So, I'm nearing the endgame of Blazing Sword (Eliwood mode, on Chapter 25 rn), and I'm planning on following it up by playing Binding Blade.  I've heard a few things about the game, and I'd like to hear your opinions on what the game is like.

Stuff I've heard around or want to know includes:

• Roy is a terrible unit, for a Lord at least, and doesn't get promoted until Chapter 23 (I believe?), which is near the end of the game.  Is he really that bad?  Are his growths at least middle-of-the-road?
  • Units in FE6 have different attributes than those in FE7.  How different are these changes, and should I change my strategy based on them?
  • What are some units I should pay attention to?  What units can I feed EXP to, and which ones are acceptable to bench?
  • What chapters should I look out for?

The Roy hate is way out of proportion. He's basically Eliwood, but FE7 has more powerful characters in general, so being basically Eliwood in FE6 isn't a huge weakness - he's a perfectly serviceable unit, not great, but not terrible either. As you already know though, he promotes late, which is his main problem - the part where he hits level 20 and stops cold while everyone else keeps growing is his glaring weakness. (I believe there's a patch that makes him promote earlier somewhere on the boards.)

There are some minor gameplay changes, like IIRC the swordmaster/berserker crit bonus is higher than it is in 7, but the classes are basically the same; if you've played one gba game you'll have no problem playing another.

The growth rates are on the main site if you're into that; otherwise, just use the units who turn out well and bench the ones who don't. Deke, Lugh, Rutger, and ~Milady~ are some of the ones generally considered Good, and archers and armours are Bad as usual.

Chapter 14 is the big Fuck You map of the game,

Spoiler

it's a desert map where they force-deploy a squishy-ass shaman and a mounted unit argh

but apart from that I don't think there's anything particularly bad.

You may want to look up the requirements for the side quests and route splits if you'd rather know what's coming up. Also, make sure not to break any of the legendary weapons because they're needed for Plot late in the game and you're missing out on stuff if you don't have them by then.

Most of all, use most of the prepromotes you get, they are for the most part amazing. This is usually the case, but imo even more so in FE6 than usual. As usual in GBA, cavaliers are great, fighters, knights and archers are (in most cases) bad.

Roy is pretty bad, his earlygame rapier is nice, his lategame private weapon is good, but his midgame is awful due to swordlock, no horse, late promotion and mediocre stats.

As for chapters, chapter 7 is scary, watch out for the wyverns, chapter 14 can be annoying (desert+fog). There are two route splits, depending on which one you go on you'll get different units or units on different times.

Not sure if you know about the Gaiden chapters/true ending and whether you mind being spoiled, of the answer to both is no, then:

Spoiler

To unlock certain extra chapters you need to complete some chapters in a certain amount of turns/keep certain people alive. If you do, you get to go on the side quests where you'll get legendary weapons. If you have all of them intact after defeating the "final boss" the game goes on where you'll face the true final boss. If you don't mind being spoiled, check the wikis/serenes page for the requirements

The game loves status staves and ambush spawns so watch out for those.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy it and good luck!

Fe6 is my second favourite in the series, let me answer some of your questions. I'm speaking of experience.

• For the beginning of the game Roy is a perfectly fine lord. And at the end, the binding blade saves him. Roy's growths aren't THAT bad, certainly not for fe6 standards. But the fact that he can't promote until late is holding him back.
  • I can't answer that question sorry.
  • From my experience, Wade and Lot aren't very worth using. For a first timer, I wouldn't reccomend Sophia, either. Units that turned out great for me were Clarine, Dieck, Lugh, and Gonzales. However, you should figure out who's best for your own taste.
  • Look out for chapters that require you to do stuff to unlock gaiden chapters. These can greatly help you with Roy

Roy is bad for a lord but you can get him levels here and there and just leave him to do little. He promotes at the start of Chapter 22. He will still be serviceable enough just not a unit that will stand out.

Growths are generally a bit lower than FE7.

The game isn't so hard on normal at least you have to especially care about what units you are using. Alan/Lance, Dieck, Rutger, Miledy are all strong. Some prepromotes like Marcus, Niime and Percival are strong. Wendy, Sophia and Cath are particularly bad.

