Things you don't like about your favorite games.

Armagon

No game is perfect. Even if we rate a game as 10/10, there's going to be that one tiny little thing that you don't like about that game. So, what are things about your favorite games that you don't like. I'll list mine.

• Xenoblade Chronicles is an amazing game but i never liked how tedious some of the sidequests could get. The ones involving killing enemies was pretty straightforward but then there's ones involving items that are like, really rare to find. Then there's the fact that some of the NPCs are just hard to find. I know X made improvements to the sidequest system but i've never played X. Oh, i also hated paying for my insolence.
  • The Azure Striker Gunvolt series is my favorite Indie Game series of all time but there's one thing i never understood and that's the Challenge System. The Challenge System itself is pretty straightforward. Except for the part where you can't complete a Challenge if you haven't unlocked it yet, even if you beat the requirments. For example: Challenge A says to beat the mission at a B Rank. Doing so unlocks Challenge B which says to beat the mission with an S Rank. However, you do Challenge A and beat the mission with an S Rank. This doesn't complete Challenge B. This completes Challenge A and unlocks Challenge B, even though what you just did should complete both of them. So that basically means that you gotta do the mission again to complete Challenge B. It just feels like it's there to add on more replay-value. The games have plenty of replay-value already.
  • Of course, there's my favorite FE, Shadows of Valentia. Main thing i don't like about it is the Desert Maps.
  • I love Binding Blade too but i just hate Ch.21 with a passion.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is probably my favorite Mario Kart game but the Coin item should just die.
  • Smash 4 is great but i didn't like how easy it was to unlock all of the characters. It felt too fast. But, i suppose it is a step-up from the long requirements it took to unlock characters in Melee.
  • Majora's Mask 3D nerfed the Zora Mask and i didn't like that.
    • On the flip side, the original Majora's Mask basically needed a guide to complete all of the sidequests.
      • Both Majora's Mask versions had the bullshit Goron Race.

There's more to this list but i'm just gonna end it off here for now.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's see:

• The Wind Waker:
    • Triforce Shards should have been cut down from eight to three and put in full dungeons. 
    • Some of the islands are really empty.
    • Tetra's characterization after turning into Zelda needs some fixing, she suddenly becomes a lot more... damsel-y.  
  • A Link Between Worlds:
    • The game comes up with a very interesting theme: "Is it fine to sacrifice one kingdom to save another?"  ...The problem?  This is only discussed during the last 20 minutes of the game.  They could do so much more with this than they did.
  • Dragon Quest VI:
    • Classes take forever to build. 
    • Terry has no party chats in Felonia, despite that being his hometown.
    • Milly spends a while as a non-playable party member... only to be immediately promoted to a playable party member rather than leaving the party for a bit.  So she's effectively locked out of EXP and direct commands for a bit for no real reason.
  • Binding Blade:
    • Roy's promotion time,
    • The backstory being a concentrated exposition dump in Chapter 24 rather than throughout the game
    • Wolt not being as great as he deserves to be gameplaywise
    • Roy needing more showing in terms of developing his character.  
    • The way Illia/Sacae is decided annoys me, I'd like to be able to do either route when using the characters I want, rather than being locked to Illia all the time.
    • Fae being super limited.
  • Dragon Quest VII:
    • PSX version:
      • The translation
      • classes take forever to build
      • Swords Dance is hilariously broken in this version of the game, if you know how to get it.  
      • Speaking of getting Swords Dance, combo skills were a massive guide dang it in general.  The only hint you get of their existence is the weird "As a X, Y is becoming matured" or "As a X, Y is making up!" statements you sometimes get after leveling a class/battles.  There's no real indication that they work by getting these statements in two specific classes in succession.
    • 3DS version:
      • a lot of puzzles were trimmed down or outright removed. 
      • The prologue, while it was LONG before (it takes like 3 hours to get into a fight with slimes in the PSX version when playing blind, about 1.5-2 hours if you know what you're doing) loses a lot of atmosphere by replacing the mysterious shrine puzzles with a fetch quest and adding the unnamed fairy dude.  
      • Continuing off what I was saying about combo skills before, the 3DS version deciding to outright remove the mechanic entirely isn't what I would have done.  I would have explained the system more clearly instead.  In addition, since classes grow faster in the 3DS version the mechanic could have been made faster too if that was the worry.
      • The tablet dungeons, due to piecing together pieces of other areas to form, were incredibly repetitive.  And the "super mook" bosses felt generic.
      • Young Mervyn's tablet... it ends on such an abrupt note.  You show his friend the carpet and then... nothing.  Mervyn and his friend just keep hiding from their boss and the boss just keeps asking where they are.  
    • Both: 
      • The general bloatedness of the game.  DQVII is long.  And while I don't really have a problem with this on its own, it kinda veers into "being long for the sake of being long" territory at times.  Similarly, the monster classes feel like they're just there for the sake of it, and while the 3DS version did make them more worthwhile, it still felt kinda pointless to use them besides like, mastering healslime for Multiheal.    
Edited by Glaceon Mage

