Super Mario Odyssey is here!

Anacybele

5 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Sunshine speed running gives me life. It was my first speed game and I can really appreciate somebody being able to run at that level. But to talk about Odyssey some more, here's a neat clip from yesterday. A preview of Odyssey's unique movement possibilities.

WOW. That's amazing! I wish I was good enough with the controls to pull off crazy shit like this. xP

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this game so much, but man, some of these purple coins are ridiculous. Also, regarding the motion controls...is there really any reason why you'd want to throw your hat up or to the ground? Like...I don't see anything.

9 minutes ago, Dai said:

I love this game so much, but man, some of these purple coins are ridiculous. Also, regarding the motion controls...is there really any reason why you'd want to throw your hat up or to the ground? Like...I don't see anything.

For throwing up, you can get an extra high jump by holding it up and jumping on it. I, for the life of me, can't get it to work consistently, so I rarely use it.

Don't know why you'd toss it down.

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

For throwing up, you can get an extra high jump by holding it up and jumping on it. I, for the life of me, can't get it to work consistently, so I rarely use it.

Don't know why you'd toss it down.

I'd love to see how that looks on the moon, actually.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

Got a question for y'all. I loved Mario 64 and Sunshine but did not like Galaxy. Would I like this game?

Super Mario Odyssey is essentially Mario 64 and Sunshine on crack really.  So yes you'll love this game.

The downthrow for the hat has been particularly helpful to hit switches below me from off a ledge to make a few timer platforms last that precious second longer that lets me consistently get to the top of a cliff. It also travels along the ground for an extra long distance so for example I can use it to win the slot machine in a single throw.

Also I'd also agree this game is closer to Sunshine, minus booting you out of levels. The levels are roughly a similar size and you spend a lot more time in a few large worlds rather than gathering stars in many tiny worlds like most of Galaxy's levels. Mario's hat techniques and some of his new moves mirror a lot of what he used the FLUDD for in Sunshine. The main game's difficulty is probably closer to Galaxy's though, by giving Mario some of the easier goals to get to a final story confrontation so anyone can complete the game, and with the challenging goals being tucked out of the way (and sometimes finding them is the challenge!) It can kind of feel like railroading until you realize you can completely ignore what the game is telling you to do and go along on your merry way exploring the worlds. If you backtrack, you'll even find some things change after your first visit! There's a real sense of discovery here that makes you feel like the first time you discovered you could change the speed of Tick-Tock Clock in 64 or change the water height in Wet-Dry World by the height of your entry into the painting.

Hearing the game is similar to Sunshine is good for me since that was my favorite 3d Mario.

Is it possible to repeat boss fights? I heard they were letting go the more mission based structure of 64 and Sunshine. In those games I could pick the mission with King boo again to do the boss a second time, is that possible in Odyssey as well?

50 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Hearing the game is similar to Sunshine is good for me since that was my favorite 3d Mario.

Is it possible to repeat boss fights? I heard they were letting go the more mission based structure of 64 and Sunshine. In those games I could pick the mission with King boo again to do the boss a second time, is that possible in Odyssey as well?

Yes, however

You can only do the rematches at a harder difficulty and in two particular kingdoms, maybe three.

2 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

So how does the idiot princess gets kidnapped again?

Bowser and his wedding firm kidnap her so that he can force her to marry him.

...To be frank, why do you care? You've shown your distaste for both Mario and Princess Peach before, I don't really see why you'd be interested now.

19 hours ago, Florete said:

Got a question for y'all. I loved Mario 64 and Sunshine but did not like Galaxy. Would I like this game?

It takes far more from the design philosophy of the first two games. The levels are each an expansive area rather than a collection of linear paths that each lead to a star. Each level has "Missions" that further the plot of the level and let you access more areas, but for most levels it's entirely possible to nab enough moons to reach the next level without even finishing those missions. It's the most open of the 3D Marios for sure, only asking the player to collect 10-15% of moons if you just want to reach the end credits. To contrast, 64 asks you to collect over half its stars, and Sunshine asks you to just complete Episode 7 of the seven different levels while the other shine sprites contribute nothing to the game's progression. Mario Odyssey also rewards the player with a ton of content should they decide to keep playing and exploring.

Edited by Glennstavos

On 11/4/2017 at 11:35 AM, Dai said:

The Jump Rope minigame is the worse thing ever. I refuse to believe that someone *actually* got to 55,555.

...Yeah, that just sounds impossible.

The Dark Side challenge is bullshit too. I thought I was done when I finally managed to beat all four Broodals. I mean, I got a power moon and all. Nope, surprise tougher battle right after, even though you do also get a health restore. What BULLSHIT.

On 11/5/2017 at 6:21 PM, Anacybele said:

...Yeah, that just sounds impossible.

The Dark Side challenge is bullshit too. I thought I was done when I finally managed to beat all four Broodals. I mean, I got a power moon and all. Nope, surprise tougher battle right after, even though you do also get a health restore. What BULLSHIT.

Dark Side is a cakewalk compared to what comes after. 

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

Dark Side is a cakewalk compared to what comes after. 

What comes after? There can't be anymore boss battles aside from rematches with the other kingdom bosses, including Bowser. There aren't any bosses left. Or...is it something akin to Grandmaster Galaxy or that Crown World level in 3D World? I'd honestly rather have the latter...

I did finally clear that Dark Side challenge though. And I also finished solving all the Dark Side hint art! That was fun. ^^

Edited by Anacybele

So far I really like the game. I'm having a lot of fun, it looks nice, it plays nice and I'm a big fan of the exploration and the costumes you will end up getting with the unique currency you will find during that exploration. And Bowser just looks beautiful in that fancy suit. Possessing enemies is also really fun.....and creepy.

But there are two things that bug me.

The world don't really last that long this time around. There's certainly a lot of moons to get but not every one of these moons has a lot of substance behind them. In Sunshine things didn't stop happening in the village after you beat Petey Piranha. More missions got unlocked and Petey would come back for a rematch. I'm missing such structure here.

The second thing I'm not a fan of is that the bosses are just far to easy. If bosses move away from the routine of hitting their weak spots three times its usually in the sense that you only need to hit their weak spot two times. Mario bosses have never been that hard but this is a step down even from that.

Because you never get kicked out of a stage, it makes the acquisition of a lot of the hidden moons feel "easy". However it does get quite hard to find them all and you will eventually find yourself spending a lot of time in one world. Most worlds transform in subtle ways over time as you play as well. Revisits almost always uncover something new. A few worlds have drastic transformation differences between moons.

I agree the bosses are easy but that has always been the case in a Mario game. At least they aren't as tedious as the Sunshine bosses can be with bad RNG patterns or finicky conditions. The Broodals are more minibosses akin to Boom boom in SMB3 but there are more elaborate bosses akin to the ones seen in Galaxy.

Getting some serious vibes of animosity for Pink Floyd from you guys.

Gods, I hadn't realized how badly I wanted to dress up Mario until I played this game. It's incredibly refreshing to put on a new look for each play session or each world. Come to think of it, Breath of the Wild and Pokemon have indulged in clothing options lately too. Can we make fashion a gameplay standard for all Nintendo games moving forward?

Edited by Glennstavos

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

Getting some serious vibes of animosity for Pink Floyd from you guys.

Gods, I hadn't realized how badly I wanted to dress up Mario until I played this game. It's incredibly refreshing to put on a new look for each play session or each world. Come to think of it, Breath of the Wild and Pokemon have indulged in clothing options lately too. Can we make a fashion standard for all Nintendo games moving forward?

I would make a case that that wouldn't quite work for Metroid as well.