I finally beat FE 12! SPOILERS

I had started Fire Emblem 12 a long time ago and played it on and off until chapter 5. This past Sunday I finally went back and continued playing it, getting all the way through it and getting the true ending. So yeah, I'll be listing the units I primarily used in order of class. (units in bold were ones used on the endgame map)

Marth (Lord), Chris (Paladin), Luke (Paladin), Roderick (paladin), Cecille (Paladin), Midia (paladin), Sirius (Paladin, used only to recruit Nyna), Navarre (swordmaster), Malice (swordmaster), Samto (swordmaster), Ogma(hero), Astram (hero), Caeda (falcon knight), Palla (falcon knight), Catria (falcon knight), Merric (sage), Linde (sage), Katarina (sage), Malicia (bishop), Norne(sniper), Minerva(dracoknight), Barst(berserker), Tiki (manakete), and I did use Julian (thief) a lot due to chest looting. Also shout outs to Ryan, Gordin, and Draug, who were used for a little while before getting benched.

So overall I really enjoyed this game. The music was very good (despite my emulator being crappy with music) and Endless Battle and Tearing Shadows are now near permanently placed at the top of my Fire Emblem music preferences (quite an achievement given ID Hope and much of Echoes and Sacred Stones held that). The story was really good and engaging to me once I got into it. I also liked how there was always different outcomes based on your actions despite map objectives never changing really. The assassins I really liked and felt sorry for. Overall, I'd say this game is my second favorite Fire Emblem game, right behind my personal preference of Awakening and barely ahead of Echoes and Sacred Stones.

Hey, glad you enjoyed it.  It was the second FE game I had beaten, and for all the criticisms I might give it, I did enjoy it and think there were a lot of things it did right.

I have a question for you.

Spoiler

Were you able to spare Katarina?

31 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Hey, glad you enjoyed it.  It was the second FE game I had beaten, and for all the criticisms I might give it, I did enjoy it and think there were a lot of things it did right.

I have a question for you.

Hide contents

Were you able to spare Katarina?

(units in bold were ones used on the endgame map)

Katarina (sage)

In short yes, I even had a fun savestate set aside where she and Chris soloed the final boss, heck Katarina did enough damage to oneshot it all by herself, but of course I ended it with Marth getting the crit

Just now, LucarioGamer812 said:

(units in bold were ones used on the endgame map)

Katarina (sage)

In short yes, I even had a fun savestate set aside where she and Chris soloed the final boss, heck Katarina did enough damage to oneshot it all by herself, but of course I ended it with Marth getting the crit

I didn't notice since it was all the way at the edge.  Or maybe I read it as "Katrina" instead?

Regardless, I liked the story of the assassins, and I'm glad I was able to spare at least one of them.

It was funny taking on Medeus, 'cuz I actually ORKO'd him with Marth landing a crit.

3 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I didn't notice since it was all the way at the edge.  Or maybe I read it as "Katrina" instead?

Regardless, I liked the story of the assassins, and I'm glad I was able to spare at least one of them.

It was funny taking on Medeus, 'cuz I actually ORKO'd him with Marth landing a crit.

I think it's scripted Marth gets the crit, or any unit tbh, as on that alt file both Chris and Katarina got crits with less then 30% chances (with Gradivus and Aura respectfully)

13 minutes ago, Gruntagen said:

Have you considered playing the objectively superior FE3?

I'll be honest, playing FE1,2, and 3 is not on my to play list. I prefer the remakes. I may go back and play genealogy and thracia if they never get remade. But those games aren't specifically on my list as I just find older games too slow for me. I'm not hating on them, but I just find them so slow. An example being pokemon yellow, a game I wanted for years but whenever I got it I didn't play that much due to it being so slow. Another example is my first game, Pokemon FireRed, that game is still so slow. I know it's all hardware limitations and all, but games being so slow just makes me mentally barf. I know FE3 and the others have their fans, just this is my personal preference. So yeah, in short no plans on playing it. Besides, even though I have no plans of playing it, I still consider it  as its own thing in the franchise just like fe1+2. Heck my timeline theory has these 3 games as how history recorded them happening but the remakes are what actually happened (moreso increased by Chris's role as the Hero of Shadow, but it would also make sense that Marth wouldn't want people knowing that assassins tried to kill him given it's personal politics, another example being Conrad in echoes, his role would naturally be a secret to the general public, and for FE1/11, makes sense that Frey is the sacrifice due to the prologue)

Oh, now we're getting some spicy opinions here?  Well then...

