14 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

That seems incredibly harsh to me. So what if one of them ages faster than the other? If my wife were to age faster or slower than me it wouldn't change how I felt about her. The visual changes are gradual and, in the grand scheme of things, irrelevant to one's feelings. Sure, Micaiah will most likely have to deal with Sothe dying when she has several decades (at least) of life left, but that's a problem that anyone who marries someone far older than themselves expects to deal with in real life, too.

That was worded very poorly on my part. The "there is a reason" didn't actually have to do with the aging issue. What I was more referring to was the brother-sister like relationship.

As for them as a couple- they're quite open about their close relationship. None of the typical anime hero- stoicism or obliviousness- or embarrassment on either's side about the relationship exists. Heck Sothe is definable in RD as Micaiah's shadow and almost nothing more.

Sothe might be jealous of the closeness of others to Micaiah, but why does it have to be lovers' jealousy? 

Perhaps we just place different emphases on different lines and events. I for instance place a high value on the 4-Final-3 Base Conversation and accompanying CG:

Spoiler

Micaiah (***)

(Sothe is alive and has an A Support with Micaiah)

Sothe: Are you all right, Micaiah?
Micaiah: Yes, I’m fine. How about you, Sothe? Are you all right? You’re not hurt?
Sothe: I’m not a child, Micaiah! When are you going to start treating me like an adult?
Micaiah: Show me your hand.
Sothe: What?
Micaiah: Look at your hands. They’re so big… They were so small when we met.
Sothe: Micaiah…
Ike: Ahh… Sorry. Am I interrupting something?
Sothe: C-Commander!
Micaiah: It’s all right, Ike. How can we help you?
Ike: I was scrounging around in my stuff and found some extra medicine. I figured I’d ask around and see if anyone needed it.
Sothe: …I need to go get ready.
Ike: Hey, there’s no rush. We still have… He didn’t catch a word of that, did he?
Micaiah: I’m sorry about that.
Ike: How long have you been with him?
Micaiah: …A long time. I met him when I was hiding out in the back alleys of Nevassa, over ten years ago. He was so skinny, but his gaze was so piercing… I wondered how such a young boy could look like that. One day, I noticed he was standing close to me, just watching. He continued like that for a few days. One day, I held out my hand. He was suspicious of me, but came over anyway. He looked like a scared animal. Then his little hand slipped into mine. It was shaking. His fingers were so thin and frail. I couldn’t let go after that.
Micaiah: After that, we traveled together all over the continent. No matter where we went, we were always together.
Ike: The first time I met him, he’d hidden on a ship we were taking. He mentioned he was looking for someone who was like family to him. It was you he was searching for, wasn’t it?
Micaiah: I…I tried to leave him behind. When we went to Crimea, I split off from him and took a ship to Begnion. But when I reached Begnion, war had broken out between Crimea and Daein. I knew I had to return to Daein to look for him. I couldn’t find him, so I went to Crimea. But I still couldn’t find him… We found each other again after the war, in Daein. In the back alleys of Nevassa, where we first met.
Ike: You took routes opposite to each other.
Micaiah: When I told him why I’d disappeared, he got so angry… I’d never seen him get so emotional before.
Ike: I can’t say that I blame him. I’d be pretty furious if I heard someone that I loved was wandering around two countries at war. Besides, I’m sure he’d hidden his feelings about being abandoned until he saw you again.
Micaiah: I thought I was reaching the limit of how long I could stay with him. He grew each and every day, but I remained the same… I didn’t want him to be harmed by the curse I lived with. Can you imagine how hard that would have been on him?
Ike: You mean the blood of the laguz?
Micaiah: So you knew. Did you find out from the boy who’s always beside you?
Ike: Soren. Yeah. I guess you both know how to recognize people with a similar nature.
Micaiah: Yes. He and I are both Branded.
Ike: …Don’t use that word. You and Soren are both people. Just like me and everyone else.
Micaiah: People. You’re just like Yune. You call both laguz and beorcs people.
Ike: Why should I care about the color of your hair, eyes, and skin? Or your ears, wings, or tail? No matter how long you live or what powers you possess, we’re the same. At the end of the day, we’re all people.
Micaiah: … Sothe talks that way, too. His time with you changed him. Thank you, Ike. I’ve made up my mind.
Ike: About what? I didn’t realize we were doing anything but talking.
Micaiah: I thought I might travel to a far-off place after all of this was over. But I won’t. I’ll go back to Daein. No matter what happens, I’ll have Sothe by my side. I have nothing to fear as long as he’s with me.
Ike: It seems the feelings between you two run both ways. But that’s probably the wisest choice for Daein, and Sothe too. Anyway…
Micaiah: Oh, um… May I have some medicine?
Ike: Oh! Yeah, I almost forgot. Survive, Micaiah. We need you, and the goddess you host, to save the people of Tellius.
Micaiah: Yes. I know.

fe10-micaiah-and-child-sothe.png

I also like to keep in mind the Muarim-Tormod comparison brought up in PoR and subtly referenced in RD with the Micaiah-Muarim chat.

