Favorite and Despised characters in the Fire Emblem series.

On 11/1/2017 at 7:32 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Least favorite villains:  Michallis for being a scumbag with a happy ending he didn't deserve. 

I think Sephiran is even worse on a second playthrough. He gets to live for another 1200 years but he started two world wars in a bid to genocide the entire human race. Compare that to Hitler who started one world war and wanted to genocide a portion of the human race. 

5 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I think Sephiran is even worse on a second playthrough. He gets to live for another 1200 years but he started two world wars in a bid to genocide the entire human race. Compare that to Hitler who started one world war and wanted to genocide a portion of the human race. 

You could certainly argue that Sephiran is worse but I think there some things that make the situation a bit more favorable for Sephiran. Getting to live for thousands of more years isn't exactly a reward for someone who's depicted as self loathing and suicidal while Michalis becoming a king again is certainly a happy end for the guy.

Sephiran has also more humanizing and even benevolent moments. His strong bonds with Sanaki and (probably) Zelgius are genuine and while pulling the strings of everyone on Tellius he at least stopped to go help Sanaki adres the slave issue in Begnion. Him whiping Ike's memories of Greils rampage also seems to have come from kindness. 

Michalis is different. He treats his family like dirt and is lucky Maria is good enough to take him back. There's very little good to be found in his action. In Shadow dragon he's just a tyrant who somehow got the absurd idea he can overthrow Medeus after he's done beating all of Medeus allies for him. Sephiran may be mad but at least he believes what he does is for the best while Michalis is a Macedon supremacist at best and a selfish scumbag at worst.

Favourite Hero: Takumi (Fates), Sakura (Fates), Lissa (Awakening), Maribelle (Awakening), Reyson (Tellius), Sanaki (Tellius), Tana (Sacred Stones).

Favourite Villain: Lyon... that's about it.

Despised Hero: Corrin (Fates), Soleil (Fates), Makalov (Tellius).

Despised Villains: All of Fates villains. 

Favorite Hero: Robin. I dunno. I just always liked Robin's character and personality, whether or not he's the avatar.

Favorite Villain: Berkut and/or Camus. While Berkut's purpose in the story is largely neglectable, his character arc was epic as it is not often one sees well-done negative character development. Camus is here because I always liked the idea of people struggling between two just possibilities; in his case honor vs. righteousness.

Despised Hero: Corrin, though frankly it is less Corrin themselves and more how everyone acts toward them, thinking they're perfect and whatnot.

Despised Villain: Anankos. Sure the fight was fun, but why was he here to begin with?

Favorite Heroes: Ike, Frederick, Elincia, Kieran, Ryoma
Favorite Villains: Black Knight, Bryce, Levail, Camus

Hated Heroes: Lucina, Chrom, Camilla, Tharja, Micaiah, Mia
Hated Villains: Validar, Grima, Garon

Edited by Anacybele

Favorite Heroes:

• Robin

Always been a fan of Robin since I first saw him. He's a tactician that is rather humble. He tries to plan strategies that helps make the best outcome and is always putting others ahead of himself. I have many ideas and theories about how Robin was like in his past and how he might have been in the original timeline. There's also the case of how he is the ultimate villain that destroyed the world in the future, and he has to confront that being and say that he isn't them, and make the decision to either have Grima sealed or choose to instead sacrifice himself to end Grima for good. His bonds that he cherished that helped him overcome Grima's control is something that also allowed him to return to his friends in the end.

• Lucina

A girl that grew up in world that literally went to hell, had to shoulder such a large burden of being of the Exalted bloodline and how it made her wield Falchion, it's tough. But she did it anyways. Ship her with Robin cause for me, it's the ultimate irony. She goes back in time to stop the one that murdered her father and Grima, only to end up falling in love with both of them. And the pain that she must have endured when she had to try and kill Robin was horrible. There's also the fact that in the end of her own timeline, her efforts were ultimately fruitless as one of the gemstones was lost forever and thus the Awakening could never be performed. She cannot defeat Grima, only hurt him. But the silver lining is that her going back in time actually goaded Grima to follow, which actually DID help save the future. 

• Owain/Inigo

HIs manner of speech is hilarious and I always try to imitate it. My friend even asks me for help with his fanfics when it comes to writing some of Owain's dialogue. I love how he always tries to keep a happy theatrical attitude, but whenever he gets serious, it's almost chilling for me. Inigo is also the same way in how he always flirts with girls, but gets awfully shy at times. Like, you can tell that their playful attitude is just a coping mechanism to help inspire others to not give up on hope. Lucina had an attitude that gets more and more burdened by her responsibility, and both of them are able to help her through it, alongside the others. I ship Owain with Elise cause Elise is the only one that ever encourages his speech, and Inigo with Azura, because Azura is the only one that makes him continue his true passion that is dancing.

