2 hours ago, RedRob said:

I imagine Daein starting a war, being the country who was formed when they seceded from Begnion due to opposing the Laguz being given rights, and an education system that instills racism into their population makes everyone else looks like saints in comparison.

All countries are pretty racist, but Daein's easily the most racist.

Absolutely correct. However the point I was making is the fact that the game does not hide the other countries' racism and makes it very obvious. I have a hard time believing that a significant amount of the fandom forgets this. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/16/2017 at 6:22 PM, BrandedCharmer93 said:

Absolutely correct. However the point I was making is the fact that the game does not hide the other countries' racism and makes it very obvious. I have a hard time believing that a significant amount of the fandom forgets this. 

The main point I was trying to make is that the fandom seems to cry out that Daein is the evil one and is the pure evil one that deserves nothing good cause it's racist.....

When that same principle can be applied to every Beorc nation and many Laguz nations too.

Used to not use him, but once I did I was glad I did. He is a very good unit and he is probably my favorite mage in the game. I feel like he is one of the best units to give the Master Crown to if you're not all about using Bonus Exp. points, which I didn't use until the end of the game on my last playthrough. What I mainly wish for is that there were better wind tomes earlier in the game when you get him. I don't think you can get Arc Wind on Ike's route in Part III, so that's a bit of a pain. By the time you can there's no need since I usually have Soren at SS Wind. Probably one of my favorite units in Radiant Dawn and probably my favorite male mage in Fire Emblem. Aside from that his personality is interesting, what I really like about him is his lineage. It seems crazy obvious that he's the son of Ashnard, but I didn't figure it out until that one cutscene. Him being the son of Ashnard just makes me want more from the Tellius series.

Edited by SSbardock84

9 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Here is an interesting thread on Reddit where someone discusses Soren's character in a more negative light. 

As much as I love him, yeah he is like that annoying friend we all have that complains about things they aren't willing to fix (in this situation, having no friends despite being having opportunities to make plenty of friends). I always took this as Soren having the same stubbornness as his grandfather, however I will admit that it is simply an excuse.

Being aware of his lack of friends, and not making an effort to find more, could have another explanation: He doesn't want any other friends besides Ike.

I certainly haven't seen anything to suggest that he does.

Edited by Paper Jam

On 11/4/2017 at 4:41 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

His Janaff support suggests he has room to change though. Read it if you haven't, I felt it was well done. 

As well done as it was it's unfortunately non existent to his character development as we still still see him as scornful towards the laguz with not an ounce of respect in Radiant Dawn. Like it's just baffling in how Shinon seems to be genuinely curious and having some growing respect for Janaff now knowing how old he is and what he has seen through his long life only for in Radiant Dawn to still be the same as ever. I just really dislike it when a character seems to getting some apparent growth/development only for it to not go anywhere. 

Rolf strikes me as a much better developed character as a result in fact he's the most well developed child soldier character in the series in having to deal with the reality of kill or be killed or standby and let your friends/family be killed and his character arc unlike Shinon followed on through in Radiant Dawn given the situation with his mother about child abandonment something special that Rolf himself has in actually confronting the issue especially with said parent wanting their child back now.

It's another criticism as to what I give to Mia because I really enjoyed her Rhys support but her goal in life falls on deaf ears because she never ends up meeting her destined archrival something that is constantly brought up in her supports who is suppose to be someone in white robes and she's apparently blind enough to not notice Lucia meeting that description.

It's not that I hate Shinon or Mia, but it's that they don't feel like completed arc characters like Ike, Rolf and Jill and it's just very disappointing, but at least they have some character going on which I can't say the same for someone like Volke who feels like he would fit right in with the  majority of the Shadow Dragon cast seeing as we hardly learn anything about him and he remains just a cliche mystery assassin which is a shame because he has a cool design.

1 hour ago, Paper Jam said:

Being aware of his lack of friends, and not making an effort to find more, could have another explanation: He doesn't want any other friends besides Ike.

I certainly haven't seen anything to suggest that he does.

