Koei is apparently very happy with the sales

19 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Both Tellius games were also released with inopportune circumstances. PoR was released late into the life cycle of the lukewarm Gamecube and RD was released long after the Wii became stigmatized as a casual console and started gathering dust for a majority of the potential FE audience. 

This too. It saddens me how many people ignore this and just keep going "Tellius had lol sales."

1 minute ago, Lightchao42 said:

There's already a precedent for representing games because of one popular character (i.e. Archanea and Marth) so Tellius getting characters just because it has Ike wouldn't be too farfetched, not to mention that Tellius's characters did fairly well in the CYL poll.

Yeah, as I said, people also really like Micaiah and to a lesser extent, Mia and Nephenee. I can't understand why any of these three are popular, but they are.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

There's already a precedent for representing games because of one popular character (i.e. Archanea and Marth) so Tellius getting characters just because it has Ike wouldn't be too farfetched, not to mention that Tellius's characters did fairly well in the CYL poll.

As for my controversial opinion of the day, I suspect that Valentia will mostly be skipped over aside from including Alm for the sake of Celica and Kyle McCarley.

I certainly would skip Valentia. Alm, Celica, and Berkut are the only real standouts, IMO. If I were to add more characters, I'd pretty much just add Lukas and Conrad to give Alm and Celica each one iconic companion. 

Edited by Etheus

57 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

This too. It saddens me how many people ignore this and just keep going "Tellius had lol sales."

It's too bad people like myself that missed out on them can't go back and play them now with how (usually) overly expensive it is to get a copy, if you can even find one. Otherwise I'd be happy to go back and try them out. 

I'm hoping with the "good" sales Koei will drop some free character dlc like HW got, though I'm pretty doubtful it'll be Ike or Roy with the comments they made about a sequel. Granted, it's hard to take their word for anything with how all over the place they were about what they were and weren't trying to do with this game. 

1 minute ago, Alkaid said:

It's too bad people like myself that missed out on them can't go back and play them now with how (usually) overly expensive it is to get a copy, if you can even find one. Otherwise I'd be happy to go back and try them out.

Yeah, this is why we really need them to be downloadable on VC or remade or something.

the only thing i can say for sure is i dont think any villans that would appear in a sequel will be playable, like ashnar, Lyon, and the Like, While unfortunate I guess makes sense due to it not making sense for villans to have supports with heroes.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, as I said, people also really like Micaiah and to a lesser extent, Mia and Nephenee. I can't understand why any of these three are popular, but they are.

It just makes me remember when atokad11 was making his "small tribute to a great FE girl" series and Micaiah was the most viewed video. My how times have changed.

I'm still trying to figure out if there's precedent for there being a second pack of DLC. I guess if Koei is also happy with the sales of the current DLC then maybe.  I expect if we do then it will focus on Shadow Dragon, Echoes and Awakening (adding characters like Jagen/Draug/Merric/Camus, Alm/Berkut/Mycen, Inigo/Severa/Nowi), and then FEW2 would feature Blazing Blade + Roy, Lilina, Radiant Dawn and New Mystery. If there's no DLC 2, then FEW2 will probably add Echoes characters there instead of more from Marth's game(s).

Actually I think they'd probably do new New Mystery anyway, just to give the Archanea characters something different to talk about in Supports. Probably not add many new characters from there other than Katarina. Actually if all the characters come back they'd probably change where Fates and Awakening characters are in the story too, maybe Fates from Revelation and Awakening from after the time jump.

34 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

It just makes me remember when atokad11 was making his "small tribute to a great FE girl" series and Micaiah was the most viewed video. My how times have changed.

1. That guy had certain perceptions of those girls. If you didn't agree you got insulted.

2. I kind of know better now: Those slide shows are pretty much uncredited pixiv art exhibitions. Some of them like the Ninian card I remember (which is now lost in time) has never been sourced. Ever.

On 10/29/2017 at 7:25 AM, Harvey said:

Why do I get the feeling that its more of PR talk and less about talking things seriously?

There is no way that they could possibly make a lot of buck from the Switch all of a sudden....right?

"They couldn't possibly be successful. Fake news."  is essentially what you're saying.

What reason would they have to lie about their profits? If it bombs, it would have been like Genei Ibun Roku #FE (Tokyo Mirage Sessions)

They wouldn't have said ANYTHING.

Edited by shadowofchaos

4 hours ago, Etheus said:

Both Tellius games were also released with inopportune circumstances. PoR was released late into the life cycle of the lukewarm Gamecube and RD was released long after the Wii became stigmatized as a casual console and started gathering dust for a majority of the potential FE audience. 

