Super Smash Bros. Questionnaire

Zapp Branniglenn

Bonus Poll: What's the best character reveal trailer?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Bonus Poll: What's the best character reveal trailer?

• Metaknight, Pit, ZSS, Wario, and Snake (Brawl's E3 2006 reveal)
    • Sonic (Brawl)
    • Villager (Smash 4's E3 2013 reveal)
    • Mega Man
    • Wii Fit Trainer
    • Sonic (Smash 4)
    • Rosalina & Luma
    • Little Mac
    • Charizard + Greninja
    • Palutena
    • Pac-Man
    • Lucina + Robin
    • Shulk
    • Bowser Jr + Koopalings
    • Duck Hunt Dog
    • Mewtwo
    • Lucas
    • Roy
    • Ryu
    • Cloud
    • Corrin
    • Bayonetta

Since it feels like we're a ways out from any potential Smash-related news, how about a fun questionnaire to re-affirm how we feel about this series? Because once the next Smash gets announced, we'll all be too hype and crazy to think straight.

1. What games in this series have you played?
  2. Who do you main?
  3. Do you have a favorite game from a casual perspective?
  4. Do you have a favorite game from a competitive perspective?
  5. Which of the Smash Bros. games do you think has the best balance in character roster?
  6. Are there any veteran characters not in Smash 4 (or its DLC) that you think deserve to be in Smash again?
  7. If you could pick another guest character from Capcom, Sega, or Bandai Namco, who would it be?
  8. If you could pick a guest character from Ubisoft franchises to put in Smash, who would it be?
  9. If you could pick a guest character from Konami franchises to put in Smash, who would it be?
  10. Would you object to a Microsoft-owned character appearing in Smash? Even if it was Master Chief?
  11. Which Nintendo franchise(s) deserves more character representation? Use Smash 4's roster as a basis.
  12. Is Smash Bros. ideally more of a celebration of Nintendo, or a celebration of video games in general?
  13. Are there any franchises you think could represent a great stage, but not so much a playable character?
  14. If it was up to you, would you spend time and resources making new clone characters at all in a Smash game?
  15. Which Smash Bros. game do you think handled unlocking characters the best?
  16. Do you worry Smash Bros. character rosters are getting too big?
  17. Do you think custom moves should return? And if so, should they have to be unlocked?
  18. Do you think either stickers or stat boosting equipment should return?
  19. Is Jigglypuff the Dan of Smash Bros? (gag character that's intentionally designed to be sub par)
  20. Should Sakurai always be the director of every Smash Bros. game, or should he be distanced from the franchise moving forward?
  21. Do you have a positive opinion at all about Smash Tour?
  22. Have you ever entered a competitive smash bros. tournament (including ones held online)? Did you place well?
  23. How would you change/expand on the idea of Omega Form stages as a way to toggle a competitive version of each stage?
  24. Do you want to see another Adventure Mode akin to Subspace Emissary in a future Smash bros. game?
  25. Altogether, if you purchase it all for just one system, DLC for Smash 4 exceeds the price of the base game. And even more if you want the content on both Wii U and 3DS. Are the DLC price points too high?
  26. Did you think the Smash Ballot was cool and/or well executed? 
  27. How do you feel about Smash Bros. having non canon character design like Luigi not being able to wall jump, Robin using Nosferatu, or Ness/Lucas being able to use special attacks that they'll never learn?
  28. Do you think Smash Bros. should support community-made aesthetic mods like character skins in some way, or otherwise be okay with their unofficial distribution?
  29. Follow-up: what about non aesthetic mods in which players re-balance the game and add their own characters? As of now, Twitch officially bans such games (like Project M) and it's implied Nintendo would be obligated to shut down the distribution of such mods to not only protect their own IP, but the IP of the dozens of other companies involved with Smash Bros.
  30. And finally, would you prefer a Smash Bros. game with a similar model to Overwatch? You would buy the base game and get immediate access to new characters and modes, but must earn or purchase loot boxes to obtain mountains of aesthetics. The game would also presumably have seasonal events and be updated across several years.

Here are my answers. Spoilered because over-long OPs are bleh.