I agree that he doesn't WANT any other friends than Ike, however he still brings it up in a negative light.  In the context of his 3rd support with Ike, Soren is acknowledging that if Ike rejected him that he would have no one else to turn to and that he didn't think he could survive it. This makes it very clear that he is well aware that having no one else to turn to is detrimental to his life and that other people could have been beneficial to him. But he flat out is not interested in other people, therefore he is acknowledging a weak point that he is unwilling to fix. I apologize for my lack of clarity.

I don't like Soren at all. The only thing he has going for him is a well written backstory imo. I think he takes his hatred of certain people too far and his obsession with Ike is kind of over the line too. It's understandable why, but it still rubs me the wrong way a lot. I also don't care for his design since I'm not into girly-looking males.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I don't like Soren at all. The only thing he has going for him is a well written backstory imo. I think he takes his hatred of certain people too far and his obsession with Ike is kind of over the line too. It's understandable why, but it still rubs me the wrong way a lot. I also don't care for his design since I'm not into girly-looking males.

I don't think he takes it too far, since one side ostracizes him to the point of beating him, and the other side acts like he doesn't exist. Both sides hurts a lot, but the latter all the more. Soren being an uncaring asshole is rather justified as its him channeling his own anger. Of course, the timing of when he channels that anger is terrible, if how he acted with the laguz the first time in PoR is any evidence. 

However, his obsession with Ike is no doubt an issue and the fact that Ike is the only guy he ever opens up to, makes it rather stupid in my opinion. Had he lightened up over the years or actually learned to chat more with others in a better manner, he'd be better liked.

I like Soren partly because I relate to him.

He's a nerdy introvert who has a terrible secret and is afraid of losing his friends should anyone ever uncover his secret.

Soren does grow as a character from PoR to RD.  He doesn't pull a 180, but that's realistic.  He's still basically a kid.

Just now, Rezzy said:

I like Soren partly because I relate to him.

He's a nerdy introvert who has a terrible secret and is afraid of losing his friends should anyone ever uncover his secret.

Soren does grow as a character from PoR to RD.  He doesn't pull a 180, but that's realistic.  He's still basically a kid.

Same here

On 11/25/2017 at 6:39 PM, Icelerate said:

Here is an interesting thread on Reddit where someone discusses Soren's character in a more negative light. 

Wow, gotta love TheBlackTempesterHaar guy. He makes really valid points, and hardly anyone can make a decent counterargument against him. People try to defend Soren too much, and it gets worse when you consider that its because they want to ship Ike and Soren together. 

Ike and Soren feel to me like Chrom and Cordelia: Self-Destructive. 

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

People try to defend Soren too much, and it gets worse when you consider that its because they want to ship Ike and Soren together. 

Ike and Soren feel to me like Chrom and Cordelia: Self-Destructive. 

Wrong! Not everyone wants to ship Soren and Ike! Seriously. Soren is a character I'd never ship. I'll joke with shipping others, but Soren is one I wouldn't. I respect him too much for that.

I wouldn't call Ike and Soren absolutely equally as bad as Chrom and Cordelia or Alm and Faye. Since in the latter two cases, they end up weighing down their families with their unhealthy obsessions. Soren at least dies celibate, affecting no one but himself. Well it might hurt Almedha, but that'd be the whole scope of things. Struck out on consideration of Faye and Cordelia not affecting that many more than Soren.

Him not being willing to fix his issue is a problem, though at the same time I find it relatable. Since being an introvert myself, I know it isn't exactly good to be friendless, but nonetheless, I continue onwards never making an effort at friendship. I have none and continue to be this way, happy in my daily existence, only in a bout of melancholic thoughts does the absence of friends become painful and do I seek a solution. Once it passes, it is back to blissful ignorance.

I'll agree tweaking Soren's unpaired ending would be for the better- but there is only so much you can do with so few words. I don't feel leaving Ike out of it would be for the best, since Soren is devoted to Ike. But saying "He offered his tactical genius to paying employers. Only to Ike did he ever grant them freely", would suggest a little more normalized lifestyle.