3 hours ago, Lost Impact said:

As for Micaiah becoming the Queen of Daein, maybe they could have altered the ending so Soren finds out he's the true heir? Micaiah becoming Queen is odd and doesn't fit her character, in game she states that she doesn't like being in the castle and would much rather help with reconstruction

I think the problem with Soren taking over Daein is it'd be just as out of character for him. Soren is a brilliant mind, but he lacks any charisma or personal charm. Daein could bear an ice cold but brutally efficient ruler- they put up old Ashy. But still, would Soren actually want to be a king? Maybe a minister or some other bureaucrat, but he seems too introverted for kingship. He has no personal tie to Daein (or anything but Ike), Ashnard and Almedha were never in his life, I can see him just turning it down. 

Really, the Daein throne has few good options at the end of RD. Micaiah is obviously the best being talented and extremely popular, but she might not love the position. Soren wouldn't want it, Pelleas realizes he's better a professor at Nevassa University than a monarch, and the traditional Daein royal family is next to dead if not completely dead if Soren opts not for the throne. Tauroneo is the sole surviving Four Rider of fame, but as I said before he'd lack a ready heir even with a son alive and is past the point of having kids anymore. Or Ike could take it as the son of the fabled Gawain, but we know he'd run into popularity issues, and isn't a fan of monarchy and nobility and all their customs on his end. Soren as his advisor could manage the kingdom, but he'd do nothing for the low favorability ratings.

2 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I'm one of the few people that like the conversations Micaiah and Ike had and thought they could've done so much more with that than they did. Ike x Micaiah is one of my very few crack ships and it makes me sad that no one else seems to like them xD But it is a crack ship so I get it.

Well the two don't really have any true animosity towards each other. They just so happen to be fighting on opposite sides and remain loyal to their causes. Micaiah initially dislikes Ike because of what he did to Daein (or more accurately what happened indirectly as a result of Ike's actions), but the very little time (thanks stupid Chaos Goddess pretending to be a bird!) they talk together in Part 4 is amicable enough.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I don't necessarily see why Micaiah can't be a ruler. Technically speaking, as the firstborn and true Apostle, she was naturally supposed to be the original Empress of Begnion. She has the charisma of a leader, and has the support of everyone. 

I would argue that Pelleas would urge Micaiah to be the ruler, as she would be the strong and caring leader that Daein needs. And I don't think that Micaiah would make a bad leader at all. 

I mean, Elincia was not raised to be a ruler, but she grew into the role. Micaiah is similar in that regard.

1 hour ago, Lost Impact said:

Agreed, Soren becoming the King of Daein would be very out of character for him. Hmm.

How about Nolan? I mean he was the actual leader of the Dawn Brigade.

Perhaps though I'm not sure if Nolan would be well received. Personally I love Nolan and wish he had more lines (as I do with all the DB) but.... Tauroneo would be a better option than Nolan, even with no heir, just by virtue of his military experience.

I still wish Pelleas would have kept the throne when they let him live, I think he could have grown into a very good leader and he was willing to be that leader.

48 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

To be honest, I don't necessarily see why Micaiah can't be a ruler. Technically speaking, as the firstborn and true Apostle, she was naturally supposed to be the original Empress of Begnion. She has the charisma of a leader, and has the support of everyone. 

I would argue that Pelleas would urge Micaiah to be the ruler, as she would be the strong and caring leader that Daein needs. And I don't think that Micaiah would make a bad leader at all. 

I mean, Elincia was not raised to be a ruler, but she grew into the role. Micaiah is similar in that regard.

To me it's not a matter of that she can't or wouldn't be a good one, it's more that she didn't seem to want to. The game says multiple times that she hates living in the castle and would much rather be helping the people in the city and she doesn't stay in the castle much. Being Queen means she wouldn't have a choice as leaving would put her life in major danger and it doesn't seem like a life that the wandering Micaiah would have been happy with.

Just now, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

To me it's not a matter of that she can't or wouldn't be a good one, it's more that she didn't seem to want to. The game says multiple times that she hates living in the castle and would much rather be helping the people in the city and she doesn't stay in the castle much. Being Queen means she wouldn't have a choice as leaving would put her life in major danger and it doesn't seem like a life that the wandering Micaiah would have been happy with.

However, much like the conversation that's been going on, refusing to take the throne has caused a discussion on who would be the ruler instead, meaning that this might actually have been the case if she refused: a power vacuum that needed to be filled. 

Even if one dislikes being a ruler, Micaiah is the type that would take the position if she feels it would be for the best. 