Spoiler
  1. What games in this series have you played? All of them
  2. Who do you main? Bowser in Smash 4. Roy and Zero Suit Samus in Project M. Mewtwo and Roy in Melee.
  3. Do you have a favorite game from a casual perspective? Smash 64.
  4. Do you have a favorite game from a competitive perspective? Project M, but among official games, Melee
  5. Which of the Smash Bros. games do you think has the best balance in character roster? Smash 4. Every game will have those few characters that dominate, but only Smash 4 has that ocean of mid tiers that dedicated players can win regionals with. And the sheer volume of characters makes it incredibly difficult to be proficient in every matchup, resulting in upsets which we love to see.
  6. Are there any veteran characters not in Smash 4 (or its DLC) that you think deserve to be in Smash again? Nah. I wouldn't mind seeing Ice Climbers return but I don't think they've earned their spot. The two characters in one concept could be redone with a new character. Solid Snake definitely has that sort of iconic status that makes you want to consider him, but he's not on the same level as Mega Man or Pac-Man.
  7. If you could pick another guest character from Capcom, Sega, or Bandai Namco, who would it be? Heihachi Mishima from Tekken
  8. If you could pick a guest character from Ubisoft franchises to put in Smash, who would it be? Normally Rayman. But a Source Gaming podcast had a cute idea where you can have a Rabbid that mimics the appearance and attacks of characters from multiple Ubisoft franchises like Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, etc. Plus Mario + Rabbids showed me that Rabbids can actually be charming and funny, so I'd go with that.
  9. If you could pick a guest character from Konami franchises to put in Smash, who would it be? Bomberman
  10. Would you object to a Microsoft-owned character appearing in Smash? Even if it was Master Chief? I actually would love to see Master Chief in Smash. From what I'm hearing of the latest Halo, Master Chief may not be an icon of gaming for much longer.
  11. Which Nintendo franchise(s) deserves more character representation? Use Smash 4's roster as a basis. Definitely Zelda. They can start by re-working Ganon. Maybe even have classic pig Ganon with his trident. I think it's a bit late to add Vaati or Ghirahim, but I certainly wanted the latter in Smash 4. As for a Breath of the Wild rep, it's hard to pick just one of the champions. All I can really say is I'd bet Sidon would have a pretty incredible fan response.
  12. Is Smash Bros. ideally more of a celebration of Nintendo, or a celebration of video games in general? I prefer to think of it as the latter. I love guest characters. They're weird and interesting in ways you'd never get from picks like Dixie Kong or Ridley. I also don't buy the argument that Nintendo is throwing away potential promotion of their products when they make guest characters. A game like Smash Bros. lives or dies by what games are being represented. If I lived in a bizarro universe where I didn't play Smash, but heard Mega Man was in the game, instant purchase.
  13. Are there any franchises you think could represent a great stage, but not so much a playable character? Castlevania. Because it's hard to pick out just one Castlevania protagonist, but I really want to fight in Dracula's Castle.
  14. If it was up to you, would you spend time and resources making new clone characters at all in a Smash game? Yes, but I would instead divert resources purely to making the aesthetic skin and new voice clips, which I realize is the vast majority of the work in making a clone character. My clones would be toggleable like any other skin. but you wouldn't have to play as them for the sake of completion. Also, to be honest, I would make a lot of these "clone skins" since I love being able to represent more characters without having to pay attention to how to balance them against their original or other characters.
  15. Which Smash Bros. game do you think handled unlocking characters the best? Brawl. 100% of characters can be unlocked through one mode, Subspace Emissary, which I adored. And if you didn't like SSE, you could unlock everybody through other means.
  16. Do you worry Smash Bros. character rosters are getting too big? Yes, though I'll admit it hasn't happened yet. I'm afraid because I'm worried about how impossible such a game becomes to balance, as well as some characters falling by the wayside because they're not getting any attention. Smash 4's roster is made up of carefully designed characters, with only Dedede and Ganondorf that I feel are in major need of attention. And of course the DLC characters are incredibly imaginative, so it's a good track record.
  17. Do you think custom moves should return? And if so, should they have to be unlocked? Yes, I like custom moves, especially for veteran characters, because the decision to replace a move, especially one of their special moves, is very difficult even if the idea for the new move is great. But they shouldn't have to be unlocked. Or at least, they should be much quicker to unlock. They shouldn't have made it possible to earn a custom move you already have unlocked. By ensuring each drop was a new move, custom moves would have been much faster to finish.
  18. Do you think either stickers or stat boosting equipment should return? Yes to stickers, no to stat boosters. I like stickers because they're easier to develop than building a 3D model of something for a trophy. Brawl's stickers were just old, official artwork. And I would love to collect those alongside trophies. Stat boosters, as well as the idea of stickers providing stat boosters for a single player mode, are something I don't care about. Custom moves are enough customization, and I feel like the concept was best left in the mode Smash Run where your stats could be boosted to absurd totals.
  19. Is Jigglypuff the Dan of Smash Bros? (gag character that's intentionally designed to be sub par). Yes, yes she is.
  20. Should Sakurai always be the director of every Smash Bros. game, or should he be distanced from the franchise moving forward? I feel like he should. Sakurai is not just an incredibly talented designer, he's also a devout gamer at heart. Probably the only Japanese person I know that's ever owned an Xbox among dozens of other systems. He loves games and is incredibly honest about his design philosophies. I think the series is in good hands with him.
  21. Do you have a positive opinion at all about Smash Tour? Nope.
  22. Have you ever entered a competitive smash bros. tournament (including ones held online)? Did you place well? Yes, I used to enter in-person tournaments for Project M, and later Smash 4 a few months after its release. The one Smash 4 tournament I entered was probably my best placement ever. 9th place out of ~30 players. It was a lot of fun chatting with other players about the game and it's characters, but I quit soon after due to an unforeseen family-related crisis.
  23. How would you change/expand on the idea of Omega Form stages as a way to toggle a competitive version of each stage? I would replace Omega Forms with a hazard toggle on the stage select screen. With hazards turned off, the stage will not have elements that can damage or impede players.
  24. Do you want to see another Adventure Mode akin to Subspace Emissary in a future Smash bros. game? Yes, definitely. The only thing I would be okay with removing are cutscenes, since I know those are expensive to make. You would still be left with a mode way more engaging than Classic and All Star modes.
  25. Altogether, if you purchase it all for just one system, DLC for Smash 4 exceeds the price of the base game. And even more if you want the content on both Wii U and 3DS. Are the DLC price points too high? There's a lot of issues I take with how DLC was handled. DLC should have been cross compatible between versions for those that owned both Wii U and 3DS. I can't confidently say what should have been cheaper since all this content was made after release and it costs money to keep the studio lights one. But they have to pay greater attention to how much content they plan to make after release?
  26. Did you think the Smash Ballot was cool and/or well executed? Nah. I prefer a ballot that asks you just once what you want. I don't think dedicated fans that log in every day really need to have the extra voting power since they're still just one voice. Also, I would have made a ballot that asks for each person's top 5 picks, ranked in order. By asking people to rank their picks, it forces them to really consider what they want most. As well as participate in several community efforts where people rally to get their favorites in. Those sorts of community efforts are an incredibly good source of press for such an event, and for the game.
  27. How do you feel about Smash Bros. having non canon character design like Luigi not being able to wall jump, Robin using Nosferatu, or Ness/Lucas being able to use special attacks that they'll never learn? I call these design choices "Sakurai's canon". I've never met anybody that would agree with me on this, but I would fix them, especially if said characters end up getting reworked in a future game. This series is normally so on-point with its callbacks and character designs that these choices can seem really jarring.
  28. Do you think Smash Bros. should support community-made aesthetic mods like character skins in some way, or otherwise be okay with their unofficial distribution? I think they should be okay with their unofficial distribution. And they are exactly as okay with it as they are legally allowed to be, from what I've seen. Supporting community mods like Bethesda is doing would be really cool, but with a crossover game Nintendo has to consider the concerns of all the IP holders, not just their own concerns, so I can't see this happening.
  29. Follow-up: what about non aesthetic mods in which players re-balance the game and add their own characters? As of now, Twitch officially bans such games (like Project M) and it's implied Nintendo would be obligated to shut down the distribution of such mods to not only protect their own IP, but the IP of the dozens of other companies involved with Smash Bros. I struggle with this question a lot as an ex-fan of Project M. We had a game that was truly special, and Brawl is the game most in need of updates. Thinking about it, I guess my answer is no to these community built games. When people compete, stream, and earn money off of a hacked version of their game, Nintendo has to respond. Project M wasn't actually shut down, but the possibility of action was too threatening to its developers once they spoke to a lawyer. If you want to hack in your own game, you've gotta do it underground.
  30. And finally, would you prefer a Smash Bros. game with a similar model to Overwatch? You would buy the base game at full price and get immediate (or otherwise free) access to new characters and modes as they come out, but must earn or purchase loot boxes to obtain mountains of aesthetics. The game would also presumably have seasonal events and be updated across several years. This is another tough question. Like I said, I'm afraid of the roster getting too big, and of characters not getting enough attention in updates, but years of updates and characters being free directly addresses my concerns with DLC. A lot of Smash Bros. would translate directly into such a model. They could have an equivalent of loot boxes being earned periodically that include trophies, skins, and other collectible items. I just don't like the idea of loot boxes and earning totally random loot. As well as buying loot boxes for the chance at getting something you want. Even if it's all aesthetic, it still preys on a person's gambling tendencies. Overwatch makes me hopeful that something like this could work for Smash and still seem somewhat ethical, and I see Street Fighter 5 tried an interesting model with its content updates. However, I think I would prefer the current model, even if it comes at the cost of badly priced, infrequent DLC practices post launch. It will still ensure that the content in the base game makes up a complete experience at launch.