And a paired ending with Stefan would do him well. But alas RD has issues with characterizing the cast due to the Part system and the serious issues it inflicted on traditional Supports. I'd like a Skrimir support, and a Stefan support, or at least some nice Base Conversations, but RD had only so much writing resources and its internal characterizing difficulties. Stefan to be fair to Soren isn't exactly the most friendly in their PoR support. Soren isn't either and he might not really care about a friendly approach is the counterpoint to this, but really, the support is wishing for another conversation, something where Stefan might show actual warmth.

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

As well done as it was it's unfortunately non existent to his character development as we still still see him as scornful towards the laguz with not an ounce of respect in Radiant Dawn. Like it's just baffling in how Shinon seems to be genuinely curious and having some growing respect for Janaff now knowing how old he is and what he has seen through his long life only for in Radiant Dawn to still be the same as ever. I just really dislike it when a character seems to getting some apparent growth/development only for it to not go anywhere. 

Rolf strikes me as a much better developed character as a result in fact he's the most well developed child soldier character in the series in having to deal with the reality of kill or be killed or standby and let your friends/family be killed and his character arc unlike Shinon followed on through in Radiant Dawn given the situation with his mother about child abandonment something special that Rolf himself has in actually confronting the issue especially with said parent wanting their child back now.

It's another criticism as to what I give to Mia because I really enjoyed her Rhys support but her goal in life falls on deaf ears because she never ends up meeting her destined archrival something that is constantly brought up in her supports who is suppose to be someone in white robes and she's apparently blind enough to not notice Lucia meeting that description.

It's not that I hate Shinon or Mia, but it's that they don't feel like completed arc characters like Ike, Rolf and Jill and it's just very disappointing, but at least they have some character going on which I can't say the same for someone like Volke who feels like he would fit right in with the  majority of the Shadow Dragon cast seeing as we hardly learn anything about him and he remains just a cliche mystery assassin which is a shame because he has a cool design.

One, I never realized Lucia fits Mia's archrival description so well. A shame that she never meets her- Lucia being a good character could by association make Mia better.

Two, Shinon in RD acting really racist in that one scene, well I think RD was selective with what supports happened in PoR. I'd wish to say they all did, but Marcia clearly didn't get her A Tanith- which had it been followed, would have ended up keeping her in the Holy Guard. This excuse not working? Well the catgirls aren't Janaff is the next excuse. Since Janaff was able to command respect from Shinon, something Lyre couldn't do. His hatred of Kyza in the same Base Conversation is somewhat similar to his hatred of Soren- someone else who he thinks is too cocky for what he is. But admittedly this is a weak excuse since Kyza isn't acting arrogant at all and Shinon is racist. Really, RD just didn't have the resources to make all the character interactions it should have had to happen. I wish he had another chat with Janaff- but he gets nothing, less than Astrid gets with Sothe!

Three, Volke is better than the SD crew- that accusation going a bit too far. His backstory is a mystery beyond being extremely talented I must concede (but sometimes mysteries are fine). Yet he is also somewhat funny and "normal", behind his mask of deathly serious coldness. Two lines from his Bastian support:

Volke: You there, in the bushes. You have until the count of five to show yourself before I start throwing sharp objects. One…two…four…

Oh, I’ll take it. I never pass up a lucrative offer. Plus, I’ve come to think you’re not so bad, Bastian. You’ve always paid in full and on time. I like that in an employer.

The latter sounds fairly friendly to me. I'd then want to bring up his Base Conversation in RD, where he altruistically returns unused money to Ike, and then darts off because he doesn't want to be thanked by Ike due to feeling uncomfortable from it.

