," Sakura said quickly.
"Still, Anankos was not pleased, and demanded a payment in blood," Garon continued. Sakura gasped as Jakob and Effie were paraded in front of her, in shackles. "Anankos had no interest in the Hoshidans, but he seemed most interested in the interlopers."
"What kind of mad god demands a blood sacrifice?!" Sakura blurted out.
"Silence, child! Anankos' will is absolute, and it's YOUR disobedience that caused it!" Garon roared.
"If this is how it ends, so be it," Effie said, her voice unnervingly calm. "At least I will have a clean conscience." She gasped as a mailed fist found its way to her gut.
"Yet fortune smiles upon you again, Sakura, for Anankos has decreed that another sacrifice was equally worthy." One of Nohr's soldiers entered, a bag in his hands. He dumped its contents unceremoniously at Sakura's feet. She screamed as her eyes met the unblinking gaze of the severed head in front of her.
"The Ice Tribe has paid for your blunder, to the last child. Anankos will NOT be so forgiving next time," Iago said, a hint of glee in his voice.
"Your next mission is to capture Notre Sagasse," Garon said, ignoring the grisly remains in front of him. "Take no prisoners."
"Where IS Notre Sagasse?" Sakura asked, averting her eyes from the object at her feet.
"If I may, Your Highness," Jakob interrupted. "Sakura does not know the customs of the land, and may very well fall short of her destination. Furthermore, Notre Sagasse is quite a distance away, and the neighboring territories WILL notice if you send too many soldiers there."
"Silence!" Iago cut in.
"No, he has a point. Continue," Garon replied.
"Thank you, Your Highness. A lone Hoshidan will draw unwanted attention to her mission. A Hoshidan princess with a butler and a guide will look less threatening. As Effie is from Nohr, I propose that she act as Sakura's guide."
"Absolutely preposterous!" Iago spat out. "Since when do Hoshido nobles come to Nohr?"
"If she goes to Notre Sagasse under the pretext of a pilgrimage, it will sound believable," Jakob replied.
"Very well," Garon said, stroking his beard. "You will leave tomorrow."

---

"SAKURA!" Elise bounded towards her, something in her hands. "What do you think of my handwriting?" she said, far too loudly for the confines of Sakura's room.

"Don't worry about us, Sakura! Get back to Hoshido as soon as possible! --Hana"

"W-where did you get this from?!" Sakura demanded. Elise put a finger to her lips. "Uh, I've never seen such flowery script! Who taught you how to write like this?" Elise snatched the note and tossed it into the fire, grinning happily. Then, she sat next to Sakura, holding the crying girl's hand.
"I know Garon will never let you go down to the prisons, but I can sneak in. I slipped them some paper, and the girl wrote that for you. The guy would've written something, but his hand's busted," Elise whispered. Sakura took her sleeve to her face, wiping her rapidly-cooling tears away.
"T-thank you," she whispered back.
"You're taking good care of Effie, so it's the least I can do."

---

Arthur glanced around before motioning to Elise.  To think that a princess would have to sulk around in her own home!  She'd be confined to her room if she was caught, and that's if luck was on her side.  The duo slipped down the stairs to the prison.  By now, the two prisoners were accustomed to seeing them, so they kept silent.

"She knows," Elise whispered.  The girl nodded mutely, while the guy turned in his sleep.  Elise pointed to her hand.  The girl shook her head.  Slipping herbs down into the prison was risky, but if something wasn't done soon, the man was in danger of losing his life.  Though the cell was as chilly as the night air outside, the man's forehead was soaked in sweat.  Elise handed the girl a small satchel of herbs.  It wouldn't be enough to combat the infection, but it would give the man a fighting chance at life.  She handed a second parcel over, this one wrapped in plain cloth, dirty on the outside.  This time, the girl shook the man awake.  The two of them nodded their thanks at the extra bread.  Without a word, Elise and Arthur made their way back to the castle proper.

Once alone, Hana gently pressed the herbs to Subaki's hand, using the cloth to keep it in place.  "Why is she being so nice?" Hana mused.
"Trying to get Sakura to let her guard down?" Subaki answered.  Hana shook her head.
"That's far too much effort.  She could just as easily lie without going through all the trouble."  Subaki rubbed the bandage in grime.  The pressure hurt, but if the guards saw a clean bandage, the gig would be up.  He quietly slipped the satchel into one of his own pouches.
"Nohrians are a hard bunch to read.  That girl has something planned, and wants to keep us alive for whatever reason.  We can use this to our advantage."  Hana's eyes went wide at Subaki's words.
"Don't say things like that!" she snapped.  "We're going to get out of this alive!"  Subaki shook his head.
"You're too naive for your own good," he grumbled.

---

The sight of her familiar pink canopy caused Elise to grin like a kid.  She'd made another trip without getting caught!  The herbs she'd snagged were topical painkillers.  If she was to fight the infection properly, she'd need to create a tea.  The ingredients for that were under much more scrutiny.  Hopefully, the bits of food she'd been able to save from her dinner would be enough to keep them alive.  Nohr was infamous for being outright cruel to their prisoners - something she'd change as soon as Xander assumed the throne.  Out of her siblings, her oldest brother would be the most likely to implement her ideas regarding prison reform.

After all, if they were going to sleep under Nohr's roof, they might as well make themselves useful!

---

Unlike her previous trip, this one was mostly monster-free.  Between Jakob's knives and Effie's lance, Sakura felt safe.  She needed to remind herself to pay attention in battle.  Perhaps Jakob could demonstrate some of his throwing prowess when they had some free time.  She yelped as she bumped into Effie.  With a sheepish grin, she looked up at something that definitely hadn't been there earlier.

"W-what is this fort?" Sakura said to herself. Jakob ran back, his cheeks flushed.
"Soldiers are in the fort! They're from Hoshido, too. I also heard reports of a prisoner being kept in the fort, as well." Sakura's brow furrowed.
"Milady, we need to pass through that fort, whether we like it or not," Effie chimed in.
"Very well. I'll see if I can talk some sense into them," Sakura replied, her knees shaking.

---

"T-that's Lady Sakura!" one of the guardsmen exclaimed.
"Look, she's with some Nohrian troops. She's turned traitor!" another one called out.
"W-wait!" Sakura yelled. Before she could continue, someone threw her to the ground. Arrows whizzed above her head.
"They aren't interested in talking! We have to fight!" Effie yelled.

---

Azura's natural agility kept her two steps ahead of the guards.  Thanks to their sloppy security, she had no issues palming a key and freeing herself.  Now, she slowly made her way through the abandoned halls, looking for any sort of exit - or any sort of weapon.  The idea of gutting her former countrymen didn't appeal to her, but neither did the thought of being hung outside as an "example".  From the whispers, she surmised that none of her adopted siblings had ordered this.  At least, those that she could account for.  Perhaps Sakura had ties to Nohr that she didn't know about, and they were--

"She's over here!"  Azura turned around and ran, tripping over a locked box.  Against her better judgment, she wrestled the lid open, destroying the key she'd previously stolen.  The sight of a naginata caused her to gasp.  What was something like this doing in Nohrian territory?  The sound of footsteps was enough for her to discard her thoughts, and run.

---

On Sakura's orders, the trio did their best to avoid fighting if at all possible.  Thus, they cowered in a corner.  Though Effie would've much preferred to spit-roast her enemies, she was accustomed to following odd orders from a girl younger than her.  Elise probably would've said the same thing, if she was in this type of situation.  She cocked her head, as the sound of footsteps approached, then faded.

"Go that way.  She couldn't have gone far," a voice echoed down the hallway.
"And when we find her?" another voice piped up.
"Kill her.  She's in Nohrian territory.  It'll be easy enough to explain that to Prince Ryoma.  Then he'll have no choice but to brand her a traitor."  As the voices moved away, the three looked at each other.

"Are they talking about you, milady?" Jakob asked.
"Perhaps," Sakura mumbled.  "But would my brother do that to me?"
"Maybe not," Effie whispered.  "Didn't they have a prisoner?"  Footsteps again echoed down the hall.  Unlike the others, they weren't accompanied by the clanking of armor - and they were headed towards the group.  Sakura froze, unsure of what to do next.
"Sakura?" a familiar voice asked.  Effie held the newcomer at lance point.
"State your name," she said flatly.
"Azura!" Sakura exclaimed.  She grimaced as her adopted sister stepped into the torchlight.  Her long hair ran down her shoulder in disheveled tangles, and her beautiful white dress was marred with stains ranging from dirt to blood to things Sakura didn't want to think about.  Bruises decorated her face, the freshest one just above her eyebrows.
"I'm sorry for startling you," Azura said softly.  "But what are you doing with Nohrians?"
"It's a long story.  Why are you all the way out here?"  Azura shook her head.
"With Her Highness' passing, there were some rumors that it was the work of foreigners.  I was take as a prisoner because I'm adopted," Azura explained.  "Behind the royal family's back, of course."  Sakura's gaze found the ground.
"Excuse me milady, but we need to go.  It sounds like the soldiers will be here soon."  The girl looked up, fury in her eyes.
"Those that would raise their weapons against one of my siblings are no Hoshidans I know," Sakura said grimly.  "If they're willing to go against the royal family's wishes, they must be stopped."
"Sakura?  Are you okay?"  Effie shrank back as Sakura glared at her.
"Now that I know the truth, I cannot waver.  If I show them mercy, they will continue to spread their lies!  I can't let that happen!"  Sakura's voice shook with each word.  "For the sake of my dear brothers and sisters, I will stop these traitors!"  Tears punctuated her statement.
"Hey, Effie," Jakob whispered.  "We're on our own."
"Excuse me?"
"Lady Sakura's in no shape to fight, and who knows if the newcomer can pull her weight.  We're going to have to protect those two if we want to make it out of this mess alive."  The two Nohrians looked up as something distinctly wooden hit the floor.
"Princes and princesses must make themselves useful on the battlefield in Hoshido," Azura said coldly, lance in hand.
"Then keep an eye on your sister," Jakob replied, his voice just as icy.
"Save it for the enemies," Effie grumbled.  She stabbed the first thing that came around the corner, a Hoshido swordsman dressed for skirmishing.  A throwing knife forced the spear fighter to halt his charge.  Before Effie could free her lance, the spearman went down, blood spraying from his newly-slit throat.  Jakob arched an eyebrow at Azura.
"Just protecting Sakura," she explained calmly.
"I-it's okay," Sakura said, breathing heavily.  "I'll f-fight, too."  She unsheathed Yato.
"They were working together!" a soldier explained.  Whatever else he wanted to say was cut off by his screams, as blood poured from a nasty gash near his neck.  Effie sighed and impaled the man, granting him a far more merciful death.
"These corridors are narrow.  Let's use that to our advantage," Effie called out.

