Hi there, so I would like to essentially make the Rapier effective against sword users but I honestly have no idea how to do this. I've never used Hex codes or anything so hopefully someone could give me a hand! Thanks :)

If FE6 is like FE7, then there should be an effectiveness pointer in the Nightmare Item Editor module. That will point to a list of classes, ending in 00. If you open up the ROM in a hex editor and write in the class numbers belonging to classes you want the Rapier to be effective against in a list somewhere (e.g. at $1000000, write 01 03 05 00 etc.) and then write 0x9000000 into the effectiveness pointer in Nightmare then it should work as you want it to. Just remember to only have one program open at a time.

You don't put the classes in the effectiveness pointer, you put the pointer. A pointer basically tells the game where it can go to find the information it needs.

The class numbers you can get from Nightmare.

1) Find some free space in the ROM. Usually a section containing a bunch of 00's or FF's. For this example, I'll pretend FE6 has free space at 0x056789
2) Write the hex value for each class you want to be affected by the weapon. End the list with 00.
3) Now go to the effectiveness pointer in the Nightmare module. To create a pointer to your free space address, you need to add 0x8000000 to the address. So we'll put 0x08056789 in for the pointer.
4) Save and test it in game

It seems like you don't have a grasp yet on some of the common terms/concepts for GBA hacking. I suggest reading the Ultimate Tutorial to get some understanding.

Just now, Primefusion said:

You don't put the classes in the effectiveness pointer, you put the pointer. A pointer basically tells the game where it can go to find the information it needs.

The class numbers you can get from Nightmare.

1) Find some free space in the ROM. Usually a section containing a bunch of 00's or FF's. For this example, I'll pretend FE6 has free space at 0x056789
2) Write the hex value for each class you want to be affected by the weapon. End the list with 00.
3) Now go to the effectiveness pointer in the Nightmare module. To create a pointer to your free space address, you need to add 0x8000000 to the address. So we'll put 0x08056789 in for the pointer.
4) Save and test it in game

It seems like you don't have a grasp yet on some of the common terms/concepts for GBA hacking. I suggest reading the Ultimate Tutorial to get some understanding.

Alright I followed this to the letter and yet it still isn't working. The space I used was 00849E70 I put in the hex values of 02 04 05 06 07 08 09 34 35 00 for the classes. Now, I used a calculator to add the 0x8000000 which gave me 8849E70 so I put in 0x8849E70 in the pointer. You are 100% correct, I have no idea how to do hex editing I have a basic understanding on how to use nightmare and that basically it.

1 hour ago, Jaygore said:

You are 100% correct, I have no idea how to do hex editing I have a basic understanding on how to use nightmare and that basically it.

Read the Ultimate tutorial for the basics, and if that doesn't work, watch some visual tutorials (Tutorials with screenshots or videos). Remember (since most videos are centered around FE7) that free space values are different by game. 

(https://youtu.be/JeDqzEYrfNA)

Edited by Attila
Giving a specific tutorial

8 hours ago, Jaygore said:

Alright I followed this to the letter and yet it still isn't working. The space I used was 00849E70 I put in the hex values of 02 04 05 06 07 08 09 34 35 00 for the classes. Now, I used a calculator to add the 0x8000000 which gave me 8849E70 so I put in 0x8849E70 in the pointer. You are 100% correct, I have no idea how to do hex editing I have a basic understanding on how to use nightmare and that basically it.

Do you have Nightmare and the hex editor open at the same time? Nightmare doesn't like to play nice when other programs have the ROM open at the same time it does.
Make your changes in the hex editor first, then open the ROM with Nightmare.

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎07 at 7:56 PM, Primefusion said:

Do you have Nightmare and the hex editor open at the same time? Nightmare doesn't like to play nice when other programs have the ROM open at the same time it does.
Make your changes in the hex editor first, then open the ROM with Nightmare.

Sorry for my late response! I was able to figure it out! I wasn't putting in the correct values in the effectiveness pointer! Thanks for your explanation!!