2 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:
3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That was worded very poorly on my part. The "there is a reason" didn't actually have to do with the aging issue. What I was more referring to was the brother-sister like relationship.

As for them as a couple- they're quite open about their close relationship. None of the typical anime hero- stoicism or obliviousness- or embarrassment on either's side about the relationship exists. Heck Sothe is definable in RD as Micaiah's shadow and almost nothing more.

Sothe might be jealous of the closeness of others to Micaiah, but why does it have to be lovers' jealousy? 

Perhaps we just place different emphases on different lines and events. I for instance place a high value on the 4-Final-3 Base Conversation and accompanying CG:

Reveal hidden contents

Micaiah (***)

(Sothe is alive and has an A Support with Micaiah)

Sothe: Are you all right, Micaiah?
Micaiah: Yes, I’m fine. How about you, Sothe? Are you all right? You’re not hurt?
Sothe: I’m not a child, Micaiah! When are you going to start treating me like an adult?
Micaiah: Show me your hand.
Sothe: What?
Micaiah: Look at your hands. They’re so big… They were so small when we met.
Sothe: Micaiah…
Ike: Ahh… Sorry. Am I interrupting something?
Sothe: C-Commander!
Micaiah: It’s all right, Ike. How can we help you?
Ike: I was scrounging around in my stuff and found some extra medicine. I figured I’d ask around and see if anyone needed it.
Sothe: …I need to go get ready.
Ike: Hey, there’s no rush. We still have… He didn’t catch a word of that, did he?
Micaiah: I’m sorry about that.
Ike: How long have you been with him?
Micaiah: …A long time. I met him when I was hiding out in the back alleys of Nevassa, over ten years ago. He was so skinny, but his gaze was so piercing… I wondered how such a young boy could look like that. One day, I noticed he was standing close to me, just watching. He continued like that for a few days. One day, I held out my hand. He was suspicious of me, but came over anyway. He looked like a scared animal. Then his little hand slipped into mine. It was shaking. His fingers were so thin and frail. I couldn’t let go after that.
Micaiah: After that, we traveled together all over the continent. No matter where we went, we were always together.
Ike: The first time I met him, he’d hidden on a ship we were taking. He mentioned he was looking for someone who was like family to him. It was you he was searching for, wasn’t it?
Micaiah: I…I tried to leave him behind. When we went to Crimea, I split off from him and took a ship to Begnion. But when I reached Begnion, war had broken out between Crimea and Daein. I knew I had to return to Daein to look for him. I couldn’t find him, so I went to Crimea. But I still couldn’t find him… We found each other again after the war, in Daein. In the back alleys of Nevassa, where we first met.
Ike: You took routes opposite to each other.
Micaiah: When I told him why I’d disappeared, he got so angry… I’d never seen him get so emotional before.
Ike: I can’t say that I blame him. I’d be pretty furious if I heard someone that I loved was wandering around two countries at war. Besides, I’m sure he’d hidden his feelings about being abandoned until he saw you again.
Micaiah: I thought I was reaching the limit of how long I could stay with him. He grew each and every day, but I remained the same… I didn’t want him to be harmed by the curse I lived with. Can you imagine how hard that would have been on him?
Ike: You mean the blood of the laguz?
Micaiah: So you knew. Did you find out from the boy who’s always beside you?
Ike: Soren. Yeah. I guess you both know how to recognize people with a similar nature.
Micaiah: Yes. He and I are both Branded.
Ike: …Don’t use that word. You and Soren are both people. Just like me and everyone else.
Micaiah: People. You’re just like Yune. You call both laguz and beorcs people.
Ike: Why should I care about the color of your hair, eyes, and skin? Or your ears, wings, or tail? No matter how long you live or what powers you possess, we’re the same. At the end of the day, we’re all people.
Micaiah: … Sothe talks that way, too. His time with you changed him. Thank you, Ike. I’ve made up my mind.
Ike: About what? I didn’t realize we were doing anything but talking.
Micaiah: I thought I might travel to a far-off place after all of this was over. But I won’t. I’ll go back to Daein. No matter what happens, I’ll have Sothe by my side. I have nothing to fear as long as he’s with me.
Ike: It seems the feelings between you two run both ways. But that’s probably the wisest choice for Daein, and Sothe too. Anyway…
Micaiah: Oh, um… May I have some medicine?
Ike: Oh! Yeah, I almost forgot. Survive, Micaiah. We need you, and the goddess you host, to save the people of Tellius.
Micaiah: Yes. I know.

fe10-micaiah-and-child-sothe.png

I also like to keep in mind the Muarim-Tormod comparison brought up in PoR and subtly referenced in RD with the Micaiah-Muarim chat.

