My musings so far

It shows the attack power, but not the amount of damage that will be done. Why'd they take that out or not use it? If it was that way in Gaiden, they left enough things from that in, they could've used the combat forecast we're all used to and nobody would care.

Got the game yesterday and have some musings other than me complaining about the combat forecast.

Solution was simple and now I feel like an idiot, derp.

Prologue was incredibly cheesy. 10 year old kids don't say things like "we'll be together forever, I promise". Most obvious hint at a later ship I've ever seen in my life. DISNEY handles hinted future ships between minors better. In Lion King for example, Simba and Nala were close and yeah they'd want to stay in each other's lives, but there was no mushiness like there was between Alm and Celica and they went "eww" at the idea of romance. Granted nobody told Alm and Celica "one day you two are gonna be married" but still. Other than that I'm enjoying the writing so far and it's better than Awakening and Fates.

Slayde is despicable, but I loved his "hog feed and horse piss" quote. Profanity always helps a story seem more real and epic imo. People swear. For a lot of different reasons. So when a character who would clearly be the type to curse like a drunk sailor at times never does, it takes away some of the realism for me. Looking at you, Team Skull. Yeah, ratings blah blah, marketed to kids blah blah blah...but anyway that's my opinion.

Faye, girl...I hate to break it to you, but you're setting yourself up for a broken heart. I don't think Alm's the type to have an open relationship or sister wives, and even if he did, he'd favor Celica anyway. Faye got the short end of the stick in character development and that's just sad. All three male villagers have distinct personalities and their interactions are great, but all Faye does is look at Alm and think "boom, pregnant". I've heard of girls saying that about a guy they find attractive/cute/sexy, so yeah. I made Gray a mercenary, Tobin an archer, Kliff a mage, and Faye a cleric, but she's already benched unless I somehow need another healer before long. I don't want her to get any support levels with Alm, they already have a few points toward C, because all he's going to do is reject her anyway.

Gray, lol. "Clair is a girl, and if we rescue a girl...you follow? Hmm?" The ship has already sailed, is that bad at all?

Lukas is a cool dude, but he needs something extra. Constantly serious types like him are always more interesting when that seriousness is turned into a gag. I don't want an overly forced gag like in Awakening and Fates, but I still want a gag. Something like Gray taking Lukas' lance and hiding it somewhere, then putting Tobin on the spot and saying he sold it and now owes Lukas a new lance, and after some back and forth, Gray goes "Just kidding bro, here's your lance, I hid it from you for shits and giggles."

I'll use this thread for more opinions as I go.

Edited by Dragoncat

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

Go into the options and switch it to the simple forecast.

Oh really? I thought that would just make it even worse. I feel dumb now. Thread is now a My Musings thread.

Just now, Dragoncat said:

Oh really? I thought that would just make it even worse. I feel dumb now. Thread is now a My Musings thread.

Ehhh, I found the beginning dialogue between Alm and Celica to be pretty cute, but that's just me.

As for Lukas being super serious, there's actually a support conversation he can have that deals with that, I can't remember who though. 

I personally think that Celica's path has the better characters.

50 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Ehhh, I found the beginning dialogue between Alm and Celica to be pretty cute, but that's just me.

It was cute, yeah, but I rolled my eyes at how OVERLY cute it tried to be.

On 11/11/2017 at 4:32 PM, Dragoncat said:

Lukas is a cool dude, but he needs something extra. Constantly serious types like him are always more interesting when that seriousness is turned into a gag. I don't want an overly forced gag like in Awakening and Fates, but I still want a gag. Something like Gray taking Lukas' lance and hiding it somewhere, then putting Tobin on the spot and saying he sold it and now owes Lukas a new lance, and after some back and forth, Gray goes "Just kidding bro, here's your lance, I hid it from you for shits and giggles."

You'll need the DLC, but the DLC Deliverance maps unlocks supports with Python and Forsyth and gives a lot of insight into Lukas's character. 

8 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Have you meet Berkut yet?