---

Sweat mingled with tears as Sakura watched Effie execute the last traitor.  She looked down at her own hands, stained with Hoshidan blood.  Jakob had stepped outside to scout the surrounding area, while Azura admired a staff she'd pilfered from another locked box.

"Why. . .why did this have to happen?" Sakura sobbed.  "I--I ordered their deaths. . .they were. . ."
"Not everyone approved of my adoption," Azura said softly, putting the staff down.  She put her hands on the younger girl's shoulders.  Sakura buried her head in her sister's shoulder.
"I'm very sorry to interrupt," Jakob said briskly, putting a hand on Azura's other shoulder.  "But it seems we have company.  Another group of Hoshidans are headed this way.  We're in no shape to fight them off."
"Very well," Azura replied.  "Sakura, we'll have time to mourn them later.  We need to get out of here."  Sakura nodded, her small frame heaving with sobs.

---

Takumi swallowed hard as the smell of blood greeted him.  Hoshidan bodies littered the floor.  Most of them had been impaled.  He picked up a discarded throwing knife, its blade catching the torchlight that illuminated the room.  Definitely a Nohrian knife.  He glared at an empty supply box.  Whoever did this was also a thief.  Something glinted in the corner of the box.  Takumi gingerly lifted a couple of teal-colored strands of hair that had been left in the box.

"Did you find anything, sir," one of his commanding officers asked.
"Trouble," he replied gruffly.  "What's beyond this fort?"
"A city, milord."
"Let's go.  The culprits will most likely be there.  We'll bring them to justice."

Edited by eclipse

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 10

"What are Hoshido's troops doing here?" Sakura asked Azura, the former's hands gripping Yato's hilt.
"Perhaps they want to avenge their fallen comrades. We weren't exactly gentle with the detachment in the fort," Azura replied. "And I'm sure they'd want me as a prisoner. . .or worse." Footsteps snapped both back to reality.
"SAKURA! What are you doing with these Nohrians?!" Sakura let out a whimper. She KNEW that voice!
"Takumi? Takumi! What are you doing here?" she said, breathless.
"I heard reports that you were moving with Nohrian troops. It looks like they were accurate," he said, his voice devoid of warmth. "I'll have to take you back to Hoshido. . .whether you like it or not."
"W-wait!" Sakura shouted, but to no avail. Her brother disappeared between the ranks of the soldiers he commanded.
"Well, well, that's quite the mess you've created," an unfamiliar voice chimed in. A man with an eyepatch stood with a hand on his hip. Another man, dressed in garb that left little to Sakura's imagination, stood next to the one with the eyepatch.
"W-who are you people?" she stammered.
"Niles? Odin? Aren't you supposed to be with Prince Leo?" Effie asked, surprise in her voice.
"We were here on other business, but then we heard that Hoshidans were here. I couldn't resist the urge to. . .play with them," the man with the eyepatch said, a smile on his face.
"The time for small talk has passed, Niles," the questionably-dressed man cut in. "It is time for us to bear our might against these foul invaders! I, Odin Dark, shall smite them where they stand!"
"A-are they always like this?" Sakura whispered to Effie.
"Unfortunately," Effie whispered back.

---

Despite their introductions, Leo's retainers were every bit as capable as Effie, Jakob, and Azura. Odin stayed with Sakura, sometimes whispering advice on how to leverage Yato, and sometimes taunting the enemy with flowery language. Niles manned the ballista, shooting down any Sky Knight unfortunate enough to enter his range.

"My, my, you've attracted quite the crowd." The owner of the voice rode a scaled beast which was over twice as long as Sakura was tall. Long purple hair cascaded down a suit of armor that accentuated its rider's feminine charms.
"Camilla? You too?" Sakura said, her voice shaking due to fatigue and surprise.
"Why yes. I heard that there were Hoshidans far too close to Nohr, so I came to verify those rumors.. I see they're bent upon ruining this little town, so of course I had to help out!" the older woman replied. "I'll explain after this little spat is over. For now, keep the enemies away from the town center!" Sakura nodded, then turned back to the battle before her.

---

Sakura's breathing came ragged, as the last of the invaders regrouped outside of the town square. Most of the fallen stayed put. One, however, continued to move. Sakura walked over, replacing her sword with her staff. The healing light flickered for a few moments, before bathing the person on the ground in its soft light. The figure slowly regained his knees.

"Aren't you. . .a traitor?" Hinata asked slowly, as the wounds on his midsection closed. He moved his arms, and winced.
"I. . .I can't return. . .not right now. . ." Sakura replied, equally slowly.
"Don't move," Takumi's voice cut in. Sakura looked up, and was greeted by the point of an arrow.
"Are you Hoshidans always so rude," Camilla said, appearing behind Takumi. "And here she went through the trouble of healing one of your soldiers."
"What would you know, Nohrian scum?" A woman limped next to Takumi, holding her arm. Blood oozed from between her fingers.
"Oboro? You shouldn't be moving! Hold still, I'll heal you--"
"I SAID DON'T MOVE!" Takumi yelled. He gasped as a knife appeared next to his throat.
"Why don't you stand down like a good little boy, and let Sakura do her magic, hmmm? Or do you want to die in front of your underlings?"
"Leave Lord Takumi alone!" Oboro managed to shout, as she fell to her knees. Blood pooled around her. Sakura used the momentary distraction to activate the staff. Oboro's glare didn't falter as the pool of blood slowed, then stopped.
"Lord Takumi?" Camilla said, her tone almost teasing. "So, you adorable kids are his retainers?" Two glares answered her question. "Very well. Just how far would you Hoshidan retainers follow your liege?"
"To the depths of hell! Not that you Nohrian scum would know anything about loyalty!" Oboro shouted.
"What does it matter to you?" Hinata demanded.
"So that's how Hoshidan retainers are?" Camilla looked pointedly at Sakura, then back at the two that Sakura had healed. "Who would've thought?" The knife disappeared from Takumi's throat. She looked at him, a small smile on her face. Takumi's gaze flickered between Sakura and Camilla, before fixing the older woman with a glare.
"Hinata. Oboro. We're leaving," he said flatly.
"But milord--" Hinata started.
"That's an order!" He turned back to Sakura, her expression one of pure confusion. "You have a lot of explaining to do once you return to Hoshido," he said flatly, before abruptly turning away a second time. Sakura started after her brother, but a hand on her shoulder stopped her.
"Leave them be," Camilla said softly. "I have no idea how I'm supposed to explain that staff work of yours to father," she said sternly. "But you DID keep this territory out of Hoshidan hands, so perhaps I'll forget what happened."
"Because," Sakura whispered, low enough so that only Camilla heard her, "he'll repay a life with a life. And I gave him two that he needs to pay me back for." Shock registered on Camilla's face, before settling onto a smile.
"You're a lot more clever than you let on," she whispered back. She hopped on the back of her wyvern. "I need to report back to my father. He won't be happy about the news of the incursion."

---

"We could've taken her back!" Oboro insisted.
"At what cost?" Takumi countered.
"What does cost have to do with this?" Hinata interjected.
Takumi sighed, glad that no one else was around. "When was the last time you saw Hana and Subaki?" His retainers looked at each other, then back to their liege.
"You don't mean. . ." Hinata trailed off.
"That's the only reason I can think of. Otherwise, Sakura wouldn't have had a reason to stay and fight. That girl cares far too much about others sometimes," Takumi said, shaking his head.
"You mean that purple-haired harlot KNEW?!" Oboro fumed.
"I can't tell what her motives are. Perhaps she'll use Sakura's compassion for her own ends. Or perhaps she's trying to help her. Regardless, she was willing to let the two of you live. We might be able to use that to our advantage at a later date, since that's technically aiding the enemy." The trio fell silent.
"What do we do now?" Oboro asked.
"We report this failure to Ryoma. But at least we know that Azura's with the enemy. I guess we should've imprisoned her ourselves, but it's too late for that."

---

"You really do need to be more careful, milady," Jakob chided, as he mended the last of Azura's wounds.
"I had to do my part," Azura replied flatly.
"And what if your stubbornness causes you to fall in battle?  Think of how Lady Sakura would feel!"  Azura shot Jakob an icy glare.
"Are Nohrian princesses made of glass?  Or perhaps the men of Nohr have no respect for women?" she snapped.
"Foolishness will get you killed.  This is drilled into the head of every proper Nohrian," Jakob spat out.  "I suppose Hoshidans have no regard for their lives or the feelings of others."
"We do our best in everything, and live life with no regrets."  Jakob rolled his eyes.
"If you carry on like this, your life will be quite short."
"Shout a little louder, you two, and the world will think you're married."  Niles strolled leisurely towards them, a grin on his face.
"Weren't you supposed to leave?" Jakob growled.
"Oh, why would I want to go back so soon?  This town has a lot to offer.  They have great inns here.  The beds are quite soft.  Perfect for a couple like you."  Azura's gaze darted between Niles and Jakob.
"Nohrian men are useless," she grumbled, before walking off.  Jakob shot a glare at Niles, then followed after her.
"Did you have to be so harsh on the lovebirds?" Odin asked.
"I couldn't help myself.  They make such a cute couple," Niles said with a chuckle.
"You aren't--" Odin started.
"They're going to get married. Mark my words."