I think the problem with Soren taking over Daein is it'd be just as out of character for him. Soren is a brilliant mind, but he lacks any charisma or personal charm. Daein could bear an ice cold but brutally efficient ruler- they put up old Ashy. But still, would Soren actually want to be a king? Maybe a minister or some other bureaucrat, but he seems too introverted for kingship. He has no personal tie to Daein (or anything but Ike), Ashnard and Almedha were never in his life, I can see him just turning it down. 

Really, the Daein throne has few good options at the end of RD. Micaiah is obviously the best being talented and extremely popular, but she might not love the position. Soren wouldn't want it, Pelleas realizes he's better a professor at Nevassa University than a monarch, and the traditional Daein royal family is next to dead if not completely dead if Soren opts not for the throne. Tauroneo is the sole surviving Four Rider of fame, but as I said before he'd lack a ready heir even with a son alive and is past the point of having kids anymore. Or Ike could take it as the son of the fabled Gawain, but we know he'd run into popularity issues, and isn't a fan of monarchy and nobility and all their customs on his end. Soren as his advisor could manage the kingdom, but he'd do nothing for the low favorability ratings.

When speaking to Naesala, Micaiah claimed her feelings for Sothe are the same as Naesala's feelings towards Leanne. So that's a pretty big hint. 

3 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Perhaps though I'm not sure if Nolan would be well received. Personally I love Nolan and wish he had more lines (as I do with all the DB) but.... Tauroneo would be a better option than Nolan, even with no heir, just by virtue of his military experience.

I still wish Pelleas would have kept the throne when they let him live, I think he could have grown into a very good leader and he was willing to be that leader.

Pelleas would be an Elincia clone if he stayed as a king and I like it that for once, a reigning monarch voluntarily resigns as it shows strength of character as well as selflessness. Micaiah loves to do what is best for her people and if everyone feels she makes a good ruler, it is out of character for her to refuse much like being made the commander of the Daein army even in part three where she's in a screwed up situation but chooses to persevere. 

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

When speaking to Naesala, Micaiah claimed her feelings for Sothe are the same as Naesala's feelings towards Leanne. So that's a pretty big hint.

Forgot that line until you brought it up. But yeah that line can only be interpreted one way really. Relationships can evolve too, but maybe overall the evolution wasn't made clear enough? Though at the same time, it is nice not to have it shoved in your face all the time.

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

Pelleas would be an Elincia clone if he stayed as a king and I like it that for once, a reigning monarch voluntarily resigns as it shows strength of character as well as selflessness. Micaiah loves to do what is best for her people and if everyone feels she makes a good ruler, it is out of character for her to refuse much like being made the commander of the Daein army even in part three where she's in a screwed up situation but chooses to persevere. 

I'll agree on Pelleas stepping down as not necessarily a bad thing, it might be selfish in the sense that he is abandoning duty, but selfless in realizing he isn't the most suited for the task. If by an act of nepotism or manipulation you became the leading surgeon at a hospital, and yet you were squeamish at the sight of blood, and after trying some realized you'd never overcome that fear completely, it'd be for the best of the hospital to step down.

As for Micaiah, what can be said? You can label me as overly moderate and overly willing to back and criticize both sides, and hence its a bit hard to get a feel where I stand, not even I know exactly.

So, having said Micaiah being Queen of Daein would be somewhat out of character, at the same time being selfless is very much in her character. Her self-interest would tell her not to become General of Daein, since that is a public position and as a Branded, if that truth was revealed from being in the limelight, she'd be branded a dead woman. But she does it because she loves Daein more than she loves herself. Taking on the role of Queen would be just another step like this. And who is to say as Queen she wouldn't do a bunch of public visits to slums and the common folk and listen to their grievances and whatnot? She might have royal duties to attend to, but by the same virtue, she'd have the power to do whatever she wants.

Very true. I think there should be a game about Micaiah growing as a Queen!

Actually, I'd quite like it if Radiant Dawn followed the Dawn Brigade for one part, then had part 3 happen as part 2, then part 4 happen as part 3, and had a final new part about Micaiah growing as a Queen instead of Elincia's arc. And if she had different optional paired endings as well, where the dialogue would change in part 4, for example endings with Sothe, Pelleas, Zelgius, Edward, Leonardo and Nolan. I think her pairing with Sothe would be better received if they made it not canon but optional. They could pull a time skip and show what she's like as a Queen. I think it would be more interesting than Elincia's arc and give her more time in the spotlight.

Oh and give Yune her own body in part 4 so Micaiah has more screentime. Thoughts on these changes?

I think it's not that bad of an idea. Miaciah certainly needed more focus. I get they wanted to have each lord their own turn taking center stage, but as the newcomer, she shouldn't had gotten the short end of the stick. But then, what would Micaiah be dealing with in this hypothenical new Part 4, if the others (sans orgiginal 2 unless it now happens offscreen) remain the same?

