1 hour ago, Kalken said:

Icelerate's post really shows how unneeded the twist with Micaiah being Sanaki's sister was. Even with her brand, it would have worked better if she was just a descendant of a bastard branch of Altina's lineage.

Exactly, Ashnard's dream of a world where birthright doesn't decide political power could ironically be fulfilled by Micaiah but alas it was not meant to be. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/8/2017 at 1:04 PM, ping said:

First, she stops thinking at a crucial point of the plot, i.e. when Pelleas gets blackmailed by the Begnion senate via the blood pact. In part one, she shows that she will trust her own judgement, stand up against Izuka's horrible planning and, if necessary, work without Pelleas' support (I'm thinking of the swamp chapter). In part three, she basically goes, "welp, I'll trust my king" when Pelleas' orders clearly go against Daein's interest and it's up to Sothe to pressure the reasoning out of Pelleas.

Well, Izuka and Almedha pointed out that by working against Pelleas' support, Micaiah was subverting Pelleas' own authority which would have a drastic effect on Daein's unity as a country. When Pelleas was going to give a speech, he started stuttering and Micaiah decided to intervene but the Black Knight stopped her (most likely because she'd unintentionally steal the glory) and motivated Pelleas. So Micaiah's actions in part 3 seem to be a logical progression and give her character development because she's realized that if she takes a stand against Pelleas, the country's unity will be ruined. Micaiah can sense intentions anyway and knows that what Pelleas is doing is the best for Daein even if she doesn't know the reason. She could sense he's also sad so she didn't want to make him feel even worse.  

3 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Well, Izuka and Almedha pointed out that by working against Pelleas' support, Micaiah was subverting Pelleas' own authority which would have a drastic effect on Daein's unity as a country. When Pelleas was going to give a speech, he started stuttering and Micaiah decided to intervene but the Black Knight stopped her (most likely because she'd unintentionally steal the glory) and motivated Pelleas. So Micaiah's actions in part 3 seem to be a logical progression and give her character development because she's realized that if she takes a stand against Pelleas, the country's unity will be ruined. Micaiah can sense intentions anyway and knows that what Pelleas is doing is the best for Daein even if she doesn't know the reason. She could sense he's also sad so she didn't want to make him feel even worse.  

No, I don't buy that. Micaiah might be able to sense that Pelleas' _intentions_ are good, but she does not inquire about his reasons at all, even though his orders go against about everything she believes in, and she must be aware that something is deeply wrong with the whole situation. But she decides to simply ignore that because the Drama requires that the Blood Pact can't be revealed yet. I can't see this as character development when a character completely stops thinking for herself.

So Pelleas may have been King in title but... come on, we all know Micaiah was the one the people looked up to. That's something I think could have changed and been great development. Pelleas did honestly want what was best for Daein, he just had no experience. He was beginning to develop a backbone too! But the people admired Micaiah and that's a big reason why the army ended up marching and gave the enemy as much trouble as they did. The Blood Pact is the reason Pelleas decides to mobilize the army and the men didn't mind too much because they were fighting the Laguz but the army never would have mobilized if Pelleas didn't want it and Micaiah didn't follow. Personally I think Micaiah should have bucked more than she did, but perhaps she could sense that he was doing what he thought was best and decided to follow his orders. Either way, the army wouldn't have done as well as it did without Micaiah.

1 minute ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

So Pelleas may have been King in title but... come on, we all know Micaiah was the one the people looked up to. That's something I think could have changed and been great development. Pelleas did honestly want what was best for Daein, he just had no experience. He was beginning to develop a backbone too! But the people admired Micaiah and that's a big reason why the army ended up marching and gave the enemy as much trouble as they did. The Blood Pact is the reason Pelleas decides to mobilize the army and the men didn't mind too much because they were fighting the Laguz but the army never would have mobilized if Pelleas didn't want it and Micaiah didn't follow. Personally I think Micaiah should have bucked more than she did, but perhaps she could sense that he was doing what he thought was best and decided to follow his orders. Either way, the army wouldn't have done as well as it did without Micaiah.