• 3 months later...

Wow, three months already?

---

Chapter 11

"According to the locals, the Rainbow Sage is at the top of this mountain, milady," Jakob said, adjusting his cravat. Sakura nodded wordlessly.
"You don't look so good. Are you okay?" Azura asked, worry in her voice.
"I-I'll be fine," Sakura said shakily. "Besides, I can't do anything about Notre Sagasse until I meet the Rainbow Sage."
"Remember, you're on a pilgrimage," Jakob reminded her. "You're still a Hoshidan priestess, even if your circumstances have changed." The girl nodded wordlessly, as the group headed towards the mountain.

---

"This place is known for its trials and illusions. . .or at least, that's what I heard around town," Effie said briskly. "I also heard that both Ryoma and Xander have visited this place before." Sakura's knees shook at the mention of her older brother's name.
"Ryoma did? I-I need to be strong. For everyone!" Effie shot her a pained smile.
"Don't push yourself too hard. The climb won't be easy."

---

"She's not accustomed to such a climb," Azura noted.  Jakob nodded.
"At this rate, we'll have to camp at the base of the tower."  The pair looked up at the tower, and the staircase that greeted them.
"I think we'll see a lot more of those," Azura grumbled.  "Since Sakura's not doing too well, I'll do the scouting."
"Are you daft?" Jakob cut in.  "You'll rouse the whole tower with your recklessness!  I'll go instead.  A good butler shouldn't be seen."
"Then I guess you're not a good butler," came the woman's reply.
"Cut it out, you two," Effie growled.  "Take turns or something."  The bickering pair looked at each other.  Jakob shrugged in resignation.
"Don't blame me if we have to fight our way to the top."

---

"Huh. They didn't follow me down the stairs," Jakob commented, wiping sweat from his brow.
"It's my turn," Azura said, far more softly and gently than Jakob expected. "The enemies paid me no heed, so I can go up the next set of stairs." Jakob opened his mouth to protest, but Azura had already ascended.
"They're getting along nicely," Effie commented idly to Sakura.  "Relatively speaking."
"I'm glad. Those two are far more alike than they care to admit," Sakura whispered back.
"You're almost as bad as Lady Elise." At the mention of the other girl's name, Sakura cocked her head.
"I know Elise sneaks out into town to do things, and cares for others, but what else does she do?" Effie's normally stern expression broke into a grin.
"She pesters her older siblings constantly, whether it be Lady Camilla's unwillingness to marry, Lord Xander's stern expression, or Lord Leo's. . .wardrobe faults. However, she adores each and every one of them, and they have a hard time saying no to her." Sakura stifled a giggle.
"She sounds like a wonderful person." Effie's response was cut short by uneven footsteps. Azura appeared, her clothing marred with blood. She held her arm gingerly.
"Four diviners, and one very stubborn retainer," she gasped out. "Azama's as annoying with a staff as ever."
"So much for stealth.  Hold still, so you don't bleed out." Azura sank to the ground, while Jakob activated a healing staff. The wound on her arm closed, though her dress was still in dire need of cleaning.
"Thank you--where are you going?" Jakob turned to the rest, knife in hand.
"I can't let you have all the fun."

---

True to his word, the next room was littered with four bodies on the floor, and another slumped in a corner. Sakura made a beeline towards the figure in the corner, Effie hot on her heels. Jakob leaned against a wall, blood turning his normally white shirt into a mottled mess.
"You challenged the entire room by yourself," Azura said flatly.
"They will no longer trouble Lady Sakura," he replied, just as flatly.
"Do you realize how dangerous that was?! You've been hit by a cursed rod, no less!" Azura snapped, uncharacteristic volume and emotion in her voice.
"That's what it feels like when YOU run off," he replied through gritted teeth.
"I--ugh. I apologize.  Promise me you won't be so reckless in the future," she said with a heavy sigh.
"You're worried about me," he said softly.  "Are you feeling all right?"
"Well. . .uh, yeah. We're a small group, so we can't afford to lose anyone." Much to her surprise, he tilted her face upwards, so that his eyes met hers.
"Thank you." Jakob gently eased himself to the ground. "I suppose I should conserve what little energy I have, for now."

Azura touched her face, where his hands had been a moment earlier. She quickly turned away, her cheeks burning. "What has gotten into me?"

Once he was alone, Jakob stared at his hands, before glancing back at Azura's retreating form.  "Why am I so worried about her?"

---

"Why would this place give me Azama as an illusion? Surely it could've conjured something more realistic?" Sakura mused.
"I assure you, I'm no illusion," Azama insisted. "Your healing magic worked on me, no?"
"Can't argue with that logic," Effie grumbled.
"Oh, you must be one of the Nohrians that's corrupting sweet Sakura. If you leave Sakura with us, we'll let you go home unharmed. Why are you pointing that at my neck?"
"If you're not an illusion, then stabbing you would mean that you die for real," Effie replied coldly. "And if I'm a horrible Nohrian, that's what I'm supposed to do, right?"
"Effie, p-please stop! That's one of my sister's retainers!" Sakura shrieked.
"Your sister has the worst taste in retainers. This one walks around with his foot in his mouth!" Azama chuckled.
"You're in the middle of the enemy, and yet you can still crack jokes. You Nohrians never cease to amaze me." Effie shot Sakura a pained look. Sakura shook her head.
"Just stay here, and don't try to move too much. You'll live, but you're in no shape to fight," Sakura said.
"You broke the only thing I could've used in a fight," Azama said bitterly. Effie put her spear down, and waved sarcastically. The climb wasn't over yet!

---

"Don't bother. The Rainbow Sage isn't here," Hinoka said, anger in her voice.
"Hinoka? Why are you frowning?" The older girl's face turned as red as her hair.
"You injured one of my retainers and several of my soldiers! And yet you refuse to come home! Takumi refuses to say what happened between the two of you, Azura follows you like a lost puppy, and Ryoma's furious! WHY WOULDN'T I BE UPSET?!" Sakura shrank back from her sister's outburst.
"If I stay. . .or if I go. . .someone will suffer. . ." Sakura said slowly. Azura put her hand on the younger girl's shoulder, and shook her head.
"My apologies, Hinoka, but we have our own business that needs to be attended to for the time being. Please send our deepest apologies to everyone else. Once we've finished everything, we'll gladly return to Hoshido."
"Do you think. . .after everything. . .it'll all just be the same?! Gods, Sakura, you've been seen following Nohrians, willingly! Some already call you a traitor!"
"But if I leave. . .ahh. . ." The pink-haired girl sank to her knees, and sobbed. "Why did it have to be like this?" Azura's eyes narrowed.
"Hinoka, you need to get everyone out of here, now. Someone else is climbing this mountain as we speak. He'll gladly paint the walls with your blood." Hinoka's shoulders slumped.
"We'll continue this later. . .Sakura." The younger girl looked up, but only saw the retreating figure of her older sister.
"What a sad reunion," another voice rasped. An old man stood where Hinoka had been moments before. "I couldn't dare interrupt such a thing!"
"I saw you in town!" Effie blurted out.
"A person's true character is revealed when they see me as a stranger, and not as some powerful old man."
"But what of the others on the mountain?" Azura asked. The old man closed his eyes.
"There. That should keep them busy for a while. Now, what did you need from me, bearer of Yato?"
"Y-you knew?" Sakura gasped. The old man nodded.
"Why yes, the blade itself has a very unique signature. Would you mind taking it out, for this old man's sake? Ah, good." Blue light flickered up and down the blade's edge.
"And. . .done. Yato no longer sleeps. But I. . .I need to rest. . ." Jakob gently lowered the old man, then jumped backwards at the figure that had assisted him.
"A Hoshidan?" he yelped, knife at ready.
"If I meant you harm, you'd all be in a pool of your own blood," the figure said evenly.
"Kaze? Why are you doing this? Aren't you--" Kaze held up a hand.
"When I saw Yato fly towards you, I knew that your path would take you outside of Hoshido. With the blessing of the Rainbow Sage, I'm positive that I'll get the answers I want by staying here, with you." The group exchanged looks.
"Why should we trust you?" Effie said bluntly.
"What choice do I have? I voluntarily stayed behind without the rest of the Hoshidan army, which means I'm alone in enemy territory. If I don't find allies, I'll be captured, tortured, and killed."
"Still, this is uncharacteristically bold of you," Azura replied. "That's the kind of thing I expect from your brother."
"I guess it runs in the family," he said, a wry grin on his face.  Azura giggled at his answer. Jakob's grip on his knife turned his knuckles white.
"There's no way King Garon would approve of having a Hoshidan on my side, ever," Sakura said flatly.
"He doesn't have to know. We ninja are experts at hiding, after all." With those words, Kaze faded into the shadows.
"If you so much as harm a hair on Lady Sakura's hair, I'll make you wish you were captured by King Garon," Jakob growled. Footsteps rang through the room.
"Oh, you're already here," Iago said flatly. "And what of the mission?" Sakura looked down at the unmoving body of the old man.
"He died before I could get an answer," she said, no emotion in her voice. "Unless there's some sort of succession ritual I don't know about, King Garon should have no problems taking this place in the name of Nohr." Iago snorted at the answer.
"And you didn't even bloody your hands," Iago grumbled. "Very well. You are to return to Nohr with due haste. We have arranged for a ship to take you back as soon as possible."

---

"How did you know that Iago was coming?" Sakura asked Azura, once they'd finished their descent.
"The stairs we climbed were a mixed blessing.  They carried the sound of clanking metal upwards."
"Right," Sakura mumbled.  "Your hearing is unmatched.  That's why you're so good at singing."
"If you practice, you'd be good at it, too!" Azura said lightly.

