Have you ever made a stupid mistake when buying a game?

DarkDestr0yer61

On 10/25/2017 at 8:03 PM, SullyMcGully said:

Yup. While it wasn't exactly pricey, downloading the demo for that game is probably the worst game-related mistake I've ever made.

I'm really glad I tried that demo because I uninstalled that abomination shortly after the title screen

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Chroma Squad on sale and went to buy it, but I didn't realize it was only the OST and not the actual game. rip

I also think buying a Wii was a mistake. I only really enjoyed like 3 or 4 games and bought it mostly for Radiant Dawn. It wasn't really worth it (but RD is still one of my favorite FEs).

Edited by Rapier

On 10/25/2017 at 6:39 PM, Ronnie said:

Well if you're not playing Pokémon for the story then yeah that just invokes a whole other problem. If that's the case, you're better off just playing on Showdown if you're only interested in battling. :p

If you're playing Pokemon for its story, you must be very easily entertained.

Also my most regrettable purchase is Fates: Rev, its the worst FE gameplay experience i've ever played and thats including the original FE1.

Edited by Jedi

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

Feel good getting that off your chest or something?

Why else would I buy and play each new release? It's an rpg. Of course I play for the single-player/"story mode." The multiplayer online battles are a nice bonus for me.

8 hours ago, Jedi said:

Also my most regrettable purchase is Fates: Rev, its the worst FE gameplay experience i've ever played and thats including the original FE1.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing ? It's a really curious thing to say...

Yeah, I also spent far too many money in this game (all versions + DLC). I just finished Conquest, played generations halfway through and barely even touched Birthright.

I bought For Honor on the PS4. It was fun until I realized that everything in the game, including story mode for some reason, was completely online-dependent. Once I completed story mode and moved on to multiplayer, I found out that it requires PlayStation Plus, which I do not have and had not even heard of because I rarely use the PS4, preferring Nintendo games. So I was able to enjoy the game for the length of the Playstation Plus free trial (two days!!). Fortunately, Breath of the Wild was released not long afterward. Still, that's $80 I'm never getting back.

3 hours ago, Purple Mage said:

Physical, otherwise I wouldn't be able to sell it.

Also, it's been more than a year since I bought it, and I don't think my local game store accepts refunds.

idk...its kinda weird. I mean you are aware that you can sell them at amazon or ebay right unless I'm not getting the picture of why those aren't suitable?

Also, have you tried estarland? Its best suited for selling your games and its also international.

On 10/25/2017 at 9:43 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

The praise is largely for plot (in RD, and even then it isn't perfect), aesthetics, numerous non-main characters being realistic (as in non-exaggerated gimmicky) but good in PoR (supports are awful in RD), music and world building. Gameplay isn't particularly exceptional, but no damningly bad either beyond some faults of RD's Part system experimentation.

I thought most people put PoR's plot on a higher pedestal than RD. I, however, disagree with this notion.

36 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

I thought most people put PoR's plot on a higher pedestal than RD. I, however, disagree with this notion.

PoR is simpler in its plot, RD is more ambitious and complex. Each has things to like about them, each has things to critique. RD might be convoluted and all over the place to one, and while PoR's is well executed and clear. PoR might be condemned as generic by another, and RD by that person much more unique and successfully grand. 

Likewise, we may find some who praised Marth/Roy for being subtle in personality and development, rarefied like an ideal noble/monarch. This person may loathe Hector as overly emotional. Another may find Marth/Roy too subtle for their own good as it makes them dull and flavorless. Hector's emotional and brash nature may be more appealing since the development and thoughts and feelings of him are more palpable.

Simplicity vs. complexity, subtlety vs. vibrancy, realism vs. fantasy, these are things we find debated frequently in Fire Emblem games nowadays. They are debated in the stories, in the gameplay (there are a few who like BR more than CQ on the grounds that the gameplay of CQ is too gimmicky- in this case meaning complex), and in the characters.

