Should the magic triangle return?

Should the magic triangle return?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should the magic triangle return?

• Yes
    • No

Some sort of division in the Magic system should be reintroduced. Cramming them all together made Magic feel incredibly generic and made Mages feel less unique. A triangle system would likely go along with this.

I find the magic triangle to generally be pointless because of how similar all the magic-using classes are, I don't particularly miss it because things honestly don't feel different without it. That said I am in favor of incorporating magic into the standard triangle like in Fates and Heroes.

While I like the weapon rank system we currently have (not a fan of the rank clutter in Tellius) I wouldn't mind seeing the magic triangle return, alongside better differences between magic types (especially anima types) it could be a good incentive to switch magics from time to time.

I think so, but with a rework, even if it's just making the consequences (both good and bad) more dramatic. Or maybe even a mechanical change similar to how wind is effective vs flying units, give fire and thunder something too. That has nothing to do with the triangle though lol.

6 minutes ago, TreblePoe said:

I think so, but with a rework, even if it's just making the consequences (both good and bad) more dramatic. Or maybe even a mechanical change similar to how wind is effective vs flying units, give fire and thunder something too. That has nothing to do with the triangle though lol.

Thunder was effective against Dragons and Wyvern riders in PoR/RD, IIRC.

The fire parallel would have been to be make fire effective against horsies, but that might have made fire magic OP, since those are way more prevalent than Wyverns and Peggies. It was effective against beast Laguz, though.

Edited by Slumber

I've played all the way through FE 7 & 8; I do not get the hype for the magic triangle. It doesn't help that Light magic is awful without slayer and nothing but enemy monsters. You don't get many dark mages (only 1 in Fe7); and Anima mages like Pent were so good... fuck a triangle. Maybe it's because I'm use to games without it, but my play-style didn't change in regard to using magic in games with it.

Yes and no.

On one hand, magic really needs to be diversified to help mage units be diverse. I mean why use Miriel, Ricken or Laurent when you can use Tharja or Henry who have both access to anima and dark magic in FEA. So for that, I think the MT would help.

However, on another hand, the MT doesn't affect much and for the most part, I tend to actually forget it exists sometimes.

Personally, I would really like Heroes' WT where swords/lances/axes and magic are all in the same triangle. IMO, it works really well, they would just need to lessen the WTB and WTD to balance it for a main series game.

Haha, no way. It didn't do jack nor shit.

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

Thunder was effective against Dragons and Wyvern riders in PoR/RD, IIRC.

It was effective against dragons in both PoR and RD, but wyverns in PoR were not hit for effective damage by thunder magic, but rather by wind magic.

3 hours ago, Hopeofdespair said:

IMO, it gave the other games more challenge and made you think a bit more about using magic.

To be blunt, I find it very hard to agree with this when I could easily get away with disadvantageous matchups between mages. It doesn't help that mages tend to be uncommon enough in the first place...

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I'd like a fusion of the Heroes Triangle with the GBA triangle.  Basically, do what Heroes does and lay the mage triangle atop the physical one, but replace fire/wind/thunder with light/dark/anima for personal preference reasons.  

Yes, as right now, magic is dumbed down and simplified too much. A magic triangle adds more to the strategy too. Bring back both triangles for maximum strategy options. I liked that a lot about RD.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yes, as right now, magic is dumbed down and simplified too much. A magic triangle adds more to the strategy too. Bring back both triangles for maximum strategy options. I liked that a lot about RD.

Sorry, but I can't agree with this - the magic triangle was already clumsily done even before RD, but RD was where IS dropped the ball even harder with it than the others - what's the point when you literally see next to no dark mages, and the only ones you get (1) require a replay, and (2) come really late???

Just now, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Sorry, but I can't agree with this - the magic triangle was already clumsily done even before RD, but RD was where IS dropped the ball even harder with it than the others - what's the point when you literally see next to no dark mages, and the only ones you get (1) require a replay, and (2) come really late???

I admit, that was an issue, but it can be solved by adding more of those.

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I admit, that was an issue, but it can be solved by adding more of those.

But then you have the general issue of mages not caring about being WTD'd - am I really gonna care if Rhys gets doubled by an enemy mage that does next to nothing to him, but said mage loses about 1/3 his health in the exchange???

8 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

But then you have the general issue of mages not caring about being WTD'd - am I really gonna care if Rhys gets doubled by an enemy mage that does next to nothing to him, but said mage loses about 1/3 his health in the exchange???

Uh...what? Sorry, but I'm confused here.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Uh...what? Sorry, but I'm confused here.

Simply put, it's why I deem the magic triangle to be an absolute joke. And that same song echoes on in pretty much every game with it. . .

We need more diversity in tomes. We need -Slayer tomes, Killer tomes, Brave tomes, -Reaver tomes, etc.

If we get that, then we can make the magic triangle matter more.

2 hours ago, Corrobin said:

We need more diversity in tomes. We need -Slayer tomes, Killer tomes, Brave tomes, -Reaver tomes, etc.

If we get that, then we can make the magic triangle matter more.

Wishful thinking, I must say. I doubt it'd make much difference...