Kaze hung back, and bit his lip, remembering what happened the last time someone tried to give Sakura voice lessons.  Some things were best left alone.

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 12

"Here. Drink this." Sakura gingerly accepted the cup that Azura offered. Whatever it was smelled horribly bitter.
"Are you sure this is necessary?" the younger girl asked, her face scrunched with displeasure.
"This cough has taken half of Iago's troops. We can't afford to be sick. Jakob, Effie, and I have already downed this tea," Azura continued. With a sigh, Sakura held her breath and upended the cup.

---

"Your orders. . .are to stay in Macarath. . .until we've resupplied," Iago gasped out, his pale face flushed. Sakura met his bloodshot eyes, and nodded grimly.
"Is there anything we can do to help you, sir?" she asked politely.
"Just leave me be!" he managed to yell. With a quick bow, Sakura exited the room. Much to her surprise, her other companions were outside of the door.
"We're to wait here until further notice," Sakura told them.
"We might be here for a while," Jakob noted. "Everyone that isn't us has taken ill."
"What did you put in that tea?" Effie asked Azura. "It tasted like death!"
"Just some herbs that I had the good fortune to come across," Azura answered, a small smile on her face.
"'scuse me, is this where Iago is?" The new arrival leaned against a wall, panting heavily.
"Yes, but what business do you have with him?" Sakura asked.
"No time! Let me in!" Before anyone could say anything, the girl barged past everyone. "WHAAAT?!" Sakura followed, and gasped. Though she held no love for Iago, she wasn't prepared to see him face-down on the ground. Azura ran to the fallen man, and put a hand on his forehead.
"He's burning up," she said, no emotion in his voice.
"Can't we move him to a bed?" Sakura demanded. "It feels wrong to leave him like this."
"WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT!" the girl shrieked. "Hoshidan troops have invaded Macarath, and I left Laslow there all by himself!"
"This is the best I can do," Effie said, before dropping Iago on a nearby couch.
"We'll take care of Hoshido's incursion. Please, get some rest," Sakura told the limp form of Iago. As the five exited the room, Iago's eyes cracked open.
"Curse this. . .illness. . .why do I have to trust that whelp. . ."

---

"LASLOW!" the girl shouted, causing everyone besides the young man in question to pause.
"Hey, nice timing, Peri! I left some for you!" the young man shouted back. With a disturbingly girlish giggle, Peri freed her lance and impaled the nearest enemy Hoshidan. The others backed away. One ran back down the hall, somehow keeping his feet despite the thin coating of blood on the floor.
"These are our reinforcements? Iago's sure stingy," Laslow grumbled.
"I beg your pardon?" Effie growled.
"I, uh, mean, it's good to see you here, Effie!" the mercenary stammered. "Who are the beautiful ladies with you--EEEP!" Effie's lance tip planted itself against Laslow's throat.
"M-my name is Sakura. It's nice to meet you."
"My name is Azura. Shouldn't we be focusing on the enemy, instead of fighting?" Azura commented. Sure enough, the enemy returned.
"B-brother?!" Sakura spat out.
"It's good to see you, Sakura," Ryoma said coldly. "You've fought your other siblings, and have Hoshidan blood on your hands. What do you have to say for yourself?" Sakura instinctively shrank back from her older brother's gaze.
"I-I can't go home yet, and I don't want to see my friends killed!" she replied, her voice wavering. "Please, just leave us alone!"
"It's far too late for that," the older man said. "You know your duty as a princess."
"NO! If I can't save those who are dear to me. . ." she trailed off.
"It was those same Hoshidans who imprisoned me. . .brother," Azura said, her even voice at odds with the daggers she glared.  Much to Sakura's surprise, Ryoma took a step backwards.
"I serve Lady Sakura. Those who threaten her will be dealt with," Jakob chimed in sourly.
"You Hoshidans would spill my guys just because I'm from Nohr. I refuse to die because of that," Effie replied, her voice betraying no emotion.
"That's enough!" Ryoma interjected. "If you side with Nohr, you're my enemy! Do you understand?"
"I side with my conscience!" Sakura shouted.
"Then there is no more to discuss. I will cut you down, traitor!"

---

"Lord Ryoma! They're headed for the supply room!" Kagero shouted.
"What is the meaning of this?" Ryoma demanded. Azura turned to him.
"As I escaped my imprisonment with my life, so I will allow you to escape with yours. The troops we were with carry a coughing plague with them. If you dally too long, you'll catch it - and even you should know that falling ill while in enemy territory is a tactical blunder."
"And how are you unaffected by it?"
"Remember that tea we had to drink when the plague hit Shirasagi Castle?" Azura replied. Ryoma's eyes went wide.
"Very well. But next time we meet, I WILL bring you to justice. Everyone, fall back!" Sakura breathed a sigh of relief as the Hoshidan troops departed.
"Why don't I remember that?" Sakura asked Azura, as the latter riffed through the various herbs.
"You were barely old enough to talk back then," she replied. "I'm glad you don't remember it. I'm also glad that Mother taught me how to make it," she continued. She removed several pouches of herbs. "That should do it. I don't have enough to cure the army, but this should help Iago."

---

"A Hoshidan invasion? Here?! And you didn't kill them all?!" Iago demanded, from his bed.
"My apologies, sir. I wanted to return to you immediately," Sakura said quietly.
"A likely story," he wheezed.
"We came back, with enough medicine to bring your fever down. A healer doesn't discriminate based on their patient's nationality," she added. Iago replied with a coughing spasm, that shook his already emaciated form.
"All of you will be staying here, until we're well enough to march. Is that clear?"
"Excuse me, sir, but someone needs to report your whereabouts to King Garon," Peri cut in. "Since I've got a horse, I can get to the capital the fastest."
"Very well," Iago said, clearing his throat.
"Shall I leave you to rest?" Sakura asked gingerly.
"Go, and don't cause any more trouble."

---

As the last of Ryoma's troops filtered out, Saizo's eye was drawn to a curious shadow in the bushes.  Though it was a dense bush, the shadow was far too solid to be leaves.  He threw a kunai into the bush, then readied another when he heard the sound of metal on metal.

"Nice to see you too," a voice growled from the shadows.  In moments, a familiar figure stood up.
"You.  We're to kill you on sight," Saizo said flatly.
"By whose orders?" Kaze replied, his voice far too light for the situation.
"That's none of your business!"
Kaze chuckled at his brother's words.  "You could kill me now, blame it on the Nohrians, and no one would mourn my passing," he mused.
"What's taking so long--huh?  What are you doing here, Kaze?"
Kaze shook his head at Kagero's words.  "I can't tell you that."  Saizo tightened the grip on his kunai as the two gazed at each other for a moment too long.
"Right.  Silly question," Kagero mumbled.  "You're deep in enemy territory, with very little chance of escape.  If anyone can do this, you can," she said softly.
"Worried about me?  I'll be back," he said with a touch of arrogance.  Saizo cleared his throat.
"You'd best be.  I haven't forgiven you for beating me in the last training session!"  Kagero turned to Saizo.  "Or you."
"We're not kids!" Saizo snapped.
"It's something I look forward to," came the reply, complete with an innocent, feminine giggle.  Kaze smirked as his brother's face turned red.
"The two of you had best be off.  It would be a shame if you had to swim to Hoshido," Kaze said, playfully pushing the duo towards the door.  Once Kaze was out of earshot, the two exchanged a worried look.
"A mission so secret that no one will admit to sending him," Kagero said, taking a deep breath.  "What has he gotten himself into?"  Saizo's eye snapped open.
"Not a word of this to Lord Ryoma," he whispered.  Kagero blinked a few times.  Saizo leaned in.  "Where was Kaze's last known whereabouts?"  Her eyes went wide.
"Lord Ryoma doesn't need to know."

Chapter 13

The luxury of Macarth was a comforting sight, but the veneer wore out after the first few days. Laslow had taken to throwing knives at a target, and one that he was surprisingly good at. Effie continued her physical training regimen, while Azura sang during the daylight hours and worked on her lance techniques. Jakob busied himself with medicine preparations, under Sakura's direction, though it was never long enough to stave off the boredom.

"Keep it steady. . .that's good!" Laslow commented, as Sakura let her arms fall limp. "If you're going to wield some sword of legend, you'll want to do so without your arms shaking after two minutes."
"Why does it have to be so heavy?" Sakura complained, as she rubbed her forearms.
"It wouldn't be much of a sword if it weighed the same as a sheet of paper!" Laslow joked back. A clang of metal, followed by familiar bellowing cut their conversation short.
"WHAT ARE THE TWO OF YOU DOING?!" Effie yelled, her voice loud and clear from across the courtyard. "You can't spar effectively by pulling your strikes!" Laslow and Sakura hurried over, unable to resist the ensuing drama. Azura and Jakob looked up at the larger girl sheepishly.
"We can't afford to lose someone as important as Lady Azura to a training mishap," Jakob said deferentially.  Azura arched an eyebrow at his words.
"DO YOU THINK AN ENEMY FEMALE SOLDIER WILL CARE ABOUT YOUR MISPLACED CHIVALRY? FIGHT LIKE YOU MEAN IT!"  Azura planted the butt of her lance into the ground and stood up.
"She's right," she said grimly.  "Pretend I replaced your regular tea with the medicinal one."  She hastily parried Jakob's strike, then disarmed him.
"That's more like it!" Effie roared, as Jakob retrieved his practice lance.  In moments, the two sparred in earnest, Azura's technique making up for Jakob's strength.
"How does she do it?" Sakura whispered to Laslow.  "He's merely stiff and polite to me."
"Who knows," Laslow whispered.  "But they seem fond of each other."
"HEY!"  The two jumped as Effie glowered at them.  "Don't the two of you have better things to do with your time?"
"Y-yes ma'am!" Laslow stuttered.