Personally, I think Micaiah was a decent character, but would have been a better character if some of her character traits weren't completely forgotten after the first part.

Gameplay-wise, I think Micaiah is semi-usable in the early game depending on the difficulty setting, but drops off heavily later on due to the game heavily favoring physical units and a low speed growth.

The new Part 4 would be about Micaiah growing into her role as Queen and how she would be accepted by the people of Daein. It would also be quite short, and more like a post game story. Part 2 would happen offscreen, yes.

These are all just random ideas I had, feel free to criticise as much as you want. But here's what would happen in my hypothetical Part 4:

The story begins with Micaiah's coronation, taking place shortly after the events of the main game. Whoever you paired her up with (either Sothe, Pelleas, Zelgius, Nolan, Edward or Leonardo, would also have a few lines, mostly the same kind of thing (similar to how there would be different lines for whoever you paired up Chrom with in Awakening, except they would get more dialogue), although a few differences, for example Pelleas/Zelgius thanking Micaiah for saving them during the events of the game (in this version of the game similar to Pelleas and Sephiran, Zelgius can be saved as well. You would be given the option to prevent Ike from killing Zelgius (Micaiah could do this by standing in between them after the fight (Ike wouldn't kill her because she hosts Yune) or by healing him like with Sephiran). I made this change partly because I ship Zelgius/Micaiah and partly because I thought Zelgius' death was very forced and it was out of character for Micaiah to just watch and not do anything). Nolan/Edward/Leonardo would say something about how far the Dawn Brigade has come and it's all thanks to her, then all the other Dawn Brigade members would become members of Micaiah's court. Finally, Sothe would also say some lines about how far the Dawn Brigade has come, but also how he would always protect Micaiah and how he'll try to stay with her for as long as he can. If Pelleas died, then Micaiah would say something about that in her speech and the Dawn Brigade members would talk briefly about the events of Part 3 and their thoughts on Pelleas, If Zelgius died, then Edward would say to Micaiah about how he intends to train more and become Daein's new Black Knight. I considered paired endings with other characters than the ones I listed, like Soren and Ike as I know those are both popular pairings, however I don't think Soren would forgive Micaiah nor want to be the King of Daein, and Ike barely had any interaction with her, and again wouldn't want to be a King. Sorry @Silver-Haired Maiden).

After Micaiah's speech and the ceremony, there would be a two year time skip. Micaiah has become a Queen loved by all who cares deeply about all the people of Daein, although her experiences during Radiant Dawn have changed her to become more aware of how the Laguz are treated. She tries her best to mend the Beorc-Laguz relations in Daein. She helps a lot with the reconstruction and often visits the slums and areas she used to stay in when she was a part of the Dawn Brigade, helping whoever she can. She also allies Daein with Crimea, Begnion and Hatari, and becomes good friends with Elincia, who helps her to grow into her role. Then one day, after a secret visit to Stefan's Branded community, she decides that she wants to reveal her brand, believing that it would make the Daein people more accepting of the branded. She talks to whoever you paired her with about this. Sothe would immediately tell her not to, and that it is a secret that she must guard as she would be persecuted if anyone found out. Leonardo, Pelleas, Nolan and Edward would all be surprised to hear she is branded, but also advise her against doing so, and Zelgius would tell her that he sensed her brand, and show his own. He would tell her how he had to stay hidden as a branded, and warn her of the consequences of showing her brand. Micaiah listens to the warning and decides against showing her brand. However a few days later Micaiah sees a branded being persecuted, and decides she has to put an end to it. By this time she is beloved by the Daein people and has been for years, so she doesn't think revealing her brand would turn people against her. She makes an official announcement and reveals her brand, much to everyone's shock. She then says that the Branded are people and that they should treat them as such, and that Beorc, Laguz and Branded are all the same, all people. And then, much to her shock, people begin to cheer. She has convinced them.

However, it isn't that simple, and a rebellion is formed against her (similar to in Elincia's arc). A group of Daein people try to sneak in to the castle at night to kill her, which begins the first chapter. You play as the Dawn Brigade and Pelleas/Zelgius if you kept them alive and you have to prevent the group from killing Micaiah. After this attempt, Micaiah discusses the events with the Dawn Brigade. Her partner criticizes her for acting rashly, but she says she had no choice and that she couldn't stand to see the branded treated like this. The next day, Micaiah decides to try and track down this group, and try to change their minds. She does this through Sothe, who is sneaky, being a thief. He gets the information that this rebellion has been organised by one of Jarod's men who was a good friend of Jarod's that still holds a grudge against her, who formed a group to try to take her down. Suddenly, an assassin from this group tries to kill Micaiah, but Stefan unexpectedly shows up, having heard about what she did. The assassin calls some more of the group, which begins the second chapter. Same characters as the first except now you can play as Stefan and Micaiah. After the battle Micaiah thanks Stefan, who says that he will stay and help her end the rebellion.