As for the Bonus poll choices. Here's links to the trailers

Edited by Glennstavos

1. All of them.
2. In 64, I used Kirby. In Melee, Fox, Dr. Mario, and Zelda. In Brawl...a lot of characters, but mostly Zero Suit Samus. In Smash 4, Rosalina & Luma.
3. Melee probably had the biggest impact on me, but I prefer Smash 4 today.
4. Smash 4. I used to watch plenty of Melee but I just can't anymore, it's too repetitive.
5. Smash 4. Patches help.
6. I'd like to see everyone make it back, but Ice Climbers and Wolf especially.
7. It would never happen, but Amaterasu from Okami.
8. I can't think of a single Ubisoft character I know/care enough about.
9. Bomberman.
10. No.
11. Fire Emblem. Jk, Donkey Kong.
12. Celebration of Nintendo.
13. Style Savvy.
14. Yes. It could be case-by-case, but I don't think clones are bad.
15. Smash 4. Fewer required (compared to the size of the roster) and easily doable within 100 vs matches.
16. No. The more the merrier.
17. Yes. No. They should be available immediately and selectable from the character select screen without making a custom build.
18. I don't mind them, though I don't use them.
19. Seems so lately.
20. I'd like for Sakurai to stay, but I want the franchise to continue even if he weren't to stick around.
21. No.
22. Just a couple online ones. Didn't place well.
23. There's not a simple answer for this due to how crazy stages can get, but it would be nice to have more than just flat stages.
24. Yes.
25. No. The only reason the DLC adds up to so much is because there's so much of it, and very few people will actually want it all.
26. Yes.
27. If it's due to a lack of other options, it's fine. Otherwise, well...
28. They don't need to outright support them, but I think they should turn a blind eye to them.
29. I don't have an opinion on this.
30. I could see this working out.

On 10.11.2017 at 9:26 AM, Glennstavos said:

Since it feels like we're a ways out from any potential Smash-related news, how about a fun questionnaire to re-affirm how we feel about this series? Because once the next Smash gets announced, we'll all be too hype and crazy to think straight.