---

Laslow hung his sword up, a small sigh escaping his lips. He froze when he thought he heard someone cough, but his actions (or lack thereof) were greeted with silence. He took out the knives he'd used for target practice, freezing again when the cough came back. Laslow closed his eyes, and threw one of the knives in the general direction of the sound. Two more knives appeared in his hands when his first knife bounced away, a metallic clang ringing through the room. He kicked the pile of clothes in the corner of the room, and was rewarded with a grunt.

"Who the hell are you?" he demanded, one of the knives aimed at the figure on the ground. The figure coughed, then looked up at him with bloodshot eyes.
"I'm on your side," the man gasped, before another coughing fit seized him.
"A likely story. You're dressed as a Hoshidan, and you were hiding in my room. It wouldn't be so far-fetched to hide in here, wait for me, and kill me," Laslow growled.
"Your room is the furthest from the main army," the figure wheezed. "I can rest here, and I don't have to worry about being found by them."
"Them?" Laslow asked, his eyes narrowing.
"What do you think King Garon would do to Lady Sakura's retainers if he found out that she had a Hoshidan following her?"
"Her what?" Laslow took a few steps back. The figure on the ground slowly rose to a sitting position.
"Lady Sakura listens to King Garon only because her retainers are being held captive. Why else would a Hoshidan princess cooperate with him?" The younger man's hands shook.
"So what compelled you to follow her?" he asked, his voice unsteady.
"She wields Yato. That is all the reason I need." The figure's breathing came in gasps.
"Laslow, it's almost time for--what is the meaning of this?" Jakob looked at the two men, one propped up against a wall and the other holding knives. "My gods, I completely forgot you were there!"
"Then I did my job," the figure said, a smile on his sweat-stained face.
"This will NOT do! Stay put, I'll get something for that cough of yours!" Laslow's eyes followed Jakob's retreating back.
"I guess you're telling the truth," he grumbled. "Name's Laslow."
"My name is Kaze. While I believe it's customary for Nohrians to shake hands, I don't think this is a good time to do so," the figure gasped out. Footsteps pounded towards Laslow's door. Jakob burst through, a package and a kettle in hand.
"You are to drink this, four times a day. And don't even think about complaining about the taste!" Jakob demanded, as he dumped several tea bags on Laslow's desk. Laslow's nose wrinkled as a pungent aroma perfumed the room.
"Can't taste any worse than the crap I'm coughing up," Kaze mused, upending the first cup of tea.

---

"You've got to stop doing that," Laslow grumbled, as Kaze shook himself awake from a pile of dirty laundry. In the week that had passed, Kaze's fever had broken, and the cough only cropped up if he talked for long periods of time. The Hoshidan had decided to stay in Laslow's room, much to the owner's displeasure.
"I must stay hidden as much as possible, lest someone finds out I'm here," the other man grunted.
"WHEN was the last time you washed your clothes?" Laslow grumbled.
"Excuse me?" came the reply.
"Look, I can track you by scent, and that's not gonna help you stay hidden. Go take a bath, and use some of my extra clothes. You might be able to walk around without having to worry about people staring or something."
"What about these?" Kaze asked, pointing to his own clothes. Laslow looked at him, then the fireplace. Kaze groaned.
"This shirt was just getting comfy, too," he said with a sigh.

Once Laslow was certain that he'd emptied every last shuriken out of the other man's clothes, he went over the garb with his hands, wincing at the smell. If the ninja had kept any orders or other slips of paper, Laslow couldn't find it. He tossed the overly fragrant garments into the fire, all too happy to be rid of them. As if on cue, Kaze came out from the bathroom. Laslow's shirt hugged the other man's chest, while his pants looked ready to burst at the seams.
"Huh. You could almost pass as a Nohrian," Laslow commented.
"Maybe when I get something looser," Kaze gasped out.
"That name of yours screams Hoshidan, though." Kaze closed his eyes.
"My name is Kain. I met with the army after they left Macarth. I had barely escaped the previous Hoshidan attack, and requested protection. How does that sound?"
"Very suspicious," Laslow replied. "But the name should hold, at least." The two walked down to the courtyard, meeting Effie along the way. She gasped when she saw Kaze, then quickly blushed.
"Is something the matter?" Kaze asked.
"I--well--" she stammered.
"My goodness! How could you think about going outside dressed like that?" Jakob glared at the duo.
"It was the only thing available," Kaze replied, trying to shift the pants he wore to a more comfortable position.
"I think you're better suited for my clothes," Jakob added, shoving Kaze towards his room.

Kaze tugged at the collar of his shirt. The butler had been correct about his clothing size, though the shirt was far too formal for his tastes. Sakura and Azura arrived at the courtyard, stopping dead in their tracks at the sight of the ninja-turned-butler.
"How do you do, milady," Kaze greeted.
"You're so dashing!" Sakura exclaimed. Azura giggled her agreement.
"This is Kain," Jakob said stiffly. "He shall assist me in my day-to-day duties," he continued.
"Whose idea was this?" Sakura whispered, once everyone had dispersed to their usual practice places.
"Laslow thought of the name, and Jakob filled in the cover story," Kaze whispered back. "This, too, is part of a ninja's duties."

---

"Another servant?" Garon snapped. Kaze bowed deeply.
"Yes, Your Highness. As there are two princesses in this force, it is only fitting that each one have her own butler," he replied.
"Bah. Sakura! I heard about your. . .incident in Macarth." Sakura stood straight, her gaze unblinking. "It took guts to fight your brother, and secure medicine for the Nohrian army. Therefore, I will excuse your. . .fault at Notre Sagasse." The girl bowed her head.
"Please accept my sincerest apologies for being unable to fulfill your command," she said demurely. Kaze arched an eyebrow.
"Notre Sagasse is a holy spot, not a battleground. This time, I want you to fight. The territory of Cheve is currently resisting my rule. As we speak, Nohrian soldiers battle the rebels. Your job is to root out every last person unwilling to bend their knee to Nohr, and kill them. Do I make myself clear?" Sakura swallowed.
"Y-yes, Your Highness," she gasped out.

---

Laslow hummed merrily as he passed Sakura and Kaze in the halls. Once he was at the double doors in front of the throne room, he cut his merry tune short, straightened his shirt, and went down on one knee before King Garon.
"I heard you stayed behind to assist Sakura in Macarth," Garon said flatly.
"The Hoshidans attacked while I was on an errand for Prince Xander. After that, I was quarantined with the rest of the soldiers," Laslow explained.
"I need someone to keep an eye on Sakura. If she fails to quell the rebellion in Cheve, I want to know immediately." Laslow looked up, his expression grim.
"Understood, Your Highness. Though I would rather not go like this."
"What do you mean?" the king snapped.
"Sakura is from Hoshido, no? So if I look like someone from Hoshido, she's bound to let her guard down around me sooner. I should be able to get more information from her if she's comfortable around me," Laslow explained.
"Very well, do what you must." Laslow raised the mask he'd brought with him, bowed, and exited the throne room.

---

"YOU!" Takumi yelled. Through the last rays of the sun, Sakura saw her brother, next to another woman.
"W-what are you doing here?" Sakura stuttered. "This isn't Hoshidan territory!"
"The enemy of my enemy and all," the other woman commented. "Figured you Nohrians would show up, spoiling for a fight."
"C-can't we just talk this out?" Sakura whimpered.
"'fraid not," the other woman said, hefting an axe. "We'd rather die than bow to the likes of Garon!" Sakura quickly took out Yato, parrying the woman's blow with the divine blade. She winced as the shock of the impact rang through her hands.
"This sword. . .it couldn't be. Takumi, you didn't tell me that this was your sister!" the other woman snapped.
"She no longer fights for Hoshido," Takumi said flatly.
"Follow the divine sword, or fall to its edge," the other woman muttered under her breath. "No matter what, I'll betray Cheve," she said with a sigh. "Very well. I'll surrender myself. For the sake of Cheve," she said dejectedly.
"What is the meaning of this?" Takumi yelled.
"Once, a long time ago, someone consulted the Rainbow Sage about Cheve's future. 'Follow the divine blade, or fall to its edge' was his answer. The one wielding Yato stands before us now. Do you think I'd sacrifice everyone just to test that prophecy?" Takumi's grip on his bow tightened.
"If there's no one in the rebellion, then I don't have to kill anyone!" Sakura said cheerily.
"We've got trouble!" Effie barged in. "Someone let a bunch of monsters loose in Cheve!"
"Monsters? What do you mean?" Sakura asked.
"Just come with me!" Effie snapped, dragging the princess with her.

---

"Th-they're targeting the civilians!" Sakura shrieked. "We've got to he--MMPRH!"
"We'll do no such thing," Laslow whispered, before removing his hand.
"Why? There's people in trouble, and--"
"This is Garon's test. To see if you'll directly interfere with his army of monsters. Fail this, and who knows what he'll do to you - or those you care about," he continued. Much to his displeasure, Sakura sank to the ground.
"It seems that she's fainted," the woman with the axe said wryly.
"Get out of here," Laslow growled.
"Excuse me?" the woman said gruffly. "This is my home, and I will defend it!"
"Can you say the same about him?" the mercenary-turned-ninja commented, motioning towards Takumi. "All hell WILL break loose should the bodies of Hoshidans be found among the corpses today." The woman cursed under her breath.
"If you're worried about Lady Sakura, don't be. We'll protect her," Effie added. "The spirit of Cheve is in its people, not this place. Take the spirit of Cheve, and keep it alive!"
"I do NOT believe this," the woman said. "Your Highness, looks like your vacation's been cut short."
"Thank you for everything, Scarlet," he replied. He turned his gaze to Laslow and Effie. "I will be the one that brings justice to Sakura. Don't you dare let her die before then." Laslow watched the pair retreat.
"Garon will have quite the fit if he finds out," Effie warned.
"These monsters are meant for destruction, not information. We may not be able to protect all of Cheve, but we can keep these few houses intact. After all, Sakura's in one of them, recovering after the rebellion leader snuck up behind her and gave her a swift knock to the back of the head." Effie's eyes went wide, before she nodded.
"The two of you plan to defend this block by yourselves?" an unfamiliar voice asked.
"Why, yes, what does it mean to you?" Laslow shot back.
"I couldn't help but overhear what happened. If a princess rests within one of these houses, then it is my duty as a soldier to keep her safe," the menacing addition observed.
"Huh. A mercenary. We can't pay you right now," Effie said.
"I'm the last of my company. Everyone else fell to those monsters. I've got a score to settle." A crash interrupted the conversation. The monstrosity loomed over the trio, fist headed towards them. Laslow nimbly jumped out of the way, while Effie and the newcomer braced themselves. With a ferocious clang, the monster reeled back. Laslow took the time to pepper the fiend with knives, while Effie readied her lance. After several stabs, the creature fell.
"Huh. Welcome to the team, I guess," Laslow said casually. "You're pretty handy with that shield."
"Name's Benny," the other man grunted. "Introductions later. We've got a princess to keep alive!"