That was precisely what the issue that was addressed near the end of Part 1. Micaiah was becoming more popular that it just made Palleus weak. The guy even admitted that it was true, and that's why at the end, he bucked up and tried to rally the troops with his own strength, which did work. Palleus is pretty developed himself, and he was truly guilty that his inexperience caused him to make everyone suffer and would even look death in the eye if it helped save others. 

11 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

So Pelleas may have been King in title but...

This shouldn't be ignored. Micaiah doesn't WANT to be a sovereign, and wants Pelleas to grow into the role. She could have bucked, but she'd be undermining the very person she put on the throne.

Had Micaiah never questioned it, like a certain person from Fates, I could agree with the criticism, but her initial cooperation seems appropriate enough.

Edited by NekoKnight

19 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

That was precisely what the issue that was addressed near the end of Part 1. Micaiah was becoming more popular that it just made Palleus weak. The guy even admitted that it was true, and that's why at the end, he bucked up and tried to rally the troops with his own strength, which did work. Palleus is pretty developed himself, and he was truly guilty that his inexperience caused him to make everyone suffer and would even look death in the eye if it helped save others. 

8 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

This shouldn't be ignored. Micaiah doesn't WANT to be a sovereign, and wants Pelleas to grow into the role. She could have bucked, but she'd be undermining the very person she put on the throne.

Had Micaiah never questioned it, like a certain person from Fates, I could agree with the criticism, but her initial cooperation seems appropriate enough.

I really feel that Pelleas could have been a great ruler if given the chance. I would have scrapped that whole him dying thing and allowed him to be recruited in the first playthrough. Then he could have faced the issues that he caused on the throne and really given people insight into his character. Also I agree that Micaiah didn't really want to be the ruler. That's something that I would give people the option of changing, Micaiah has always preferred helping the people by being among them. Let Pelleas grow into his role as a leader and let Micaiah grow into her role as his advisor and the one who really helps people. They both deserve some happiness darn it!

1 hour ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I really feel that Pelleas could have been a great ruler if given the chance. I would have scrapped that whole him dying thing and allowed him to be recruited in the first playthrough. Then he could have faced the issues that he caused on the throne and really given people insight into his character. Also I agree that Micaiah didn't really want to be the ruler. That's something that I would give people the option of changing, Micaiah has always preferred helping the people by being among them. Let Pelleas grow into his role as a leader and let Micaiah grow into her role as his advisor and the one who really helps people. They both deserve some happiness darn it!

I really wish that we ever even NEEDED to run three playthroughs here. Radiant Dawn is hard enough already, but demanding three playthroughs is just asking for it. 

On 11/15/2017 at 2:15 PM, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Well, I think Pelleas is a strong character due to the fact he's willing to give up power despite no one forcing him to. Most people when they get political power won't want to give it up even if they are incompetent so I respect Pelleas a whole lot for admitting he isn't the best option. I think Micaiah would make a good queen. I'm of the opinion that a good ruler is one who doesn't want power yet people want them to rule. 

No, I don't buy that. Micaiah might be able to sense that Pelleas' _intentions_ are good, but she does not inquire about his reasons at all, even though his orders go against about everything she believes in, and she must be aware that something is deeply wrong with the whole situation. But she decides to simply ignore that because the Drama requires that the Blood Pact can't be revealed yet. I can't see this as character development when a character completely stops thinking for herself.

Dude was pretty depressed so I'm assuming Micaiah did not want to bother him further especially when Almedha, who'd also get pissed, was right there and wanted Micaiah to submit. Micaiah is extremely lawful which means willing to submit to authority even if she doesn't like it. This makes her a nice contrast to Ike who's more chaotic in nature and willing to trash talk authority. Anyway, she does try to get Tauroneo to convince Pelleas to withdraw from the war but that didn't work. Part 3 is where Micaiah has to think a lot and make the best worst decision out of many bad decisions so saying she stops thinking is quite odd. Though I can agree with you that questioning authority against an unjust war is the preferable option. Regardless, the scene shifted after Pelleas gave her the order so it remains somewhat ambiguous. 

On 11/16/2017 at 11:42 AM, omegaxis1 said:

I really wish that we ever even NEEDED to run three playthroughs here. Radiant Dawn is hard enough already, but demanding three playthroughs is just asking for it. 