Yeah, I've met him. Not on the battlefield, I just now got to where you control both armies.

@Res Where is the download DLC option though?

Just now, Dragoncat said:

Yeah, I've met him. Not on the battlefield, I just now got to where you control both armies.

When you're on the world map, press X and select 'Connect'. You'll then have the option to buy or play DLC. :)

6 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

You'll come to like him, 

he has the best VO IMO, Ian Sinclair nailed that performance.

7 minutes ago, Res said:

When you're on the world map, press X and select 'Connect'. You'll then have the option to buy or play DLC. :)

I thought that was just for amiibos and I was ignoring it because I have no amiibos lol. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

You'll come to like him, 

he has the best VO IMO, Ian Sinclair nailed that performance.

I thought that dancing scene with him and Rinoa was neat. Fernand was kinda standing there awkwardly though xD Speaking of him, will we find out more about why he hates commoners so much sans the guy in the castle saying his manor was burnt down by commoners? I'm hoping so. He needs more justification for the giant flaming arsehole he is, that's not enough imo.

30 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I thought that was just for amiibos and I was ignoring it because I have no amiibos lol. Thanks.

I thought that dancing scene with him and Rinoa was neat. Fernand was kinda standing there awkwardly though xD Speaking of him, will we find out more about why he hates commoners so much sans the guy in the castle saying his manor was burnt down by commoners? I'm hoping so. He needs more justification for the giant flaming arsehole he is, that's not enough imo.

Ehhh, I don't remember. Perhaps in the DLC which I don't have, but in the main game I don't know anything than his manor was  burned down and 

Spoiler

His family being murdered 

Though he has one of my favorite lines in the game:

"And now you take for your king, a boy you don't know from a gutter rat!"

9 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Ehhh, I don't remember. Perhaps in the DLC which I don't have, but in the main game I don't know anything than his manor was  burned down and 

Reveal hidden contents

His family being murdered 

Though he has one of my favorite lines in the game:

"And now you take for your king, a boy you don't know from a gutter rat!"

Yeah, the manor burnt down and his family was murdered. I wonder if there was a wife and kid or two there...he appears about the age where he could've fathered a kid or kids under the age of 10ish. That'd be plenty of justification. But we don't know whether this family was a wife and kids, or like, aunts/uncles/cousins/etc.

And I literally just got to the part where he says that. But seriously, can we talk about the part where Clair totally puts him in his place? I wanted to give her a standing ovation! Mister Badass Noble Knight got schooled by Little Miss Proper Lady lol.

9 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Yeah, the manor burnt down and his family was murdered. I wonder if there was a wife and kid or two there...he appears about the age where he could've fathered a kid or kids under the age of 10ish. That'd be plenty of justification. But we don't know whether this family was a wife and kids, or like, aunts/uncles/cousins/etc.

And I literally just got to the part where he says that. But seriously, can we talk about the part where Clair totally puts him in his place? I wanted to give her a standing ovation! Mister Badass Noble Knight got schooled by Little Miss Proper Lady lol.

Honestly who doesn't want to give Clair a standing ovation!

still, his family kinda was murdered, I'd be mad regardless of if it was a wife/kids or aunt/uncle.

1 hour ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

still, his family kinda was murdered, I'd be mad regardless of if it was a wife/kids or aunt/uncle.

Yeah, any family being murdered is grounds for being mad, but starting to hate commoners THAT much and refusing to see eye to eye with them and realizing they're not all bad people, I'd think would be more likely to come from a wife and kids being murdered. People tend to be closer to their spouses and kids than extended family.

Edited by Dragoncat

29 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Yeah, any family being murdered is grounds for being mad, but starting to hate commoners THAT much and refusing to see eye to eye with them and realizing they're not all bad people, I'd think would be more likely to come from a wife and kids being murdered. People tend to be closer to their spouses and kids than extended family.

Yeah you have a point. I don't think he mentions having a wife and kids (haven't played DLC), but I'll give him he benefit of the doubt cause we don't know what kind of family it was and I kinda like the guy.