all of them except the Wii U part
  2. Who do you main?
    64: Kirby    Melee: Played it too rarely to judge     Brawl: Snake, Wolf        3DS: Ganondorf, Captain Falcon
    Brawl because of Subspace Emissary
    Brawl
  5. Which of the Smash Bros. games do you think has the best balance in character roster?
    A mix of Brawl and 4. I'm really sad that Wolf and Snake were cut and 4 had too many fillers. Brawl's roster with Shulk and MegaMan would be perfect for me.
  6. Are there any veteran characters not in Smash 4 (or its DLC) that you think deserve to be in Smash again?
    Snake, Ice Climbers, Wolf instead of Falco
  7. If you could pick another guest character from Capcom, Sega, or Bandai Namco, who would it be?
    Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia
  8. If you could pick a guest character from Ubisoft franchises to put in Smash, who would it be?
    Idk any UbiSoft franchises
  9. If you could pick a guest character from Konami franchises to put in Smash, who would it be?
    Simon Belmont from Castlevania
  10. Would you object to a Microsoft-owned character appearing in Smash? Even if it was Master Chief?
    Idk any Microsoft characters
  11. Which Nintendo franchise(s) deserves more character representation? Use Smash 4's roster as a basis.
    None, but some series like Mario or FE need less though
  12. Is Smash Bros. ideally more of a celebration of Nintendo, or a celebration of video games in general?
    In the beginning Nintendo but now both
  13. Are there any franchises you think could represent a great stage, but not so much a playable character?
    Touhou
  14. If it was up to you, would you spend time and resources making new clone characters at all in a Smash game?
    lol no, I hate clones in Smash
    Can't say about Melee, so no answer
    Not entirely, but there are too many characters of certain franchises
  17. Do you think custom moves should return? And if so, should they have to be unlocked?
    Never cared for them
    Never cared for it
  19. Is Jigglypuff the Dan of Smash Bros? (gag character that's intentionally designed to be sub par)
  20. Should Sakurai always be the director of every Smash Bros. game, or should he be distanced from the franchise moving forward?
    He did a good job, so why not?
    Idk what it is
  22. Have you ever entered a competitive smash bros. tournament (including ones held online)? Did you place well?
    never could no because of no good internet at home
  23. How would you change/expand on the idea of Omega Form stages as a way to toggle a competitive version of each stage?
    n. o.
  24. Do you want to see another Adventure Mode akin to Subspace Emissary in a future Smash bros. game?
    definitely yes
  25. Altogether, if you purchase it all for just one system, DLC for Smash 4 exceeds the price of the base game. And even more if you want the content on both Wii U and 3DS. Are the DLC price points too high?
    yes
    It was unbalanced and too much quantity instead of quality. One copy character less wouldn't hurt the game.
  27. How do you feel about Smash Bros. having non canon character design like Luigi not being able to wall jump, Robin using Nosferatu, or Ness/Lucas being able to use special attacks that they'll never learn?
  28. Do you think Smash Bros. should support community-made aesthetic mods like character skins in some way, or otherwise be okay with their unofficial distribution?
    n. o.
  29. Follow-up: what about non aesthetic mods in which players re-balance the game and add their own characters? As of now, Twitch officially bans such games (like Project M) and it's implied Nintendo would be obligated to shut down the distribution of such mods to not only protect their own IP, but the IP of the dozens of other companies involved with Smash Bros.
    n. o.
  30. And finally, would you prefer a Smash Bros. game with a similar model to Overwatch? You would buy the base game and get immediate access to new characters and modes, but must earn or purchase loot boxes to obtain mountains of aesthetics. The game would also presumably have seasonal events and be updated across several years.
    n. o.

Cool thread!
Reminds me to revive my questionnaire thread.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

1. Kirby, Earthbound, Mario, Animal Crossing, Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Legend of Zelda

2. Brawl: Marth WiiU: Corrin

3. Brawl because SSE

4. WiiU

5. 3DS/WiiU

6. Wolf

7. Zero from Megaman X/Zero

8. Altair from Assassins Creed.

9. Jack the Ripper/Raiden from Metal Gear

10. Any Rare characters from the N64 era

11. I don't know

12. Probably the former once, maybe the latter now.

13. Mass Effect

14. Depends on the clone.

15. Brawl did through SSE

16. Not really.

17. Sure, as long as they are balanced for competitive.

18. Either or, but probably the former

19. Jigglypuff has its devotees, Dan is just bad.

20. That's his choice, not ours.

21. I think it's fun.

22. Yes, but no.

23. I think Omega is fine as it is.

24. Sure. Just don't leak it.

25. It could be a lot worse.

26. It brought back well loved characters, so why not?

27. Depends on how badly it skews the source material.

28. Gray area, I'm not touching that question.

29. No.

30. Unsure, probably yes, unless previously available popular skins were locked behind them, then I would be a little miffed.

On 11/10/2017 at 12:26 AM, Glennstavos said:

2. Who do you main?

Here are my answers. Spoilered because over-long OPs are bleh.