---

"My word, milady, you're a mess!" Jakob exclaimed.  Azura did her best to glare at him through her black eye.
"It's not like you're any cleaner," she scoffed, pointing at the myriad stains on Jakob's shirt.
"Keeping an army alive is messy work.  What's your excuse?"
"Keeping my sister alive is messy work," she shot back.  She shied away as Jakob cleared her hair away from her eye.  "I can do it myself!"
"Your eye isn't in any danger, at least."  He fumbled out a cloth and wet it from his canteen.  "But it should be cleaned properly."  This time, Azura didn't fight, as Jakob gently dabbed the cloth on her wound.
"Why are you being so nice to me?" Azura asked, once Jakob had put away the cloth.
"You're far too reckless for your own good," he insisted.  "If you won't take care of yourself, then it is my duty to make sure that you don't get yourself killed!"  Azura chuckled.
"Is that why you're still holding me?"  Much to her amusement, Jakob backed away, his face uncharacteristically red.
"It was just--" Azura could no longer contain her mirth, and laughed.  "What's so funny?"
"YOU!" she squealed.  "For all that bluster, you really do care about me!"  Jakob's blush became an even deeper shade of red.
"D-don't take it the wrong way!" he insisted.  Azura turned away, her head down.
"You're right.  I didn't consider your feelings.  I'm sorry."  Jakob gasped as she slowly rose and turned away.  Before he could stop himself, his hand was on her shoulder.
"That wasn't what I meant," he said sternly.  She turned to face him.  "You're a very important woman, and it would be a terrible thing should something happen to you."
"Is that it?  I'm just my station?" she snapped.  Jakob stepped back, his face now pale.
"That's not what I meant!  You're a very important woman to me!"  Azura put her hand on her mouth.
"I'm so sorry!  I didn't mean--"  Her reply was cut short by both of Jakob's hands on her shoulders.
"Please don't think too much about it.  I spoke out of turn--huh?"  Her hands slid into his.
"Before I'm a princess, I'm a woman.  Likewise, you're a man before you're a butler.  So what is it that you wanted to say?"  He nervously glanced around, before returning his gaze to her.
"You're the most beautiful, headstrong woman I've ever met, and I want to see what you're like under that exterior of yours."  He smiled as she blushed.
"I could say the same about you," she replied lightly, giving his hands a squeeze.  "But it will have to wait.  If we take any longer, Sakura will worry."  Jakob hastily cleared his throat.
"Y-yes, uh, milady."

Edited by eclipse

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 14

"So you were hit over the head, and as a result, do not know whether or not the rebel leader was among the fallen." Sakura nodded mutely at Garon's words.
"The rebellion has been suppressed, which is what I wanted. The next place you are to go to is Cyrkensia." Sakura looked up, and swallowed hard.
"A-are they against your rule, too?" she asked timidly.
"Nothing of the sort. You are to meet someone in front of the opera house, in a week's time, then report the results of that meeting." The princess breathed a sigh of relief, before the corners of her mouth twitched.
"I'm still a Hoshidan. Wouldn't it be better if one of your own were to go as your representative?" Garon's eyes narrowed, and Sakura shrunk back. "I-I'm sorry! I'll leave right away!" He watched her retreating back, allowing himself a small smile once the girl had left.
"Is this such a wise idea?" Iago asked, from the shadows. "Her loyalties seem. . .fleeting."
"Her true colors are more likely to show if she doesn't think she's under our watch. A neutral territory is best for such a thing," the king said, drumming his fingers together.

---

"Some ugly whispers, huh?" Camilla said calmly.
"Yes, milady," Selena said, her red brows knit.  "That there's a Hoshidan in the inner workings of Nohr, by King Garon's grace."
"Those fools know nothing," Camilla grumbled.
"Those whispers are carried by several nobles," Beruka responded flatly.  "It would be easy enough to execute the traitors, but that would give credence to their words."
"And Father isn't exactly Nohr's most popular king," Camilla mused.  "But those whispers need to be silenced."
"So turn those whispers into a shout," Selena suggested.  "Then, cut their treasonous throats."
"Playing the victim isn't King Garon's style," Beruka said, shaking her head.
"But what about a damsel in distress?  Lady Elise can play that part perfectly," Selena continued.  "She can convince the masses that there's cotton candy between her pigtails."
"Let me think about this," Camilla said abruptly.  "That's my sister you're using as a pawn."  Selena yelped.
"M-my apologies, milady!" she spat out.
"I can't blame you for a crazy idea.  For now, find out who's whispering, and why.  Beruka, stay here.  I have something else I need you to do."  The two bowed, Selena taking her leave first.
"Your orders?" Beruka said in her usual monotone.
"Keep an eye on the prison.  I want to know who goes in and out."  Beruka arched an eyebrow at Camilla's words.  "These prisons were built with Nohrians in mind, not Hoshidans.  Those retainers should be dead by now, yet I hear reports that they aren't.  Someone's keeping them alive, and I want to know who."
"If I catch the traitor?" Beruka asked.
"Report their identity to me.  I will deal with them myself.  Now go!"  Once Beruka was out of sight, Camilla let out a sigh.  If her suspicion was right, it was Nohr aiding Hoshido, not the other way around.

---

"Political intrigue gives me a headache," Severa complained.
"Do you yearn for the simpler times back home?" Owain asked with his usual flourish.
"No use dreaming about that," Inigo grumbled.  "We're not done with this world.  And with that other Sakura's death, we may never be."  The three exchanged a grim look.  They were to protect the elder Sakura, and they had failed miserably.  The stones which should've sent them home had lost their glow upon their charge's death.
"Perhaps some foul villain knew of our mission?"  Severa shot Owain a glare.
"Or maybe Sakura was THAT important," she retorted.
"C'mon you two.  I hoped Yato would be our key back home, but alas."  This time, Severa shot Inigo a glare.
"You're the one traveling with them.  Nothing?"  Inigo shook his head.
"Not even a flicker."
"Then all of us should go with the bearer of Yato!  Perhaps with our powers combined, we--"  Severa glared at Owain's posturing.  "W-well, if that's how you feel, I'll be off.  Farewell, my dearest friends!"
"Did you have to be so harsh on him?" Inigo asked.  Severa's shoulders slumped.
"He's not a bad guy, but he can be SO insensitive!" she complained.  Laslow chuckled, which made her cheeks as red as her hair.  "WHAT'S SO FUNNY?"
"Just the two of you," he said mysteriously, turning to leave.

Severa could only fume at her two friends.  How could they be so dense?!  Someone had DIED, and they hadn't been able to prevent that.  Yet Inigo was perfectly happy being Laslow, and Owain could be Odin the Chatterbox.  But could Selena live down such a failure, if Severa was up in arms about it?

---

"Long time no see." Sakura jumped at the sound of the voice behind her.
"L-Leo?!" she exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"
"A Hoshidan detachment is on their way over here. They are not dressed for merrymaking. What will you do?" he said bluntly.
"How long until they arrive?" Her fingers idly ran through her hair. His eyes narrowed.
"Two hours." She sighed, and looked at his emotionless face.
"See what the enemy leader demands," she replied.
"That's an odd course of action," he said, no emotion in his voice.
"They travel out in the open, so their mission doesn't involve gathering information. Detachments usually aren't sent to conquer places, so that can't be their objective, either. At worst, they're an advanced scouting party, so they'll happily announce who they serve and what they want. I don't think starting a fight in a neutral nation is a good idea, if it can be avoided," she concluded. Leo nodded.
"You Hoshidans are strange. But, if it's customary for them to bellow their objective, instead of taking it, I won't argue. I agree that starting a conflict here would best be avoided. As a prince of Nohr, I will meet them."

---

"State your business," Leo said flatly.
"My name is Kumegara! Release Princess Sakura at once!" the enemy commander yelled.
"She has chosen to aid Nohr of her own will," Leo replied icily.
"LIES! You Nohrians can't be trusted! Men, to arms! We take the princess by force!"
"I knew it would come to this," Leo grumbled. "Alright everyone, we need to protect Cyrkensia!"

