Question about pre-purchasing games on the Switch.

Armagon

So in the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct, it was announced that for players going into the game digitally, the game was now available for pre-purchase on the eShop. Now, i already have my pre-order for the game paid-off but seeing as how the Switch is basically perfect for going digital, i was thinking about refunding my pre-order, buying eShop cards, and using them to pre-purchase XC2 on the Switch digitally. Here's my question: if i were to pre-purchase XC2, would it download directly to my SD card? I know the Switch uses system memory for your save files but the actual software goes into either the system memory or SD card, but they can't be transferred to the other. I don't have any games on my SD card (since i just got one) so i don't really know how it works in this case.

My main worry is buying the eShop cards and pre-purchasing XC2 only for it to not be able to go into my SD card and thus, i'd be forced to delete some of my games. I just want to know if pre-purchasing a game sends it to the SD card or not.

if you have a SD card inside the switch it automatically downloads it there for you immediately by default.  If you don't have it then it installs into the system memory.

If the game is installed into system memory but you want to transfer you can do so by just deleting it and redownload it.

https://www.imore.com/how-transfer-nintendo-switch-games-microsd-card

53 minutes ago, kingddd said:

if you have a SD card inside the switch it automatically downloads it there for you immediately by default.  If you don't have it then it installs into the system memory.

If the game is installed into system memory but you want to transfer you can do so by just deleting it and redownload it.

https://www.imore.com/how-transfer-nintendo-switch-games-microsd-card

Thanks for the info. Looks like i'll be getting XC2 digitally after all.

41 minutes ago, Lord Chrom of Ylisse said:

How is the Switch perfect for going digital? How is a digital copy better than a hard copy?

Consider the Switch's portability. It would make a lot more sense to have the digital copies when you go out and about if you play undocked more often, as you are able to carry less cartridges.

11 minutes ago, Dai said:

Consider the Switch's portability. It would make a lot more sense to have the digital copies when you go out and about if you play undocked more often, as you are able to carry less cartridges.

Oh, I see. Makes sense. I personally prefer hard copies due to collectiblity and longevity but not everyone cares about those things.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

So in the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct, it was announced that for players going into the game digitally, the game was now available for pre-purchase on the eShop. Now, i already have my pre-order for the game paid-off but seeing as how the Switch is basically perfect for going digital, i was thinking about refunding my pre-order, buying eShop cards, and using them to pre-purchase XC2 on the Switch digitally.

lols in 32 GB

18 hours ago, Gebby said:

lols in 32 GB

I mean you can upgrade the storage with Micro SDs, they aren't that expensive if you go for 128GB. Still not entirely ideal for digital only, but it's an option.