Dealing With Stress and Anxiety

Captain Karnage

So I just finished up 2 of my half semester long classes along with my three other classes, and to be honest I've never felt so stressed in my time in college. Overall I don't think I've ever been good at stress management, I'm not sure how but I ensured that all of my work for the classes were done a few days prior to the assignment being due but I was always feeling overwhelmed and overworked without any sign of relief. With my anxiety, I don't know what to do, I take medication for it but it never seems to help, I was always feeling anxious over the entire nine weeks I just endured but I've been this way since I started college, it just sucks that I can't go a day without feeling dreadful about what I just turned in, constantly worring that I'm going to fail this test, I just can't handle it much more. I'm lucky to say that I'm in my senior year and I don't have much more to worry about other than my level 4000 classes I'll be taking next semester. To continue on my stress, I just can't take these nine week courses, but in my department, where they just split us from criminal justice and merged us with political science, there are only about 48 students with public management as their major, and our department is really only offering our classes in the 9 week variety, which I was already having trouble juggling with the other courses. I feel like I'm about to loose my mind, and I feel all but drained.

long story short, I don't know how to handle my stress and my anxiety

So I just finished up 2 of my half semester long classes along with my three other classes, and to be honest I've never felt so stressed in my time in college. Overall I don't think I've ever been good at stress management, I'm not sure how but I ensured that all of my work for the classes were done a few days prior to the assignment being due but I was always feeling overwhelmed and overworked without any sign of relief. With my anxiety, I don't know what to do, I take medication for it but it never seems to help, I was always feeling anxious over the entire nine weeks I just endured but I've been this way since I started college, it just sucks that I can't go a day without feeling dreadful about what I just turned in, constantly worring that I'm going to fail this test, I just can't handle it much more. I'm lucky to say that I'm in my senior year and I don't have much more to worry about other than my level 4000 classes I'll be taking next semester. To continue on my stress, I just can't take these nine week courses, but in my department, where they just split us from criminal justice and merged us with political science, there are only about 48 students with public management as their major, and our department is really only offering our classes in the 9 week variety, which I was already having trouble juggling with the other courses. I feel like I'm about to loose my mind, and I feel all but drained.

long story short, I don't know how to handle my stress and my anxiety

I know this sounds like dumb advice but what I did a lot to relax and clear my mind when I was in college was yoga, especially the deep breathing.  What you do is stand still with your hands on your stomach and breath in and out slowly while you try to empty your mind and not think of anything.  It helps me when I am stressed and it calms me down, maybe it would help you too.  The other thing I would say is don't try to do too much in one day I mad certain days certain classwork day and only did work for that class on that day rather then cram all the work at once.  Like I would have a math class on a Monday so that day I would just work on math and so on.

If you think you're stressed, I'm currently on academic probation and I only have this semester to go back to a 2.0 GPA or higher or else I'm kicked out of my college. Unfortunately I'm stuck in a major I can barely handle but I already have around 70 credits so it's too late for me to change my major. I fell behind in my classes because of working 5 days a week last month and now I'm struggling to keep my grades up to pass this semester. I'm feeling restless and hopeless lmao. Life has its ways of challenging us.

Edited by Ronnie

I kinda get what you're saying, except you have it much worse and it's beyond your control. My sympathy.

You're probably a much harder worker than me though. 

My own little story. Nowhere near as bad as yours though.

Spoiler

Where am I currently? On SF? More like my "dark playground". A term I borrowed from a TED Talk for where procrastinator goes to escape and enjoy themselves, but really exacts little true joy knowing they have something hanging over their head and not really forgetting it.

I've been and continue to count the weeks until my assignments are due. So far in all my semesters of college, I've never slipped up and fail, but I fear every semester my procrastination will get to me and I will fail hard. I procrastinate, despite making a such a big deal of the due dates long in advance thinking it will get me to act. I never truly been far ahead on anything despite having all the time in the world to do so. I then think on every day I've wasted, adding to the anxiety and guilt.