Edited by Tryhard

Roy has a meh start - not the worst unit on the team, but not very good either, although he doesn't fare too bad on normal difficulty. If you make sure to give him some levels, he'll do fine until it's promotion o'clock for the rest of the team and he's stuck on level 20, but before that, he's nay bad, especially since there's a very axe-heavy part of the midgame.
His growths are fine - about average where it counts (Str, Spd, Def) and amazing where it matters less (Skl, Lck, Res). It's mostly his shaky base stats and late promotion why he's considered to be bad.

1 hour ago, B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N said:

Units in FE6 have different attributes than those in FE7.  How different are these changes, and should I change my strategy based on them?

Your powerlevel compared to the enemy is lower in FE6 than in FE7, especially earlygame where most of your units are relatively underpowered. This makes good, accurate chip damage more important, since javelins and hand axes are less reliable than in FE7 (and you don't get your hands on spears or tomahawks). Swords and Bows are actually very good weapon reanks to have for that reason. The gameplay overall isn't too different than FE7's, but you often have to be more conservative in your play and not pull too many enemy units at once into your range.

What are some units I should pay attention to?  What units can I feed EXP to, and which ones are acceptable to bench?

My personal golden role would be, "If a unit is good right now, use it". This is particularly true for prepromotes - FE6 has a good number of them, and most of them are pretty strong when they join you. They will usually fall behind at some later point, but they're really valuable before that. On the other hand of the spectrum, if a growth unit struggles to deal damage and/or survive when they join, it's not really worth the effort to train them to an appropriate level. It's possible for all growth units with a large enough effort (which is very large for the likes of Sophia and Wendy, even on normal mode), but they will not surpass the units you got earlier.

More specifically, the most valuable long-term units from the first few chapters are Allen and Lance (your cavaliers, and using both is not a bad idea since the class is just amazing), Deke (whose growth rates are a bit below average, but his bases carry him for the entire game), Rutger (he and Deke are your most reliable boss killers for most of the game), and Shanna (whose strength is quite shaky, but she's your only flyer for a good part of the game and a good candidate for an early promotion).

Bench material would be all armor knights (they're just worse than cavaliers with whom they compete for their promotional items), Wolt and Dorothy (bowlock isn't as bad as in FE7, but they're worse than than the nomads and prepromoted snipers), Wade (very low speed), and Sophia. Every other growth unit is at least usable, even though some are certainly better than others.

All three healers that will join you early on (Elen, Clarine, Saul) are decent enough, with Saul being slightly ahead, I'd say. But the choice between them isn't that important, as long as you focus on one of them. It's fine (and sometimes recommended) to field a second staffer, but it's much better to only use them if really needed and replace them with prepromotes later in the game.

What chapters should I look out for?

Chapter seven, although it's apparently less evil on NM than on HM. Still, the enemies are relatively strong and your team is still lacking some punch.

Chapter 11 on the "Lalum-Route" (you'll want to check the "Sidequest chapters" page on the main side, not only for this) - three recruitable characters, two of them (aggressive) enemies and one green unit that migh suicide if you don't hurry. One of the few chapters that keep the pressure up for more than the first 5 turns or so.

Chapter 14, although it's not as bad if you don't let yourself be distracted. It's the desert map, hidden items inclusive, and you're on a timer, so you have to move you units at a good pace. It helps if you know how to use the rescue command efficiently, and there's a nice trick to reliably pick up the hidden items with any unit, but many players still find this map to be the hardest in the game, although I would disagree. ;)

Chapter 21, because it's easy to be overwhelmed by the enemy forces if you don't know that the reinforcements are triggered by entering certain (unmarked) zones on the map. FireemblemWOD has a very helpful map for that, if you'll need it.

Alright, from what I've gathered, it seems you have to play a little more conservatively due to the slightly smaller distance in power between the enemy units and your own, and due to stuff like the slightly higher crit rate on Swordmasters and Beserkers.  However, nothing too drastically different.

Prepromotes are generally important, and you should use them to your advantage, even moreso than in other FE entries.

Also, watch out for Chapters 7, 11, 14, and 21.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!  I'll keep this stuff in mind when I get around to starting the game.

