What Hard Video Games did you managed to clear?

King Marth 64

What video games did you find it hard + hard difficulty mode as well did you managed to clear in your playthrough. I did managed to beat some of the hard video games that I managed to complete that are:

• The Mysterious Murasame Castle
  • Donkey Kong Country 2 & 3 on the GBA (I did heard it was one of the hardest games on the SNES)
  • The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures
  • Star Fox Zero (I did heard people complaining about the controls, but I managed to play the demo first to get use to the controls)
  • Fire Emblem Heroes (I beat all the Story Mode Chapters in Lunatic Mode and Paralogues, and plus, this is kinda like the first Fire Emblem game that I managed beat Lunatic Mode)
  • Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels on Super Mario Bros. All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition in the Wii.
  • Super Mario Maker for 100 Mario Challenge in Expert Mode (13 times to get the Mystery Mushroom costumes)
  • StarTropics (two times on Wii Virtual Console and NES Online)
  • Ninja Gaiden (NES version)
  • The Legend of Zelda (NES version)
  • Zelda II: The Adventures of Link
  • Ninja Gaiden II (NES version)
  • Castlevania
  • Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Castlevania: Dracula X
  • Blaster Master
  • Mega Man

I am still haven't cleared on Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Ninja Gaiden III (NES version), and Cuphead.

Edited by King Marth 64
Updating

I Wanna Be The Guy
Ninja Gaiden 2 (nes)
Revenge of Shinobi
Fire Emblem Conquest (Hard)
Batman (nes)
Castlevania Dracula X (snes) (I recall using save states though)
Castlevania III
MegaMari

These ones come to mind.

• Fates: Conquest
  • Binding Blade
  • Link's Awakening (wasn't actually hard but the game confused me a lot. Still loved it though)
  • New Super Mario Bros Wii wasn't hard, but i played it when i was like 9 and i legitimately had trouble with the game. If i go back to it though, i could probably beat it within a day.
  • Mega Man 2 (i used Restore Points tho)

I haven't played that many hard games to be honest, but I guess I can throw out a few names.

God Eater 2 Rage Burst (can be hard if you don't max out support abilities or upgrade your weapon fully or at least get tier 4 combat abilities, that or get really good)

I've also gotten all of Heroes Story modes done (at least the normal ones, chain challenge is another story)

Project X Zone 2 (not necessarily a hard game, but one that requires patience. There's a few levels that still mess me up in it today and I'm on my 3rd playthrough. Plus the endgame being two hours long is something else)

Haven't beaten this one yet but Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier. (so basically as I often call it Boss Gauntlet, as 90% of theb game is boss fights within 2 minutes of another boss, meaning the leveling curve is huge, and the only way to be prepared is grinding up levels and getting better gear, so normal rpg stuff, but very tedious as your characters rarely do very well against bosses and grunts take a little while to kill. Also every enemy in the game can just say "screw you" and force dodge your attacks mid-combo, well they do it when they're close to the ground but at the same time that's where you want to hit them to do extra crit damage, as most bosses are hp sponges and deal a lot of damage)

Does Conquest really count? Yeah it was the hardest out of all fates and the only reason I was able to beat it was me abusing dlc grinding to get my units decently leveled for the game but that's it.

The only game that I have beaten that I would consider hard is the original Legend of Zelda game for NES the hard part about it was figuring out where to go, I used a walkthrough to find everything in the game.  I need to go back and finish the Legend of Zelda ii the adventure of Link, I got about half way through and then stopped and it and BotW are the only Zelda games I have not beaten yet.

Completing Mega Man 1 legitimately with absolutely zero use of save states/Restore Points at any point, for any reason is probably my crowning achievement as a player of video games when it comes to the sheer difficulty of a game I completed. I've also beaten the VVVVVV fangame 333333, albeit on easy mode which was still so tough I kinda dread whatever hard mode is like, and Mega Man Unlimited, another fangame of its respective series, and a pretty darned tough one.

I didn't, like, finish them with flying colors or anything; I had a bit of a rough time of it in spots, but I was able to complete them all legitimately and that's what matters to me.

Mmm, gonna try to focus on games that ask me to do hard things, rather than accomplishments that just took a lot of time and effort, which is what a lot of genres (like RPGs, open world games) boil down to, even on their hard modes.