That they had to end.

No, I'll actually give serious, thought-out answers.

• The Metal Gear Solid franchise in general has a tendency to get really convoluted.  It didn't start with the first game, but rather the second game, which actually is one of my favorites in the franchise.  The convolutedness of the series is notorious for making you do a triple take of the games just so you actually understand what's going on with the plot.  At least MGS V is fairly straight-forward, because I really don't want to have to play through that all over again.
  • If there's anything I had to pick about Valkyria Chronicles that I didn't like, it's the more "anime" aspect of it.  No, I don't mean the artstyle; I'm talking some of the slice-of-life scenes within it and some of the mannerisms of the characters.  Of course I don't expect a rated T game to be this super dark and gritty game, and I'd be fine with some elements to lighten the mood, but while it can be a fairly serious war game a lot of the time, there are also moments that just scream "anime".  The sequel is so much worse about it, though.  VC2 is basically an anime high school drama with war elements thrown in as sporting events and the occasional serious moments.
  • Fire Emblem (at least the later ones) can be guilty of the same thing as VC sometimes.
  • With a lot of Bethesda games, mainly the Fallout and TES games, there's a few things I don't like.  First, that they gotta come out so buggy, and the devs don't even bother fixing it because they know modders will eventually do so anyway.  Secondly, I don't like the RPG elements getting watered down; in Fallout New Vegas I felt like I was making my own unique Mojave explorer with his or her strengths and weaknesses, but in Fallout 4 I just felt like I was gradually building up an unstoppable death machine.  Thirdly, I've never been a fan of the simplistic narrative of their games, at least in Fallout 3, Fallout 4, and Skyrim.  It's either that they shove morals in your face and make choices a clear-cut two-forked road or they just throw morality out the window entirely and make it so that potentially shitty actions you make don't have any real negative consequences for anyone other than your enemies.  Of course the last one is mostly subjective, but it's my own stinky opinion.
  • I have a lot of fun with Dragon Ball Xenoverse, but even the sequel had a smorgasbord of issues.  Why can't you fly immediately?  Why don't they stack the RNG drops better for offline play?  Why isn't there a "no CaC" option in online multiplayer vs. mode?  Why am I not able to color my clothes freely without mods?  If I listed every issue the game had, I'd not only be here all day, but I'd also give the impression that I hate the game, which I really don't.  I'll just say that while it's quite fun, it's still a really flawed game.

These are all the ones I can think of at the moment.

Fire Emblem Awakening

• Incomplete models
  • Fanboys constantly bringing up it saved the franchise
  • I love-hate this part, I love being OP but also hate how easy the game is once you've played through it so many times
  • Plot could be written better

Pokemon Platinum

• Ummmmmm nothing I guess, maybe the not as memorable soundtrack, it fit the game most definitely but wasn't memorable aside from Cynthia's theme

Project X Zone 2

• The 2 hour final level
  • The fun yet very repetitive and tedious combat
  • long campaign ruins the mood unless you play in spurts (5 prologue levels, 40 chapters, 1 endgame level)
  • No variation in objectives, mainly it's route or defend/route
  • Occasional crash when watching the opening
  • Why is there a fanservice scene in my turn based rpg with fighting game mechanics?
  • Spoiler

Basically it has every playable female character + 2 npc's bathing naked in a hot spring, it's locked behind ng+ and any sensitive parts are magically blocked by hair or arms, plus having to blow into your 3ds is very very weird, fates was weird but this is weirder

Valkyria Chronicles

• Unbalanced gameplay (scout rushing)

• Unrewarding for actual strategy (the game rewards scout rushing more so then actually playing strategically)

