How do you all deal with character hate?

JDtheBA

Pretty much what everyone else is saying: try and ignore it as long as they aren't being disrespectful to other people. Just because a character is hated or has a lot of flaws doesn't mean you aren't allowed to still like them. :^_^:

• 4 weeks later...

Funny, I've got the opposite problem for some reason. Every time I use the proverbial First Amendment to express my hate, I get yelled at by others.

Edited by henrymidfields

If it's you're waifu, defend her honor with your sword and shield in hand.

If it's just a character you happen to like, brush it off. Other people's opinions don't matter.

Feel slightly hurt, but then accept the pain and keep it so as to not forget that other people have other opinions. And try to see if there is anything of truth or value in what they say. 

If there appears to be room for rational discussion, generally in the context of a long dissection of what makes a character (a simple "I hate X!" isn't worth responding to) I may try to argue with the goal of a measure of persuasion in mind. But if that fails, oh well, does neither of us better to continue in fruitless debate.

I try not to get hate-filled and make myself hate characters (dislike and critique is different from bile-filled emotions), and while I'll respect your right to live your life as you wish, I think injecting venom into your posts for no real reason doesn't do anyone any good.

I act like this.

But usually I ignore it or if its about my waifu, silently revel in the fact that my own opinions are superior because most of the time I don't feel strongly about such things and people who spend their time hating on fictional characters should really find something more productive to do.

I deal with it like this:

In all seriousness, character and even game/game series hate does get to me more than it should, especially when certain people repeatedly go out of their way to bash on a certain character/game (I mean, it's not like that character murdered any of their loved ones in real life, so why do they insist on bringing their hate up constantly?).

I personally try to let it slide, stop browsing that page that made me mad in the first place, and go on different sites online. I even resort to leaving SF for a bit completely if it gets that bad for me. There's absolutely no shame in taking a break from SF if that's what it boils down to, and it's way better than letting yourself boil over and do something you regret.

There are times where I think it's okay to take direct action on someone who's excessively hating on a character/series. I mean, if the topic barely/doesn't even pertain to the character and they grasp at straws to find a way to bring them and their hate for the character/series into the topic, then that member's hate is getting way out of hand and either a post addressing that member or a post report is in order.

Lately, I've personally made it a rule for myself to keep my negative talk/bashing to a minimum, and only post about it if someone else brings it up first. Even then, I'll try to avoid negative/bashing threads and I myself try to avoid making negative/bashing threads. And even when I do talk negative, I try to keep my wording mild and calm, and be reasonable and thorough in my opinions and explanations. Maybe my attempts at avoiding negativity are a bit excessive, but after being a victim of other people's negativity online, I'd rather not do the same hurtful things to others, if possible.

I get bummed for a minute or two, and move on. Maybe it's because there are better things to be concerned rather than the fandom's hate for a character 

Edited by Midnox

On 10/26/2017 at 4:43 AM, B.Leu said:

There's one Youtuber that I like, Zaric Zhakaron, who talk mainly about TES but he's pretty open about other things, who did a video named "Don't Attach Your Identity to Things You Like", surprisingly, it talk about what you expect. I suggest we all try to do that.

Woah, I'm surprised to see another Zaric Zhakaron fan 'round these parts, haha

But anyways uhhhh, I get very salty lol. However, I usually just accept what's being said and move on, even if what's being said infuriates me. We all have opinions, y'know? Everybody is entitled to one (or many!).

Edited by Pixelman

• 2 weeks later...