Shall I borrow Soren and contrast him with Miriel? Or Boyd with Vaike? Or Tauroneo with Effie, Benny, and Kellam? How about Jill with Cherche and Beruka and Camilla? The Telliusians are more realistic and nuanced, boring to critics, while the 13/14-ites are bursting with extraordinary personality, one-note and gimmicky to critics. Of course, there is no simple division between old and new here, Ilyana could seamlessly become a 13/14-ite, while one could make a case for... Leo? Shura? Takumi? Kaze? Gangrel? moving the other way (my inability to name a single character with certainty from 13-14 reflects more my lack of personal experience with 13-14 character personalities).

On 10/26/2017 at 6:59 PM, Tamanoir said:

Now, that may trigger many peope, so remember it's absolutely not a constructed critique, just a report on my feelings wjile playing the game.
FFX's main problem is that it isn't a bad gameI was just never able to get into the story. Everything in this game is freaking ridiculous (the godawfull dub don't help. Wakka is especially terrible (that laugh scene howeveris actually one of the rare ones that works)). But everyone acts as if it's a really deep story, without having any nuances (Partly why FFX-2 is far superior. It fully embraces its rdiculousness, and just tries to have fun. Not a great games by any means (Dungeon Travelers 2 do that better), but a better one) The world is beautifull, but feels empty. And the romance is really terrible. It's obvious from the start it will never works, but it's played as the best love story ever (then, many people thinks the same way about Romeo and Juliet...). Tidus being a pretty bad character all around doesn't help it's a good comical character, but it's absolutely not a hero.)
Blitzball was also really terrible, and most minigames were a chore. The gameplay didn't really hooked me as well.

I'm kinda disenchanted with FF as a whole. I think V has the best gameplay by far (I like Bravely more, but I hear some prefer V over Bravely), and for its time IV wasn't bad, and VI did its narrative best in the confines of the era. VII tried something really different, if still simple and cliched, plot-wise. And VIII went even more modern (I haven't gotten to IX yet, or XI and beyond). VI and VII's gameplay (they're quite similar) is serviceable, but not great, and VIII's is an experiment gone wrong.

FFX does have a great world setup in Spira as a whole I admit, but the plot's religious angle wasn't done right, it was too "religion is an evil lie" cliched. Having "Sin is Tidus's Dad" known from almost the start was different, probably better than hiding the reveal for the shock value. Having a hero who isn't a natural warrior or leader is distinct, I liked Yuna's journey and Seymour is, well not a total failure, if not the biggest success either, I don't know where to put him between the two extremes. As for the romance, better than Rinoa and Squall, but worse than Cloud and Tifa, Rosa and Cecil, Locke and Celes. Of course the best romance is the Onion Knight's- the one that doesn't exist!

Blitzball was bad, not to mention the one forced game you're almost guaranteed to lose. I did like it as a part of the world though. Hiding the ultimate weapons behind the minigames was a really bad idea. So was the Break 9999 Damage Limit- makes the superbosses, almost all recolors, HP sinks needing the Celestial Weapons to beat. The Arena too is Tidius, and so is the grinding to beat the superbosses.

Never completed X-2, but again, too many minigames, with the plot and character designs too fanservicey (Rikku I'm looking at you). I did like the dresspheres though, a good class system is never bad. Points for being different with so much being optional.

Is FF the absolute worse in JRPGs? No. The very best? Highly debatable for sure.

22 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

PoR is simpler in its plot, RD is more ambitious and complex. Each has things to like about them, each has things to critique. RD might be convoluted and all over the place to one, and while PoR's is well executed and clear. PoR might be condemned as generic by another, and RD by that person much more unique and successfully grand. 

Likewise, we may find some who praised Marth/Roy for being subtle in personality and development, rarefied like an ideal noble/monarch. This person may loathe Hector as overly emotional. Another may find Marth/Roy too subtle for their own good as it makes them dull and flavorless. Hector's emotional and brash nature may be more appealing since the development and thoughts and feelings of him are more palpable.

Simplicity vs. complexity, subtlety vs. vibrancy, realism vs. fantasy, these are things we find debated frequently in Fire Emblem games nowadays. They are debated in the stories, in the gameplay (there are a few who like BR more than CQ on the grounds that the gameplay of CQ is too gimmicky- in this case meaning complex), and in the characters.