I at least like the facelift our dear friend Abel received in each subsequent remake.

I mean, you go from

Abel.png

really derpy to

abel.gif

pretty bad ass to

Abel

I mean hot damn, look at this guy.

No wonder Est and Palla have the hots for him.

He went from goofy lime green knight to the most handsome paladin this side of Archanea.

Cain

Cain looks cooler, too.

Gordin

And Gordon looks a little less like a shota.

Spoiler

I mean compared to this

gordon.gif

and this

Gordin

It's at least a minor improvement.

That being said, there's one thing that'll always be better in the original games, and that's the oh-so-beautiful names and Marth's artwork.

I mean... have you ever heard of...

Spoiler

fe5-046.jpg

ROJAR

or...

fe5-007.jpg

JORJUE?

or have you seen the oh-so-glorious...

Spoiler

H3uMhRU.png

PANTSLESS MARTH???

Which was so good, they just had to recreate it here:

Capture.PNG.94d4c2b419a38a5a6b824b352d98e39e.PNG

You look at these names and artwork and try to tell me anything can beat 'em.  Name one thing that's better than that art.  I'll wait.

Yes, I know the names are weird because they're Japan's versions of European names, but just take the joke for what it is.

Though in all seriousness, as much as I like some of the redesigns in SD/New Mystery...

Spoiler

CXxxfG8.png

This is genuinely my favorite version of Catria.

And I've seen a lot of people claim that her Heroes version is the best...

But in my honest stinky opinion, she looks too cutesy in that.

6 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Oh, now we're getting some spicy opinions here?  Well then...

I at least like the facelift our dear friend Abel received in each subsequent remake.

I mean, you go from

Abel.png

really derpy to

abel.gif

pretty bad ass to

Abel

I mean hot damn, look at this guy.

No wonder Est and Palla have the hots for him.

He went from goofy lime green knight to the most handsome paladin this side of Archanea.

Cain

Cain looks cooler, too.

Gordin

And Gordon looks a little less like a shota.

Hide contents

I mean compared to this

gordon.gif

and this

Gordin

It's at least a minor improvement.

Spoiler

go to 5:24 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mnKc13tljs

But Mars.

That being said, there's one thing that'll always be better in the original games, and that's the oh-so-beautiful names and Marth's artwork.

I mean... have you ever heard of...

Hide contents

fe5-046.jpg

ROJAR

or...

fe5-007.jpg

JORJUE?

or have you seen the oh-so-glorious...

Hide contents

H3uMhRU.png

PANTSLESS MARTH???

Which was so good, they just had to recreate it here:

Capture.PNG.94d4c2b419a38a5a6b824b352d98e39e.PNG

You look at these names and artwork and try to tell me anything can beat 'em.  Name one thing that's better than that art.  I'll wait.

Yes, I know the names are weird because they're Japan's versions of European names, but just take the joke for what it is.

Nothing namewise (at least within Fire Emblem) but can we agree that cipher at least took some of these designs and helped make them pop by being more distinct and colorful

Though in all seriousness, as much as I like some of the redesigns in SD/New Mystery...

Hide contents

CXxxfG8.png

This is genuinely my favorite version of Catria.

And I've seen a lot of people claim that her Heroes version is the best...

But in my honest stinky opinion, she looks too cutesy in that.

Overall I do like the heroes version of Catria and Palla more, but I like the echoes design for all 3 sisters as well

Glad to hear that you had a good time with the game and congrats on being victorious. I'm surprised to see Samto, Norne, Astram and Midia on your list there haha, unusual units are always fun to see. To name some units I used in some capacity that you didn't (list) yourself, Jeorge - A rank bows at base is delicious, Ricard - along with Julian to plunder faster :har: his character is fun too, Etzel - usable/useful out of the box, Feena.