Oh I definitely don't think stuff should be locked behind a second playthrough. That's why Pelleas should be recruitable in the first playthrough and not... you know... die.

On 11/18/2017 at 1:59 AM, Icelerate said:

Well, I think Pelleas is a strong character due to the fact he's willing to give up power despite no one forcing him to. Most people when they get political power won't want to give it up even if they are incompetent so I respect Pelleas a whole lot for admitting he isn't the best option. I think Micaiah would make a good queen. I'm of the opinion that a good ruler is one who doesn't want power yet people want them to rule. 

Dude was pretty depressed so I'm assuming Micaiah did not want to bother him further especially when Almedha, who'd also get pissed, was right there and wanted Micaiah to submit. Micaiah is extremely lawful which means willing to submit to authority even if she doesn't like it. This makes her a nice contrast to Ike who's more chaotic in nature and willing to trash talk authority. Anyway, she does try to get Tauroneo to convince Pelleas to withdraw from the war but that didn't work. Part 3 is where Micaiah has to think a lot and make the best worst decision out of many bad decisions so saying she stops thinking is quite odd. Though I can agree with you that questioning authority against an unjust war is the preferable option. Regardless, the scene shifted after Pelleas gave her the order so it remains somewhat ambiguous. 

I actually really like Pelleas. It's interesting to see a ruler grow into his role of leading the people and being forced to be stronger. I think Micaiah would be a great ruler, it's just a matter of.... would she really want to? She always seemed more the type to want to help from among the people, it's why she made such an effective general of the army. She was there fighting with everyone else (which Pelleas points out as why the people look to her more than him).

Anyway there are many reasons why Micaiah did as she did in Part 3 and I doubt she didn't bring up doubts to Pelleas about this war but that definitely should have been shown. Almedha is another can of worms entirely... but she will buck authority if that authority is dead wrong (IE Begnion) so... I don't know, I feel that would have been better if it had shown her confronting Pelleas.

21 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Oh I definitely don't think stuff should be locked behind a second playthrough. That's why Pelleas should be recruitable in the first playthrough and not... you know... die.

There shouldn't be ANYTHING locked behind multiple playthroughs. That only worked somewhat on Fates, and that's only cause each path leads to a much more dramatic change in the story. But everyone agrees that you feel really burned out after playing through the routes.

22 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I actually really like Pelleas. It's interesting to see a ruler grow into his role of leading the people and being forced to be stronger. I think Micaiah would be a great ruler, it's just a matter of.... would she really want to? She always seemed more the type to want to help from among the people, it's why she made such an effective general of the army. She was there fighting with everyone else (which Pelleas points out as why the people look to her more than him).

True, but you have to remember that Palleas caused suffering for Daein because of his carelessness as leader. This in turn might have been his signal that he never should have been leader in the first place. In fact, Palleas even tried to think that dying would solve everything. Courageous sure, but some could even see this as a cowardly move to run away. Micaiah was willing to endure scorn from others and be seen as a monster for the sake of protecting the nation she loved. To Palleas, who sees himself as a weak man that failed his nation, he found MIcaiah to be the powerful and courageous leader that Daein needed and deserved. 

When I first played the game I thought she was trash because I never did anything with her. But I tried using her and she's actually very and very helpful with Thani near the beginning of the game. Her HP is the worst thing imo, so I always give her the three Seraph Robes. One for every class she is in. She still usually becomes a bit useless near the end of the game for me, she switches to a healer which isn't really needed. Her personality is really awesome as well as her design, I preferred her Light Mage look the best. Yune using her body was pretty annoying though. I also feel like in a lot of ways she was based off of Jesus, at least near the beginning of the game.

2 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Anyway there are many reasons why Micaiah did as she did in Part 3 and I doubt she didn't bring up doubts to Pelleas about this war but that definitely should have been shown. Almedha is another can of worms entirely... but she will buck authority if that authority is dead wrong (IE Begnion) so... I don't know, I feel that would have been better if it had shown her confronting Pelleas.

She did have some doubts about being thrust into authority but slowly grew to accept it. Eventually, she became a committed general to Daein so I think it is the natural progression of her character to accept her role as Queen. 