• Difficulty spikes

God Eater 2 Rage Burst

• Character models mean nothing in hub
  • Hub character models do not wear the outfit battle models do (you can equip outfits on party members, but it's only in gameplay where it applys, not in the hub and cutscenes (which can be a thing since the player characters model can be whatever and all cutscenes depict the player wearing whatever)
  • Difficulty, a very tough game until you get the point where you can break the game, I am yet there even after beating the postgame
Edited by LucarioGamer812

Shin Megami Tensei series: Law always seems to get the short end of the stick in terms of positive representation, which is kind of a problem in a series that tries to present morally gray conflicts.  This is a particularly big problem in Shin Megami Tensei II, which is one of a few reasons why I dislike it in comparison to other games in the series, along with the facts that offensive magic is worse in SMT2 than in any other game in the series, and that the twelve Godly Generals exist.

FE: Shadow Dragon:

-The gaidens + the fact the prologue is locked to NM

-The lack of support conversations. Even RD supports would have been fine with me over the one we got which you wouldn't really know about unless you looked into it

-The lack of dismounting (Which was planned but removed)

-Stuff like Elysian Whips being restricted to the online shop

-The lack of official artwork for the majority of the cast

Bravely Default:

-The loop (The main reason I don't wanna replay the game)

-The fact some costumes weren't in the localized version (Bravo Bunny, Dimensional Officer, Military Cadet-In-Training, Wakou Warrior)

-The ending being like, 'Oh yeah now you gotta play Bravely Second to find out what happens'

LoZ: Skyward Sword:

-Motion controls

-How un-open the open world is

-The fact if I do my favourite part of a certain quest first I can break the game

Spyro The Dragon (The whole OG trilogy):

-The fact it hasn't gotten the same treatment Crash got recently (PS4 remaster when? Give me muh childhood)

Kid Icarus: Uprising:

-The fact we don't have a sequel yet

Crash Bandicoot 3:
Time Relics, when I'd rather exploit a glitch to get 106% completion than do it the right way, you screwed something up

MGS2: This is not a game, it's a movie, and this fact kills the 20% that tries to be a game

Fire Emblem Mystery of the Emblem: No Fast Foward button for enemy phase, Chapter 3

Bravely Default: (No, I love the loop, I thought it was great) 

- Praline a la mode

TWEWY: 

- Fix the controls

XCX:

- Hi yes, the story sucks butts. I'd get rid of Lao and Lin Lee Waste of Air. 

MegaTen (Yes the whole franchise): 

- Get rid of Persona 

- Continue to make everyone understand that Law route is the worst thing in all of existence 

- More Dagda 

- More Raidou vs.

- More of both DeSu and Desu 

FE 2/15:

- Get rid of the swamps, they are literally the worst thing in the series minus 14 and heroes 

Disgaea 1: 

- Fix that horrendous design choices

- make the Horse Weiner easier to steal

- Make it so you can't get the bad normal ending and make it that you can easily get the best and canon ending. 

Disgaea 2: 

- Get rid of all the endings that suck 

- Make Tink more important

Disgaea 3: 

- Heart segments, they are repetitive and boring 

Disgaea 4: 

- REMOVE THE WHOLE END GAME 

- Get rid of Nemo 

- Get rid of God 

- get rid of the Fuka and Desco's show stupidity and make it fun

Disgaea 5: 

- Add in a Seraphina mode

- Add in more to do after the main story

- Make Carnage worth it 

- Make Baal not suck 

Splatoon and Splat2n:

- Sloshers

- Dualies 

Animal Crossing: 

- Add back the geography used in the first game 

Pokemon (Whole series):

- R/S and ORAS need to be nuked, they are the worst in the series and they deserve to die in a hole 

Etrian Odyssey 3: 

- Balance this stuff 

Etrian Odyssey 5: 

- Make the first boss fair to fight, it will literally just one shot party members on the first turn for no reason 

1 hour ago, Azz said:

Kid Icarus: Uprising:

-The fact we don't have a sequel yet

Same.

Oh that reminds me, Hades' Heart can go fuck itself. Ch.23 is the only chapter i haven't beaten at 9.0 difficulty yet because of Hades' Heart.

2 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Binding Blade:

• Roy's promotion time,
  • The backstory being a concentrated exposition dump in Chapter 24 rather than throughout the game
  • Wolt not being as great as he deserves to be gameplaywise
  • Roy needing more showing in terms of developing his character.  
  • The way Illia/Sacae is decided annoys me, I'd like to be able to do either route when using the characters I want, rather than being locked to Illia all the time.

