Koei is apparently very happy with the sales

5 minutes ago, guedesbrawl said:

It is hard when you are honestly offered what is in the end a better deal by giving each game/continent more careful consideration throughout a few games. Fates and Awakening would've never gotten as many characters as they did in the final game if not for focus games. Other games will also get similar treatment, with the low bar of 4 reps from SD being what is the maximum any series would offer at base with your idea.

I don't think it's the fact Shadow Dragon got only 3 reps that's the problem. It's the fact that they got outnumbered by the miscellaneous cast when they were billed as a focus- if I'm told the cast will focus on three games, I expect that those three games will have roughly equal distribution. Instead, Shadow Dragon hovers dangerously close to the representation size of Blazing Blade.

In a theoretical game that distributes representation among the seven continents, I'd expect all seven groups to get roughly equal proportions- so a cast of three would not be a symptom of shafting, but of what we were looking for. Much less of a disappointment/slap-in-the-face/whatever kids are calling it.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

I don't think it's the fact Shadow Dragon got only 3 reps that's the problem. It's the fact that they got outnumbered by the miscellaneous cast when they were billed as a focus- if I'm told the cast will focus on three games, I expect that those three games will have roughly equal distribution. Instead, Shadow Dragon hovers dangerously close to the representation size of Blazing Blade.

In a theoretical game that distributes representation among the seven continents, I'd expect all seven groups to get roughly equal proportions- so a cast of three would not be a symptom of shafting, but of what we were looking for. Much less of a disappointment/slap-in-the-face/whatever kids are calling it.

I'd once again blame IS/Ninty for this. This "misc" cast wasn't supposed to exist at all, and SD was meant to have 4 reps.

I understand why people would be mad, but eh. The intended roster had Awakening with 7 reps, each side of Fates with 7 reps (Corrin pulling double time in both BR and CQ), and SD at 4. Given that Marth only got one game from the 2 his full cast shows up plus the possibility of stealth reps when SoV becomes a focus game or gets DLC packs (Camus)...

Given the difference in popularity and recency, I think it's fairly acceptable if not predictable to have SD with less people.

Besides, the SD cast was much bigger than the awakening cast in TMS#FE and Marth has 3 smashes under his belt, so that side of the franchise already spend all their crossover slots there lol

Edited by guedesbrawl

4 hours ago, Thane said:

The mechanics would remain the same, but the representation better, and it'd be great seeing older characters in glorious 3D. Hell, one of the best things in Heroes is seeing old blokes with new art and voice acting.

Also, if I were making suggestions purely out of wish-fulfillment, I'd cram in a few Laguz royals in there for sure! 

Other than not knowing whether or not a sequel is even in the works, which it very may well be, it'd still cost us another 60 dollars. I would've minded it less if they had included more installments in the DLC, but instead we'll just get more of the same, which feels like a wasted opportunity. 

If that were to be the case, when then would those that are to appear in DLC ever appear? Tho we don't yet know the full extent to DLC beside this first wave, this is a fair opinion

3 hours ago, TheRadiantKnight said:

warrior titles don't get updated every month. When will the next warriors come out in 2 years probably 3 or more. Will it represent all games no most likely not and were getting a new fire emblem game so older games have even less chance of being represented. And then wait for warriors 3 by that the next fire emblem game fe switch 2 will probably be out. You see were im going with this. they could have made an more equal base. So everyone gets something. Not all will be completly satisfied, but at least won't be forgotten.

As for mechanics why would they change with other characters as it stands something like my roster post in this thread is more equal reprensentation of games while still having good weapon variety.

And one more i think nobody in this thread said anything about the mechanics being bad or don't liking warrior games. It's all about taking 25% of the games in the character department and call it a crossover when much more would have been possible with little change on effort and probably almost none to mechanics.

And to make matters worse the good sales will strengthen them in there belief they did everything right.

Whose to say that it will always be a 3 game focus? This first entry involved making move sets from scratch . Now that there's a basic framework, they now have the liberty to up the scales, tho by how much is uncertain.

If you recall my very first sentence, it was a general statement aimed at no one in particular, even if inspired by a few earlier posts. Even so, there are problems with your list too. For instance, while it certain does add to axes, it shafts bows, healers, mounted mages and the most unique person in the game (tiki). Also, its impossible to include Fates without both Ryoma and Xander, the two faces of their respective sides, who, while adding two more swords, also provide different classes; something that the game needs. Idk what you mean by having Robin, Corrin and Celica unique, when honestly, there's nothing really wrong with them as they are. While Celica who could be semi-cloned at most with magical strong attacks, that she primarily uses a sword isn't an issue in this context. Really, most of it boils down to all of them being stretched too thin. Its bad enough that Shadow Dragon got the shorter stick in what we already have. What you have here is an entire cast of short sticks, which isn't an improvement. Then there's the convenient removal of Rowan & Lianna, the actual lords that create the premise for the game.