Yeah, it should have been shown and not cut out for dramatic tension. It getting cut doesn't ruin Micaiah's character though. When Micaiah refused to follow that Begnion inspector was a pretty good moment because she was able to stand up to the lunatic and refuse his request while still retaining composure. 

On 11/11/2017 at 1:44 PM, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Oh gosh I went to bed and it blew up xD

I'm glad people seem to have so much to say about Micaiah!

Someone did make the comment that I don't like Soren and that's true, I won't try to hide that, but they made a good point about the hypocrisy of his methods being fine as opposed to Micaiah's. It seems to me like the male characters get passes on their actions far easier than the females do (again, Alm and Celica, Erika and Ephraim, etc) and... Ike is a paragon. He's morally 'good' and despite being blunt people are drawn to him. In RD he's meant to be a catalyst for other character's development more than his own. Which would be great if he had..... any development at all.

If a character is badass (usually a male character), then they are likely to get more fans and fewer haters even if they do actions far more despicable than Micaiah's whose actions are relatively benign all things considered. 

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

If a character is badass (usually a male character), then they are likely to get more fans and fewer haters even if they do actions far more despicable than Micaiah's whose actions are relatively benign all things considered. 

You mean like Ephraim?

17 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

You mean like Ephraim?

No, I mean more like Naesala and incoming Naruto spoilers

Spoiler

Itachi. 

Pretty sure doing genocide and betraying one's comrades for the sake of one's country is far worse than killing thousands of armed invading soldiers in a good army. Though I don't see fans hating those two characters. 

Just now, Icelerate said:

No, I mean more like Naesala and incoming Naruto spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Itachi. 

Pretty sure doing genocide and betraying one's comrades for the sake of one's country is far worse than killing thousands of armed invading soldiers in a good army. Though I don't see fans hating those two characters. 

Oh, I certainly just hate Ephraim. And he is horrible. 

Also:

Wasn't Itachi trying to PREVENT a greater disaster from happening? If he didn't stop this, a civil war would break out, then other nations would attack, and they'd have Ninja World War IV? So it wasn't strictly for the sake of one nation, but all nations. 

And technically speaking, Naesala did literally what Micaiah did in a sense. Daein wasn't being invaded in Radiant Dawn. Daein joined the war because it was forced to, so they weren't fight off any invaders from their home. And Naesala gets plenty of hate because he did cause a lot of problems. 

Micaiah, she is one of my favorite female lord because her problem with moral and her loyalty for Daein above anything else, how she will do anything even if it's bad to protect what she believes in, also I love her design. But I have a few issues with her, aside that IS don't know how to write a female protagonist, they don't even if I like Celica and Lyn, I don't have much problem with her stats, she is pretty good... Not like Chrom, he is trash, the only lord that I find bad stat wise.

First of all is Sothe, Sothe is just a problem, is not 100% about Micaiah but their interaction relationship. He is just a PAIN IN THE ASS, in the start I was fine, but he just become a pain in part 3 & 4, he is just so anoying, I just wanted to him to shut up and disappear, Nolan must take his story rol in part, he was DB lider, why he don't get any spotlight? Also, I don't have a problem with the "wife husbandry" topic, I like it in fact, but they insisted so much that they were only like siblings... No, is just disgusting. RD just make me dislike Sothe a lot.

Second is Ike stealing her spotlight, I love Ike like a lot of people out there, one of my favorite male lord along Hector, but he and Yune putting Micaiah in the background damaged her a lot, as much as Echoes turning Celica in a damisele in distress. That sucked.

Third, her backstory, I mean, why she is so loyal to Daein? How was her life before meeting Sothe and before Dawn Brigade? I feel that they lefted a lot about Micaiah outside, Ike get a lot of backstory, and even secondary characters as Jill or the three brothers get their well fleshed backstory that covered and explained a lot their motives and all, but I feel we don't know much about our own protagonist, but probably is fault of the lack of supports. But she is our protagonist and beside the apostole thing, we don't know that much about her past and I wish we could know.

8 hours ago, Icelerate said:

No, I mean more like Naesala

I like PoR Naesala for being greyish! I wouldn't hug him ever, like Shinon. Nor would I recommend befriending him unless you need some pork fat and have a failproof way of killing a hog at a moment's notice. 