I regard myself as Luke fon Fabre from Tales of Abyss, not the whiny "I'm the ambassador dammit!" one, the one who is self loathing, realizes they're pathetic and sinful and admits it. Realizes they shouldn't whine about being pathetic and should act to correct it, but nonetheless continues doing some criticizing of their own awfulness, which they know is a vain thing to do.

Hamlet too I find myself sympathizing with. Hamlet is talented, and has the choice of doing the right thing of avenging his father's death, or shirking it and having fun. He chooses the former, but he delays on it forever, not having fun while delaying it, and in the end his delay leads to everyone dying. If he just committed to killing Claudius ASAP or dropped vengeance ASAP, things wouldn't have turned out the way they did.

When I was in college, there were two options that provided the most long-term effectiveness for me:

1. Cognitive behavioral therapy, or CBT. It's daunting to put that much trust into a stranger, but some therapists are incredibly chill and able to picture themselves in your shoes. They're specifically trained to be an impartial ear to a myriad of issues. You'd be surprised how much simply talking about your issues helps. They don't necessarily tell you how to deal with these problems, but they cue your feelings into a certain direction that might lead to some clarity or personal revelation. Furthermore, they might be able to suggest strategies for managing anxiety and depression. They're always on your side. See if your insurance will cover it - in my case, my university covered it as part of our service fee. 

2. Transcendental meditation. It doesn't have to be spiritual. All it takes is a few minutes of your time per day and a quiet room (which might seem a bit of a misnomer in college - which is why I did it outside!). Close your eyes and try to think about nothing other than your own breathing. Tell yourself that, in this moment, no matter how poignant your negative thoughts, you will not succumb to the darkness enveloping you. When you're able to do that, you can start piecing together peaceful images and thoughts in tandem with each breath. Me, I always conjured up the image of frost-glazed pine trees. On particularly bad days, when I found it nearly impossible to visualize any scene, I merely pictured a light collecting in my solar plexus that ebbed and flowed with every breath I took. 

Of course, the above solutions are not for everyone. You'll have to find something that works for you, but I believe that everyone has the potential to better themselves. Other than that, it wouldn't be a bad idea to structure out your days in accordance with your deadlines. Procrastinating is just about the worst thing you can do in college. Nobody plans to do it, obviously, but time management is a crucial skill to master.

This is going to sound stupidly oversimplified, but:

1)  Find something you enjoy doing immensely.

2)  No matter how busy you are--no matter whats in your workload--make it a point to just occasionally drop whatever you're doing and do that thing. Get back to the grind only after you've thoroughly enjoyed yourself.

...really. That's it.

Also when studying, try to do a rewards based study. For instance, lately I've been playing one map of Fire Emblem Warriors for every benchmark in my work. Small rewards like that keep you focused.

I've also been told research shows that a 3-4 minute break every half hour or so is more productive than a straight 3 hour grind.

Try going to a psychiatrist as well. I vented yesterday about how annoying everything was for a half an hour (when my psychiatrist kinda prodded me to do so) and it was actually therapeutic.

Edited by Lord Raven

It may sound silly, but I always found this clip inspirational when I was doubting myself.

Much of my young adulthood was trying to not turn out like much of my family, especially my mother.

I found it helps to have a plan.  Look at your schedule and see where you have gaps.  If you have a couple hour gap between classes, it's very easy to fart around in the commons or something and have a ton of work to do at the end of the day, but if you use that time to work on projects or do some reading, you'll have a lot less to do at the end of the day.

Another thing to go along with planning was to keep the long picture in mind.  I worked 2 jobs during undergrad and would often have one free evening a week.  Do a bit of work each day, but make sure to go to bed at a decent hour.  Being sleep deprived is the worst thing to do for your long term productivity.  Maybe a full 8 hours can't always be done, but always try to get at least 6.

I'm in the same situation as you my man. I've realized that time for relaxation activities is the most important thing, no matter the activity. Whether you game, listen to music, write, draw, drink, get high, whatever it is you enjoy, always make time for it. Having time for gaming is honestly the only thing to have stopped me from having a breakdown.