I hope this game is influenced a lot by FE Heroes

Espinosa

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got into Fire Emblem through Heroes, so when I got Awakening I was shocked by how different it was.  The movement distances are much bigger in Awakening.  I was a little overwhelmed by how many units I had under my control, which means much longer turns.  Skills are much less relevent than in Heroes, and I often don't pay much attention to them in Awakening among the other factors.

But the "tightness" of FE Heroes made it more chess-like.  Perhaps a compromise would be nice, with movement distances being somewhere in-between (but closer to Awakening); 3 for armored, 4 for standard foot units, and I can't decide if mounted units should have 5 or 6. 

I like it if RNG makes subtle differences that slightly alter your plans, but can feel cheap if it's effect is too massive.  I think that crits should cause 1.5× damage rather than 3×, but they can compensate by making crits more common.  This way, it's possible to keep your units safe even in the case of enemy crits.  It makes subtle changes in your plans, such as using one unit do defeat an enemy rather than two.  On the occasion when I get an enemy crit in Awakening, it's often instant character death, which feels rather cheap.  Also, when the hit rate is 100%, the excess unit stats should increase the crit rate.

Alternatively, they can get rid of crits, and instead have a continuous damage range for weapons.  A standard deviation in damage would be ±20%.

For the charge-up system, I suppose they could try that.  However, special attacks that use this should be willingly activated (once sufficiently charged), so that you can save the special attack for the next turn if you only need a regular attack this turn.

Nah, I like complexity in Fire Emblem games. They keep making the games more and more simple imo. I want them to go back to what they used to do, these games become easier and easier I swear. I guess I shouldn't complain considering there are harder modes though.

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:20 AM, MyBoyHector said:

The only things I'd like to see from FEH to make it over into the Switch game are No Pair Up and all the characters, as Extra units not related to the game like in Awakening and Fates.

While Pair up is not a bad at all (Don't get me wrong, the way they improved it was great in fates, even if everything else about fates was bad lol), Its just pairing up takes a character out of the game because they are being a shield, I sort of want it to go back to one character fighting an enemy alone type again

You do realize that Pair Up is an optional mechanic, right? So if you don't like it, don't use it.

As for Heroes, I hope it doesn't influence FE16 at all.

On 5/31/2018 at 10:03 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

You do realize that Pair Up is an optional mechanic, right? So if you don't like it, don't use it.

That's like saying that skills are an optional mechanic or fliers are an optional mechanic, in real life legs are an optional mechanic, sure it is designed around using them and you severely hinder yourself if you by choice you decide to go without, but hey guys, it's an optional mechanic you can get to the end without, did you know that in breath of the wild climbing is an optional mechanic? sure it is one of the most painfully tedious experiences without, but it is doable.  he is more likely referring to the dual system as a whole, and regardless of personal opinion to claim that you can ignore the system is to ignore the fact that the game is still designed around it and dual attacks are incredibly intrusive, you can't turn them off.

On 5/31/2018 at 10:03 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

Pair Up/The whole Dual Attack/Guard system  is not optional at all. In Fates, enemies use it and you can't turn that off. Simply standing next to your allies makes them dual attack and that can't be turned off, that part applies to Awakening too. Not to mention, their are no gameplay downsides to using them (other than reducing the amount of fun if you don't like them.) Not using them is just handicapping yourself for no reason, because the game's balancing was intended for you to use them. If you think "counter" in Smash Brothers is bad and shouldn't exist, sure you can opt to not use those characters that have it or not use that attack when you do use them, but that doesn't do anything to stop other players from using them against you. In other words, it's integrated into the gameplay and it can't be turned off; therefore, it isn't optional.