Because Naesala is in a video game, I can like him having a vile side balanced with a good one. In reality, I would call for his immediate capture and life imprisonment, but in a fictional harmless world, and FE casts are most often goodie goods and pure evil evils, having a person of mixed character is refreshing.

8 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

And technically speaking, Naesala did literally what Micaiah did in a sense. Daein wasn't being invaded in Radiant Dawn. Daein joined the war because it was forced to, so they weren't fight off any invaders from their home. And Naesala gets plenty of hate because he did cause a lot of problems. 

Naesala gets plenty of hate from Tibarn, Skrimir ,Ulki and Janaff, but they aren't the FE fanbase. I've never seen a "I dislike/hate Naesala" topic or rant like some do for Takumi or Soren. If there are people who loathe Naesala, they haven't made themselves visible and vocal lately.

Also, Micaiah and Daein had openly sided with the Senate beforehand when Sanaki was passing through Daein. Kilvas feigned loyalty to the Laguz Alliance and the truth wasn't revealed until it was too late.

8 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

I used to like him, thinking him a well-trained young soldier who likes battle, but with military wisdom. 

And then I saw this:

Spoiler

Kyle:
“We’ve secured the entire castle. You were brilliant, Prince Ephraim! What a plan! What a battle!”

Ephraim:
“I estimate at least half of the enemy troops are in the field. We took the castle, but we don’t have the manpower to hold it in a siege. There’s no point in lingering here. Let’s continue on to Grado Keep.

I'm sorry, but that is just plain aggressive stupidity. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

20 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Also:

I don't care for Ephraim but I don't hate any lords. Don't really want to discuss his character in this thread though especially when it is off topic and I'm not that experienced with Sacred Stones. 

If country A wants to invade country B but has to pass through country C. If country C refuses to let country A use its territory to attack country B, yet country A persists, that to me is an invasion of country C by country A. 

I was talking about the FE fanbase, not the characters in the game but as Interdimensional Observer explained, Naesala's act is worse. 

As for Naruto spoilers:

Spoiler

Yeah, I forgot about the whole world war part so I guess that makes Itachi's actions somewhat different. Though they are similar enough to make my point to some extent. I mean Micaiah was going to sacrifice the Apostle's Army but couldn't sacrifice Sothe. Itachi was sacrificing his entire clan but couldn't sacrifice Sasuke.  When it comes to Micaiah's action, the purpose wasn't so that Begnion can eventually retake all of Tellius, it was just a stalling tactic until they found a way to break the blood pact and between sacrificing thousands of soldiers VS sacrificing the entire country of Daein, the choice is pretty obvious. 

On 11/22/2017 at 2:38 AM, Icelerate said:

I don't care for Ephraim but I don't hate any lords. Don't really want to discuss his character in this thread though especially when it is off topic and I'm not that experienced with Sacred Stones. 

If country A wants to invade country B but has to pass through country C. If country C refuses to let country A use its territory to attack country B, yet country A persists, that to me is an invasion of country C by country A. 

I was talking about the FE fanbase, not the characters in the game but as Interdimensional Observer explained, Naesala's act is worse. 

As for Naruto spoilers:

Hide contents

Yeah, I forgot about the whole world war part so I guess that makes Itachi's actions somewhat different. Though they are similar enough to make my point to some extent. I mean Micaiah was going to sacrifice the Apostle's Army but couldn't sacrifice Sothe. Itachi was sacrificing his entire clan but couldn't sacrifice Sasuke.  When it comes to Micaiah's action, the purpose wasn't so that Begnion can eventually retake all of Tellius, it was just a stalling tactic until they found a way to break the blood pact and between sacrificing thousands of soldiers VS sacrificing the entire country of Daein, the choice is pretty obvious. 

Spoiler

Sorry for off-topic but even knowing his intentions, Itachi was a terrible person. He royally fucks up his younger brother with only "it will make stronger later and hopefully not a hate-filled psychopath". He's worse than Corrin for "shit I did for the greater good" and you know how disliked Corrin is (among people who care about the story).