After all these failed attempts, the leader (I'm just going to call him "evil guy" because I suck at coming up with character names), evil guy, gets annoyed and decides to put an end to Micaiah quickly. He captures Sothe while Sothe is sneaking around getting information for Micaiah. Then he starts to attack the castle. He tells Micaiah and the others to drop their weapons otherwise Sothe will die. However, Micaiah, unlike Elincia does in her arc, remembering her hesitating earlier on when Sothe was being threatened, refuses and casts a blinding spell on evil guy, which begins the third map, a timed map where you have to protect the castle and fight off the rebellion before the blinding spell wears off. Once is does, evil guy proceeds to kill Sothe, which causes Micaiah to collapse in despair. Whoever you paired her with would then help her up, and if it's Sothe then she will get up by herself. Then, knowing what she must do, she quickly runs to Sothe and uses her sacrifice to heal him. She then collapses again. Sothe awakens and whoever you paired her with carries her away (Taureno if Sothe). Evil guy then chases after her, which begins chapter 4, where you have to protect Micaiah and play as Sothe and whoever you paired her with (Taureno if Sothe). Midway through Sanaki, Sigrun and Tanith show up to help. Once evil guy is defeated Micaiah thanks everyone for their help and says how pleased she is to see Sanaki again. She explains to everyone that it is her Branded powers that allowed her to heal everyone, and that the Branded should not be feared or hated. If you paired her with Zelgius he will add something to her speech about how he is also a Branded and how his powers gave him the strength he had as the Black Knight. Micaiah says realises that it will take a while for Branded to be accepted but she must make a start. The people cheer her and say they would not turn against her because they owe her so much, and her powers saved so many, such as Nico. Stefan, Sanaki, Sigrun and Tanith then leave. Micaiah thanks everyone for supporting her. The arc then ends with everyone heading back to the castle, and Sothe thanking Micaiah for saving him.

Well, that was some wall of text. Thanks so much for reading, I know this isn't very good (I'm not even a fanfiction writer, this is my first time coming up with an FE story). It's heavily inspired by Elincia's arc, although I made changes, like no Ike showing up to save her. Elincia's arc had some great ideas, although sadly it did mean that Micaiah did not get the screentime she deserved.

Not bad. But is the cast really going to be limited? Works on its own, but when paired with the othe parts, don't know it would sit well to loose around 80% of the PC's. Still, not bad.

If you want a suggestion, you could make the main bad guy to be Adler. It would be a matter of him surviving 1-9 rather than dying. I could see Micaiah still letting Jarod go except to get Adler healed instead of giving him a burial. Then like Levail, Adler just drops off quietly from the story before showing up again. Just a suggestion...

So...

I have a question for everyone that I KNOW I'm gonna regret asking but I'm doing it for examples on an assignment.

What reasons do people give for calling Micaiah a Mary Sue?

I'm doing a short speech on Mary Sues/Gary Stus for class so...

@Icelerate @Anacybele @Interdimensional Observer

Just tagging y'all because I know you can give me good examples :) I'll respond to the other stuff when I'm not on mobile.

Just now, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

So...

I have a question for everyone that I KNOW I'm gonna regret asking but I'm doing it for examples on an assignment.

Just tagging y'all because I know you can give me good examples :) I'll respond to the other stuff when I'm not on mobile.

Micaiah's a Sue? Yeah, you lost me.

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

Micaiah's a Sue? Yeah, you lost me.

I'm not saying she is.

People call her that and they have for a long time. I was just asking what reasons they had for saying so, as I personally disagree but it's for the sake of an assignment lol.

Like some cite her powers as a reason she's a Mary Sue.

1 hour ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

So...

I don't consider Micaiah a "Mary Sue" (that phase loses it meaning when thrown around so much, but that's another story) but for those how believe it. My guess is that it's the combination of the following.

• Unfailingly gentle and soft-spoken

•  Healing touch that no one else can do.

• Great tactician.

• Can read minds, see the future.

• Secret sister of Sanaki

• Secret princess of Begnion.

• Becomes queen of a country that she is not the princess of Daein because the people there love her so much.

• True speaker of a goddess Yune

• Has silver hair that everyone feels the need to point out. (In a world there multi-color is common)

• Branded

• Perfect understanding of the Ancient Language

• Always willing to sacrifice herself to save others.

Some of the accusations of her being a "Mary Sue" is by she gained more of those feats listed above rather then it being earned.  FE10's execution in her story parts didn't her matters. Hope this helps for your assignment.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

56 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

So...