---

"MMPH!" Sakura struggled against her wrist bindings, to no avail.
"Real sorry, Your Highness, but orders are orders," Niles said.
"Even Prince Leo thought it to be too cruel to have you fight against your own kinsmen!" Odin added, running a hand through his hair.
"MMRRMHH! MMMMM!"
"Surely we are far enough away from the battle that we can loosen her gag?" Odin asked, looking at the red-faced princess.
"It's your fault if we get yelled at," Niles said reluctantly, before freeing Sakura's mouth.
"Haven't you been paying attention to the shadows?" she snapped.
"What kind of dishonorable tactics would--AAH!" Odin's words were cut short by a shuriken to the back. Niles picked up his bow and fired an arrow from the direction of the shuriken. Much to Sakura's surprise, she heard a grunt.
"You assholes think you can outsneak me? Try again!" Another arrow was fired, a scream coming from the corner.
"Untie my hands!" Sakura demanded.
"I'm busy here!" Niles snapped, a third arrow fired into the wall.
"I need to heal him!" Sakura screamed, inching towards Odin, a pool of blood rapidly meeting her in the middle.
"Fine, but don't run off on me!" he growled, freeing a dagger and cutting her loose. Sakura took out her rod, its healing light absent.
"Oh, not now!" she cried, closing her eyes, searching for the familiar warmth of the staff's magic.
"Well, that's just peachy. At least they're trying not to kill you," Niles muttered, ducking behind Sakura before firing another arrow. A string of curses came from the one-eyed man. "Great. I'm out." He twisted to the side, as a shuriken flew by him.
"Looks like I'm gonna have to get rough with you, milady," he whispered. Before Sakura could object, he cut the ropes around her feet, and grabbed her by the waist. "Time to move you to somewhere safer."
"But what about him?!" she whimpered, motioning towards Odin's unmoving form.
"He'll be safer if we're not here. Let's move!" Niles took five steps before he crashed down on top of her.
"H-hey, that hurt!" Sakura yelled. The other man didn't answer. She rolled him over, and gasped when she saw a pair of shuriken sticking out of his chest. So intent was she on his wounds, that she didn't notice the walls move. Snapping branches caught her attention. Her eyes widened as tree branches reached out, impaling three shadowy figures.
"It seems I mistook the enemy's determination." Sakura met Leo's eyes, then curled up and cried. "What is the meaning of this?" he snapped.
"I-I couldn't save them! I tried, but my staff--it wouldn't work! It's my fault that they--AAAH!" Leo looked down at the two men, and bowed his head.
"The battle is over. The Hoshidans are no longer a threat. Let's go back to Nohr."
"B-but what about them. . .weren't they--"
"They were my retainers, and served Nohr proudly until the end. That's all that matters," Leo replied gruffly. Through her own tears, Sakura thought she saw a glimmer in his eyes.
"R-right. . ." she said, through her sobs.

---

"That's your report?" Garon snapped. "Your carelessness caused you to lose your retainers?!"
"I underestimated their approach," Leo said, his voice even. "Once Sakura had left the room, I checked everything. The shurikens in their bodies matched the shuriken the ninja had. Sakura's staff lay on the floor, next to Odin. The lower part of her dress was bloody, and several arrows were fired from the corner of the room Niles died in. Several shuriken were buried in the wall behind Niles and Odin. Lastly, I arrived right before Niles fell. I personally saw him cut the bonds on her feet, and attempt to take her with him. Thus, her story holds up," he continued.
"Very well. You are dismissed," Garon replied coldly.
"Just a moment. . .Father," Leo spoke up.
"What is it?"
"With your permission, I'd like to travel with Sakura. She will want to make sense of the deaths of those two, and I think I am the best equipped to help her with that. Plus, I have no retainers, which severely limits what I can do. If you want to keep an eye on her, I can do that, too." Garon nodded.
"A wise plan, as usual, my son. I expect to hear everything. Understood?"
"Yes, Father," Leo said, bowing before he exited the room.

---

"How is she doing?" Elise asked Leo, worry in her voice.
"Badly. She's barely eating, and the servants report hearing her scream at night." Elise hung her head.
"I think she's taking their deaths worse than you are," she said, looking at the floor. "What about you?"
"I'll be fine," Leo said gruffly, before turning down the hall.

---

"May I come in?" Sakura looked up from her bedsheets.
"Y-yes," she said softly.
"How are you doing?" Leo asked, sitting in a chair opposite of the bed.
"I'm the chosen of Yato. . .and yet. . .I couldn't save them. . .why?" Leo's lips pursed as Sakura buried her face in her hands. She stopped when he placed his hands on her shoulders.
"This is what happens when people fight. People will die. Surely you know that," he said.
"I-I do, in my head. But I don't like watching people die!" she yelled. Leo sighed.
"You still have people that look up to you. Don't forget about them," he replied. She looked up at him, a small smile gracing her tear-stained cheeks.
"Thanks," she told him, her face much closer to his than he remembered. He swallowed hard.
"N-now if you'll excuse me, I have some things I need to take care of," he said hastily, before leaving her room.

---

The night breeze whistled through Selena's hair.  She walked over to a newly-laid grave, before kneeling next to it and laying a small bouquet down.  She reread the name on the grave, its words slowly blurring beneath her tears.

"Owain. . .you idiot. . .why. . .why didn't you tell me. . ."

She gently clutched a pouch.  Laslow had handed it to her without a word.  The note had been far too flowery for someone like Laslow, and its other contents. . .she closed her eyes, feeling her heart shatter to pieces again.

We've traveled through time, worlds, and who-knows-what else.  But yet we've returned to Ylisse, our beautiful home.  You are the grounding force of my power, and the light that dispels the darkness I harbor deep in my heart.  I would like nothing more than to continue life's adventures by your side, for as long as you'd have me.  No matter how dark the future may seem, I know we can be strong, together.  Will you marry me, my dearest Severa?

---

"Hey, are you SURE that you're only training to be a butler, Kain?" The "person" in question wagged his tail. "Your cooking smells amazing!"
"I suppose we'll have to tell Sakura about this guy sooner or later," Laslow grumbled.
"You can tell her. I've got other things to do, like digging in!" Laslow's eyes went wide as he saw the food on Effie's plate disappear in short order.
"H-hey, save some for me!" he cried out.
"And me too!" Laslow looked between the wolfskin that had followed them here, and Effie, the color draining from his cheeks.
"The two of you eat like pigs, you know that?" he said to himself.
"You gonna eat that?" Effie asked, motioning towards his fish.
"YES! And don't talk with your mouth full!" Effie stopped mid-chew. "Uh, I mean, you're more likely to enjoy your food if you slowed down!" he stammered.
"I can't believe I was lucky enough to find you guys! All your food is delicious!" the wolfskin exclaimed.
"Keaton, we haven't introduced you to the commander yet!" Effie said clearly, despite the volume of food in her mouth.
"Still, I bet she'll just LOVE having me around! Didn't you see how many of those Hoshidans I ripped apart?" Laslow slumped.
"Not over dinner," the mercenary-turned-ninja grumbled.

• 4 weeks later...

This is gonna be an unusually long chapter, so I'm splitting it into parts.

Chapter 15, part 1

Camilla nodded as Beruka delivered her report.  After sending her retainer off of on a time-consuming task, Camilla sat back, and toyed with the various ideas that floated around in her mind.  To reveal Beruka's information would give the questionably-loyal nobles to revolt, something that could not be allowed to pass.  To stop the prisoner's visitors would ensure the death of the Hoshidan retainers, which in turn would turn Sakura into a wild card.  If there was one thing Camilla hated, it was a person whose actions she couldn't predict.  In order to keep Sakura obedient and on Nohr's side, the prisoners would have to be moved to better quarters.  Yet her father would be angry about it, since his contempt for Hoshido knew no bounds.  She let out a sigh and began walking.  Maybe she'd come across a better idea if she moved.

She kept turning over the various scenarios in her mind, until she stopped in front of a familiar door.  She cocked her head as she heard an unusually loud cough from behind the door.  Two short knocks were the only warning she gave before she opened the door, despite the protests of the room's occupant.  Once she got a good look inside the room, she took an involuntary step back.

Elise pulled up a stool near the side of the bed, her usual curly pigtails bound into a simple bun.  Arthur lay on her bed, his shoulders heaving from a cough.  Off to the side, the top of Elise's dresser held various herbs and containers, instead of her usual doll collection.

"What is the meaning of this?" Camilla snapped, closing the door behind her.  It was risky for her to be in proximity of either of them, but her curiosity overtook her caution.
"H-he came down with it a couple of days ago!" Elise said with a pout.  "I've been caring for him ever since."
"And how are YOU not affected?" the older woman pressed.
"Sakura told me about the tea she used back in Macarth.  She had everyone drink that so she could care for those that got sick," Elise replied.  Camilla mentally slapped her head.  This was the same thing that had delayed Iago's troops a couple of months back.
"Did he start coughing in the morning, or at night?"
"Everything went wrong at night."  The younger girl shrank back from her sister's withering glare.
"I may not have been the best study of medicine, but I remember the basics.  This plague shows its symptoms the day after the patient has been exposed.  The night before he got sick, Arthur took a trip down to the prisons.  It stands to reason that the prisoners are responsible, no?"  Elise turned pale, but stayed silent.
"Elise, you foolish girl.  No matter how well you mean, you MUST think of the bigger picture.  What if Father caught you?  What about the other nobles?"
"But that's just IT!  Father wants those two to die, and for Sakura to stick around on the false hope that she'll see them again!  She's making a lot of friends amongst the Nohrians, and sooner or later, one of them would figure it out and tell her.  And then she'd go right back to Hoshido, and we lose Yato for good, because she'd never believe a word we say!"  Camilla blinked in surprise, before her expression softened.
"You're willing to stake the royal house of Nohr on a sword?"
"The sword that is said to unite the kingdoms.  I want it on our side."  Elise's lip trembled - no matter how much she tried, she was a terrible liar.  Camilla reached out and gently patted her sister's head.
"And you count yourself among her friends," Camilla said idly.  "But you know what happens when Father gets angry."
"What if Father is WRONG?" Elise protested.
"We'll cross that bridge if we ever reach it."  Camilla spared at glance at Arthur, who looked like he'd finally fallen asleep.  "Prepare a separate room for the prisoners who have the coughing plague.  Make sure it's far away from everyone else.  I'll move them later tonight."  Elise's face lit up with a smile.
"Thanks big sis!  I owe you one!"
"Oh?  Then I'd like some of that tea you've been drinking.  I hate being sick."  Elise giggled and poured a cup for Camilla.  The younger girl's giggling became a full-on laugh as her sister downed the unspeakably bitter contents in one gulp.
"Well.  I guess my younger days of drinking crappy wine have come in handy," Camilla managed to sputter.  "Be done by sundown," she ordered.
"Two beds in the north tower, coming up!" Elise promised.  She lay a cool cloth on Arthur's forehead before following her sister out of the room.