That's not true at all for Radiant Dawn. It came out in the Wii's 2nd year, when hardcore games were still selling. The big drop was afterwards.

I may be reading into it wrong (since it is kinda late)    but some comments here make me think people are forgetting that the three game's focus was not popularity alone, (if at all) , but because they had milestones to justify their higher priority. Shadow Dragon,  as well as having the mascot of the series, is the oldest game.  Awakening was the grand reboot button,  and was intended to be a celebration of the franchise in of itself.  Fates, when this game was developed, was the next big thing.  (though it has lost that title).

I am probably just being a cynic,  but if there is a sequel,  I would expect a focus on FE Switch and Blazing Blade (the former would be the newest, and the latter is essentially western Shadow Dragon) , with Ike and Roy as bonuses.  While they themselves are popular, the only thing (that I can think of anyway) their games have is Tellius being the first consle games,  and Binding Blade's connection to Blazing Blade, which I personally don't think is major enough to warrant full representation. They might just get a couple of Greil Mercenaries and Lillina to join them at most. 

5 hours ago, shadowofchaos said:

1. That guy had certain perceptions of those girls. If you didn't agree you got insulted.

2. I kind of know better now: Those slide shows are pretty much uncredited pixiv art exhibitions. Some of them like the Ninian card I remember (which is now lost in time) has never been sourced. Ever.

Yep- just look at Micaiah's video. I remember he didn't like her and "aggressively disagreed" with anyone otherwise. I don't think he cares anymore, and he's definitely more on the downlow nowadays. And yeah there's the issue about the uncredited pictures, so he probably couldn't get away with it today. Granted, he does his own artwork now, but it's more on the nsfw side, totally not YouTube friendly.

4 hours ago, Truthblade said:

I may be reading into it wrong (since it is kinda late)    but some comments here make me think people are forgetting that the three game's focus was not popularity alone, (if at all) , but because they had milestones to justify their higher priority. Shadow Dragon,  as well as having the mascot of the series, is the oldest game.  Awakening was the grand reboot button,  and was intended to be a celebration of the franchise in of itself.  Fates, when this game was developed, was the next big thing.  (though it has lost that title).

I am probably just being a cynic,  but if there is a sequel,  I would expect a focus on FE Switch and Blazing Blade (the former would be the newest, and the latter is essentially western Shadow Dragon) , with Ike and Roy as bonuses.  While they themselves are popular, the only thing (that I can think of anyway) their games have is Tellius being the first consle games,  and Binding Blade's connection to Blazing Blade, which I personally don't think is major enough to warrant full representation. They might just get a couple of Greil Mercenaries and Lillina to join them at most. 

While this is true..

At the time of development, Fates, Awakening and Shadow Dragon were the three most recent international titles. I think that's really the main reason for them being the focus titles. It helps that Marth is the original face of Fire Emblem.  Lyn got in arguably because she is the international Marth, and Celica was promotional for their upcoming remake. 

3 hours ago, dmurr said:

While this is true..

At the time of development, Fates, Awakening and Shadow Dragon were the three most recent international titles. I think that's really the main reason for them being the focus titles. It helps that Marth is the original face of Fire Emblem.  Lyn got in arguably because she is the international Marth, and Celica was promotional for their upcoming remake. 

Shadow Dragon was definitely selected because Marth and his games are the oldest ones in the series (they essentially started the franchise). Awakening was picked because it melds old and new elements (nevermind that it started some of the new elements too, like Pair-Up), and Fates was picked because it was the newest game out at the time. Lyn was indeed picked because she is our "Marth" in a way (which actually provides a reason besides popularity for her inclusion) an Celica was picked to promote Echoes. As such, there's very little actual content for Blazing Blade and Gaiden than there is for the rest (only one character each, playable or not, one History Map each that actually uses the cast from the focus games as the major characters in the roles they take, and five weapons).

Also, Lyn and Celica's inclusion doesn't mean we're guaranteed other characters from their game for the sequel: They could choose to focus on the new Switch game, Binding Blade (Roy's game), and Path of Radiance (Ike's game) while carrying over the mainline FE cast from this game, essentially expanding the cast of this game with new additions from other games, and perhaps one or two non-focus characters. There's no need to reboot the cast for every game after all.

