Mossvyle's Splices

Mossvyle

Hi! I've picked up an interest in splicing portraits. It's suprisingly relaxing, considering it's basically chopping a bunch of body parts off of portraits to create a Frankenstein's monster that could potentially be gifted the name of "original character." Anyway, I figured I ought to release some portraits into the wide expanses of the internet in order to get feedback. The kitsune ears on the top left portrait and the skin tone on the top middle portrait I put together myself instead of getting them directly from official GBA portraits. If I need to provide larger or smaller portraits to get feedback, please let me know!

Spoiler

Sample_Portrait_Set_1.png.cb80960813cb0450e46fc4a878fd9714.png

Hello there!

I can´t go one by one but I´d say you can clearly see the custom work in all of them. Mainly eyes, brows and hair. (Imo, the most difficult parts to splice).

For eyes I´d suggest just to keep them as in the original mugs, messing with the shading combination can result in alien looks like in the last mug.

For brows, I think there are quite a lot of expressions on the originals too.

Hair is a little bit tricky,  it´s nice to splice a couple of them together ´cause it gives the mug a distinct look so I think you are in the right track. Just be careful with the edges on the hair, they are "cut" very harshly. Take a look at how the strands of hair end on other mugs and you´ll get the hang of it. 

What I like about them is most have a distinct personality.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! Thanks for your advice. My apologies for taking so long to respond, I just wanted to get more portraits done. While I still need to work on the hair of the older portraits, just editing the eyes back to their original shading made the old portraits noticeably better. I have another set of ten portraits, as well as the portraits from the old set that most noticeably improved by restoring the eyes.

Spoiler

Z_Sample_Portrait_Set_2.png.9f2e1a9e914b476bfeaa942dd761dc67.png

Spoiler

Z_Before_After_Pics.png.27e50ad93be1a8ca37d8cbdc6a3ec08d.png