Edit: Oh yeah, Endless battle I would say is one of my favorite FE tracks and Tearing Shadows is up there somewhere too.

On 11/2/2017 at 8:39 AM, LucarioGamer812 said:

I think it's scripted Marth gets the crit, or any unit tbh, as on that alt file both Chris and Katarina got crits with less then 30% chances (with Gradivus and Aura respectfully)

Huh... Marth got a crit too on my last play-through, thought I was just lucky.

@Ertrick36 Regarding Catria's design, agreed that her Echoes design is gorgeous. It's a little odd that she looks older than Palla though, to me at least.

On the subject of handsome facelifts... my man Jeorge!

George.png  george.gif  fe11-jeorge.png  jeorge.png

He's feeling a little down, presumably about things going south, in New Mystery though.

Edited by donkeykhang
music

4 hours ago, donkeykhang said:

Glad to hear that you had a good time with the game and congrats on being victorious. I'm surprised to see Samto, Norne, Astram and Midia on your list there haha, unusual units are always fun to see. To name some units I used in some capacity that you didn't (list) yourself, Jeorge - A rank bows at base is delicious, Ricard - along with Julian to plunder faster :har: his character is fun too, Etzel - usable/useful out of the box, Feena.

Edit: Oh yeah, Endless battle I would say is one of my favorite FE tracks and Tearing Shadows is up there somewhere too.

Huh... Marth got a crit too on my last play-through, thought I was just lucky.

@Ertrick36 Regarding Catria's design, agreed that her Echoes design is gorgeous. It's a little odd that she looks older than Palla though, to me at least.

On the subject of handsome facelifts... my man Jeorge!

George.png  george.gif  fe11-jeorge.png  jeorge.png

He's feeling a little down, presumably about things going south, in New Mystery though.

Astram and Midia are personal favorites of mine so of course I'd use them, I never got to use Norne in shadow dragon and I was already phasing out Ryan and Gordin so I was like why not. Samto I used do to a youtubers impact. Long ago they did a playthrough of FE3, and a combination of Samto and Linde killed Hardin, and he said Samto was a joke character. well I watched that before going back to playing and I just decided to use him. I would have tried to use Jeorge but I typically don't use pre-promotes unless I really like them. I never deployed Ricard as that extra slot could be given to a combat unit to help Julian survive. Etzel I would have used too but I was arena grinding that chapter and I got sick of it so I finished grinding a few units and moved on. Plus I already had 3 mages planned/on my team. Feena was good but similar to Ricard. I did also have like 3-4 sword only units so that was just inbalance in my head (complains about inbalance, uses 5 paladins)

Yeah both of those tracks are great and really defined New Mystery for me, Can I say I feel the smash4 medley of new mystery does not represent the game?

More evidence to prove this theory

Don't get me wrong I do like echoes design, just in my head I like armor designs with chestplates and shoulder pauldrons so it's all preference.

Man Jeorge has improved. I think everyone is down in New Mystery though to be fair

3 hours ago, Azz said:

Question, what was your opinion of Kris?

Kris was alright. I know people don't like how everyone sucks up to him and I kinda feel the same. I do feel like Kris did his/her job well, being the other half of Marth and understanding sacrifice, they were willing to die for Marth and do anything for him (dying of course being referenced to in the character ending of the non-true playthrough) and made it so Marth has fully understood as the sole hero, even though Marth relied on others. Ultimately though Chris was mostly a minor character and didn't impact the story too much beyond the assassination sub-plot and stuff. I've said it a few times but I think FE3 is how the general public and history books recorded this event, while FE12 is how it actually happened. Which the entire foreshadowing to Awakening is nice and all, since Chrom and Robin share a similar bond, and while I do like Robin and think they fit well in Awakening (despite really no character development, I only see the dialogue option at Emmeryns sacrifice and the endgames choice as being development) I personally think Kris did the job of avatar better, aside from really customizable appearance, origin, and growths, Kris didn't try to take over the plot and was a really nice supporting character, like Jagen, but playable. In short, Kris has their faults, but is still a good character and my preferred way of doing an avatar.