Once he was certain that he was alone, Arthur cracked open an eye.  He'd heard the beginnings of treason.  A less loyal retainer would turn tail and alert the king.  Arthur's loyalty was to Elise, first and foremost.  The girl's heart was in the right place, even if her actions were clumsy.  Effie's reports on Sakura confirmed Arthur's suspicions - if there was any hope of peace between the two kingdoms, it would be through their youngest princesses.  A few fanciful ideas of how he could be useful to his liege flitted through his head, before he drifted off to sleep.

---

The oaken door gave way easily enough to Kaze's touch. Fate had brought him to Nohr, as a prisoner. Today, he entered dressed in the garb of a prison guard, its owner sound asleep after a night of debauchery. He kept his back straight and eyes forward, letting his peripheral vision identify the sorry figures that inhabited the cells. He stopped when he saw two figures in dirty and tattered Hoshidan clothes. One of the figures lifted his head, bloodshot eyes meeting Kaze's own.

"Subaki. . .what is going on?" Kaze whispered.
"Y-you. . ." the prisoner rasped. "What do you want?" His eyes went wide when Kaze removed his helmet.
"The two of you look awful." Subaki weakly raised an emaciated arm, and rested it on the back of the other figure.
"She's finally asleep," Subaki whispered hoarsely. "She's been coughing all day." Kaze took an involuntary step backwards.
"The plague--huh?" He stopped when he felt something soft at his back.
"I knew you looked familiar," the woman behind him said, axe at ready.
"You. . .you're a princess. Surely you don't have business down here, in the middle of the night," Kaze growled.
"Normally, I don't, but I just had to see why a guard would want to visit the prisoners at this hour," she purred.
"Isn't it customary for the guards to check on the prisoners, no matter what the hour?" The woman chuckled.
"Oh, you're far too serious. But it looks like your little intrusion can be excused, this time. After all, you're the one that discovered the coughing plague down here." Coughing interrupted her. Kaze turned his attention back towards the prisoners. The other one was on her knees, her frail form shaking with each cough.
"She's been like this for the past three days," Subaki said, before his own coughing fit started.
"This will not do at all," the woman said softly, with a sigh. She cleared her throat. "Hey, new guy. Bring these two prisoners to the northern tower, top floor. I want to. . .personally interrogate them." She turned on her heel and left, lavender hair swaying in time with each step.
"You heard the lady," Kaze said, putting his helmet back on. He chuckled, realizing that the guard and the other woman had left him no keys. The lock on the cell was meant to be heavy and intimidating, partially to give the guards a sense of security, and partially to keep the prisoners at bay. To a ninja with a lockpick, and a very urgent reason to get the door open, it was a thirty-second delay. The rusted hinge shrilly creaked its protest as Kaze pulled the door open. Subaki stumbled out, while his companion scooted out on her knees. Kaze sighed, then picked up the girl, gasping at the number of bones he felt through her clothes. He then reached out an arm to steady Subaki, gagging as the smell of rotting flesh hit his nostrils. Subaki withdrew his right arm with a scowl. The group managed to make it to the guard house before Subaki sank to his knees.
"Oh, so this is where the stench is coming from," another voice chimed in.
"Nice to see you too, Keaton," Kaze greeted glumly.
"Man, are they dead or something? I smell someone rotting," Keaton said cheerily.
"If you want to hang around, carry him," Kaze said, motioning towards Subaki.
"Sure, he looks light enough--hey, you barely weigh anything!" Keaton exclaimed, as he threw the Hoshidan over his shoulder.
"I'm a person, not a sack of rice!" Subaki protested.
"A sack of rice smells better," Keaton countered.
"That's enough, you two. Just. . .follow me," Kaze said. He briefly considered telling Keaton where to go, but remembered how utterly and hopelessly lost the wolfskin had been when they had first met.

---

Much to everyone's surprise, the top floor of the northern tower had two beds, and two bowls with steam rising from them. The two Hoshidans were gingerly placed on the beds. Kaze examined the two prisoners, this time with the light from the fireplace. Both of them were severely malnourished, with the girl's shoulder blades peeking out from her worn shirt. The woman fussed over the man, who sat on the bed. His hair tumbled down his back in a greasy red mass. His normally angular features were outright hawkish. Though he resisted, his bony form was no match for her toned one. She ripped his shirt off, before gagging and taking several steps back. Off in a corner, Keaton's shoulders heaved. Kaze put a hand to his nose, then blanched as he saw the source of the stench - an arm with black spots.

"How are you even alive?" the woman said, swallowing hard.
"Someone has to keep her company," Subaki rattled out, motioning towards the other bed with his good arm.
"You're a real sweetheart, you know that? But I'm gonna have to do something about that arm," the woman said, freeing the axe on her back.
"Y-you can't be serious!" Subaki croaked out.
"It's your arm or your life. Even the best doctors in Hoshido wouldn't be able to save an arm with gangrene," she said. Subaki's shoulders slumped.
"Hey, you," the woman said, pointing towards Kaze. "You'll need to tie off the stump when I'm done."
"I have a name, and it's Kain," he growled. One of Subaki's eyebrows went up.
"Very well. . .Kain. Put a poker in the fireplace. If the tourniquet isn't enough to stop the bleeding, we'll use fire to do so."
"What about him?" Subaki asked, pointing towards the unconscious form of Keaton. The woman shook her head.
"That idiot wolfskin and his nose will be the end of him," she grumbled. "But he's out of the way, so it won't matter. Now, try not to wake the girl up. I'll deal with her after I make sure that you aren't in any danger of dropping dead."
"In case you. . .mess up. . .my name is Subaki, and hers is Hana," Subaki said.
"Oh, what an odd coincidence," the woman said, with a chuckle. "I believe your name is one of the Hoshidan ways of describing a certain flower, right? I, too, am that flower - Camilla, to be exact." Subaki's reply to her revelation was cut short when Kaze slid a pair of chopsticks between his teeth. "Now, try not to scream."

---

Camilla allowed herself a smile as she quietly made her way back to her room.  Stumbling upon the "butler" in the prison had been quite the coincidence, but one she was confident she could work to her ends.  She was so lost in thoughts that she nearly ran into someone else.  She uttered a quick apology, then paled as she recognized the figure in front of her.

"Camilla!  What happened to you!"  Camilla put a hand to her lips, in the vain hope that Xander would get the hint.
"I'll tell you, in my room."

Unlike her sister's frilly room, Camilla's focused on utility.  She loved comfort as much as the next noblewoman, but she didn't need to announce it to the world.   While her pillows were soft, and her blankets warm, they were both a muted shade of blue.  The lamp on her desk illuminated the cause of her older brother's concern - her clothes were soaked in blood.  She shot an apologetic look to Xander, who had made himself comfortable on her favorite lounge chair.

"Remember those Hoshidan prisoners?  The ones that shouldn't have been alive?"  Xander's expression shifted to cold fury.
"You didn't--" he started.
"I had them moved," she continued.  "One of them had a badly infected arm, so I cut it off."
"Are you serious?!" he growled.  "That's not what Father ordered!"
"And what good are Father's orders, if we can't believe in them?" she snapped.  "What good does it do to Nohr to mistreat political prisoners?"  Xander stayed silent.  Good.  "Have you noticed how popular Sakura is?"
"I've caught the servants whispering about her," he said evenly.  "And Laslow seems to be quite taken with her."
"I'd be worried if Laslow wasn't taken with her," Camilla shot back.  "But that's not the point.  She's made allies in Nohr.  Our retainers should listen to us over her.  But what of the others?"  Much to her relief, Xander paused to think.
"The nobles who want us gone?  Many of them would gladly string her up on the castle gates."
"Do we want to fight an insurrection on two fronts?"  Once again, Xander leaned back, chin in hand.
"You wouldn't be asking me these questions if you didn't have something in mind," Xander said with a chuckle.
"Treat the prisoners as guests instead.  They won't have free roam of the castle, but it would be an improvement over the dungeons.  Sakura's not the only one that can bring people to her side," Camilla suggested.
"So get her retainers to speak fondly of Nohr," Xander mulled.  "That definitely isn't something you came up with on your own."
"Thanks for the vote of confidence, brother," Camilla said dryly.
"You like to run people into each other, not have them sing your praises," Xander said bluntly.  "This hearts-and-minds thing has Elise written all over it."
"She's on to something," Camilla replied.  "If Father's way was so effective, we wouldn't have the issue with the nobles."
"What of Leo?"
"Oh, him?  He's been taking an awful lot of trips to her room, on the pretense of helping her to get over the death of his retainers."  She let the statement hang, then giggled.  "He's very intelligent, but not so much when it comes to cute girls."
"Keep him in the dark, then," Xander concluded.  "It doesn't feel right, but it's probably for the best."
"Sakura's retainers are in the north tower."  This time, Xander allowed himself a small smile.
"That's almost as bad as the prisons.  That howling can get to anyone."
"Anyone that isn't familiar with the top floor," Camilla added.
"I'll send Peri to keep an eye on them.  There's no telling who amongst the prisoners will slip something to the guards."  Xander stood up, stretching a bit.  "Best get some sleep.  It's going to be a busy few days."

Once he'd left, the eldest princess rolled her shoulders back.  She counted herself lucky - each of the siblings wanted what was best for Nohr, and they generally saw eye-to-eye on the important things.  Besides, Xander had yet to disapprove of Elise's wild schemes.  He was right about one thing - sleep was a priority.  She threw her clothes in the fireplace, slipped into something soft and silky, and fell asleep shortly after her head touched the pillow.