Volke having only one support in PoR is reflecting on PoR having an unwanted support shortage (many were cut from the final game). And also on the fact he is a stoic character, and stoics are naturally asocial and shouldn't be forced into supports- although breaking comfort zones is something that supports should sometimes do and they can in theory do it well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2017 at 1:38 PM, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Soren is the main reason Ike never looses and as soon as Soren enters the picture literally every other strategist is considered "bad" or they come up with some half explained reason as to why Soren is able to out plan these people. Also if he's actually the long lost son of Ashnard and Almedha then why exactly was he cast out by some random lady that was supposed to raise him? You'd think Ashnard would want to keep him close considering the lengths he went through to have a child with a dragon parent. It's one thing to be cold. It's entirely another to be a complete jerk and he's far from the only one to be treated that way. I get resentment... but he takes it way too far.

In chapter 3-12, Micaiah fools Ike with a decoy force led by general Maiel to separate the Laguz Alliance with the Apostle's Army. Considering that Soren is Ike's strategist, it means Soren got outwitted by Micaiah. So I'm not sure why people claim Soren is far superior to Micaiah in tactical ability when by feats both have outwitted each other a grand total of one time. 

Spoiler

Daein Soldier:
“General Maiel’s forces have encountered General Ike’s laguz forces. The battle has begun! The decoy operation succeeded. The apostle and her Holy Guards are heading this way.”

Micaiah:
“All forces, get in position! Our target is the apostle. We will attack her while General Ike is distracted. If we let her through, her army will cross into Begnion. That will surely anger the senate, and the senate will move to destroy Daein. We must fight with everything we have so that Daein may live on!”

On 11/5/2017 at 8:16 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Two other comments. As much as I like Soren, seeing him lose, it'd hurt, but I acknowledge it would be a good thing, since it'd be more realistic- no strategist has a perfect record. Why many FE main characters (Marth, Seliph, Sigurd, Roy, Ephraim, Ike, Corrin, Alm) are lambasted by people, including myself, as being too perfect, and hence unrealistic.

FE4 spoilers inbound

Spoiler

Sigurd is used as a pawn by Arvis and then gets killed by him. He's probably the biggest failure among the FE lords. He's far from perfect. 

You're forgetting Soren falling for Ena's trap in PoR and Micaiah's decoy operation in Radiant Dawn.

Edited by Icelerate

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 7:34 PM, Icelerate said:

FE4 spoilers inbound

Reveal hidden contents

Sigurd is used as a pawn by Arvis and then gets killed by him. He's probably the biggest failure among the FE lords. He's far from perfect. 

You're forgetting Soren falling for Ena's trap in PoR and Micaiah's decoy operation in Radiant Dawn.

On Sigurd, well he never loses a standard military encounter. He makes a big mistake at the end, but that is not so much on the battlefield as it is an underhanded backstab just on the cusp off of it. It's followed by a hot stone massage admittedly, but it's still not exactly Valter vs. Ephraim post-5x. Looking back at my old comment, I was referring strictly to perfection as military commanders. Sigurd is a master of war, his weakness, insofar as I someone who hasn't actually played FE4 can tell, is reckless passion for Deirdre and a lack of political awareness. His inability to see the strings in the shadows until it is too late dooms him. Though how would he realistically know Arvis was corrupted when he was busy fighting through the western half of Jugdral the entire 1st Gen and never saw Arvis again until the fatal encounter?

On Soren, well what choices did they have concerning Ena's little trap? They had to take Nevassa, it's the capital of Daein, the castle included. And Soren did advise caution going into it. If he said "lets just push ahead blindly!" or was less clearly prepared for the trap (which doesn't mean necessarily countering it in three seconds), then it'd be real big blunder.

As for Micaiah, Soren kinda messed up there, but at the same time there was only so much that could be done while passing through the margin of the territory of a self-declared enemy you're trying to not hurt because you don't want to fight it. If ordering "capture those cliffs" antagonized Daein, well there goes the plan of trying to peacefully persuade them to set aside their weapons. Really the idea of going to Begnion through Daein instead of the old route used at the start of P3 was a terrible idea, an excuse to get Ike and Micaiah locked in battle, the seal broken and judgement cast, and then immediately have Ike and Mic team up for P4.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

On Soren, well what choices did they have concerning Ena's little trap? They had to take Nevassa, it's the capital of Daein, the castle included. And Soren did advise caution going into it. If he said "lets just push ahead blindly!" or was less clearly prepared for the trap (which doesn't mean necessarily countering it in three seconds), then it'd be real big blunder.

