What exacly is Whitney so difficult about in GSC? Anyone thinks she's just overrated??

henrymidfields

Is Whitney's difficulty overrated?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Is Whitney's difficulty overrated?

• Yes, her difficulty isn't that much.
    • No, she is genuinely difficult.

6 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Any time a Gym Leader can shove a 210 power Retaliate up your ass, especially one coming off of a base 160 attack stat, only a select few pokemon with a certain ability could survive, even if they resist normal.

Even comming from a 85 attack stat 210BP hurts. Especially early on. And then it tries to put you to sleep. 

And Facade wasn't really better (if annything, it was more vicious.)

And some time you don't need anything special to be a real challenge like Challenge Mode Cheren who is gonna be really hard, unless you have a LV11 Riolu (Marrep helps a little as well.).
I had to use all the Oran Berries I got to have a chance to survive, 

But one of the worst battle against a Normal Type Gym Leader is Norman's Rematch (well, rematches) in Emerald. Things can go wrong really easily here

It's a double battle, and it has He has two Slaking, and two Pokemon with Skill Swap. One is a Chansey/Blissey, so hard to take down (it also has Light Screen to protect Slaking, and Sing for more annoyance. ...And Focus Punch. No idea why)

The other is a Spinda with Own Tempo and Teeter Dance, for maximum annoyance. ANd Hypnosis as well.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 7:48 AM, henrymidfields said:

Her rollout? Sure, I admit, I had a close call even with my Geodude or my traded Machop out, but even with max power, it failed to take either of my Pokemon out in one hit as it was "not very effective" against either.

This is literally the reason you found it easy.

Aside from maybe Heracross there's not really much else built for taking on something as bulky as a Miltank that has decent offenseive stats that can literally steamroll your team if you're not careful. At that point in the game at least. Personally, I've never been one for using Machop or Geodude lines because I'm just not a fan of them.

In the case of Whitney they trivialize her though.

• 2 months later...

Whitney annoyed me as a kid because:

• She's basically a puzzle boss as her Pokemon keep using frickin' Attract, a good number of your effective Pokemon by that point are probably male, and you're evidently supposed to trade for that female Machop to take Miltank down.
  • After giving some young players fits, she has the nerve to throw a fit herself because she, a Gym Leader whose purpose is to test upcoming champions and is expected to lose at some point, lost, requiring you to leave the gym and come back in again instead of, I don't know, just giving you the badge you earned like any mature professional should do. She and Claire both are really bad about this, though Claire's arguably worse since she forces you to go through a cave after you defeat her. It kinda says something that none of the later generations pulled that crap, to my knowledge anyway (I haven't touched a mainstream Pokemon title since Sapphire on GBA while my bro has kept up since Ruby, so he knows way more about the series than I do).

On 22/03/2018 at 6:06 AM, Lord_Brand said:

Whitney annoyed me as a kid because:

• She's basically a puzzle boss as her Pokemon keep using frickin' Attract, a good number of your effective Pokemon by that point are probably male, and you're evidently supposed to trade for that female Machop to take Miltank down.
  • After giving some young players fits, she has the nerve to throw a fit herself because she, a Gym Leader whose purpose is to test upcoming champions and is expected to lose at some point, lost, requiring you to leave the gym and come back in again instead of, I don't know, just giving you the badge you earned like any mature professional should do. She and Claire both are really bad about this, though Claire's arguably worse since she forces you to go through a cave after you defeat her. It kinda says something that none of the later generations pulled that crap, to my knowledge anyway (I haven't touched a mainstream Pokemon title since Sapphire on GBA while my bro has kept up since Ruby, so he knows way more about the series than I do).
  • The fact that female Pokémon are arguably worse than male in Gen 2 doesn't help here (they have less Atk EVs than Male ones.). You have to basically grind that Machop for a single battle in the original game (or get an early Geodude. Another Pokémon eolving by trade btw...)
  • You don't have to leave the badge, you just have to talk to her again after talking to the nearly trainer. Still a whiney baby though...