I don't mean that Micaiah is a full blown Sue, just that she has too many of those traits for my liking. It makes no sense for the laguz to love her right away when she's Branded and the laguz are supposed to sense that she is since Vika could. They should be ignoring her like they did other Branded like Soren. And her special magic power and silver hair are also apparently unique. And she's highly praised and loved by all Daeins right away while Ike had to earn all the respect and praise he got. He was a nobody to start out and had to work for what he got. But Micaiah? Nope.  Also, as pointed out, she's the secret missing apostle of Begnion. This all just really rubbed me the wrong way. And then she's hijacked by Yune later. I like Yune, but Micaiah was really sabotaged at this point to where I just could not care about her.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I don't mean that Micaiah is a full blown Sue, just that she has too many of those traits for my liking. It makes no sense for the laguz to love her right away when she's Branded and the laguz are supposed to sense that she is since Vika could. They should be ignoring her like they did other Branded like Soren. And her special magic power and silver hair are also apparently unique. And she's highly praised and loved by all Daeins right away while Ike had to earn all the respect and praise he got. He was a nobody to start out and had to work for what he got. But Micaiah? Nope.  Also, as pointed out, she's the secret missing apostle of Begnion. This all just really rubbed me the wrong way. And then she's hijacked by Yune later. I like Yune, but Micaiah was really sabotaged at this point to where I just could not care about her.

You're gonna need to remind me, but how many laguz are we talking about and at what point? In the beginning with Muarim and Vika? Vika mentions something odd about Micaiah, but she couldn't discern it. Muarim did notice, but given how he is with a beorc and such, he likely has no issues with Branded at that point. Nailah, Rafiel, and Volug  were very disconnected with society, so that also doesn't work either. 

And by the time Micaiah is with other laguz, tension in the war and such really makes one not care about these things. 

It has been said that Micaiah has been helping the people of Daein the entire time from Begnion's rule, so that would give Micaiah a lot of leeway. Plus, she even saved a child's life right in front of the people of Daein as we saw. When a lot of actions have been for the benefit of Daein, people naturally respond with love. So it really doesn't feel as forced as you make it out to be.

I mean, if we nitpick a lot of these things, can we not also accuse Ike of these things?

• For some reason Ike is completely ignorant of Beorc, Laguz, and Branded, so he could not have any prejudice, which should not even make sense as one would assume that it's common knowledge, so Ike should have heard of this. 
  • Because of this lack of prejudice, he is the one that leads the army.
  • Son of Gawain, the strongest swordsman in Tellius practically. 
  • Is one of the few that can harm Black Knight and Ashnard due to how he has Ragnell. 
  • Is the one that ultimately struck Ashera down. 
  • Never had to face any real consequence whenever he makes a blunder, and gets away with just a slap on the wrist. 

I like Ike, but I cannot say that Ike escapes from his own cases of being a Stu himself. 

2 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

So...

Most of the reasons can be refuted rather easily but I guess Jingle sums it up. She's not a good example if you want to give a short speech in class. 

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Didn't I already refute these points? It's been mentioned that in Hatari, branded, beorc and laguz live peaceful lives so why would Nailah, Volug and Rafiel be hostile to Micaiah? Muarim is not prejudiced but Vika was jumpy around Micaiah due to her being branded. Those two fight for equality so it would be dumb for them to ignore her. Also, Micaiah has a much more likable personality than Soren so it doesn't take a genius to realize why she's more well liked than him. Ike's sword fighting is unique so why would you complain about Micaiah's unique powers? Micaiah literally helps the people of Daein from the get go. Ike spends most of his time escaping the country and building up an army that attacks Daein before he actually starts to liberate Crimea. Your argument is nonsensical. Are you saying secret special heritages are inherently wrong? Well Ike's the son of Greil, a guy whose power is unfathomable and Elena who can hold the medallion due to having a lot of order. Yune possessing Micaiah doesn't make Micaiah a Mary Sue. It means her screen time got shared by another character, hence she didn't remain the center of the story. Generally speaking, the story revolves around Mary Sues so a main character who loses their spotlight isn't a good example. The only character that one can argue the Tellius series revolves around the most is Ike so he's a more fitting answer. 

9 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Didn't I already refute these points? It's been mentioned that in Hatari, branded, beorc and laguz live peaceful lives so why would Nailah, Volug and Rafiel be hostile to Micaiah? Muarim is not prejudiced but Vika was jumpy around Micaiah due to her being branded. Those two fight for equality so it would be dumb for them to ignore her. Also, Micaiah has a much more likable personality than Soren so it doesn't take a genius to realize why she's more well liked than him. Ike's sword fighting is unique so why would you complain about Micaiah's unique powers? Micaiah literally helps the people of Daein from the get go. Ike spends most of his time escaping the country and building up an army that attacks Daein before he actually starts to liberate Crimea. Your argument is nonsensical. Are you saying secret special heritages are inherently wrong? Well Ike's the son of Greil, a guy whose power is unfathomable and Elena who can hold the medallion due to having a lot of order. Yune possessing Micaiah doesn't make Micaiah a Mary Sue. It means her screen time got shared by another character, hence she didn't remain the center of the story. Generally speaking, the story revolves around Mary Sues so a main character who loses their spotlight isn't a good example. The only character that one can argue the Tellius series revolves around the most is Ike so he's a more fitting answer. 

