First Time Awakening (Hard/Classic)

Mandokarla

I bought the game two days ago and I have just reached chapter 22. I've found that a lot of the child units are hard to get going at a good time, mostly because the difficulty of their chapters varies SO drastically. Owain's was easy as piss, but Severa's was actually kinda hard the first time I went at it, and then Nah's is weird too. It's all weird. So I've hard to use the worldmap encounters to get most of the children going. I've also felt that a bad pairing in this game feels more punishing for the kid than in Fates (maybe its because the optimal kids in this game are so much stronger than the optimal kids in Fates, so by comparison...). The story is also significantly better than Fates, which I knew beforehand, but it feels good to give a shit about a newer FE game's plot and characters again.

My robin is +Mag, -Str, and paired with Anna to create my adorable little Morgan -- who I made an Assassin for variety. Want to know how I beat both of the Walhart chapters? I paired myself up with my daughter and Morgan quite literally soloed the map with a Levin Sword. She killed Walhart with Lethality both times actually. Morgan is best daughter, she's just so busted. And adorable.

The game is definitely pretty damn unbalanced, but I do kind of enjoy that. The characters feel like they are just overall better than most of Fates' characters -- even if they have a trope, there is a deeper character most of the time, where in Fates a deeper character was hard to find, and most of them were on the Nohr route. 

So far, I've had more fun in Awakening than I have in either Conquest or Revelations, and I can see how much replay value IS built into the game by default. I can see where the longtime FE vets take issue with the game, but so far I've not felt that any aspect of the game was just so egregiously bad that It spoiled my mood. 

I have yet to really play with Second Seal abuse, I only used it on Gaius to get make him a myrmidon before master sealing him to Assassin -- where he has been performing very, very well. His support with Nowi is pretty cute too. 

Overall, I think Awakening is a pretty solid game, I enjoy it. Will I ever attempt Lunatic/Lunatic+? Probably not, because I know how fucking stupid those difficulties are in this game. Do you guys have any tips for future playthroughs and for the endgame? Is it worth picking up Nah, Noire, and Batman (kids I haven't grabbed yet). 

Nah and Gerome not really. Noire? YES. She's awesome and adorable. Second seal and go for the best skills for your units before deciding their final class. Endgame unlike Fates is its own chapter so you don't have to worry about doing 2 chapters in 1. Just get to the final boss and don't worry about reinforcements. You'll know who you need to use.

• 1 month later...

My Awakening copy will arrive soon, I ordered it some days ago. Did you already finish your first run, @Mandokarla?

If I start with "normal" difficulty, will I miss some content in comparison to hard/lunatic?

Is there some kind of non-spoilered FaQ for Awakening? Are there some heavily recommended DLCs to get before to start? 

2 hours ago, mampfoid said:

My Awakening copy will arrive soon, I ordered it some days ago. Did you already finish your first run, @Mandokarla?

If I start with "normal" difficulty, will I miss some content in comparison to hard/lunatic?

Is there some kind of non-spoilered FaQ for Awakening? Are there some heavily recommended DLCs to get before to start? 

First of all, Necro, plz don't. Secondly, I finished like 4 runs. No missed content, but normal is piss easy, and Hard isn't difficult until Endgame IMO. Lunatic seems to be an unbalanced mess. I don't have any DLCs.

1 hour ago, Mandokarla said:

First of all, Necro, plz don't. Secondly, I finished like 4 runs. No missed content, but normal is piss easy, and Hard isn't difficult until Endgame IMO. Lunatic seems to be an unbalanced mess. I don't have any DLCs.

Ah, I didn't see topic was that dead, sorry. I'm used to the Heroes forum where all topics from the first page are only some days old. 

I'll start with hard then, thank you!