Reveal hidden contents
  1. What games in this series have you played? All of them
  2. Who do you main? Bowser in Smash 4. Roy and Zero Suit Samus in Project M. Mewtwo and Roy in Melee.
  3. Do you have a favorite game from a casual perspective? Smash 64.
  4. Do you have a favorite game from a competitive perspective? Project M, but among official games, Melee
  5. Which of the Smash Bros. games do you think has the best balance in character roster? Smash 4. Every game will have those few characters that dominate, but only Smash 4 has that ocean of mid tiers that dedicated players can win regionals with. And the sheer volume of characters makes it incredibly difficult to be proficient in every matchup, resulting in upsets which we love to see.
  6. Are there any veteran characters not in Smash 4 (or its DLC) that you think deserve to be in Smash again? Nah. I wouldn't mind seeing Ice Climbers return but I don't think they've earned their spot. The two characters in one concept could be redone with a new character. Solid Snake definitely has that sort of iconic status that makes you want to consider him, but he's not on the same level as Mega Man or Pac-Man.
  7. If you could pick another guest character from Capcom, Sega, or Bandai Namco, who would it be? Heihachi Mishima from Tekken
  8. If you could pick a guest character from Ubisoft franchises to put in Smash, who would it be? Normally Rayman. But a Source Gaming podcast had a cute idea where you can have a Rabbid that mimics the appearance and attacks of characters from multiple Ubisoft franchises like Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, etc. Plus Mario + Rabbids showed me that Rabbids can actually be charming and funny, so I'd go with that.
  9. If you could pick a guest character from Konami franchises to put in Smash, who would it be? Bomberman
  10. Would you object to a Microsoft-owned character appearing in Smash? Even if it was Master Chief? I actually would love to see Master Chief in Smash. From what I'm hearing of the latest Halo, Master Chief may not be an icon of gaming for much longer.
  11. Which Nintendo franchise(s) deserves more character representation? Use Smash 4's roster as a basis. Definitely Zelda. They can start by re-working Ganon. Maybe even have classic pig Ganon with his trident. I think it's a bit late to add Vaati or Ghirahim, but I certainly wanted the latter in Smash 4. As for a Breath of the Wild rep, it's hard to pick just one of the champions. All I can really say is I'd bet Sidon would have a pretty incredible fan response.
  12. Is Smash Bros. ideally more of a celebration of Nintendo, or a celebration of video games in general? I prefer to think of it as the latter. I love guest characters. They're weird and interesting in ways you'd never get from picks like Dixie Kong or Ridley. I also don't buy the argument that Nintendo is throwing away potential promotion of their products when they make guest characters. A game like Smash Bros. lives or dies by what games are being represented. If I lived in a bizarro universe where I didn't play Smash, but heard Mega Man was in the game, instant purchase.
  13. Are there any franchises you think could represent a great stage, but not so much a playable character? Castlevania. Because it's hard to pick out just one Castlevania protagonist, but I really want to fight in Dracula's Castle.
  14. If it was up to you, would you spend time and resources making new clone characters at all in a Smash game? Yes, but I would instead divert resources purely to making the aesthetic skin and new voice clips, which I realize is the vast majority of the work in making a clone character. My clones would be toggleable like any other skin. but you wouldn't have to play as them for the sake of completion. Also, to be honest, I would make a lot of these "clone skins" since I love being able to represent more characters without having to pay attention to how to balance them against their original or other characters.
  15. Which Smash Bros. game do you think handled unlocking characters the best? Brawl. 100% of characters can be unlocked through one mode, Subspace Emissary, which I adored. And if you didn't like SSE, you could unlock everybody through other means.
  16. Do you worry Smash Bros. character rosters are getting too big? Yes, though I'll admit it hasn't happened yet. I'm afraid because I'm worried about how impossible such a game becomes to balance, as well as some characters falling by the wayside because they're not getting any attention. Smash 4's roster is made up of carefully designed characters, with only Dedede and Ganondorf that I feel are in major need of attention. And of course the DLC characters are incredibly imaginative, so it's a good track record.
  17. Do you think custom moves should return? And if so, should they have to be unlocked? Yes, I like custom moves, especially for veteran characters, because the decision to replace a move, especially one of their special moves, is very difficult even if the idea for the new move is great. But they shouldn't have to be unlocked. Or at least, they should be much quicker to unlock. They shouldn't have made it possible to earn a custom move you already have unlocked. By ensuring each drop was a new move, custom moves would have been much faster to finish.
  18. Do you think either stickers or stat boosting equipment should return? Yes to stickers, no to stat boosters. I like stickers because they're easier to develop than building a 3D model of something for a trophy. Brawl's stickers were just old, official artwork. And I would love to collect those alongside trophies. Stat boosters, as well as the idea of stickers providing stat boosters for a single player mode, are something I don't care about. Custom moves are enough customization, and I feel like the concept was best left in the mode Smash Run where your stats could be boosted to absurd totals.
  19. Is Jigglypuff the Dan of Smash Bros? (gag character that's intentionally designed to be sub par). Yes, yes she is.
  20. Should Sakurai always be the director of every Smash Bros. game, or should he be distanced from the franchise moving forward? I feel like he should. Sakurai is not just an incredibly talented designer, he's also a devout gamer at heart. Probably the only Japanese person I know that's ever owned an Xbox among dozens of other systems. He loves games and is incredibly honest about his design philosophies. I think the series is in good hands with him.
  21. Do you have a positive opinion at all about Smash Tour? Nope.
  22. Have you ever entered a competitive smash bros. tournament (including ones held online)? Did you place well? Yes, I used to enter in-person tournaments for Project M, and later Smash 4 a few months after its release. The one Smash 4 tournament I entered was probably my best placement ever. 9th place out of ~30 players. It was a lot of fun chatting with other players about the game and it's characters, but I quit soon after due to an unforeseen family-related crisis.
  23. How would you change/expand on the idea of Omega Form stages as a way to toggle a competitive version of each stage? I would replace Omega Forms with a hazard toggle on the stage select screen. With hazards turned off, the stage will not have elements that can damage or impede players.
  24. Do you want to see another Adventure Mode akin to Subspace Emissary in a future Smash bros. game? Yes, definitely. The only thing I would be okay with removing are cutscenes, since I know those are expensive to make. You would still be left with a mode way more engaging than Classic and All Star modes.
  25. Altogether, if you purchase it all for just one system, DLC for Smash 4 exceeds the price of the base game. And even more if you want the content on both Wii U and 3DS. Are the DLC price points too high? There's a lot of issues I take with how DLC was handled. DLC should have been cross compatible between versions for those that owned both Wii U and 3DS. I can't confidently say what should have been cheaper since all this content was made after release and it costs money to keep the studio lights one. But they have to pay greater attention to how much content they plan to make after release?
  26. Did you think the Smash Ballot was cool and/or well executed? Nah. I prefer a ballot that asks you just once what you want. I don't think dedicated fans that log in every day really need to have the extra voting power since they're still just one voice. Also, I would have made a ballot that asks for each person's top 5 picks, ranked in order. By asking people to rank their picks, it forces them to really consider what they want most. As well as participate in several community efforts where people rally to get their favorites in. Those sorts of community efforts are an incredibly good source of press for such an event, and for the game.
  27. How do you feel about Smash Bros. having non canon character design like Luigi not being able to wall jump, Robin using Nosferatu, or Ness/Lucas being able to use special attacks that they'll never learn? I call these design choices "Sakurai's canon". I've never met anybody that would agree with me on this, but I would fix them, especially if said characters end up getting reworked in a future game. This series is normally so on-point with its callbacks and character designs that these choices can seem really jarring.
  28. Do you think Smash Bros. should support community-made aesthetic mods like character skins in some way, or otherwise be okay with their unofficial distribution? I think they should be okay with their unofficial distribution. And they are exactly as okay with it as they are legally allowed to be, from what I've seen. Supporting community mods like Bethesda is doing would be really cool, but with a crossover game Nintendo has to consider the concerns of all the IP holders, not just their own concerns, so I can't see this happening.
  29. Follow-up: what about non aesthetic mods in which players re-balance the game and add their own characters? As of now, Twitch officially bans such games (like Project M) and it's implied Nintendo would be obligated to shut down the distribution of such mods to not only protect their own IP, but the IP of the dozens of other companies involved with Smash Bros. I struggle with this question a lot as an ex-fan of Project M. We had a game that was truly special, and Brawl is the game most in need of updates. Thinking about it, I guess my answer is no to these community built games. When people compete, stream, and earn money off of a hacked version of their game, Nintendo has to respond. Project M wasn't actually shut down, but the possibility of action was too threatening to its developers once they spoke to a lawyer. If you want to hack in your own game, you've gotta do it underground.
  30. And finally, would you prefer a Smash Bros. game with a similar model to Overwatch? You would buy the base game at full price and get immediate (or otherwise free) access to new characters and modes as they come out, but must earn or purchase loot boxes to obtain mountains of aesthetics. The game would also presumably have seasonal events and be updated across several years. This is another tough question. Like I said, I'm afraid of the roster getting too big, and of characters not getting enough attention in updates, but years of updates and characters being free directly addresses my concerns with DLC. A lot of Smash Bros. would translate directly into such a model. They could have an equivalent of loot boxes being earned periodically that include trophies, skins, and other collectible items. I just don't like the idea of loot boxes and earning totally random loot. As well as buying loot boxes for the chance at getting something you want. Even if it's all aesthetic, it still preys on a person's gambling tendencies. Overwatch makes me hopeful that something like this could work for Smash and still seem somewhat ethical, and I see Street Fighter 5 tried an interesting model with its content updates. However, I think I would prefer the current model, even if it comes at the cost of badly priced, infrequent DLC practices post launch. It will still ensure that the content in the base game makes up a complete experience at launch.