Pretty much agree with this. I'd also add "Fae only having one Dragonstone in the entire game". I never use Fae until Ch.24 because i'm scared of wasting her 30 use, irreplaceable Dragonstone before Endgame. This also kinda applies to Myrrh in Sacred Stones but at least she has 50 uses.

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'd also add "Fae only having one Dragonstone in the entire game".  I never use Fae until Ch. 24 because i'm scared of wasting her 30 use, irreplaceable Dragonstone before Endgame.

If you play right, you should be able to get Fae to Level 20 while keeping her Dragonstone intact.  Of course, by that point it'll barely have any uses left, but hey, what can you do?

Still, they should've at least made it repairable with Hammerne if they were only going to give you one.

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

That they had to end.

Ultimately this.

Pokémon

• Constantly locking Regional Pokédex-native Pokémon to the post-game. Lucario in Sun and Moon for example.
  • Forced Capture Tutorials. Wally in Gen 3 and the remakes was fine, I never once felt like I was being tutored. Can we please just go back to Gen 2 where a guy offers to show you how to catch Pokémon if you don't know?
  • Not explaing the third Legendary decently in the originals. Basically, give us Delta Episodes for every game AFTER Gen 3.
  • X and Y should've recieved updates that added the new items, abilities, moves and forms from ORAS.
  • Sun and Moon caused me to rename Melemele Island "Tutorial Island" since it's a more fitting name for it.
  • Sun and Moon additionally had too little to do in the post-game. While X and Y are partially guilty of this too, I enjoyed XY's aftergame too much to care.

Honestly, this is all I feel like writing right now.

I'll go with my top 4.

Dragon Quest 7 - It's paced pretty poorly, and the fact that it will take somebody who knows what they're doing about 15 hours to unlock classed is a big knock against it, especially since the combat is pretty standard until you unlock classes. 

Psychonauts - Honestly I wish there were more worlds in the game. What's there is great, but it felt like it could have used 3 or 4 more worlds. Some of the Psy powers are pretty useless, and there are some questionable levels. Black Velvetopia is visually one of the coolest things I've seen in gaming, but the level structure is probably the weakest in the game. 

REmake - Crimson Heads are an incredible idea, but the randomness of them is kinda bleh, and they can revive in some really inopportune times/areas. Lisa Trevor sections are also better on paper than they are in practice, with her segments being pretty tense at first, but ultimately they tend to be pretty predictable after a while, and once you have a clear path, she has no way of keeping up with you. Some bosses, like Yawn, weren't any more fun to fight than they were in the original, and still pretty clunky. 

Final Fantasy 9 - The speed of the combat is about 20-30% slower than it needs to be, and some of the side stories that characters go on when the party splits for the first disc and a half really aren't that interesting, and replaying the game just makes you wish everyone'd meet up so you can get to the good bits. 

KH BBS:

• That each characters' (barring Aqua's to a degree) story is relatively short and repetitive (that they all go to the exact same worlds)
  • Gaining abilities is left COMPLETELY to chance
  • The extra boss fights (not including the Mirage Arena) are out right unfair.
  • It had to be put on a portable device, instead of a console. So much potential and opportunity was lost because of limitation, that the story can sometimes seem rushed.

KH DDD: (okay, its not my fav, but this still needs to be said)

• DREAM EATERS. Their entire concept, I didn't like at all

FE Echoes:

• The 3D exploration is limited only to dungeons. Yeah, it was planned, but its a damn shame it didn't make it to the end game
  • That both Conrad and Berkut didn't appear to the other army, making their involvement in the game much bigger.
  • Only The Deliverance gets extra backstory

FE Shadow Dragon:

• basically everything @Azz said (even though I only played it on normal)
  • The lack of reverence to Michalis, despite being somewhat of a counterpart to Marth (its much more apparent in the FE1 manga though)

FE after DS:

• The removal of event recap

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm (the series):

• The jutsu clashing that's the original carried over from the Ultimate Ninja series was removed in everything after it.
  • The strong punch from the original that closed up on the character's face when hit being removed
  • Transitioning the battle onto walls from the original being removed

Dynasty Warriors:

• The removal of duels!

