October 30 - Halloween Banner

Coolmanio

28 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Now that the units are out I've seen a few people upset that they're underwhelming (weird considering the powercreep talk above, but still). Is that a common belief here as well or do you think everyone's just surprised that we didn't get any game-breakers for the first time in two months?

Uhm... if you are referring to my post, then no I'm not disappointed at all.

Actually I'm very happy by the fact that they are good but not game breaking. Makes the game more balanced. Also they come with good inheritable weapons and skills. 

If one thing I'm not very happy about, it is that Jakob and Henry's bst are too high given the ranged penalty. It's the same bonus which Sigurd/Ayra had.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Now that the units are out I've seen a few people upset that they're underwhelming (weird considering the powercreep talk above, but still). Is that a common belief here as well or do you think everyone's just surprised that we didn't get any game-breakers for the first time in two months?

Don't think they're underwhelming at all. 

Nowi is a new red mage flier with a superb A skill and hone fliers.

Jakob and Henry are ranged armored units with high BST.

Sakura is basically a better Felicia and Kitty Paddle looks pretty great.

11 minutes ago, Okigen said:

If one thing I'm not very happy about, it is that Jakob and Henry's bst are too high given the ranged penalty. It's the same bonus which Sigurd/Ayra had.

Sigurd and Ayra have different bonuses.

Sigurd has +10 growths. Ayra has +1 base stat and +10 growths. Henry and Jakob have Ayra's bonus.

Also, Jakob's and Henry's stats aren't "too high given the ranged penalty" because Jakob and Henry's class isn't "ranged armor". It's "special ranged armor". (In the same way that Amelia's stats aren't "too high for a melee armor" because her class is "trainee melee armor" and not "melee armor". Or that Athos's stat caps aren't "too high for a Sage (M)" because he is an "Archsage" and not a "Sage (M)".)

Edited by Ice Dragon

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Sigurd and Ayra have different bonuses.

Sigurd has +10 growths. Ayra has +1 base stat and +10 growths. Henry and Jakob have Ayra's bonus.

Also, Jakob's and Henry's stats aren't "too high given the ranged penalty" because Jakob and Henry's class isn't "ranged armor". It's "special ranged armor". (In the same way that Amelia's stats aren't "too high for a melee armor" because her class is "trainee melee armor" and not "melee armor". Or that Athos's stat caps aren't "too high for a Sage (M)" because he is an "Archsage" and not a "Sage (M)".)

I don't get it? By 'special' do you mean the trainee stats? But none of them (Jakob/Henry) are trainees.

Edited by Okigen

6 minutes ago, Okigen said:

I don't get it? By 'special' do you mean the trainee stats? But none of them are trainees.

"Special" is the class modifier given to Ayra, and now Henry and Jakob, which results in +1 to base stats (+1 point at level 40) and +10 to growths (+4.446 points at level 40).

The naming of the modifier is from the Gamepedia site. You can call it whatever you want, really, like "the same bonus Ayra has" or something like that.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Thanks, everyone!

A follow-up question: is Sakura worth risking colorless hell for? I know Jakob is a good unit but I don't use Armor Emblem much, meaning if I do pull on this banner I'll be prioritising her. (I'm a F2Player with 130~ Orbs, fwiw.)

12 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Thanks, everyone!

A follow-up question: is Sakura worth risking colorless hell for? I know Jakob is a good unit but I don't use Armor Emblem much, meaning if I do pull on this banner I'll be prioritising her. (I'm a F2Player with 130~ Orbs, fwiw.)

She's one of, if not the best, anti-mage unit out there. Felicia has 9 less ATK than H!Sakura, but 3 more SPD and one more HP+RES. Felicia is much more accessable, coming in 3* and 4* while H!Sakura is a limited edition halloween unit. Sakura however, does come with Kitty Paddle, which seems to be pretty good on first sight. 

Personally, I spent ~220 orbs and got two 5* Rebecca's.

Edited by Birdy

Just now, Birdy said:

She's one of, if not the best, anti-mage unit out there. Felicia has 9 less ATK than H!Sakura, but 3 more SPD and one more HP+RES. Felicia is much more accessable, coming in 3* and 4* while H!Sakura is a limited edition halloween unit. Sakura however, does come with Kitty Paddle, which seems to be pretty good on first sight. 

Personally, I spent ~220 orbs and got two 5* Rebecca's.

Huh, thanks!

I guess I'll just wait and see what the mid-month banner(s) will be before deciding. If we're getting SS or Tellius I'll spend my Orbs there, otherwise I'll come back to this (I haven't used my free Summon either).

Why are some people thinking we'll get Hero Fest 3 this month? I thought IS only hosts those for milestones, unless they've hinted at it recently?

I've used around at least 70 orbs.... nothing, except for a damn FIVE STAR Roy to shit up pity rate. The same summoning session gave me a regular Henry too, to fuck with me even further. emot-argh.gif

On a good note, however, the Roy has pretty good IVs (Atk+ Res-), and I had yet to get a Roy at all. Probably one of the best IVs for him, if not the best but c'mon man, could have at least waited until I got one of the focus units.

These units feel really good. Armor emblem truly needed more oppressive res tank and ranged options along with armor march Armor emblem easily usable possibly even on competitive level. Great I got Henry myself (+atk/-HP). It would be nice get Jacob too.

Nowi's tome is perfect for flier emblem as well, though goad would be more suited to make best of it. Now I would be great replacement for Corrin

And then there Sakura, I hope I can get two of them. Her weapon seems like great way to boost Olivia's performance (pun not intended), but It would be huge waste put down such cute nekomata without having spare...

