I feel like my entire world has been shattered

Armagon

Hello, this is you're friendly neighborhood Armagon and today i just learned that Pikachu fucking talks in the new movie. See, i was just minding my own business when a friend over at a Discord server i'm in sends me this

Like.....i don't know whether to feel amazed or upset. It's like when they announced that Han Solo isn't Han Solo's real name, as stupid as that is. Hearing Pikachu fucking speak fluent English is the most unreal thing that has happened to me in my entire life. 

How do you feel about this?

I've heard about this movie.

Enough that I am just thinking Nope about the whole thing. More 20th anniversary nostalgia-bombing is one thing, but then the climax just seems awfully familiar in a bad way, with this being the wtf cherry right on top of it. That and something about a dream sequence where Ash lives in a pokemonless world. The cynic in me can't stand it.

I mean I wasn't interested in the movies, but it's still somewhat bizarre this is a thing.

I'm just gonna go wash me ears with some bleach don't mind me.

But seriously, holy fuck why is this a thing. The only pokemon that should ever speak is Meowth.

I will say that the audience reacting probably did have some effect on how I viewed this...

But it's still extremely jarring.  And this comes from a man who hardly plays Pokemon.

And it's a shame, because this seems like it's supposed to be a really touching moment.

Edited by Ertrick36

'_'  That......wow. Literally made the whole theater go "what!?". Which admittedly made me chuckle.

I'm reminded of an episode of one of the first seasons of Pokemon that showed some pokemon acting on a stage and actually speaking English, via some sort of trick, but I can't remember how exactly that was explained. Like some sort of magician's trick or something.

That at least was a one-time thing and justified by some sort of trick. I haven't touched Pokemon since Sapphire, but I'm willing to believe Pikachu is pulling a Lucario here with the whole Aura thing. All the same, that's quite a shock. So what next, make Kirby speak fluent English? (Granted, he did speak fluent Japanese in a few 90's Japanese commercials such as for Kirby's Pinball Land, but he never spoke fluently since.)

I don’t know why, but i always thought that if pikachu spoke a human language, he’d have an extremely deep voice

so yeah, i’m disappointed for this reason

Edited by Nobody

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

I don’t know why, but i always thought that if pikachu spoke a human language, he’d have an extremely deep voice

so yeah, i’m disappointed for this reason

Detective Pikachu has a really deep voice fwiw.

Either way yeah this is really weird.  There's no logical reason for it made apparent in the clip, added to the fact I don't like Ash and his Pikachu much in general... yeah.

Nanananah not listening! 

Well as long as they don't try pulling this on Kirby, I'm okay.

2 hours ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

So what next, make Kirby speak fluent English? (Granted, he did speak fluent Japanese in a few 90's Japanese commercials such as for Kirby's Pinball Land, but he never spoke fluently since.)

They were smart to drop the idea. MK and KD3 getting awful anime English was bad enough.

Pokemon speaking audible intelligible language is a no to all but the smart ones like many legendaries and some Psychic types. Maybe you could make an exception for PMDs, but that is it. Pokemon are cute/cool creatures based around charm, intelligible language can get in the way of that.

Just saying, but, when I went to see it, most people in the theater clapped. Yes, they clapped when he spoke.

Just saying... for the record, I didn't. I wasn't sure how to react on that, to be honest.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

That was an odd decision by the movie's writers.

In events where pokémon could speak human for some strange reason, Pikachu never talked human. You can look at the episode from the X and Y series when there's a Darkrai giving a nightmare to the gang: Pikachu was the ONLY Pokémon who didn't speak human unlike the staters and Bunnelby.

I get the idea but that kinda ruined the magic. The best they could do is say that Pikachu talking was Ash's imagination.

I... uh...

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

It's like when they announced that Han Solo isn't Han Solo's real name

Wait, what?

...!

uhhhmmm...

My life is a lie. Two mind-blowers in one post. I am dead.