Spiderman (PSX)

• The game really hasn't aged well. As much as I still like it, that is almost entirely nostalgia-based love.
  • The controls, largely due to the above, can be a little wonky or uncomfortable at times. They aren't bad because I'm used to them, but they're a little finicky.
  • The helicopter chase toward the beginning of the game is not as tense as the cool music and the voice lines make it seem, it's too easy

Resident Evil 4

• Even though it's my favorite game in the franchise, it started the slow removal of the horror aspect of Resident Evil.
  • They spend all this time hyping up a few of the bosses but they turn out to be total chumps - namely Salazar and Krauser, who are respectively fought right after picking up a rocket launcher that one-shots them and weak to the knife
  • Chapter 5, outside of the rooms with Regenerators/Iron Maidens, feels more like a third person shooter than a horror game.
  • There are only a handful of really good weapons and they all show up during chapters 3 and 4 (except the Killer7 but the Broken Butterfly is free)

Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest

• I will defend Fates's pairup mechanics for being so much better balanced than Awakening...but I still don't like pairup conceptually all that much.
  • Dual strikes are annoying and cause pairing-up to be a really important part of the strategy, and since I don't like pairup I inherently don't like these either. However, I'm glad these aren't only tools for the player (like in Awakening) because it makes the game more stimulating and improves balance.
  • The multiplayer is bad, but that's Fire Emblem for you.

Pokemon

• Terribly balanced PvP despite that being one of the main draws of the game. The IV and EV systems are trash and only serve to waste time, and shouldn't exist.
  • They keep trying to push the story more and more, and you can never skip the cutscenes. It isn't like the stories aren't improving, but the more unskippable cutscenes are in a game the less replayable it is. I have yet to replay Sun and Moon despite liking it a lot on my first run.

Star Wars Battlefront II

• THEY'VE SENT IN THE SUPERS
  • Space was a fun novelty but it wasn't super interesting. Dogfights were fun but they weren't conducive to actually winning the battle. On the other hand, the much more consistent way to win via destroying the capital ship was repetitive. Infiltrating it was only fun so many times, too. I imagine this was better in multiplayer, but I didn't have access to it at the time.
  • The campaign centering around the 501st made me totally uninterested in the story. I don't like Clone Troopers being Stormtroopers, basically.
  • Playing as a Jedi/Hero either ended in you steamrolling the enemy or getting two shot and completely wasting it. The non-Jedi Heroes just played like worse versions of normal troopers, for the most part.

Dragonball Z Budokai 3

• Convoluted character unlock requirements
  • GT
  • Goku and Vegeta's stories are the ones most worth playing. The others are all way short and you can feel how Toriyama was shoving non-Saiyans to the side as the series progressed.
  • Not enough Dragonball representation.

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike

• Although I like the cast, having many older characters not present was jarring at first
  • I still can't figure out Ibuki

Persona 3 FES

• Not being able to directly control your allies can lead to some frustrating situations in the midgame
  • Having to hear Fuuka's voice the entire game becomes ear-wrenching.

Persona 5

• Ohya exists, complete with a mediocre social link and the worst confidant bonuses in the game
  • The palaces are the best designed dungeons in the series, except for Okumura's which is just fighting dudes and travel that is more visually appealing than actually fun.

There are more but this post is already way, way too long. These are just things that came to mind.

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

To choose a few games,

1) Pokémon - I don't know about others, but good story is one of my top priorities to rating a game. Out of all the Pokémon games I played (which are almost all except for the Gameboy era games), Pokémon B/W was the only one that I remembered the storyline for. I never remembered any other games' plot after I finished playing it. As I was and still is replaying White, I realized that the reason why B/W lasted longer in my head since I first played as a little kid. They had distinctive characters that made them stand out from other Pokémon villains. Also, the philosophical idea in the story and the concept of the antagonists seemingly wanting to 'free' all Pokémon appealed to me. Anyways, Pokémon could have been better without the usual cliche of you are a starting Pokémon trainer, you encounter a group who wants to take over the world or something, you defeat them, you become the Pokémon master, good job. You finished the game. Sure, you can still play after the official ending of the game, but there are no side stories or anything that interests me. All to do in the post-game is to "catch them all" and max out their levels.