1. 64, Melee, Brawl, PM, 4 
2. Mario in 64, Peach in Melee, Marth in Brawl, Link & Sonic in PM & Ike in 4 
3. Brawl is probably the funnest game casually, as it has tons of single player content and some neat co-op as well as just a fun chaotic time. 4, Melee and 64 also have this fun factor however its just less pronounced. 
4. Melee, PM & 4 are the most competitive for sure, Melee is old and legendary to many, with its metagame nearly perfected, 4 is still newish and has chaotic results all over the place although there are its set of dominant characters as well, you're more likely to see a Smash 4 weird character make top 8 than Melee, but Melee does have the very rare exception.  PM has the best of both worlds but with how it was shut down by Nintendo its unlikely it'll soar beyond what it has. 
5. Project M & 4 for sure have the best overall balance as both games made it a sticking point and patched previous versions to (mostly) fix this. 
6. I think Wolf, Snake & the IC all deserve to come back like how Mewtwo and Roy did. 
7. Capcom: Zero in his Megaman X look, Sega i'd pick Gillius Thunderhead from Golden Axe, Namco Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia 
8. Rayman 
9. Simon Belmont or Alucard from Castlevania 
10.  I wouldn't object, it would just further the possibilities. we could get to 
11. I think Zelda, DK and Metroid are long overdue for another character each. 
12. I'd say its both, it started as a Nintendo celebration, and continues to do so but now it also celebrates aspects of its relationships with other companies, and their history as well. 
13. Pinball based stage from Nintendos old games lineup 
14. Considering clones are fairly easy to make and give players more eyecandy/characters in a technical sense, yes but no more than 2 or 3. 
15. Brawl having them unlocked through Subspace or PM having them all unlocked right away. 
16. No. 
17. Don't make them a chore to unlock or leave them unlocked asap, 4's method completely killed their ability to be used in the meta.
18. No 
19. Considering she's been viable in half of the games, I wouldn't say yes entirely, that was more Pichu's role in Melee. 
20. He should, but I wouldn't mind seeing someone else taking a crack at it. 
21. Nope, the mode is literal garbage 
22. I have entered several for smash 4, my best placing was 4th at a local in Washington, I've made top 8 in a few others. 
23. I'd like a "battlefield" and a "no hazards" toggle as well, Dead or Alive actually has the latter and it does wonders. 
24. Hell yes 
25. I don't think so since they're all optional 
26. I think the idea was good, although I'm not entirely pleased with result considering how much 4's meta is going to revolve around Bayonetta soon. 
27. I see it as cool nods, the Earthbound kids were stated in their trophies to have gained Starstorm from other people so thats a pretty neat way of incorporating lore into Smash. 
28. They could turn the other way
29. Yes but only if they didn't make money off it. 
30. Hell No.

1. All of them, but I only played 64 once.
  2. Don't play competitively, but R.O.B., Mewtwo, and Corrin are my favorites.
  3. Wii U.
  4. Don't play competitively, so no.
  5. 3DS/Wii U.
  6. Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Snake.
  7. A Shin Megami Tensei/Persona character, assuming that Atlus is included under Sega, and Phoenix Wright.
  8. Rayman.
  9. Besides Snake, Bomberman.
  10. No, assuming that they are interesting and unique.
  11. Donkey Kong could use Dixie and Wolf should come back, but otherwise there's nothing too glaring. The Zelda characters should be updated, but there aren't any obvious options for newcomers.
  12. Nintendo mostly, but it should also celebrate Nintendo's relationships with other companies.
  13. Tetris.
  14. Yes if the time can't be spent in a more productive way, but not too many.
  15. Can't decide.
  16. No, you know what they say, the more the merrier!
  17. Only if they put effort into it, otherwise they might as well not bother.
  18. Don't really care either way.
  19. Based on her never being buffed in Smash 4, yes.
  20. Ideally he should, but it would be unrealistic for Sakurai to devote two years of his life every so often to making a new Smash. Even if he isn't the director, he should still be involved and future directors should follow his example.
  21. It's fine for goofing off (and if you don't expect to win).
  22. No.
  23. Battlefield or hazardless versions of stages would be nice for the people who want them.
  24. Yes, though some (text-based most likely) dialogue wouldn't hurt.
  25. Character and stage prices are fine, don't really care about the Mii costumes.
  26. Yes, but it was never anything more than a suggestion box and I'm surprised that we even got anything from it.
  27. It's fine if it allows the characters to better represent their series.
  28. They could ignore it...
  29. No.
  30. No, Smash doesn't have anyone that can heal Genji anyway.
Edited by Lightchao42