As for Micaiah, Soren kinda messed up there, but at the same time there was only so much that could be done while passing through the margin of the territory of a self-declared enemy you're trying to not hurt because you don't want to fight it. If ordering "capture those cliffs" antagonized Daein, well there goes the plan of trying to peacefully persuade them to set aside their weapons. Really the idea of going to Begnion through Daein instead of the old route used at the start of P3 was a terrible idea, an excuse to get Ike and Micaiah locked in battle, the seal broken and judgement cast, and then immediately have Ike and Mic team up for P4.

It's not exactly about the choices but the way Soren didn't suspect an obvious trap with more certainty. Contrast this with Izuka and Tauroneo easily suspecting the swamp being a trap to lure the Daein liberation army in one place to kill them. 

Spoiler

Ike
Soren, is this the enemy trap?

Soren
...It could be...

Also, if you don't know much about the enemy or the trap, why would you send your most elite members? Surely they could get killed easily due to lacking intelligence on the enemy. 

Spoiler

Soren
No matter what, we must be cautious. We can spare no efforts to protect the princess. We should put together an elite team and head for the throne room. Choose the members of this team with care. Everything will rest on their shoulders.

Ike was very well determined to crush Daein before fighting the stronger Begnion army which makes logical sense because you want to get rid of your nearer and weaker opponents before taking on the more distant and stronger enemy. 

Spoiler

Crimea: Excuse me! I bring urgent news to Queen Elincia and General Ike of the
    apostle's army!

Elincia: What happened?!

Crimea: We've received a report that the Daein army has appeared near the
    border between Daein and Crimea! The Daein army demands custody of the
    apostle on behalf of Begnion! They will use force if necessary.

Ike: Daein wants to get in our hair again? Perfect.

[Ike, Elincia, and Sanaki turn to each other]

Sanaki: ...I am puzzled by this. Why does Daein support the senate? Well, I
    suppose it doesn't matter. Ike, we must change our target.

Ike: Agreed. We have to get Daein out of our way before we do anything else.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[an overhead view of the dreaded bridge chapter]

Sanaki: So, Daein still refuses to negotiate?

Sigrun: Either they believe the senate's lies, or...the senate is pulling some
    strings behind the scenes.

Ike: Well, whatever the reason, we can't attack Begnion without taking care of
    this first.

Though the point was that Ike's army ended up getting split up by Micaiah through diversionary tactics and that had nothing to do with them not wanting to fight Daein. Read my post to Silver-Haired Maiden to understand better what I'm trying to tell you.

23 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Ike was very well determined to crush Daein before fighting the stronger Begnion army which makes logical sense because you want to get rid of your nearer and weaker opponents before taking on the more distant and stronger enemy. 

That was 3-11, when Daein had taken the Oribes Bridge. Since that is the border of Daein and Crimea, that is understandable that Ike would crush them there. It is what Ike and co. decide after 3-11 which I am criticizing.

Note this line from Sothe in 3-12:

Spoiler

Sothe:
“It looks as if the apostle’s forces are using this road to avoid a head-on confrontation. I guess we were right in assuming that they don’t necessarily want to fight. Micaiah, are you still set on this?”

And since SF doesn't have the pre-battle narration to 3-12, I took a quick look at Deltre's LP the chapter since it's close at hand. Read what it says:

"However Apostle Sanaki elects not to pursue the retreating Daein forces."

"Instead, she petitions King Pelleas for permission to pass through Daein."

"After waiting for several days, she receives no replay, and Sanaki reluctantly orders a march."

"Avoiding the heart of Daein, the army skirts along the mountains and makes its way south."

This doesn't sound like Sanaki and Ike wanted to fight Daein at all. Not unthinkingly dashing into the heart of your foe is good as a military strategy, they don't appear to have ever been fighting Daein. They were just moving southeast towards the Begnion border. If they weren't fighting Daein at all, but intended to, this sounds like an awful strategy, since we're looking at very long supplies lines and if the Laguz Alliance made it to the Daein-Begnion border, they'd be at risk of being flanked by the Senate and Daein. 