2) Fire Emblem Fates/Awakening - Again, I felt the need for the story to change a little, and take away the unnecessary aspects, like the children who have no affect to the story. I don't actually hate Corrin like most people do. In fact, their naive personality further complicates the story (but yes, all characters do tend to kiss their butt). Some parts of the story didn't make sense to me and took me a while to figure out. Also, poor character modeling. Someone already mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again since it disturbed me since the first time I played Awakening. Sure, the illustrations, music, and cutscenes are great, but the characters' models that appear in the game are blurry, and Awakening characters' feet are little stumps instead of real feet. Finally, the fanservice that was added into Fates. This includes some of the more mature games I like also. Unnecessary fanservice are usually done to attract players, but to me, they ruin my gaming experience. I feel uncomfortable using Charlotte, Camilla, or any of the female dark mages in the battle if anybody is watching me. Even when I'm playing by myself, I keep noticing the unnecessary intervals of the disturbing character designs.

3) Undertale - There's actually not a lot to say about this, as many fans of Undertale already knows this. Undertale is a great game with interesting stories and differences in every playthroughs that can keep me entertained every gameplay. However, the disturbing people of the fandom that harass people for playing Genocide, liking Sans when they are Sans's "true girlfriend", etc. take me a step away from liking the game.

Skyward Sword- Fighting the damn imprisoned a million times and so close together each time. Also not giving me a choice for when Zelda gives a question in the ending.

Mario Galaxy- The observatory, while pretty, is hard to get around at times and takes a while to figure out. The final Bowser fight, like several other recent 3D Mario games, copies other ones with little variation imo. Also the purple coin stuff is hell in its purest form.

FE4- It's tedious at times and I have no idea how people in Japan got by without a fast-foward button. Also the story is not communicated in the best fashion. 

Rune Factory 4- There are very few animated cutscenes for some reason. I guess they were too pricy for the devs? Also, you can marry a loli that is definitely too young (there isn't even an excuse unlike FE), but you can't marry Illuminata? Good thing Forte is the best anyway.

Majora's Mask:

• As much as I love the game, the first four hours of the game (when you're stuck with Deku Link) almost turned me down the first time I played it, and is quite a problem when I want to recommend the game to someone. I'm aware why it was done, but so many people seem like they were turned down from this game by this part alone, which is really sad to hear since this is not just my favorite LoZ, but one of my favorite games of all time.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

• Second half of the game is just the castle... only upside down. While that change did result in a few interesting rooms to travel through, some areas really didn't benefit from this. Ends up feeling like pure laziness from the developers. Also, the song is the same for most areas.

Danganronpa (the series)

• Without spoiling anything, I love a lot of the characters in all three games, but there are some you know were just put there to fill space or to be killed. I think this is way more evident with Danganronpa 2.

Fire Emblem Echoes: SoV

• I know this is a remake, but... couldn't some of these maps get remade or something? Especially the desert ones in Celica's side, seriously.
  • Speaking of Celica, she starts as a really interesting character, but Act 4 throws her under a bus. And in Act 5, it's up to Alm to save her... because she can't save herself on her own, apparently. She had so much potential to be a great female protagonist, but then this happens.
  • Also, the whole thing with the DLC is just pure BS?

Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL

• REALLY hard to get into at first because the game doesn't explain its mechanics in the most ideal way. You can only learn anything about the Jobs mechanic for explain if you either mess around in the Jobs menu or read the utterly boring text tutorials the game offers. Better than nothing, but still not exactly what I'd call "good".
  • Really, and I mean, really easy to break.
  • After playing Fire Emblem, the fact this game has no way of skipping enemy actions or any sort of fast-foward button annoys me a bit.

I wrote way more than I actually wanted to, haha. Sorry 'bout that.

Legend of Zelda 1:

• The English translation was extremely vague on hints, and changed a couple useful hints in the Japanese version for no rhyme or reason.
  • Blue Wizzrobes were a pain in the ass to face, and your best bet was to bomb and stab them with the Magic Sword if you had it.
  • Game balance was a bit unusual: Level 6 was harder than Level 7. Level 8 in the second quest had weak enemies and the "boss" is the exact same from an earlier room in the dungeon.
  • Bad ending to a great game.

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance:

• After Circle of the Moon was said to be difficult, the difficulty is almost non-existent in this game.
  • The sound chip definitely took a step backward in this game compared to CotM.
  • Disappointingly easy final boss after a moderately difficult fight with Maxim.