On 11/26/2017 at 7:42 PM, NekoKnight said:
  Hide contents

Sorry for off-topic but even knowing his intentions, Itachi was a terrible person. He royally fucks up his younger brother with only "it will make stronger later and hopefully not a hate-filled psychopath". He's worse than Corrin for "shit I did for the greater good" and you know how disliked Corrin is (among people who care about the story).

Spoiler

Well I haven't actually played Fates though I don't care about Fates spoilers especially since it is pretty much a unanimous opinion that Fates has the worst story in FE. So I can't talk about who is worse. Though my point was that Micaiah would be a lot more popular as a morally grey character if she was what you would call badass like Itachi. Of course I don't have any solid proof of this but its kind of a fact that the more badass you are, the more popular you are. Itachi's a lot more like Alm's father Rudolf now that I think about but Rudolf is not known for his popularity. I guess the fandom has a bias against old men.  

3 hours ago, Icelerate said:
  Hide contents

Well I haven't actually played Fates though I don't care about Fates spoilers especially since it is pretty much a unanimous opinion that Fates has the worst story in FE. So I can't talk about who is worse. Though my point was that Micaiah would be a lot more popular as a morally grey character if she was what you would call badass like Itachi. Of course I don't have any solid proof of this but its kind of a fact that the more badass you are, the more popular you are. Itachi's a lot more like Alm's father Rudolf now that I think about but Rudolf is not known for his popularity. I guess the fandom has a bias against old men.  

Morally grey characters or villains  probably need to be badass regardless of their gender to be appreciated. Corrin is potentially male, but as he spends most of Conquest (the only route with something that could be considered close to morally grey) letting people walk all over him, he isn't well liked. Micaiah is similar (but better written) to Corrin, so they fall into the same "not badass enough for players to ignore their flaws" rut. Rudolf is just...confusing. It's clear he's supposed to be sympathetic, but his motivations are so bizarre, that most players probably just went "Huh?" and ignored him, for better or for worse.

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2017 at 2:07 PM, omegaxis1 said:

LOL XD Well, its because we can all see the lost potential of Micaiah. She was done really poorly and we want to believe she'll do better if she gets the chance to have a remake.

Her horrible tactics are looked down because two things: 

1) Drugging and attacking supply units is one thing, dowsing enemies in oil and lighting them on fire is... well, pretty graphic. It is a legit tactic and Robin also employed a similar tactic to defeat the larger enemies, but still, players really don't want to truly think deeply on the concept of enemies being immolated.

2) Said enemies that are about to immolated is none other than characters we know and/or like. We don't really criticize Robin's tactic or blowing enemy ships up like he did because we didn't know the Valmese that much. And those guys were in the wrong. However, Elincia and her group were in the right, so Micaiah aiming her attacks on them... well, it just kind of makes it hard for the viewer to like Micaiah when she's about to burn other charatcers to death the way she was about to. We wouldn't really care if she was gonna do this to Izuka or Lekain, and we'd actually cheer for that, cause those two deserve to die horrible deaths. But Sanaki and the others... well... yeah no. 

But you know, it would have been something else if Elincia was in Micaiah's shoes. Fight against the laguz alliance and Ike or have her country die a slow, unavoidable death. We would have felt so much more sympathy if that were the case.

Laws of war are applied equally between two parties at war. You don't get to claim the moral high ground just because you deem yourself to be good. So if Micaiah were going to burn Izuka/Lekain VS Sanaki/Sigrun, it really doesn't change the difference when it comes to the tactic that was applied. Now this would change if this was a court sentencing because Izuka/Lekain are criminals but Sanaki/Sigrun are not. Though in a war, you don't start treating the enemy soldiers worse just because they are fighting on the "wrong" side. 

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

Laws of war are applied equally between two parties at war. You don't get to claim the moral high ground just because you deem yourself to be good. So if Micaiah were going to burn Izuka/Lekain VS Sanaki/Sigrun, it really doesn't change the difference when it comes to the tactic that was applied. Now this would change if this was a court sentencing because Izuka/Lekain are criminals but Sanaki/Sigrun are not. Though in a war, you don't start treating the enemy soldiers worse just because they are fighting on the "wrong" side. 

I'm talking about from the player's perspective, though.