55 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Roy is bad for a lord but you can get him levels here and there and just leave him to do little. He promotes at the start of Chapter 22. He will still be serviceable enough just not a unit that will stand out.

Growths are generally a bit lower than FE7.

The game isn't so hard on normal at least you have to especially care about what units you are using. Alan/Lance, Dieck, Rutger, Miledy are all strong. Some prepromotes like Marcus, Niime and Percival are strong. Wendy, Sophia and Cath are particularly bad.

Sophia is actually good if you give her levels

Bepisman, FE6 is my favorite game in the series, My advice for you,

2 hours ago, B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N said:

• Roy is a terrible unit, for a Lord at least, and doesn't get promoted until Chapter 23 (I believe?), which is near the end of the game.  Is he really that bad?  Are his growths at least middle-of-the-road?
  • Units in FE6 have different attributes than those in FE7.  How different are these changes, and should I change my strategy based on them?
  • What are some units I should pay attention to?  What units can I feed EXP to, and which ones are acceptable to bench?

Roy gets more hate than he needs, he is decent early because his Rapier, and has meh-good growths. His late promotion and sword lock are issues but do not make him complete trash.

The different attributes do not make that much of a difference/are not that different, if u care about them do some more research as I do not know the exact details.

For units: use Ellen, she is one of my favorite units in the game, she has decent magic, skill, luck and res growths, middling speed, she is of of like 3 light magic users in the game (her, saul and Yoder). Even with 1 base magic she is still very potent. Also, don't let people tell u Wendy and Sophia are useless, they can actually be pretty good, if you want to use an armor knight in FE6 your choices are Bors and Wendy (I don't count Barth/Barst) Sophia can be a very potent dark magic user, most people just use Reigh/Ray. However she has pretty good growths for the most part. If you like either of their characters or designs you can use her and she will be good. you can easily bench Oujay as he is literally just a free armor slayer. For popular units you should use, Lance/Allen, Deike, Rutger, Clarine, Shanna, Sue and MILEDY!!! Miledy is one of not only the best characters but one of the best units!. I personally like to use Clarine and then Ellen or Saul (for me Ellen). FE6 does a lot of 2 of the same unit thing, with Sue and Shin, Rutger and Fir, Ellen and Saul etc. in most of these pairs both are useable with the one recruited later being basically even (Shin has more str and that kind of thing) However both are good and it is personal preference.

Chapters have been covered well above so I will not add more

48 minutes ago, Nate Perkins said:

Also, don't let people tell u Wendy and Sophia are useless, they can actually be pretty good, if you want to use an armor knight in FE6 your choices are Bors and Wendy (I don't count Barth/Barst) Sophia can be a very potent dark magic user, most people just use Reigh/Ray. However she has pretty good growths for the most part. If you like either of their characters or designs you can use her and she will be good.

Dude, just no

First of all, their bases:

UNIT    LV HP MG SK SP LC DF RS CON
Raigh   12 23   12  9   9    6     5  10  4
Sophia  1   15   6   2    4    3    1    8   3

Obviously, Sophia loses out here, but let's say we're babying her like crazy and give her 10 free levels:

UNIT    LV HP MG SK SP LC DF RS CON
Raigh   12 23   12  9   9    6     5  10  4
Sophia 11  21  12  6   7    5     3   14  3

Even after this, she's still worse than Raigh, as that 4 RES is less important than the SKI/SPD/DEF of Raigh. At the very least, you'll have to admit they're comparable. Even after capping out, she, on average, only has +3 Magic and +10 Res over him at the cost of a bunch of 8 SKI and 5 SPD. Now, even here, I'd consider Raigh to be better.
So we're taking a unit with base stats worse than Roy, give her a fuckton of babying despite her uselessness when she join in chapter 14/25 (excluding Gaiden's) and we end up with a unit who is comparable to/worse than Raigh who joins earlier and is useful right off the bat?

This is even ignoring Niime, who admittedly joins later, 5/6 chapters, but who beats them both at that point. So in between chapter 14 and 19 Raigh vastly outclasses Sophia, and after that Niime vastly outclasses her and Raigh is comparable to her. Besides this, we need to feed kills to a squishy shaman who can't 2-round enemies for a long time for a bunch of chapters in one of the harder games in the franchise, just to end up with a mediocre druid.