• Marth

A guy that lost his home, his father, and his mother and sister were taken, and he had to run away. Despite that, he overcome the hardships, gathered an army, and fought to liberate his home, but even then he was plagued by hardship, as his mother was killed. But he doesn't give into his pain or even wanting time to mourn, and inspires his people that he is back so they are assured, and ultimately, he defeats Medeus. And then several years later, his own comrade and one that he considered a true friend Hardin ended up growing mad with power and betrayed him. His development could have continue here, but Kris sadly hurt that.

• Tiki

There is something really saddening about her, with how she is essentially immortal because she is a powerful Divine Dragon, and arguably the strongest living one now, since her powers are theorized to be equal if not surpassing of Naga's. But the sad part is how because she's immortal, all the people that she loves ultimately dies. And that isn't even the worst of it. Tiki was nearly killed by Naga out of fear for Tiki's power, then put to sleep for so many years. It's only out of pity from Bantu that she was finally able to have time to wake up and see the world with her own eyes. And then her meeting with Marth when he saved her was so nice. She was like a little sister to him, even though it's hinted that she feels far more affection for him than that. But ultimately, she has to endure the pain that he dies too. She's my second favorite ship with Robin, because he becomes someone that she can love and move on with, and even has a daughter with him, which is so very sweet.

• Lyn

Lyn actually grew on me when I started playing Blazing Sword. Here comes a simple girl that only thought herself as a simple girl from a tribe to learn that she is royalty, but she still cares not for her. She only went to her other home only because she had her grandfather there and until now, she thought that all her family had perished. She pushed through and ultimately found her grandfather and helped him find the will to live on. I get that some people criticize her story as tutorial filler, but I still enjoy it nonetheless. And I especially love her pride over her Sacaen blood, not willing to allow anyone to mock her lineage. 

• Katarina

Like wow, this girl has gone through so much. In her childhood, she was abused so badly as an orphan, treated as an animal. And just when someone seemed to save her by taking her under their win, it ends up being a woman that was brainwashed into being a cruel woman that raises children to become assassins, using them as tools until they break. She never adopts the cruel persona as others, instead using her bond with Clarisse to keep her sanity intact. Then she goes to infiltrate Altea to assassinate Marth, and runs into Kris. I might not like Kris because of how he damages other characters, but for Katarina, he truly helps her develop, as he's the first one that helped her find joy in life, and even after she betrayed him, Marth, and the rest of her squad, she still cherished her time with them. Her utter heartbreak over how Legion had to be disposed of or how she was unable to save Clarisse was especially hard. And then she just sought to die herself, but Kris and Marth ultimately helped her find the will to continue living. 

• Takumi/Leo

Takumi really gets a lot of shit. The entire "Blame Takumi" fiasco really annoys me, and even more when Ghast Station makes fun of him using a raspy voice in a mocking manner. Guy went through a lot. I can understand some of the stuff he goes through. I put him there with Leo cause they are very alike. Both love their siblings, but constantly feels overshadowed by them, especially Corrin, but doesn't change that they still do have some love for Corrin. Takumi though has to go through the case of his own hatred when Corrin joins Nohr, and that's right after how a seemingly "Nohrian" attack killed their mother, and he couldn't forgive Corrin for that. The despair that Anankos preyed on was saddening really. It's also sad how despite how similar Takumi and Leo are, their two paths went in opposite ways, and it's easy to understand why. Leo had time to spend with Corrin, whereas Takumi didn't, and this heavily affected their judgment on Corrin's actions. 

Favorite Villains:

• Grima

Most people dislike him, but you know what? I like him. Why? Cause this is the first and only villain that ever FULLY wins. In both original timeline and Future Past timeline, Grima won. Without the time travel or summoning warriors from other worlds by Naga, Grima won without any interference. And Echoes really makes him out to be far more terrifying than one can imagine.

Spoiler

Created as an abomination from divine dragon blood and whatever other experiments, Grima is an absolute abomination, and likely also was subjected to other experiments after creation. It was only on day 80 when it got Forneus' blood that Grima grew and began to connect with Forneus. Grima likely grew to hate all life and such because of his creation and how Forneus might have experimented on him. And this guy waited a thousand years before he attacks, and came back after another thousand years to win. His only flaw was his hubris never realizing that Robin would overcome and reject him so much.