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Thanks, everyone!

The probability of pulling Sakura from a colorless umbrella with no pity rate is 2.83% (1 in 35).

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The probability of pulling Sakura from a colorless umbrella with no pity rate is 2.83% (1 in 35).

So assuming each of those 35 summons is from a separate session, I need 165 Orbs at most, ignoring pity rates but also ignoring the luck factor.

sigh

Thanks!

Edited by DefyingFates

3 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

So assuming each of those 35 summons is from a separate session, I need 165 Orbs at most, ignoring pity rates but also ignoring the luck factor.

sigh

Thanks!

Not "at most". If you spend 175 orbs on pulling colorless 35 times, you have about a 64% chance of getting Sakura, ignoring the pity rate. There's no upper limit for how many orbs it could take.

1 minute ago, Othin said:

Not "at most". If you spend 175 orbs on pulling colorless 35 times, you have about a 64% chance of getting Sakura, ignoring the pity rate. There's no upper limit for how many orbs it could take.

Thanks for the correction, cruel as it is.

I still remember yolo-pulling a free unit from the Cecilia and Lilina BHB and it being Cecilia herself. I wish I could pull another focus unit like that again...

6 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

sigh

Thanks!

The "luck factor" is kind of important in probability. Ignoring it is the sort of thing that gets you the gambler's fallacy.

If you pulled 35 colorless umbrellas at the base rate, you have a 63.4% chance of getting at least 1 Sakura in those. You have an 86.6% chance after 70 colorless umbrellas, and a 95.1% chance after 105 colorless umbrellas.

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

"Special" is the class modifier given to Ayra, and now Henry and Jakob, which results in +1 to base stats (+1 point at level 40) and +10 to growths (+4.446 points at level 40).

The naming of the modifier is from the Gamepedia site. You can call it whatever you want, really, like "the same bonus Ayra has" or something like that.

So is getting arbitrary BST/growth bonuses just the standard now?  The reasoning seems to get weaker with each iteration.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

So is getting arbitrary BST/growth bonuses just the standard now?  The reasoning seems to get weaker with each iteration.

It's a class modifier like anything else.

Basically no one questioned why trainees got modifiers back when the game was released after hearing "it's a bonus for trainee characters" (literally everyone was just like "oh, okay").

So... a bit over 200 orbs in, and I have two Jakobs to show for it so far. Not who I was hoping for, but my luck could be worse.

I like to keep at least one copy of every unit, but what should I do with the spare? Is he good for skill inheritance, or should I just merge them?

25 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's a class modifier like anything else.

Basically no one questioned why trainees got modifiers back when the game was released after hearing "it's a bonus for trainee characters" (literally everyone was just like "oh, okay").

I hope I don't give the impression of shooting the messenger, I'm just worried about this much power creep this early in the lifespan of the game, especially on seasonal units.

For CYL Ike and Lyn, it was "They're the CYL winners, they deserve a boost."

With Sigurd and Ayra, it was "They're the most popular characters from FE4, and they might want to highlight that game."

For Henry and Jakob, it's "We don't need a reason.  You will get your power creep, and you'll like it."

I wonder if we're just going to get inflated stats on at least a couple characters from here on out.

All my orbs are gone. Only have a Henry to show for it... with what I think is his wors possible spread? (+Hp -Res) Someone please tell me there's a worse spread for him... It was particularly frustrating since most of the time I didn't even get a colourles orb to pull from, and even then it was only like 1.

The last time I ever pulled a unit I really wanted (not just thought "Neat." when getting them) was in June. A bog standard Sakura. It's been nothing but frustration for me since then, and I'd have probably deleted the game a long time ago if I didn't feel like that would turn everything I've done so far into a colossal waste of my time.

I'd argue that a -atk Henry would be worse than +HP -res. That makes him ... functionally neutral?

You also have all month to try for Sakura, so you have more time.

44 minutes ago, Nanima said:

All my orbs are gone. Only have a Henry to show for it... with what I think is his wors possible spread? (+Hp -Res) Someone please tell me there's a worse spread for him... It was particularly frustrating since most of the time I didn't even get a colourles orb to pull from, and even then it was only like 1.

The last time I ever pulled a unit I really wanted (not just thought "Neat." when getting them) was in June. A bog standard Sakura. It's been nothing but frustration for me since then, and I'd have probably deleted the game a long time ago if I didn't feel like that would turn everything I've done so far into a colossal waste of my time.

That isn't a terrible spread. He gets 4 extra HP at the cost of 3 res. At his speed and with hone armor he should be able to avoid getting doubled. So he effectively has +1 to his magical soak and +4 to his physical soak. Of course dealing with Dire Thunder is something people are interested in and due to the Brave effect he is more vulnerable to that. However, he should still survive a Hone Cavlary Quickened Pulse Moonbow Deathblow Reinhardt, even without TA3.

It does knock some damage off Iceberg though. I don't think that will change any matchups though.

Edited by Usana

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

For Henry and Jakob, it's "We don't need a reason.  You will get your power creep, and you'll like it."

There's no real power creep with those two though. Sakura is clearly power creep because lolbetterFelicia but there's no one to compare Jakob to as the first Armor bow and Henry doesn't really power creep Hector. Blade+ (Close Counter/QP) Henry with Hone buffs gets about a dozen or so more kills than Hector (both Neutral) and has a better Player Phase but he lacks flexibility in his B slot unlike Hector who can run anything he wants because Armads. If Henry forgoes Quick Riposte or Close Counter then Hector automatically has a better EP.

Edited by Zeo