This means that unless you want to use 3 druids for some reason, she is absolutely useless. So how exactly is she not terrible?

Edited by athena_57

Roy is perfectly fine for as long as he can still level up. 

My 2 cents on Sophia: I will echo other people in saying she is generally not worth the effort, especially considering the chapter she joins. I personally happen to like her and so decided to hoard all my stat-boosting items to give to her, and before my game save was destroyed she was turning out pretty decent, BUT she does require a LOT of investment and babying to be passable. So definitely take the stuff about her (and by extension wendy, I believe) with a grain of salt, and if you don't feel like spending the time and resources to baby them, don't bother with them. You definitely have to pick and choose who to invest in, and using the units who are already strong is generally the better idea in this game from what I've seen. 

I'd like this game better if it wasn't just so gosh-darn player-hostile. SO many new units join at level 1, and the map design / paralogue requirements are pretty sadistic at times. Personally, I had to abuse save states and arena grinding pretty heavily in order for it to be a passable experience for me. I'd say I still enjoyed it, though having my save file destroyed and all the sadism of Ch14, 14x, and the chapter where Klein shows up (forget the number) kind of soured the experience for me just a bit. 

If you think you'll like it, you probably will! Just be aware of what you're getting into haha. Maybe I'm just a baby about this stuff and it won't bother you so bad either. 

57 minutes ago, Nate Perkins said:

Sorry, I don't mean to make this topic into a huge discussion, but this is bad advice on two levels.

One, giving Sophia levels isn't something you can just gloss over. She joins as a level 1 unit at a point of the game where you start promoting the bulk of your team, with bad accuracy (2 base Skl, 3 Lck and Flux, which is the most accurate dark tome, has only middling accuracy), horrible survivability (basically tying Elen and Lalum as the physically squishiest unit in the game, and with her effective base speed of 2, she'll be doubled by about every enemy in the game) and meh damage output (accuracy aside, 14 damage per hit targeting Res isn't a horrible start, but she's literally incapable of doubling anyone at base, so it's hardly "good"). Giving Sophia levels is a huge investment, even on normal mode.

Two, she's not *good* if you do manage to level her up to the same level as the rest of the crew. Compared to Raigh (who is a mid-tier unit at best himself), she only really beat him on Res. Her Mag is marginally higher, but Raigh would be faster, dodgier, more accurate, (slightly) bulkier and only like 1 Mag behind Sophia if they had the same level. As anecdotal "proof", I've played a hack where the order of recruitment was flipped and Sophia joined as one of the hired swords in chapter 2, and she was still very underwhelming. Her horrible starting situation just drops her from a bad unit to a bottom tier unit.

(also, I could make a similar comparison between Bors and Wendy - Bors outperforms her in every meaningful way, even though I'd still recommend using both Allen and Lance over using Bors)

9 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

My 2 cents on Sophia: I will echo other people in saying she is generally not worth the effort, especially considering the chapter she joins. I personally happen to like her and so decided to hoard all my stat-boosting items to give to her, and before my game save was destroyed she was turning out pretty decent, BUT she does require a LOT of investment and babying to be passable. So definitely take the stuff about her (and by extension wendy, I believe) with a grain of salt, and if you don't feel like spending the time and resources to baby them, don't bother with them. You definitely have to pick and choose who to invest in, and using the units who are already strong is generally the better idea in this game from what I've seen. 

This I find is reasonable, though. It's certainly possible to make any unit in the game work, it's just not something I would recommend. But if you wanna do it and think that you're up for the task, go nuts. FE6 just isn't very rewarding in that regard, since these underleveled units do not turn out better than their easier-to-use counterparts.

I'll refrain from retreading what people already said but it should go without saying that it's okay to use them. Sophia or Wendy are fun units to use. Nowadays, beating the games with units I consider poor is a lot more fun than stomping them with the characters I know to be strongest and abusing them.

Edited by Tryhard

Use Sophia and Wendy if you want. Just don't be surprised if they're unable to keep up with your main team.

There's little reason to use Sophia over Raigh or even Niime, but your call. As for Wendy, I've actually had her turn out well once or twice. She just has a terrible start time due to the fact that she joins right before you're heading off to Axeville, Elibe.