What makes more sense is that Sanaki thought the best way to Begnion was passing through Daein, but didn't want to actually harm Daein.

Either way you spin it- a peaceful passing through or military campaign, the wisdom behind this movement is quite bizarre. Only when you know P4 is just around the corner does it make any sense. 

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That was 3-11, when Daein had taken the Oribes Bridge. Since that is the border of Daein and Crimea, that is understandable that Ike would crush them there. It is what Ike and co. decide after 3-11 which I am criticizing.

Note this line from Sothe in 3-12:

Reveal hidden contents

Sothe:
“It looks as if the apostle’s forces are using this road to avoid a head-on confrontation. I guess we were right in assuming that they don’t necessarily want to fight. Micaiah, are you still set on this?”

And since SF doesn't have the pre-battle narration to 3-12, I took a quick look at Deltre's LP the chapter since it's close at hand. Read what it says:

"However Apostle Sanaki elects not to pursue the retreating Daein forces."

"Instead, she petitions King Pelleas for permission to pass through Daein."

"After waiting for several days, she receives no replay, and Sanaki reluctantly orders a march."

"Avoiding the heart of Daein, the army skirts along the mountains and makes its way south."

This doesn't sound like Sanaki and Ike wanted to fight Daein at all. Not unthinkingly dashing into the heart of your foe is good as a military strategy, they don't appear to have ever been fighting Daein. They were just moving southeast towards the Begnion border. If they weren't fighting Daein at all, but intended to, this sounds like an awful strategy, since we're looking at very long supplies lines and if the Laguz Alliance made it to the Daein-Begnion border, they'd be at risk of being flanked by the Senate and Daein. 

What makes more sense is that Sanaki thought the best way to Begnion was passing through Daein, but didn't want to actually harm Daein.

Either way you spin it- a peaceful passing through or military campaign, the wisdom behind this movement is quite bizarre. Only when you know P4 is just around the corner does it make any sense. 

To me it sounds like Ike was willing to use force while Sanaki was more reluctant which is why he managed to quickly crush the decoy force and still arrive to help stop Micaiah. Then there is the fact that Sanaki was the one to tell Ike that she wants to withdraw whereas Ike was willing to kill every last Daein soldier. The narration you posted also says it was the Apostle, not Ike despite him being the leader of the army, that requested to pass peacefully.

Spoiler

Ike:
“Not a chance. I’m offering you a choice. Surrender now and go home to Daein, or fight us and die.”

Micaiah:
“We can’t. We won’t retreat or negotiate. Regardless of what you believe, the only choice we have is to fight.”

Ike:
“Micaiah, are you insane? Look around! Every single person in your army will die! Do you care that little about them?”

???:
“Enough! Everyone stand down!”

Ike:
“Apostle…”

Sanaki:
“I’ve seen enough bloodshed for one day! That’s enough! Please, no more…”

Though if what you say is true and that this is an awful strategy, the fact that Soren was okay with it implies he made a huge tactical blunder which proves my point that he's not a perfect strategist.

Then there is the fact that Soren's strategy in chapter 3-5 is to leave Skrimir to command the western front without the level headed Ranulf on his side to keep him from doing something stupid.  

The thing with the ambush on Sanaki isn't really Soren's failure. Ike is the general of the army and Soren is his tactician but Sanaki is more Sigrun and Tanith's responsibility than Soren or Ike's. They're her personal guard and they don't travel with the army. That failure would be on Sigrun and Tanith, not Soren.

4 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

The thing with the ambush on Sanaki isn't really Soren's failure. Ike is the general of the army and Soren is his tactician but Sanaki is more Sigrun and Tanith's responsibility than Soren or Ike's. They're her personal guard and they don't travel with the army. That failure would be on Sigrun and Tanith, not Soren.

Micaiah is the one who managed to split them up with a diversion.