• Bioshock on its hardest difficulty with no Vita-chambers.
  • Super Meat Boy
  • VVVVVV.
  • The Dark Souls Trilogy
  • I 100%ed Crash Bandicoot 1 as a teenager. People are doing that plenty with the PS4 remake, but on the original PS1 release, you had to do an entire level in one life as another requirement for each gem.
  • Ninja Gaiden (NES)
  • Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link
  • Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix 100% completion on Critical mode.
  • Dead Space 1 on Impossible using only Plasma Cutter and Stasis
  • Final Fantasy 4 DS, the hardest version of the game ever released...and also my first final fantasy, weird.
  • God Hand (Normal Difficulty)
  • God of War (God Mode)
  • Metroid Other M Hard Mode. There are no health expansions, enemies do several times more damage, and your health doesn't drop to 1 on hits that would normally kill you, you just die.
  • Beat every Round 1 challenge on Pokemon Stadium 2 with Rental Pokemon
  • Punch Out!!(Wii) including every Title Defense rematch
Edited by Glennstavos

Of the ones that is listed here and some

Endless Frontier 1 and 2

Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden

Fire Emblem on highest difficulty modes on 5, 6, 12, and Conquest

Aria of Sorrow Julius Mode

EO 3 and Untold 1

SMT4 

SMT SJ

Devil Survivor 1 and 3

Im shit at platformer games but as far as rpg goes in a weirdly hardcore casual in a sense that i would play their hardest mode but proceed to abuse the game to death to make it super easy regardless. My SMT 4 playthrough is a good example in which i played the hardest mode but i did shenanigans like abusing the way Mitama and Stats growth works to create a Long to destroy a huge portion of the game

Or like in SJ i delightfully abuse the infinite Demon Source 

Or Crystal Kaizo where i did some hardcore shit like creating Ancient Power Piloswine and grinding 4 Exeguttor to spam explosion

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

Category 1- Games that are always Hard

Lemmings and Oh No! More Lemmings

Lode Runner Championship Edition

Lode Runner 3-D

Stephen's Sausage Roll

Adventures of Lolo 1-3

Head over Heels

MDK 

MDK 2

Colony Wars

Star Wars : Tie Fighter

Maximo: Ghosts to Glory

Super Meat Boy

Contra

Contra Hard Corps

Contra 3

Turrican

Descent

Descent 2

Dark Souls

Dr. Lunatic Supreme with Cheese

Bard's Tale 2

Root Beer Tapper (1CC full loop)

Puyo Puyo Tsu (1CC)

Smash TV (1CC)

Last Resort (1CC)

Wizardry 4

The Proper Cinematic platformers - Another World, Prince of Persia, Flashback, Oddworld Oddyssey, Oddworld:Exodus

Zelda 1 (Second Quest)

Zelda 2

Category 2- On their Hardest difficulty or for full completion.

Doom

Doom 2

Final Doom

Doom 64

Duke Nukem 3D

Duke Nukem 64

Blood (1997)

Goldeneye 007

Perfect Dark

Timesplitters 2

Call of Duty 4

Halo 2

Metal Arms : Glitch in the System

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4

Mischief Makers

Blast Corps  

Bomberman 64 

Devil May Cry 3

FE 11, FE 12 FE13 FE14 

Category 3 - Arcade or Arcade format beaten with continues

Ghouls and Ghosts

Ghosts and Goblins

Super Ghosts and Goblins

Strider ( I should go and 1CC it, but I don't really care for the cheapness of some bosses)

Ninja Gaiden

Ninja Gaiden 2

Batman (Nes)

Gargoyle's Quest

Battletoads (arcade)

Castelavnia

Castlevania 3

Rondo of Blood

Shinobi

I want to Be The Guy

Tiger Road

Black Tiger

King of Fighters 94, 98, 2002

Super Monkey Ball

Super Monkey Ball 2 (referring to main game, story mode is a lot friendlier)

Pokemon Puzzle League

A huge amount of SHMUPs don't remember them all.

Gradius, Gradius 2, Thunder Force 4, Thunder Force 5, R-Type, R-Type 3, Section Z, Sub-Terrania, Forgotten Worlds, Side Arms,  Fantasy Zone 1-2(and SMS). 

Actraiser 

Megaman 1-8

Megaman X 1-6

Not entirely sure what constitutes hard nowadays, because most of today's "hard" games - non Dark Souls division - are hard for the sake of being hard, usually by calling it "retro" and making it cheap as hell.