On the flipside, it's a good place to train Oujay and Fir if you feel up to trying them out.

Edited by Xanaxian

3 hours ago, Nate Perkins said:

Sorry, but I can't really agree - she can't hit anything due to being stuck with inaccurate dark magic, and this is ignoring her level situation (she's level 1 at the halfway point of the game, and comes in during a chapter that is a hotbed of frustration).

3 hours ago, Nate Perkins said:

Also, don't let people tell u Wendy and Sophia are useless, they can actually be pretty good, if you want to use an armor knight in FE6 your choices are Bors and Wendy (I don't count Barth/Barst) Sophia can be a very potent dark magic user, most people just use Reigh/Ray. However she has pretty good growths for the most part. If you like either of their characters or designs you can use her and she will be good.

No. Just no. Wendy's god-effing-awful joining situation isn't something you can just gloss over - she comes in at level 1... and lance-locked... shortly before Axeville (and as an extra kick in teh nuts, even if I went through training from hell to make her usable, she's not going to be outperforming Bors by any notable margin), and Sophia, I've already explained above.

Anyway, for the OP: 

• Avoid the axe users like the plague - they're all awful
  • Avoid Wendy and Sophia - they're just NWI
  • Look out for chapter 16 - there's an enemy General you must NOT kill to access the gaiden chapter.
  • A healer is a must - you're gonna need Restore later on

All cavalier units are usable, when I played the game I used Alan, Lance, Noah, and Treck. Those are all units you should awtch for, especially Alan, and Lance. If you like archers Dorothy is also pretty good, as well as Shin.

Edited by Tuvy2

10 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Anyway, for the OP: 

• Avoid the axe users like the plague - they're all awful
  • Avoid Wendy and Sophia - they're just NWI
  • Look out for chapter 16 - there's an enemy General you must NOT kill to access the gaiden chapter.
  • A healer is a must - you're gonna need Restore later on

1. They're usable, especially Lot.

2. Wend can also be used, but she does slow you down quite a bit, like the rest of the knights.

3. Sophia isn't very good.

4.He has a portrait so he should be able to find quickly.

5. I suggest Elen, she's also very good.

Eventually you come to a path choice, either getting Echidna and Lalum, or Elphin and Bartre. I think Elphin is better than Lalum, but Echidna is definitely better that Bartre. (Also Oujay is  a pretty neat unit)

You can use any character. Of course, not every character is good, but every character is usable. Use who you like, even if they are bad! Generally just use who you feel like and everything will turn out fine! Use Oujay.  

No but seriously. Use Oujay.

Edited by Tuvy

17 minutes ago, Tuvy2 said:

1. They're usable, especially Lot.

2. Wend can also be used, but she does slow you down quite a bit, like the rest of the knights.

3. Sophia isn't very good.

4.He has a portrait so he should be able to find quickly.

5. I suggest Elen, she's also very good.

1. Sure, they're usable, if you are okay with gambling on every freaking hit, which I am not.

2. She CAN be used, but it's a Herculean struggle, and this is in a game with a penchant for being highly frustrating.

Every character is viable to some extent, but there are some characters that are pretty great.

Dieck: he's an awesome mercenary.

Rutger: he's an awesome mymridon. And one of the most popular characters in Japan.

Percival: if you don't have any paladins by the time you get him, Percival is your man. If you have a paladin already, don't be afraid to bench him for Percival. I will say that Alan, Lance, and Percival are the closest thing you can get to a paladin holy trinity in this game. (Marcus before you get Percival).

Lalum/Elphin: They're your refreshers. If you like refreshers and were already planning to use them, great. If you normally don't, use them for this game. They can't attack back, but the maps in FE6 are huge and enemies are tough. A lot of people try to use the "but what if I employ my 13th strongest unit instead" argument, but for this game, a dancer is better because they're as strong as your strongest unit if they're in range. NM isn't so bad, but they're almost a necessity in harder difficulties, as enemies don't mess around. I'd give them the pair of boots before Roy, because they could always dance for Roy to move again. Roy has to seize.

As for classes:

Archery: nomads are generally better due to good mobility and their promotion gives them swords, so they can attack in the close range. Shin is the best nomad, but Sue isn't bad. Klein isn't a nomad, he's a prepromoted sniper but he gets the job done.