Uh, no. You never spoke to me in this thread at all as far as I remember. And nothing you say is going to change my mind. Swordfighting is not as unique as healing powers without needing staves. And Vika didn't ignore or hate Micaiah like she should have.

Ike did not inherit Elena's abilities and he was specifically taught his sword skills by his father. Micaiah seems to have just been born with all her abilities which is dumb.

And once again, I NEVER said Micaiah was a full Sue. There's a difference between being a full blown Sue and just having some Sue traits. And Ike has few Stu traits, if any, actually.

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:
  • For some reason Ike is completely ignorant of Beorc, Laguz, and Branded, so he could not have any prejudice, which should not even make sense as one would assume that it's common knowledge, so Ike should have heard of this. 
  • Because of this lack of prejudice, he is the one that leads the army.
  • Son of Gawain, the strongest swordsman in Tellius practically. 
  • Is one of the few that can harm Black Knight and Ashnard due to how he has Ragnell. 
  • Is the one that ultimately struck Ashera down. 
  • Never had to face any real consequence whenever he makes a blunder, and gets away with just a slap on the wrist. 

Ike didn't even know what a laguz was at first. It's pretty clear that Greil did not teach him much about things other than survival skills and sword skills. Greil gave up all that and Ike was raised like a normal common person, so Greil having once been a powerful general is irrelevant.

Ike struck Ashera down because he had a weapon for it and had the best chance of landing that blow effectively.

Ike did face consequences and got called out for his mistakes. He didn't get any slaps on the wrists at all and I have no idea why anyone would say that he did.

This is all I have to say and I'd like to leave it at that. My mind will not be changed, so there would be no point in arguing further.

Edited by Anacybele

22 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Uh, no. You never spoke to me in this thread at all as far as I remember. And nothing you say is going to change my mind. Swordfighting is not as unique as healing powers without needing staves. And Vika didn't ignore or hate Micaiah like she should have.

Ike did not inherit Elena's abilities and he was specifically taught his sword skills by his father. Micaiah seems to have just been born with all her abilities which is dumb.

And once again, I NEVER said Micaiah was a full Sue. There's a difference between being a full blown Sue and just having some Sue traits. And Ike has few Stu traits, if any, actually.

I didn't speak to you in this thread but I've refuted this point of yours in the past and please don't act stubborn. I refuted your argument in another thread. That sword fighting style is unique to Ike according to Stefan, so yes, it is as unique as Micaiah's powers. Why should Vika hate Micaiah? Unless you can prove it is in character for Vika in particular to hate or ignore branded, then this is an invalid claim. It would be OoC for a freedom fighter to be prejudiced. And even still, Vika got all jumpy and had to apologize for her actions because they were inappropriate. 

Every single protagonist will have some Sue traits but there is nothing inherently wrong with that.  

Edited by Icelerate

3 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

I didn't speak to you in this thread but don't play dumb and act stubborn. I refuted this horrendous argument in another thread. That sword fighting style is unique to Ike according to Stefan, so yes, it is as unique as Micaiah's powers.

No, it is not. Those sword skills came from Greil and Zelgius also has that style because Greil taught him as well. It's not unique to Ike at all, and even if it was, like I said, Micaiah's healing abilities are still even more unique.

Also, don't be so fucking rude and call people dumb.

On the subject of Micaiah's abilities, they are heritage-based. Not really different from many other FE protagonists. Like Marth, Chrom, and Lucina with Anri, or the Genealogy characters with the Crusaders, or Eliwood with Roland. Micaiah's seems unique only because Heron branded are rare. And then Lehran was just not any Heron, either. But that's just one of your standard protagonist tropes. Special bloodline due to having an ancestor who did X.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Just now, Anacybele said:

No, it is not. Those sword skills came from Greil and Zelgius also has that style because Greil taught him as well. It's not unique to Ike at all, and even if it was, like I said, Micaiah's healing abilities are still even more unique.

Also, don't be so fucking rude and call people dumb.

I edited my post to sound less condescending before you posted again. I never called you dumb, there is a difference between playing dumb and being dumb. So every single Apostle has those powers making them less unique than Ike's fighting style which is only shared by Greil and Zelgius.  

Just now, Icelerate said:

I edited my post to sound less condescending before you posted again. I never called you dumb, there is a difference between playing dumb and being dumb. So every single Apostle has those powers making them less unique than Ike's fighting style which is only shared by Greil and Zelgius.  

It was never said that every single Apostle had Micaiah's healing powers, what are you talking about?