• Medeus

He's really got to be pitied somewhat. Unlike others, he's lived for a long time, and all he's seen is the ugliness of humanity. Because he was always confined to a single location to guard the seal, he only could bear witness to his Manakete brethren being persecuted by humans. For how long? Over a millennium. That's how long. How much hardship did this guy endure? He lost his entire race of Earth Dragons that went into slumber, and then watched the rest of the dragonkin end up having to be picked on by humans? Sadly, this truly warped Medeus to be a dragon that held no love any longer, only hatred. So we never could see the better parts of him either, which is sad. And he never got to see the better parts of humanity. Naga sort of screwed up here, really.

• Camus

He doesn't strike me up as a villain per se. He's just loyal to his nation. And that's it. Even though he fell in love with Nyna, he couldn't just betray his nation. Even if he knew that betraying the nation and helping Marth was the right thing to do, betrayal is the most dishonorable thing to do. He can never go against his own nation. A knight is honor-bound to protect their kingdom, no matter what, and they must always be loyal to said kingdom. Camus was never evil. His loyalty just worked against him sadly. And his tragic love with Nyna also hurts, since they never can end up together, as even after these events, he ends up running the identity of Zeke and fell for Tatiana. Really sad.

• Lyon

I don't think anyone to criticize the guy that much. He was a guy that truly had the best interests in mind, and always wanted to help. But sadly, for all the good he wanted, he ended up getting the worst of it. He twisted his nation into a warmonger empire, made his father into a puppet, had the loyal soldiers fight a war that had no honor, and betray his two closest friends, Eirika and Ephraim. And the worst part is that he could never be saved. He either dies or ends up being just an empty shell. Had he gotten a chance to live, I'd have shipped him with Eiriki.

• Manfroy

Like wow, this guy is something else. What's motivated him all this time? Revenge. Why? Because the people that persecuted the Lopto Sect members actually went into witch hunts and burned them at the stake. He actually was a young boy when he was burned, but he survived. And these kind of events, he no doubt had a vast amount of hatred. He doesn't care if his revenge doesn't accomplish anything really. He wants them to suffer. He wants all the people to suffer like they made him and his clan suffer. He manipulates so many things, including Deirdre and Arvis, all making them ultimately have children that resulted in Julius being the Loptyr vessel. Manfroy only fucked up when he insisted that Julia be kept alive, despite how Julia is literally the ONLY one that can defeat Julius. 

Hated Heroes:

• Ephraim

I'm one of the few that cannot stand him. Everything about him just irks me to no end. He's this perfect fighter, perfect tactician, and absolutely anything he does, he just cannot be stopped, except that one time where it was just plot related. Even when he's caught in the perfect ambush, he still succeeds in getting away with all his men except the one that betrayed him. And when Eirika went to save him, he saved her instead. My hate for him goes more for him than Corrin, because Corrin gets criticized by everyone, and Ephraim only gets praise because he is just perfect. 

"I don't pick fights I can't win." 

Translation: "Bitch, I'll win cause I'm Ephraim."

• Corrin

Wasted potential. His entire premise was very promising. I actually felt that he would have been amazing. Sadly, nope. He's just terribly written. I don't hate him that much because Corrin is just one part of a whole that is Fates, which was a problem in itself. It really could not get the story done right. They focused so heavily on fanservice and riding on Awakening's popularity. It tried so many things that Awakening did, from support system to marriage to the forceful 2nd Gen. Corrin could had done better, and everyone should know that. It's just a shame that the story went as badly as it did.

• Kris

At first, Kris didn't strike me as much of an issue. But then I began to slowly realize how central he was to every character. He supports with everyone and helps everyone out a lot, and Marth praises him way too heavily. Kris is an okay guy, but come on, he shouldn't be that much central to things. He ended up really hurting other characters. I think the only one he didn't hurt were his squad members in the prologue and Katarina, the latter most.

• Faye

Ugh, my god. I though Tharja and Camilla were bad enough as stalkers, but Faye just takes the cake. There is absolutely nothing redeeming about her. She obsesses over Alm from the very beginning, to the point that Faye's entire world revolves around Alm, that she even happily says that she'll kill people for Alm. And then the only other support she has is with Silque, and what does she do? She is completely rude to the girl. Like WTF?! And the worst part:

Spoiler

She is rejected by Alm in their A Support and she pleads that she at least keeps these feelings for him until the end of the war. War ends, Alm and Celica marry, and... she doesn't let go. She still yearns for Alm, and even though she marries another guy, she STILL goes out to stalk Alm, even though she has a family of her own now. Faye sucks to the bitter end, and Tharja and Camilla are way better, because even beyond their obsession with someone, they still managed to live their own lives. Faye didn't. 

• Kjelle

SHUT. THE FUCK. UP. 

