Early Promoting Guy and Lowen (HHM)

Icelerate

In the pirate chapter 17x, there is a huge concentration of high-level units so you want as many strong units as you can bring so that you can take them out before the killer weaponry and mages become a threat. For this reason, I promoted lvl 10 Lowen and lvl 10 Guy. 

Do you believe this was a wise choice or will it cripple my long-term capability? 

I plan to use Lowen, Guy, Raven and Marcus for the upcoming chapters because they are strong enough to hold their own and take out enemies with relative ease. I would like to train Kent, Sain and Florina but can't spare slots for them. Right now those three units are subpar but do you think they are worth investing in and benching one of my stronger units? 

In chapter 17x you can avoid the level 17 units by not going towards the center of the map. They don't move unless you get in their range. It's not going to hurt you too much to promote those units early though. Raven is probably a better choice for early promotion than Guy since his promotion bonuses are much better, but you can get another Hero Crest fairly soon anyway.

I would like to train Kent, Sain and Florina but can't spare slots for them.

Why can't you spare slots for some of them? It's fairly easy to use a few of them to take on stragglers or reinforcements in most maps while Marcus and another unit or two do the heavy lifting. You don't need them to be sure; there are enough good prepromotes anyway, but having a trained flier and another cavalier/paladin can help.

20 minutes ago, samthedigital said:

In chapter 17x you can avoid the level 17 units by not going towards the center of the map. They don't move unless you get in their range. It's not going to hurt you too much to promote those units early though. Raven is probably a better choice for early promotion than Guy since his promotion bonuses are much better, but you can get another Hero Crest fairly soon anyway.

Why can't you spare slots for some of them? It's fairly easy to use a few of them to take on stragglers or reinforcements in most maps while Marcus and another unit or two do the heavy lifting. You don't need them to be sure; there are enough good prepromotes anyway, but having a trained flier and another cavalier/paladin can help.

Well, I like to take save all the villages and rout the enemy. I could have easily used Florina to talk with Fargus but that would be no fun. 

Raven was too low of a level and I think he's a great candidate for endgame so it is worth maximizing his stats whereas Lowen and Guy will eventually be benched most likely. 

The boat map only gives you seven slots IIRC. I needed those four, Oswin, Mathew and a healer. Kent, Sain and Florina are too fragile at this point and this map throws a large number of enemies so it is hard to fend them off. 

Edited by Icelerate

Well, I like to take save all the villages and rout the enemy. 

You could have also lured the stronger enemies later and cleared the map that way if you didn't have units strong enough to take them on.

Raven was too low of a level and I think he's a great candidate for endgame so it is worth maximizing his stats whereas Lowen and Guy will eventually be benched most likely.

Raven can still be useful throughout the game with early promotion. He really doesn't lose all that much and Harken is fairly similar anyway.

The boat map only gives you seven slots IIRC. I needed those four, Oswin, Mathew and a healer. Kent, Sain and Florina are too fragile at this point and this map throws a large number of enemies so it is hard to fend them off.

That's just one map.

Edited by samthedigital

What comes immediately to my mind is that promoting Guy early means less experience for your Hero Crest users, meaning that you'll be that much more likely to get Kenneth's version of Pale Flower of Darkness than Jerme's.

Depending on which version of Pale Flower of Darkness you're aiming for, that could be either a good thing or a bad thing.

Edited by Paper Jam

13 minutes ago, Paper Jam said:

What comes immediately to my mind is that promoting Guy early means less experience for your Hero Crest users, meaning that you'll be that much more likely to get Kenneth's version of Pale Flower of Darkness than Jerme's.

Depending on which version of Pale Flower of Darkness you're aiming for, that could be either a good thing or a bad thing.

Well, Kenneth's map is more interesting to play on but Jerme's gives a runesword or a light brand IIRC which I'd like. 

8 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Well, Kenneth's map is more interesting to play on but Jerme's gives a runesword or a light brand IIRC which I'd like. 

Also has the easy access bolting tome right in the middle of the map. IT just has has sOoOoO much snow