7 hours ago, Truthblade said:

Yes that is enough reason to put reprensentation of those games in, but why only 3 games given how many characters we got 25 in the base game 34 with dlc. With 6 games for example we could get around 4 characters from every focus game in the base game and 5-6 after one dlc pack which is decent representation for a crossover game and more fair. But Koei developers seem to be fates fans as shown on the first page of this interview.

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-warriors-devs-on-characters-and-handling-of-reveals-designs-story-systems-modes/

They justified all fates siblings because leaving one out would make the others worry to much to make the story progress. Wouldn't this apply to other charaters as well? Couldn't they even make that an incentive for the siblings that got in to fight harder? But the devs loved fates so they wanted as many of them as possible making little compromise.

They were even discussing removing some like hinoka but a developer said i married her don't do this. While this could be meant in a joking matter it shows they have played fates, they loved fates ,they gonna pander to fates fans because they are as well. there wishfullment is what gave us this little reprensentation and imbalance.

Edited by TheRadiantKnight

3 minutes ago, TheRadiantKnight said:

Yes that is enough reason to put reprensentation of those games in, but why only 3 games given how many characters we got 25 in the base game 34 with dlc. With 6 games for example we could get around 4 characters from every focus game in the base game and 5-6 after one dlc pack which is decent representation for a crossover game and more fair. But Koei developers seem to be fates fans as shown on the first page of this interview.

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-warriors-devs-on-characters-and-handling-of-reveals-designs-story-systems-modes/

They justified all fates siblings because leaving one out would make the others worry to much to make the story progress. Wouldn't this apply to other charaters as well? Couldn't they even make that an incentive for the siblings that got in to fight harder? But the devs loved fates so they wanted as many of them as possible making little compromise.

They were even discussing removing some like hinoka but a developer said i married her don't do this. While this could be meant in a joking matter it shows they have played fates, they loved fates ,they gonna pander to fates fans because they are as well. there wishfullment is what gave us this little reprensentation and imbalance.

Why should Fates fans not be pandered to? Fates is a Fire Emblem through and through, and as the focus game with one of the highest potential for varied characters in terms of class representation, I'd rather take as many as I can of those.

9 hours ago, NeonZ said:

That's not true at all for Radiant Dawn. It came out in the Wii's 2nd year, when hardcore games were still selling. The big drop was afterwards.

Real reason it bombed was because it was hardly marketed. That, and Super Mario Galaxy released in the same year (granted, it happened a few months later but Mario will always outsell FE).

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Real reason it bombed was because it was hardly marketed. That, and Super Mario Galaxy released in the same year (granted, it happened a few months later but Mario will always outsell FE).

It was released 10 days after it in the US; the only gap of "months" was its Japanese and EU releases.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

It was released 10 days after it in the US; the only gap of "months" was its Japanese and EU releases.

Not to mention that the game quickly gained a reputation for a bad difficulty curve and excessive difficulty (neither of which were unjustified, to be fair) because of the difficulties being mislabeled (Normal being labeled Easy, Hard being labeled Normal, and Lunatic being labeled Hard). At least that's what I've heard. And I certainly remember that being the press issue at the time.

A general audience is usually going to steer away from something known for high difficulty and bad difficulty spikes, Souls series aside.

1 hour ago, Folt said:

Why should Fates fans not be pandered to? Fates is a Fire Emblem through and through, and as the focus game with one of the highest potential for varied characters in terms of class representation, I'd rather take as many as I can of those.

The extend of the pandering is the the problem. Fates can get the most representatives for all i care, but this is fire emblem warriors not fates warriors and other fans shouldn't be forgotten. I don't want to be forgotten as a fire emblem fan (less focused on is ok but forgotten)  because i like the (wrong) fire emblem. And with 25 (34 after dlc 1) more was possible, feasible and more fair.

And with all that fates reprensentation that there is 9+3 which is ridiculous did we get the o so unique classes of fates maids, butlers, ninjas... no, but you make it sound like we did.  So they chose this road and didn't even deliver on that. Most classes we got out of fates are in the other games as well.

And doesn't for example tellius offer uniqueness through laguz.

Your comment shows my main problem with the devs and the fans overdefending this when it comes to what games/characters they focused on. The unwillingness to compromise. I get reprensenting all games is hard but the space between 12 and 3 isn't void. 

22 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Not to mention that the game quickly gained a reputation for a bad difficulty curve and excessive difficulty (neither of which were unjustified, to be fair) because of the difficulties being mislabeled (Normal being labeled Easy, Hard being labeled Normal, and Lunatic being labeled Hard). At least that's what I've heard. And I certainly remember that being the press issue at the time.