1. 64 , Melee , Brawl , Smash for Wii U
  2. Peach
  3. Melee
  4. Melee
  5. Smash 4
  6. No. Everyone likes the ice climbers, but even taking the NES era, there is plenty of better options for charathers never in a smash.
  7. The Dig Dug guy, Taizo Hori. 
  8. Rayman
  9. I would say Big Boss from Metal Gear Solid, but kind of causes an identify crisis as to how he is presesnted ost-Kojima. Simon Belmont or Alucard would be safer at this point.
  10. No objection. Master chief seems annoying moveset wise because projectile charathers in FTG.  Make it Gravity Hammer (Energy Sword is more popular, but doesn't stand out against other weapon users in smash)
  11. No More Heroes - especially since it's having game developed for the Switch. 
  12. Nintendo, but I'm fine with it serving "for video games in general" up until some other series can take up that mantle- The lack of such a thing makes the temoporary move away from Melee/64 compleely understandable. And anyway going too much into 'Nintendo could encourage more obsucre trivia charathers for the sake of obscurity (ROB some of the assist trophies) or the series gettting even more commerical with advertising new IPs (Fire Eemblem in series history, but remember people put in Arms charathers for fan smash 5 ballots even before Arms released) 
  13. Elite Beat Agents. Golden Sun. Cubivore.
  14. I would implement clones only in the form of EG "Old Sagat" in SSFT
  15. With Brawl / 64 / Wii U I unlocked them all within a single weekend.. idk. I guess melee for slowing you down
  16. Yes
  17. They were fun to mess with. Since Miis are still a feuture of Nintendo Switch and customization has been shown to be popular (as much by avatars in other compainesand genres) Then they should return. Unlocking them was slow, but fine. since it gave me excuse to play SP longer than in Brawl.
  18. No. 
  19. Since Brawl? Maybe. 
  20. While he's with the company. Personally while co-labborate decisions are more "balanced" a single driving will creates a more interesting (not just in smash, I think of eg, Borat's domineering of a format by browbeating all oppositon. Or twingalaxies towards the early years of speedrunning. 
  21. It's a very dumb minigame mode. It's too necessary to play conservatively due to the chaos. 
  22. Yes, No.
  23. I think the main problem was blast zones being different distances on some Omega maps. Clarity is the best fix.
  24. No
  25. I thin havin DLC for a mass-appeal game is more dangerous than DLC for things that only fans of specific genres will purchase. The price exceeding base game is fine as the DLC was developed well after the game went to market. 
  26. I think it became a case of vote for guy with best chance of beating my dislikes than encourging new ideas.
  27. This is justified, even with charathers with unexplored moves from their own games in addition to pepople like Captain Falcon. 
  28. No
  29. It's justified.
  30. No. 
Edited by Reality

1. All of them
2. Lucina
3. Smash 4
4. I enjoy watching some Melee matches
5. Smash 4
6. Idk
7. Lloyd Irving
8. None
9. Simon Belmont
10. Nope
11. F-Zero and Metroid
12. Nintendo
13. Excitebike
14. No
15. Brawl. Either play Subspace or just play a shitload of VS matches which you'll do anyways.
16. Yes, there is such a thing as too many characters. 50 should be the limit.
17. I'd love to see custom moves return. I just hate how they're unlocked at random per character. Horrible decision.
18. Sure as long as you can turn them off in actual battles.
19. Nope, that would go to Pichu.
20. He's fine. I don't know how much would change if he left.
21. No
22. Only a small online tourney in another forum. It was a mess.
23. Just make them universally like Final Destination.
24. Yes, if only for the cutscenes.
25. Idk, I only paid for the characters and stages I wanted in bundles for Wii U and 3DS. Didn't waste money on Mii costumes.
26. I wish it could have been for more than just 1 character. No interest in Bayonetta.
27. It's a little jarring since they're so keen on staying true to their origins but you stop caring about it after 5 seconds.
28. Yeah, especially since mods take advantage of cooler costume ideas instead of just color swaps.
29. What people do with their copies of the game is their own business. As long as they're not making a profit from it.
30. That sounds horrible. That's the new age of gaming that I despise.

Aw crap, I just thought of one of the most pertinent questions. The most hype aspect of Smash Bros. is seeing who they're going to put in the game next. So I went and made that question into a poll. Links to the trailers are in the OP.

As for my answer, Bowser Jr. Because I remember there was a leak that included him and I thought that was the dumbest idea. We didn't need another Mario rep, least of all a C-list character. I just envisioned Bowser Jr would be a Young Link style clone of Bowser. Smaller and faster, but with less power. But this trailer immediately sold me on his clown kart design. And also doubled as their reveal of 8 player smash using the Koopalings. So classy. 

Edited by Glennstavos

Sonic in Brawl was when I lost it and started fanboying super hard, I've been a fan of both Mario & Sonic since I was 3 years old and to finally see them together in Smash of all things was the BEST THING EVER.