Shall I borrow Soren and contrast him with Miriel? Or Boyd with Vaike? Or Tauroneo with Effie, Benny, and Kellam? How about Jill with Cherche and Beruka and Camilla? The Telliusians are more realistic and nuanced, boring to critics, while the 13/14-ites are bursting with extraordinary personality, one-note and gimmicky to critics. Of course, there is no simple division between old and new here, Ilyana could seamlessly become a 13/14-ite, while one could make a case for... Leo? Shura? Takumi? Kaze? Gangrel? moving the other way (my inability to name a single character with certainty from 13-14 reflects more my lack of personal experience with 13-14 character personalities).

Agreed about the differences in the two Tellius games. I prefer RD's complexity over PoR simplicity. Even if RD has more flaws, just discussing and thinking about them can be a fun mental exercise, so those flaws may actually be a point in favour, at least to me. 

True, you can't make a character that appeals to everyone. 

I have only played FE7-FE10 while I've seen an LP of FE6 and FE15 so I'm not understanding some of your references. Nevertheless, I think Tellius does a good job of having both types of characters. 

On 30/10/2017 at 8:18 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm kinda disenchanted with FF as a whole. I think V has the best gameplay by far (I like Bravely more, but I hear some prefer V over Bravely), and for its time IV wasn't bad, and VI did its narrative best in the confines of the era. VII tried something really different, if still simple and cliched, plot-wise. And VIII went even more modern (I haven't gotten to IX yet, or XI and beyond). VI and VII's gameplay (they're quite similar) is serviceable, but not great, and VIII's is an experiment gone wrong.

FFX does have a great world setup in Spira as a whole I admit, but the plot's religious angle wasn't done right, it was too "religion is an evil lie" cliched. Having "Sin is Tidus's Dad" known from almost the start was different, probably better than hiding the reveal for the shock value. Having a hero who isn't a natural warrior or leader is distinct, I liked Yuna's journey and Seymour is, well not a total failure, if not the biggest success either, I don't know where to put him between the two extremes. As for the romance, better than Rinoa and Squall, but worse than Cloud and Tifa, Rosa and Cecil, Locke and Celes. Of course the best romance is the Onion Knight's- the one that doesn't exist!

Blitzball was bad, not to mention the one forced game you're almost guaranteed to lose. I did like it as a part of the world though. Hiding the ultimate weapons behind the minigames was a really bad idea. So was the Break 9999 Damage Limit- makes the superbosses, almost all recolors, HP sinks needing the Celestial Weapons to beat. The Arena too is Tidius, and so is the grinding to beat the superbosses.

Never completed X-2, but again, too many minigames, with the plot and character designs too fanservicey (Rikku I'm looking at you). I did like the dresspheres though, a good class system is never bad. Points for being different with so much being optional.

Is FF the absolute worse in JRPGs? No. The very best? Highly debatable for sure.

I appreciate FF for their ambitions, always trying something different. It may be bad, but few AAA series takes as much risks as they do.
I appreciate the effort, if not the games themselves. 
FFVI and IV are some of my first RPGs, and they're great games. V is tons of fun as well.
Still, I'm more a Dragon Quest fan nowadays. DQVII makes the "hero not being a natural leader" far better. Actually DQVII hero is a better character despite not having a single line of dialogue (no, really. It's pretty impressive how much they can put in a mute character). DQVII is classic in gameplay, and even in story, but it's really well done, and I 

The main problem is that Tidus isn't a good person. Him being a manipulative asshole, and outright lying at the end is simply unforgiveable. He start unlikeable, becomes slightly more appreciabe, when he's just a random loser, but totally fails at the end. Most characters are pretty unlikeable in this game, actually, which totally stops me from engaging in the world and the story.
And the world itself is... fake. It's pretty, but it's not engaging, or even believable.
I don't know about FFVIII (can't bring myself to play that game, honnestly... FFIX is rather cool, even if the original version is slow as hell.) 
FFX-2 is 100% fanservice, but at least it tries to be fun, not some kind of deep story that fells flat, and ends up hurting the game like in FFX. It's not a great game, but it recognize FFX was stupid, and totally embraces it. We exchange hypocrisy for cynism...