A general audience is usually going to steer away from something known for high difficulty and bad difficulty spikes, Souls series aside.

Radiant Dawn also didn't review well because of its lack of motion controls, and not looking much better than a GC game, two major complaints that haven't stood the test of time.

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Radiant Dawn also didn't review well because of its lack of motion controls, and not looking much better than a GC game, two major complaints that haven't stood the test of time.

Could you even imagine how much of a travesty motion controls would be in a Fire Emblem game? 

3 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Could you even imagine how much of a travesty motion controls would be in a Fire Emblem game? 

It would be a disaster, but this was the early days of the Wii. It hadn't set in to a lot of people how out of place motion controls are for most games, so any game without them, regardless of the genre, was docked points.

It says a lot that we're now at a point where people are complaining about a game as revered as Super Mario Odyssey for having motion controls.

Edited by Slumber

22 minutes ago, Slumber said:

It would be a disaster, but this was the early days of the Wii. It hadn't set in to a lot of people how out of place motion controls are for most games, so any game without them, regardless of the genre, was docked points.

It says a lot that we're now at a point where people are complaining about a game as revered as Super Mario Odyssey for having motion controls.

This is the sort of reason I like reviewers that review old games.

59 minutes ago, TheRadiantKnight said:

The extend of the pandering is the the problem. Fates can get the most representatives for all i care, but this is fire emblem warriors not fates warriors and other fans shouldn't be forgotten. I don't want to be forgotten as a fire emblem fan (less focused on is ok but forgotten)  because i like the (wrong) fire emblem. And with 25 (34 after dlc 1) more was possible, feasible and more fair.

And with all that fates reprensentation that there is 9+3 which is ridiculous did we get the o so unique classes of fates maids, butlers, ninjas... no, but you make it sound like we did.  So they chose this road and didn't even deliver on that. Most classes we got out of fates are in the other games as well.

And doesn't for example tellius offer uniqueness through laguz.

Your comment shows my main problem with the devs and the fans overdefending this when it comes to what games/characters they focused on. The unwillingness to compromise. I get reprensenting all games is hard but the space between 12 and 3 isn't void. 

I'm talking in terms of regular FE classes, not the special ones that wouldn't have made it in anyways... No wait! Butlers and Ninjas and so on actually made it in as enemy variants so scratch that.

And a compromise was indeed made between all who worked on this game: Focus on these three games for now, then include more games in the next one if this sells well (which it appears to have done, not that I ever doubted that). Fire Emblem is more than just characters and gradually introducing the rest as we get more is fine. It's a Musou with Fire Emblem elements, not a celebration of abso-fucking-lutely everything.

Plus, I'm enjoying the shout-outs to the other FEs which didn't make the cut. It's hilarious stuff.

51 minutes ago, Folt said:

I'm talking in terms of regular FE classes, not the special ones that wouldn't have made it in anyways... No wait! Butlers and Ninjas and so on actually made it in as enemy variants so scratch that.

And a compromise was indeed made between all who worked on this game: Focus on these three games for now, then include more games in the next one if this sells well (which it appears to have done, not that I ever doubted that). Fire Emblem is more than just characters and gradually introducing the rest as we get more is fine. It's a Musou with Fire Emblem elements, not a celebration of abso-fucking-lutely everything.

Plus, I'm enjoying the shout-outs to the other FEs which didn't make the cut. It's hilarious stuff.

Enemy classes wouldn't disappear because fates went from 9(12) to something like 5(7) characters. Enemies isn't what i was talking about. And to reiterate what i said in the post you replied to there isn't only 3 or 12 games as options theres for example something like 6/5/4/4/4/2 pre dlc (maybe 8/7/6/6/5/2 after dlc) covering 5 games(5 orbs) giving fates and awakening extra still include 2 oc protagonists and creating a base which built upon could include characters from all continueties by game 2 covering all games by game 3 reasonable.

3 wasn't a compromise it was a given like they could only take 1 game.

If having one or to characters of my fav game less in one or more of the warriors games gives a hole game and fans of this game room it is sacrifice im willing to take especially in a crossover game.

fates sold this much more than older games because of lucky circumstances like actual marketing have a way for no veterans to enjoy it with casual mode which is a good edition.

But marketing and especially nintendo directs letting people know these games exists are what moved sales. And the marriage stuff to certain extend.

Give them more ok, but why almost anything. Why centralise love for a series instead of spreading it. Show the new fans that there is more stuff different stuff something they might be interested in, while still giving them stuff they enjoyed already.