I'm okay with Sully's attitude and not wanting to be treated like a damsel in distress. Kjelle takes this up WAY TOO MUCH. The girl is absolutely rude and arrogant as fuck. She even insults others because she claims to be better than them. And the worst part is, the characters tend to support that, when no, they shouldn't. By all means, Owain and Inigo should be better fighters than her. I am glad that Robin shows her up in their supports, save for their S support, which never happens. 

I'd have been okay with Kjelle had she been just wanting to be equal to a man. That's how feminism works. But nope, she went beyond that. She's more of a femi-Nazi.

• Gerome

Stop trying to be Batman, Gerome. 

Apart from that, what really makes me dislike the guy is how his support with his father works. In every other support, there's always a loving relationship with the parent and child, or at the very least there is at the end. But Gerome's? Nope. He rejects his father all the way, and at their A support, orders Minerva to attack them. WTF?! Who does that?! And if that wasn't bad enough, Gerome only says he accepts his father only because Minerva does. No emotional talks, no hugs, no tears, just, "Eh, if my wyvern says so." 

But I don't hate him. Just dislike him. He has other supports that are rather nice, like the one with Morgan. 

Hated Villains:

• Validar

I'd have liked him better... had he actually explained a bit more about himself and why he hates the world. Why does he want to revive Grima? Just cause he's got Grima's blood? Cause he's the head of the Grimleal? Give some better examples. He was way too much into the belief that fate is as written, or such. He has too little ambition, and that makes him weaker as a villain.

• Loptyr

Despite how much Genealogy gets, Loptyr was a terrible villain. Manfroy was the only real villain, and Lpotyr was just the dragon boss. Why? What exactly did we learn about Loptyr in the game? He's an Earth Dragon and he hates humans. That's it. Like seriously. Loptyr never even gives that much background on himself, and is just influencing Julius to be a scumbag and torment humans. Even the interview didn't give enough background. So yeah, I have little understanding of Loptyr, only that he is some envious Earth Dragon that hates that he isn't ruling over them, so he will torment them. That makes him a terrible villain in my eyes. 

• Garon

Would have been a great villain, but like the rest of Fates' writing, he lost so much potential. Now he is evil for the lulz, wants to murder Corrin, shun his children, and just be a douchebag that always responds to things with "KILL THEM ALL!"

• Anankos

We got his background, and it is sad. However, that was from DLC. Never once did they actually have Anankos' story really get displayed in the actual story. Or even a chance to sympathize with him. How can we sympathize with a villain or like them even, if all they go with is that they are a god that was betrayed, but never go in depth? Or how despite how he has grown mad, we never get the chance to see his better side of him or his past in the actual story. The DLC still doesn't help that much. 

Edited by omegaxis1

• 2 weeks later...

Favourite Unit: Julia, Ayra, Ike, Sanaki, Tiny, Finn, Sigurd, Saber

Favourite Villain: Arvis, Manfroy, Sephiran, Black Knight, Trabant

Despised Units: Corrin, Kris, story Xander

Despised Villain:  Every villain in FE13/14. Gharnef (Shadow Dragon) and Izuka (RD).

Despised hero
Peri: Mostly because she has no place being in an army of good people. Her backstory explains why she behaves why she does, but NOT why she is allowed into an army where she has plenty of chance to murder innocent people. Very few people also seem interesting in stopping her and she needs stopping since she doesn't only threaten, but actually tries to murder people..

Despised villains.
Echoes Rudolf: I won't hold Rudolfs not so good plan against him. Its based on a nes game so i'm willing to let some things slide. However the remake included Rudolfs relationship with Berkut and thats where he becomes scummy . Rudolf basically enabled Berkut's jerkass behaviour, lied to him his entire life and was just dangled something infront of, only to yank it away at the last second. Rudolf telling everyone, but Berkut the truth in his last moments also shows he either did't care or was just too much of a coward to own up to his lies. I mean sure Berkut was a jerk, but perhaps he would't have turned totally insane if his dad figure at least tried to explain things before he died.

Black Knight: I see little honour in killing a man and orphaning his kids just to prove you are stronger yet the game showers praise on him as 'the last true knight' and 'Ike's final teacher'. I just saw a common killer getting of very lightly for his crimes. Even making the fight fair did't change the fact he murdered something just to satisfy his ego.

Picking some of my least favourite heroes and villains is easy, but its a bit harder to pick some of my favourites since there are far more character I like. Still I think i'd narrow it down to.

Favourite heroes
Roy: I like him for being the lord with the intelectual edge and I hope a remake will make him shine just a bit more then he did in his original game.

Alm: Yes the game loves him a bit too much, but aside from that he was a very funny, likeable guy with a great voice and some good moments.

Elincia: I like just how much she grows in her two games with her role in radiant dawn part 2 being one of the best parts of the series storywise.