Good sales =/= they did everything right. Any business with an actual vision must always be looking for how they can improve, 'else a lot of what we see today would not exist out of lack of ambition. For example, given that Awakening had the best sales to date, with that logic, Fates would not have made any of the improvements that it made to game play. 

15 minutes ago, Motendra said:

Whose to say that it will always be a 3 game focus? This first entry involved making move sets from scratch . Now that there's a basic framework, they now have the liberty to up the scales, tho by how much is uncertain.

If you recall my very first sentence, it was a general statement aimed at no one in particular, even if inspired by a few earlier posts. Even so, there are problems with your list too. For instance, while it certain does add to axes, it shafts bows, healers, mounted mages and the most unique person in the game (tiki). Also, its impossible to include Fates without both Ryoma and Xander, the two faces of their respective sides, who, while adding two more swords, also provide different classes; something that the game needs. Idk what you mean by having Robin, Corrin and Celica unique, when honestly, there's nothing really wrong with them as they are. While Celica who could be semi-cloned at most with magical strong attacks, that she primarily uses a sword isn't an issue in this context. Really, most of it boils down to all of them being stretched too thin. Its bad enough that Shadow Dragon got the shorter stick in what we already have. What you have here is an entire cast of short sticks, which isn't an improvement. Then there's the convenient removal of Rowan & Lianna, the actual lords that create the premise for the game.

Good sales =/= they did everything right. Any business with an actual vision must always be looking for how they can improve, 'else a lot of what we see today would not exist out of lack of ambition. For example, given that Awakening had the best sales to date, with that logic, Fates would not have made any of the improvements that it made to game play. 

With the second game they have to focus on fe switch and probably give close to fates reprensentation in this game at base without dlc. So how many new characters can we expect probably less than than 25 more would be wishful thinking. Given how much they loved fates which is shown in there interview after the lyn reveal and if fe switch will be close to fates they will probably again add about 8-10 characters from that game which doesn't leave enough room for more then two other focus games. Of course this only applies because they handled 1 the way they did.

My list was only a suggestion and an example of weapon balanced list with 25 slots and 9 games i even said one could remove minerva for jeorge or like you suggested tiki. It wasn't final. Lissa could also be healer instead of an axe user if one wanted.

Ryoma and Xander wouldn't add variety in terms of classes we already would have mounted and foot sword users. Removing them would also present a unique situation for corrin, wanting to go back stopping them from continuing the war and fear he/she will be to late giving an incentive to end this conflict.

For the short stick argument it only works now because we got this game with huge casts for awakening/fates if from the beginning we now 2-4 per game that wouldn't feel like short sticks because we wouldn't have huge differences.

And just because i would have liked it when all games were represented i could compromise ,something the developers couldn't as it seems, because they love fates so much. My roster included only 9 games instead of all 12 for example. The thing is a compromise between 12 and 1 or 3 shouldn't be 3. 3 is just that magical hyrule warriors number.

With dlc we have 34 characters so thats what were working with if they went with a 6 games approach we could have 5-6 characters per pretty decent and leaves room for weapon and class variety. 4 characters per game in the 25 strong base game plus one protagonist.

The good sales argument was maybe a bit harsh, but good sales on selfish (more than need be i know they have to earn money but again compromise) decisions and almost downright offensive PR is a signal i don't want to send out.

1 hour ago, TheRadiantKnight said:

Ryoma and Xander wouldn't add variety in terms of classes we already would have mounted and foot sword users. Removing them would also present a unique situation for corrin, wanting to go back stopping them from continuing the war and fear he/she will be to late giving an incentive to end this conflict.

Warriors games don't remove characters.

45 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Warriors games don't remove characters.

Thankfully. I would much prefer that they build on a solid foundation than wipe the slate.

That said, I could perhaps see the sequel focusing on new original lords, with Rowan and Lianna relegated to alternate costumes for a new, hopefully more likeable, main lord (like Darios) with the same (or similar) moveset.

42 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

DQH2 only brought back half a dozen characters from the first game, having a roster that was largely new.

Yeah but they went with more of the RPG route with Dragon Quest, I wouldn't even call them proper warriors games to be quite frank. As good as they are.