Spoiler
  1. What games have you played? All of them
  2. Who do you main? Dedede/Meta Knight
  3. Favorite game from a casual perspective? Smash 4
  4. Favorite game from a competitive perspective? Smash 4
  5. Best balance? Smash 4
  6. Veteran characters that deserve to be in Smash again? Ice Climbers
  7. If you could pick another guest character from Capcom, Sega, or Bandai Namco, who would it be? NiGHTS
  8. If you could pick a guest character from Ubisoft franchises to put in Smash, who would it be? Rayman, duh
  9. If you could pick a guest character from Konami franchises to put in Smash, who would it be? Bomberman, duh
  10. Would you object to a Microsoft-owned character appearing in Smash? Even if it was Master Chief? Don't want
  11. Which Nintendo franchise(s) deserves more character representation? Use Smash 4's roster as a basis. Sin & Punishment. Just an assist trophy, really?
  12. Is Smash Bros. ideally more of a celebration of Nintendo, or a celebration of video games in general? It's a celebration of money.
  13. Any franchises you think could represent a great stage, but not so much a playable character? No
  14. Spend resources making new clone characters? No
  15. Which game handled unlocking characters the best? Tie
  16. Do you worry Smash Bros. character rosters are getting too big? Yes
  17. Do you think custom moves should return? And if so, should they have to be unlocked? Yes and No
  18. Do you think either stickers or stat boosting equipment should return? No
  19. Is Jigglypuff the Dan of Smash Bros? (gag character that's intentionally designed to be sub par) Yes
  20. Should Sakurai always be the director? Don't care
  21. Do you have a positive opinion at all about Smash Tour? No
  22. Have you ever entered a competitive smash bros. tournament? No
  23. How would you change/expand on the idea of Omega Form stages? Keep some of the platforms so the stages are still varied. Effectively, Omega forms would be "no bullsh**" mode with 40+ diverse yet tourney viable stages.
  24. Another Adventure Mode? Sure, why not
  25. Are the DLC price points too high? Yes
  26. Did you think the Smash Ballot was cool and/or well executed? Yes
  27. How do you feel about Smash Bros. having non canon character design like Luigi not being able to wall jump, Robin using Nosferatu, or Ness/Lucas being able to use special attacks that they'll never learn? Since it makes the characters more interesting to play as, I'm usually in favor of it.
  28. Do you think Smash Bros. should support community-made aesthetic mods? Yes
  29. Follow-up: what about non aesthetic mods in which players re-balance the game and add their own characters? That's a tricky question. The only sure thing is that it's Nintendo's responsibility to balance their game.
  30. And finally, would you prefer a Smash Bros. game with a similar model to Overwatch? I will not support gambling until I'm a millionaire.

Edited by Zera

On 11/10/2017 at 3:26 AM, Glennstavos said:

2. Who do you main?
  30. And finally, would you prefer a Smash Bros. game with a similar model to Overwatch? You would buy the base game and get immediate access to new characters and modes, but must earn or purchase loot boxes to obtain mountains of aesthetics. The game would also presumably have seasonal events and be updated across several years

1. All of them.

2. Pichu

3. Melee

4. Melee

5. Smash 4

6. Ice Climbers

7. idk

8-10. idk

11. none

12. nintendo

13. i think nintendo balanced stage representation well

14. time and resources to make a clone are comparatively negligible, so yes.

15. Brawl

16. yes

17. yes, any way other than they were in smash 4

18. yes

19. yes, but mainly for casual play

20. unsure

21. no

22. yes. i place decently in smash 4.

23. i'd keep them the same. maybe make a toggle for time-based backgrounds like in smashville.

24. yes

25. no

26. it seemed to be the best thing possible

27. it's fine.

28. yes

29. it's fine

30. eh

Sure, I'll answer.

Spoiler
    Melee, Brawl, and Wii U/3DS.
  2. Who do you main?
    Luigi since Melee, and Ike since Brawl.
    Wii U
    Wii U again because I'm not super competitive.
    I think Wii U/3DS did a pretty good job.
    Not really, no.
    I don't know, I don't really know any. Does Vaati count since Capcom made Zelda: The Minish Cap?
    Rayman is the only one here I'm familiar with and I do rather like him.
    I don't know any here.
    Probably, because Smash is about Nintendo characters and characters that mainly appear on Nintendo consoles. Not Microsoft ones.
    Zelda for sure. Donkey Kong as well.
    A celebration of Nintendo, no question.
    Animal Crossing. Villager is too weird and unfitting as a playable character imo. Sakurai even had this same opinion during Brawl. I have no idea why he changed that.
    Maybe one or two, but no more than that. I like quality and unique movesets/characters more.
    I'd say Wii U/3DS.
    Nah.
    Totally! And generally no, but I'm fine with them being unlockable if they can be unlocked in a NOT stupid way.
    I don't care either way, honestly.
    I thought that was Pichu, Villager, or Wii FIt Trainer...
    I generally like what he does, but I wouldn't object to someone else directing instead so long as they have a similar mindset on how to go about the games. Sakurai always did great imo.
    It's okay, but a little bland and confusing.
    Almost did once, but never actually did for real.
    I would make Omega form stages take from Battlefield instead of Final Destination. Final Destination SUCKS.
    Yeah, I'd love that!
    I never get all of the DLC, so I can't really say.
    Yeah, I just didn't like the results. Bayonetta does not belong in Smash, imo. She is too mature. She even had to be dumbed down to not make the game's ESRB rating go up!
    I'm generally okay with it, though I do wish Luigi could wall jump.
    So long as people are doing this legally, yeah.
    I don't know, I guess it would depend on how it's done exactly.
    This sounds like what happens in games like gacha and Pokemon GO and stuff. I guess I'd be fine with it so long as the prices are reasonable.