But these definitely qualify:

Ninja Gaiden 1 through 3
Castlevania 1, Simon's Quest + 3, + Super Castlevania
Every Zelda before Ocarina of Time
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
Battletoads
Star Tropics
Metroid
Kid Icarus
Metal Storm*
Streets of Rage (2 + 3 weren't too bad, but one was hard as hell).
VVVVVV (though to hell with the perfect clear bollocks)*
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! (the NES game) 14-0
Solomon's Key

An asterisk denotes anything I beat for the first time in the past ten years (I'm 37), which goes to show how much harder it gets over time. Now, I very rarely play a game over the default difficulty and if it's an older game, I'm very likely to use things like savestates.

On 10/26/2017 at 9:00 PM, King Marth 64 said:

• Donkey Kong Country 2 & 3 on the GBA (I did heard it was one of the hardest games on the SNES)

I don't know if 2 and 3 can really be considered hard other than the Lost World and maybe 1-2 normal stages (parachute panic maybe).   The Hard SNES DKC game is the first one - most noticeably due to how water levels and minecarts are so toned down in the sequels, but it's general platforming also edges out the other games (except lost world stages) by the 4th-5th worlds in general. 2 and 3 provide a better "exploration" challenge, for obvious reasons, but in terms of simply surviving the platforming, they aren't that hard.

On 10/27/2017 at 12:36 AM, Glennstavos said:

• Beat every Round 1 challenge on Pokemon Stadium 2 with Rental Pokemon

I don't consider this terribly difficult. The rental pokemon in Stadium 2 for the most part have base 90-100 STAB moves more often than in Stadium 1, and more importantly you get counter/mirror coat / destiny bond. Also Round 1 trainers and not R2?  It's really nice of Stadium 2 to only have 1 tournament with level differences, and at 50-55 the stats per level don't actually represent a very large percent power difference. At Level 15-20 and 25-30 in Staidum 1, the per level percentage matters a lot more- 2.5%x5 in the one and 4%x5 in the other. Ths is why you get stuff like R2 Fisher's alakazam being able to 2HKO the rental chansey.  Honestly I consider the most difficult opponents in any pokemon game to be the R2 Pika Cup Hiker and the R2 Petit Cup Junior Trainer Male. 

22 hours ago, Superbus said:

Super Castlevania
Every Zelda before Ocarina of Time

Personally I've always thought that the multi-direction whip and the reduced importance of sub-weapons puts Super Castlevania a tier below the other classic games in difficulty. I think maybe  some of the jumping gaps are  harder, but there's only really 2 Super Castlevania levels that I would consider harder than the easiest level in 1 or 3 with the remainder of the levels being intentionally more fluid than anything in the other games.

As for Zelda? I think that the Capcom-Oracle games are definately harder than anything other than 1+2 due to the psedo-platforming and many of the bosses lasting longer than other games, especially the final ones. But LttP and Awakening aren't terribly challenging for 90% of the time. I think only like the Ice Cavern and Eagle's Tower come to mind or me. I've heard people say that Awakening is confusing, but compared to the mandatory goron minigame tradequest or skeleton pirates in Ages, I think finding the ghost and doing that maze for the ocarina song so on isn't that bad, especially since the telephone houses are a lot more direct in their hints than the mila tree pause screen hints. 

list of games that I cleared are hard

Platform games:

• Titus the fox: To Marrakesh and back
  • Rayman(The first one)
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Super Mario Bros: The lost levels
  • Claw
  • Kirby Mass Attack(though I didn't 100% it)
  • Mega Man 1 & 3
  • Sonic Lost World(3DS)
  • Sonic Rush Adventure
  • Revenge of the Shinobi
  • Shinobi(game gear)
  • Earthworm Jim 1 & 2

Action/Adventure games:

• Super Metroid
  • Metroid Fusion
  • Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Seasons
  • La-Mulana(original)
  • Shantae(game boy color)

RPG games:

• Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
  • Fire Emblem: Binding Blade
  • Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
  • Phantasy Star 2
  • Final Fantasy 4
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team(Super Hard Mode)
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Ys Book 1 & 2
  • Ys Origin
  • Ys III

General Puzzle games:

• Grim Fandango
  • Secret of Monkey Island
  • Broken Sword 3

That's all on top of my head.