17 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Yeah but they went with more of the RPG route with Dragon Quest, I wouldn't even call them proper warriors games to be quite frank. As good as they are.

It's still the best reference point we have, being the most recent sequel to a crossover. 

I personally very much doubt that a FEW2 would retain most of the original's cast, especially if they're going to recycle qausi-class based movesets (people would not shut up about 4 or more PKs). A few popular/important characters may show up in side modes, but I think it'll be mostly its own thing.

28 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

It's still the best reference point we have, being the most recent sequel to a crossover. 

I personally very much doubt that a FEW2 would retain most of the original's cast, especially if they're going to recycle qausi-class based movesets (people would not shut up about 4 or more PKs). A few popular/important characters may show up in side modes, but I think it'll be mostly its own thing.

Actually, I think pretty much every character from this game will return in a sequel. If they rebooted the cast for every game, we'd honestly end up with an equally small roster for each FEW game.

So it seems the sequel may potentially be on the plate. See ya next year (or next next year) FEW2.

If FEW2 had Alm + some other SOV characters and the rest of Gen 1 Elibe it would probably sell better. And then add FE Switch- they can probably expect better sales.

3 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

So it seems the sequel may potentially be on the plate. See ya next year (or next next year) FEW2.

If FEW2 had Alm + some other SOV characters and the rest of Gen 1 Elibe it would probably sell better. And then add FE Switch- they can probably expect better sales.

I'm in the camp that expects more Archanae(Including Alm), FE: Switch, and Elibe.

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I'm in the camp that expects more Archanae(Including Alm), FE: Switch, and Elibe.

It would be madness to name Ike alongside Roy and yet not have anything Tellius. Path of Radiance will have presence, if only at SD levels.

5 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

It would be madness to name Ike alongside Roy and yet not have anything Tellius. Path of Radiance will have presence, if only at SD levels.

People love Ike, but saleswise, Tellius sold even less than the Jugdral games(Mostly carried by Genealogy since Thracia sold like crap, but still).

Edited by Slumber

50 minutes ago, Slumber said:

People love Ike, but saleswise, Tellius sold even less than the Jugdral games(Mostly carried by Genealogy since Thracia sold like crap, but still).

People also love Micaiah and Tellius is still more praised than disliked by those who did play it. Its sales are not reflective of how much people like it at all.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

People also love Micaiah and Tellius is still more praised than disliked by those who did play it. Its sales are not reflective of how much people like it at all.

Both Tellius games were also released with inopportune circumstances. PoR was released late into the life cycle of the lukewarm Gamecube and RD was released long after the Wii became stigmatized as a casual console and started gathering dust for a majority of the potential FE audience. 

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

If IS/Nintendo/Koei cared at all what people say they liked, they wouldn't have made Fates the most prominent part of FEW. But Fates sold the most, and is the most popular, so it got more representation.

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

If IS/Nintendo/Koei cared at all what people say they liked, they wouldn't have made Fates the most prominent part of FEW. But Fates sold the most, and is the most popular, so it got more representation.

Yet NME is the best selling game in Japan, but Archanea got the smallest representation for a focus title.

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Perhaps. But Ike did happen to win the biggest ever voting gauntlet in Heroes, despite the voting gauntlet being heavily weighted against male heroes and Ike being up against one of the most popular characters in Fates. If Heroes doesn't represent a general consumer audience, I don't know what does.

And he also won the FE community poll by a landslide, meaning that Ike is the most popular character in the franchise with both the casual and hardcore audience. And Nintendo knows it.

Just now, Etheus said:

Perhaps. But Ike did happen to win the biggest ever voting gauntlet in Heroes, despite the voting gauntlet being heavily weighted against male heroes and Ike being up against one of the most popular characters in Fates. If Heroes doesn't represent a general consumer audience, I don't know what does.

And he also won the FE community poll by a landslide, meaning that Ike is the most popular character in the franchise with both the casual and hardcore audience. And Nintendo knows it.

Yes, I agree, Ike is very popular. Which is why I expect him, and pretty much only him, to be the only Tellius character we see for a long while.

8 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Fates and Awakening happen to be what's new and marketable. Archanea is only marketable to Japan, not really the west.

There's already a precedent for representing games because of one popular character (i.e. Archanea and Marth) so Tellius getting characters just because it has Ike wouldn't be too farfetched, not to mention that some characters like Nephenee, Mia, the Black Knight, and Soren did fairly well in the CYL poll.

As for my controversial opinion of the day, I suspect that Valentia will mostly be skipped over aside from including Alm for the sake of Celica and Kyle McCarley.

Edited by Lightchao42