So what are your thoughts on FE switch being open world (This has not been confirmed, just me asking a question) When I say "open world" I'm not talking a game that plays just like breath of the wild or anything, but instead a game where the map in between chapters (like in sacred stones, awakening, and echoes) that is open world and 3d with side quests. So for example - Chapters are played out just like in any other Fire emblem game, you still have support conversations and all of that stuff ( and maybe children, that is another thing, what are you guys thoughts on the marriage system? should it be brought back?) So it is like any other fire emblem game with the exception of in between chapters you have a giant map ( like breath of the wild size)

That you get to run around on in 3d and explore. More and more parts of the map would open up as you progress through the story. But this can be used to get from one part of the story to the next just like in Sacred Stones, Awakening, and Echoes. While on this map you can encounter bandits attacking villages and monsters in caves, and when you encounter them you strike them and go into classic combat ,just like in echoes with the dungeons. There would also be hundreds of side quests that you can do, and you could find hidden castles and villages and rescue people to recruit them but they don't have to be rescued for the story. SO it would play like a regular FE game with an open world. I feel like this could add a like a hundred hours to your play time.In My opinion this would be (if done right) the best Fire Emblem game ever. And should this be ported over to new 3ds as well, (it just wouldn't work on old 3ds) I think they could port it I mean they ported Xenoblade Chronicles. SO those are my thoughts, What do you guys think?

This makes me think of a game like Sigmastar (for GBA)

Although I do have to ask, what does the "overworld" part of a game like this really add to a game that just goes from one battle to the next? I think cutting down on in-between gameplay stuff is one of the things that helps fire emblem games have good replay value, as you can start again (on hard or whatever) and use different groups of units relatively quickly compared to replaying other RPGs. 

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

I'm here to screw with the weapon triangle and get random stats on level up.  If I want an open world and all of that jazz, I'd play another RPG.

It would still have the weapon triangle and random stat lv ups, but in between chapters instead of having a map like in echoes and awakening and sacred stones, you would have an open world that you can explore.

4 hours ago, Reality said:

This makes me think of a game like Sigmastar (for GBA)

Although I do have to ask, what does the "overworld" part of a game like this really add to a game that just goes from one battle to the next? I think cutting down on in-between gameplay stuff is one of the things that helps fire emblem games have good replay value, as you can start again (on hard or whatever) and use different groups of units relatively quickly compared to replaying other RPGs. 

Well it would be like the dungeon crawling in Echoes but an entire world and would have more features. Maybe it could be something that could be turned off or you could have a fast travel option to travel to landmarks that you've been to and to the next story chapter.

7 minutes ago, ninjagriffin said:

It would still have the weapon triangle and random stat lv ups, but in between chapters instead of having a map like in echoes and awakening and sacred stones, you would have an open world that you can explore.

What ends would this serve, though? The way Fire Emblem games are structured, as linear, plot-driven strategy games, don't really mesh with big, explorable worlds. I have a hard time accepting that an FE game would ever get more in-depth with exploration than SoV, and SoV is very barebones with that stuff. 

At some point this stuff just becomes padding that continues to slow down the pace of an already slow paced kind of game. 

There are just some games that don't need to be big and open. Fire Emblem's one of them. 

Edited by Slumber

12 minutes ago, Slumber said:

What ends would this serve, though? The way Fire Emblem games are structured, as linear, plot-driven strategy games, don't really mesh with big, explorable worlds. I have a hard time accepting that an FE game would ever get more in-depth with exploration than SoV, and SoV is very barebones with that stuff. 

At some point this stuff just becomes padding that continues to slow down the pace of an already slow paced kind of game. 

There are just some games that don't need to be big and open. Fire Emblem's one of them. 

I get what you're saying, but there are games with maps and it does not force you to move straight forward. In fact while playing awakening I found myself many times stopping the story to fight characters via streetpass or to fight monsters. But what you're saying makes sense and that is why they could either have a fast travel option to travel to landmarks you've visited and to the next story location, But I think an open world could really help visualize the country/land where you are fighting for and to protect. 

On 10/26/2017 at 4:18 AM, ninjagriffin said:

1. I think you missed the point.  I don't want to spend my time dodging monsters, fiddling with the camera, cussing out the developers for not putting dual inverted options, getting hopelessly lost, trying not to puke because it triggers my vertigo, etc.  If you think it's fun, that's fine.  But I think it's one of the epitomes of unfun.

2. If you want to quote multiple people, use the little plus sign next to the Quote button.

I think the idea could work, but since these games tend to span countries we'd need an open world akin to Bravely Default, where towns and dungeons serve as the actual truly open bits and the world itself is shrunken down to a manageable degree. Towns could function like My Castle (but in 3D), and dungeons could be like they were in Echoes.(BD was the first example that popped to my mind.) The idea of sidequests would be fun too, but wouldn't they just be paralogues/gaiden chapters?

• 3 weeks later...

That sounds like good idea, but I think that they could make it a very large open world. I mean look at what they did with BOTW and they're about to do Skyrim and Xenoblade 2 which will have very large worlds, so they could make it work I think. But if they couldn't make it work then I like what you said. And yes they sidequests would just be paralogues, sidequests was just what popped into mind

• 2 weeks later...

i'd pass on this. Generally the only real purpose of the world maps in the past was to access infinite grinding, which i was never a fan of, or to just run around to different shops. Its never really added anything to game for me, and from a narrative perspective its never made much sense, given the urgency most FE plots carry, that our heroes are dicking around or grinding monsters for months instead of moving onto their next task

I'm not keen on an open world FE. I like open world games, but I don't think it'll fit the format of FE. Maybe an FE with more paths to deviate from, but not a true/quasi open world though. Like the GBA games, for example.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like the idea of an open world Fire Emblem. That's just not what I come to Fire Emblem for. What I think they could do is add more choices to the game and add more diverging paths like the A/B chapters from the old games. The extra choices would add much more replay value and allow for a more unique experience every time. It could also actually allow avatars to be done well.