Armor Knights: don't bother, since cavaliers will usually be tanky enough, especially when they promote into paladins. All of the cavaliers have different things going for them, so it's more of a matter of fits your play style.

Mages: You're gonna want at least 1 anima and 1 dark mage on your team. Lilina, Lugh, and Hugh are your anima mages. Lilina is a glass canon and that's really it. She struggles with her other stats due to low bases and the growth not being high enough to make up for it. She needs items. Still usable though. Lugh is regarded as the best, and he has high skill and speed. He may not hit the hardest, but his early start time and potential is great. I really like Hugh, but he comes late and unpromoted. HOWEVER, he's balanced stat-wise, and is sort of like a mixture of the other 2. As for the dark mages, they all come late, but Raigh and Niime are good. Raigh can be a little expensive. Sophia is a terrible unit, unfortunately, but one of the most popular characters in the game. She's pretty and interesting I guess, and that's all she really has going for her. Sorry Sophia fans.

8 hours ago, B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N said:

So, I'm nearing the endgame of Blazing Sword (Eliwood mode, on Chapter 25 rn), and I'm planning on following it up by playing Binding Blade.  I've heard a few things about the game, and I'd like to hear your opinions on what the game is like.

Stuff I've heard around or want to know includes:

If you've been playing Eliwood Normal Mode, then prepare for a difficulty jump in this game, even on Normal. It's not super hard or anything, but Eliwood Normal is a breeze compared to Binding Blade's Normal Mode.

Regarding Roy: I haven't played Normal Mode in a while, but Roy is an okay unit throughout the entire game, though he starts to peter off a few chapters before he promotes. Sucks, because every chapter in his game is a seize chapter, so you have to lug the poor boy from corner to corner.

Personally, I find Allen, Lance, Deke, Lugh, and Rutger to be excellent units. People seem to like Shanna, though I've never really had much success with her, even if her movement is nice. The "if a unit looks good, then they're probably good" rule applies to a lot of units in this game; low-level units with poor movement/bases are generally not worth using. I think the biggest exception to this rule is Sue, but I don't really use her myself. And speaking of movement: maps are big later on in the game. You're going to want to use a lot of units with a lot of move, and thankfully, the game does give you a nice amount of high-movement units. Going back to Lugh, he's really the only "main" offensive magic user you need for a good chunk of the game. The rest aren't really worth using, in my opinion.

Chapter 7 is the first big difficulty jump in the game, but after that, it ain't too bad. 21 is probably another one you should watch out for.

On Chapter 16, the boss has a Delphi Shield you can steal, which I advise stealing. On Normal Mode, he has 16 Speed--one point higher than the Speed stat of the second Thief you get in the game. Thieves are generally not worth using in this game, since they can't promote, but it's worth levelling up said Thief just for this. If you're playing on Hard Mode, said boss as 18, so just bear that in mind (though I imagine you're going to be playing Normal Mode, since Hard is... not advised for a first playthrough).

Don't exhaust any of the legendary weapons.

32 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

On Normal Mode, he has 16 Speed--one point higher than the Speed stat of the second Thief you get in the game.

There's actually no speed requirement to steal in FE6. Stil, said second thief is worth using as a combat unit for a while when he joins, while the others are more trouble to train than they're worth.

RE: Shanna: It's still something I have to try for myself, but a good piece of advice I've read about her is to promote her before or at the start of chapter 9. The upcoming chapters are the axe-heavy part of the game  that has been mentioned in the thread, so having a sword-wielding flyer would be really cool, even if her Str will most likely be not very impressive and she can only wield iron swords. But she will be able to double pretty much everything except maybe myrms on hard mode (she averages 20 speed at level 11/1) and fighters/pirates don't have very high defense, so her damage output should be quite alright. But even if you don't do this, flying utility alone is quite handy on the isles.

Edited by ping

1 minute ago, ping said:

There's actually no speed requirement to steal in FE6. Stil, said second thief is actually worth using as a combat unit for a while when he joins, while the others are more trouble than they're worth.

Really? Never knew. Always levelled him up, since I thought the Thief's speed had to be the same or higher than the enemy's. That's good to know.