Do you ever get nervous playing video games?

Ronnie

Usually when I come across boss battles, specifically final bosses, in games (or when I play Fire Emblem in general) I typically get the cold sweaty hands and pits from nervousness lol. It happens sometimes when I play online in fighting games too.

Definitely from 1v1 online games, or if I'm a rando in a team based MOBA. I can't seem to fight through the nerves and not take the encounter so seriously. I've competed in in-person fighting game tournaments and never felt goosebumps in that setting outside of chance encounters against an opponent I know by name. Being around real people and talking about stuff we love in the games really took the edge off. And I don't think I ever had nervousness in any context for an offline game.

When I get really into a game I get sweaty and smelly. It's more stress than nervousness, according to friends and family.

54 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I've competed in in-person fighting game tournaments and never felt goosebumps in that setting outside of chance encounters against an opponent I know by name. Being around real people and talking about stuff we love in the games really took the edge off. And I don't think I ever had nervousness in any context for an offline game.

IRL tournaments have gotten my nerves up, but in a good way. I've only ever done some local tournaments for Super Smash Bros. Melee, but even at the local level the energy that comes from enthusiasts that you may or may not know gets nerves going, but is also energizing. I still remember the first time I pulled off a Ken combo (I'm a Marth main) on a Fox main that had garnered quite a bit of attention in the local scene. The subsequent group "OOOOOOOOOH" was thrilling, but also made me nervous because the expectations were so high (I ended up losing in game three against him :().

Aside from that, I find competitive mode in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive to be nerve-racking at times because of just how much one shot can matter, and how once you're down, you're out of the round. That nerve though, like with Melee, can be what energizes you at the same time. You know you have a good game when it can pull that off.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2017 at 7:01 AM, Magical CC said:

When your whole team died and you are the only alive but there are still 5 enemies left. You can feel the eyes of your death teammates judging every step you make.

So basically when you're a Mercy or any Healer main in Overwatch?

I sometimes get nervous if I'm doing a ranked or competitive match in any sort of game with a ranking system.  Can't really explain it, but it happens.  I also got really nervous in tournaments, but I think it's understandable.

Otherwise, I'm okay.

Some platformers do put be on edge with, if not sweaty, at least feeling sweaty hands. I'm only average in the platforming department, and below average with platformers.

And yeah some more brutal RPG foes can do the same- the Storm Emperor in EOU, despite being the supposedly easiest of the dragons and being near level 80, had zero issues brutally mauling my team- doesn't help I forgot the "roar before Torrent" part of their pattern- that I won was pure luck. Blizzard King was easier for me, and that still hit like a truckload. The Great Dragon is going to throw me on edge again for sure, though at least its not so bind/ailment heavy like SE.

Mostly in MOBA's. Gets really bad when i am doing really poorly and team or enemy starts to troll or flame me because i'm doing poorly. Sometimes the enemy is just that good ok ;_;

Echoing what others already stated, I get nervous easily during hard boss fights, particularly those that were very hard to reach in the first place.

Every boss in EOV had me on edge the whole time through.
I remember my heart pounding like crazy during the later chapters of my Conquest Hard Mode playthrough.
The final boss of 7th Dragon III had me sweating buckets because of how hard he was.
I also distinctly remember being very on edge during some Colossus fights in Shadow of the Colossus, particularly the really fast-paced ones.
If the build-up to a final boss is really well done, my heart also starts pounding like crazy on the way to it.

I think I also get nervous easily...