Dragon Quest IV (both NES and DS):

• NES version - Chapter 5 had mandatory IQ control over your characters. Why is this bad? Because Kiryl/Cristo had an uncanny habit to cast instant death spells over healing.
  • Both versions - Borya/Brey had ice spells that most, if not all enemies resisted it, meaning he gets benched early on. He does have use in the final battle on the DS version where he can buff one character before the final boss removes all buffs on the party.
  • DS version - I felt the translation and accents felt a bit awkward at times, and despite the North American NES version having to deal with NoA's censorship, it had a more fluid translation in my opinion.

53 minutes ago, familyplayer said:

Rune Factory 4- There are very few animated cutscenes for some reason. I guess they were too pricy for the devs? Also, you can marry a loli that is definitely too young (there isn't even an excuse unlike FE), but you can't marry Illuminata? Good thing Forte is the best anyway.

Xaio Pai is best what are you talking about Honestly the only gripe I've got  with RF4 is that there's a bit of a huge level spike in the postgame.

Europa Universalis IV:

• Ming's (i.e. China's) sphere of influence can grow to like half of asia and you have to be very strong to attack into it since they will defend every tributary state they have.
  • My hometown is considered to have Westphalian culture. Ugh. (Disclamer: I don't really care, like, at all)
  • This is not really EU4-specific, but playing a game to the "official" end gets tedious and unfun sooner or later.

Civilization V:

• It doesn't have Civ2's advisors.
  • Playing with religion is potentially super annoying when other civs send their prophets your way. You can't tell them to fuck off (well, you can, but they don't care), they don't care about closed borders and the only thing you can do about them is to block their path every single turn.
  • This is not really CivV-specific, but playing a game until you're officially "won" gets tedious and unfun sooner or later.

Civilization IV:

• It doesn't have Civ2's advisors.
  • Religion itself is actually less annoying than it will be in V (you can have multiple religions in one city, so foreign missionaries don't kick out your own religion), but religious victory is super random and stupid.
  • This is not really CivIV-specific, etc.pp.

9 hours ago, familyplayer said:

Rune Factory 4- There are very few animated cutscenes for some reason. I guess they were too pricy for the devs?

Rune Factory 4 is the only Rune Factory game i've played. Were there more animated cutscenes in previous games?

9 hours ago, familyplayer said:

Good thing Forte is the best anyway

8 hours ago, Ren_Ambrose said:

Xaio Pai is best what are you talking about

You're both wrong, Clorica is best.

8 hours ago, Ren_Ambrose said:

Honestly the only gripe I've got  with RF4 is that there's a bit of a huge level spike in the postgame.

Oooh, yeah, i remember getting wrecked in the postgame. Had to do some grinding. What even is the level cap though? I'm like, Lv.200 or something and some of the postgame dungeons have a recommended level of 300.

8 hours ago, sleeplesskar said:

Majora's Mask:

• As much as I love the game, the first four hours of the game (when you're stuck with Deku Link) almost turned me down the first time I played it, and is quite a problem when I want to recommend the game to someone. I'm aware why it was done, but so many people seem like they were turned down from this game by this part alone, which is really sad to hear since this is not just my favorite LoZ, but one of my favorite games of all time.

My thoughts on the first hours are pretty much the same as yours. It was actually less of an issue in the remake though but being confined to Clock Tower for the first 3-Day Cycle was definitely one of the low points in the game (though i'd rather be stuck in Clock Tower than participate in the Goron Race).

That reminds me, another thing i didn't like about the original Majora's Mask was the Twinmold fight. The remake changed it up and made it more fun but the original version of the fight was tedious. I had to grind Faries and get the Romani Milk for infinite magic.

Edited by Armagon

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Were there more animated cutscenes in previous games?

No. IIRC, only Frontier also had the cutscenes. I was just surprised I guess that the animated stuff was only for introducing bachelors/bachelorettes as well as for the marriage events. Which brings me to another gripe with RF4. Marriage events are very difficult to activate as you pretty much have to save scum to activate the right events with your spouse of choice or hope to God that the right ones do activate and it's not some random crap or the sleepover event for the millionth time. Good thing the internet exists or I would have given up on getting my character married and would stay in dating limbo.

1 hour ago, familyplayer said:

I would have given up on getting my character married and would stay in dating limbo.

...Are we talking real life or games still? gross sobbing cause I can't talk to girls to save my life